Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i cant be alone in thinking that berba played very well, made a noticable difference! giggs played very well too, apart form that i think the rest of the players were in the shop down the road buyin sandwiches when the game was on.....terrible performances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

And there was me, thinking people would over-react.

Yeah its a poor result. Yeah its Burnley but for the love of Jebus it's the second game of the season. I said the same to the Pool fans down the pub last Sunday, when has a title ever been won in August?

We'll get into our stride soon enough. We had 5 points from 4 games at the start of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mr Moon wrote: »
    We fielded such a weak team, shows our mediocre squad, especially when the oldest player on the pitch for us was our best player tonight (Giggs)

I can safely say that we are not going to win the premiership this year with performances like that, were was the team spirit the will to want to win, fúcking joke!!!

were you safely saying that at this point last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

And there was me, thinking people would over-react.

Yeah its a poor result. Yeah its Burnley but for the love of Jebus it's the second game of the season. I said the same to the Pool fans down the pub last Sunday, when has a title ever been won in August?

We'll get into our stride soon enough. We had 5 points from 4 games at the start of last year.

Nonsense were Doooommmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cant wait to hear what saf has to say about that result

should be good

does anyone think that Rooney is carrying to much pressure on his shoulders,he's basically trying to carry the team imo

Nonsense were Doooommmed.

Agreed.

Sack Fergie
    Sell Giggs
    Sign Chris Eagles

Headshot wrote: »

should be good

does anyone think that Rooney is carrying to much pressure on his shoulders,he's basically trying to carry the team imo

was just on SSN. Basically Burnley good, us bad :)

should be good

He basically said well done to Burnley and their and they're disappointed to have lost an early game against a lower side (not in those words).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Liam O wrote: »

Chelsea look a lot more together than they were in the first half of last year though, so there may simply not be the room for as many slip-ups this year.

It just keeps coming back to the midfield issue for me. We need someone badly.

Agreed.

Sack Fergie
    Sell Giggs
    Sign Chris Eagles
    Bring Back Tevez
    Let Evra take the penos from now on instead of carrick

FYP

• Advertisement

was just on SSN. Basically Burnley good, us bad :)

that all

pffft

defence is class,striker force is great but im sounding like a broken record but that CM is shocking

no creativity at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

how did anderson play tonight? create much?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

No, I had belief in the squad for some reason, I just don't see it this year! The team looked nervous and didn't show any belief that they could win! Even when Carrick stood up to take the peno I thought he was going to miss! 3 points from 2 games against promoted teams and 1 goal!

Sure the match is just over and people are disappointed I'm just annoyed at the result, considering our rivals made light work of their games!

What good is going to Asia for pre season if the players come back and have a slow start to the premiership every year? It's obviously not testing the players!

Sorry I'll read back this tomorrow when I'm calm and argue with half the points I've made!!!

Chelsea look a lot more together than they were in the first half of last year though, so there may simply not be the room for as many slip-ups this year.

A) How can you judge that from two games?
    B) Chelsea were unbeaten from August until the end of October last season.. can't get much better than that? (20 points from 27)

am I getting deja vu? That is EXACTLY what was said at the start of last season. Chelsea have looked shaky in the first half of all their games and have had to come from behind in their last 3 games. If it stays like that then soon they'll have a few performances like United tonight imo.

am I getting deja vu? That is EXACTLY what was said at the start of last season. Chelsea have looked shaky in the first half of all their games and have had to come from behind in their last 3 games. If it stays like that then soon they'll have a few performances like United tonight imo.

Fair enough, I'm just going on what appears to be the case regarding morale etc / the atmosphere in the dressing room is reported as being a lot better, but I take your point.

I guess I'm just disappointed with the fact that we seemed to have so little self-belief and desire to make things happen :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

meh, Burnley score, put all their men behind the ball. It's gonna be difficult. Score the penalty and would've been a different story. Early days yet, and United usually make sub-par starts to the season :D

Can people just read this before posting again with their doom and gloom bs.

Fair enough, 2 pretty ****e performances but for whatever reason we never start the season well.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Can people just read this before posting again with their doom and gloom bs.

Fair enough, 2 pretty ****e performances but for whatever reason we never start the season well.

more than that P

we're missing somthing

that all

pffft

defence is class,striker force is great but im sounding like a broken record but that CM is shocking

no creativity at all

Well he's hardly going to run around waving his arms in the air shouting "We're fooked! Pool for the title now."

People need to chill out and stop bashing the panic buttons on their computers.

• Advertisement

more than that P

we're missing somthing

I just cannot stand overreaction after games and so early in the season as well. Really tilts the crap out of me, it was just as bad at the weekend with Utd fans banging on about Pool.

Well he's hardly going to run around waving his arms in the air shouting "We're fooked! Pool for the title now."

People need to chill out and stop bashing the panic buttons on their computers.

ffs mate

you havnt seen me over reacting yet

I wanted fergie to be angry but not criticise individual players

I use to always back ando to the tilt,but **** it ,i just find it harder and harder these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think some people realise the gravity of the problem.

I'll be honest, I don't think the signings made have been good enough for a title win/CL challenge. I kind of hoped they would be rather than believed it. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction either, it's reality setting in.

The fact is while a winger was sold - Ronaldo - and a winger signed - Valencia - the truth is the winger we sold was basically 3 players in one and more proven players were needed.

As for Tevez, he was basically 2 players in one. Not just someone who had the ability to pop up with a goal, but who could fall back into midfield and pressure defenders and defensive midfielders. Was he adequately replaced? Hard to say.

Since signing someone like Ribery was a non-starter, I think about 5 top signings were needed.

To replace Ronaldo we should have gone for not only Valencia but another winger, say someone like Ashley Young and also a creative midfield type player such as Arsenal have with Fabregas. Obviously we've no chance of getting him, but we need someone like that. Obertan was a risky signing. Tosic could come good sure, but he's not proven at this level and if Park can't cut it as a starting player - and I'm starting to think this is the case - then can Tosic?

To replace Tevez, we went for Michael Owen and the decision was made that by signing the unproven lad Diouf from Molde, him and other strikers like Macheda and Welbeck did away with the need for another striker to be signed. I don't necessarily have a problem with this logic as I think we can cope in this area, but I do however think the midfield needs bolstering. If we fail to get at least another top player in, whether it be a winger or a creative midfielder, then I can't see how we can claim title number 19 or make an impact in Europe.

Look at the midfield players available and compare it to Chelsea. We have Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Park, Giggs, Tosic, Nani, Fletcher, Gibson. They have Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Malouda, Joe Cole, Zhirkov, Mikel, Deco.

Get the idea? We're in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

First 2 games

09/10: 3 pts
    08/09: 4 pts
    07/08: 2 pts

Let's not get too fatalistic here lads... Disappointing, and we could certainly improve the squad, but it's early days

Dave! wrote: »
    First 2 games

09/10: 4 pts

Let's not get too fatalistic here lads... Disappointing, and we could certainly improve the squad, but it's early days

hate repearing myself but Ronaldo missed the start of 08/09 season

more than that P

we're missing somthing

The players tonight lacked hunger and there may have been a sense of overconfidence in the team. Valencia should've started and I'd have liked to see Giggs on the left again but I don't mind Park. Tbh, I think it would've done us the world of good to buy Palacios in January but that's in the past now and there are no CMs available at reasonable prices that are an improvement on what we have now. Also we didn't have ANY naturally wide players starting tonight (except Giggs ironically :rolleyes: ) so the team's shape was terrible and Fergie was asking for a kick in the ass

• Advertisement

Look at the midfield players available and compare it to Chelsea. We have Carrick, Anderson, Scholes, Park, Giggs, Tosic, Nani. They have Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Malouda, Joe Cole, Zhirkov, Mikel.

Get the idea? We're in big trouble.

Don't count Fletcher and Gibson as midfield players?

Gibson shouldnt be near the team

how he is still there is mind boggling

I hear inter are interesting in Sneijder but ffs around 80m in the bank,we should be bullying other teams, we should be looking at van der vaart too

Fair enough edited, although I'm not sure Gibson will be relied upon too much in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Sneijder, Silva and Robben all for under 60Million. Then we would be sorted.

Course Sneijders knees are iffy and Robben has weetabix hamstrings but meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

First 2 games

4 points for a win now is it? Come on i know the FA favour United but that's taking the piss.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

First 2 games

Nice maths.

that would make us favourites for the league by far

Am i going over board in thinking this is the worse utd side for along time
    just compare it to last yr and the 99 and so on

edit

i am probably going over board

Fair enough edited, although I'm not sure Gibson will be relied upon too much in the grand scheme of things.

imo Gibson would've been a great player to bring on tonight. Burnley weren't threatening us and his long shots provide a very good option when there are 10 men behind the ball and may have drawn defenders out to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

One poxy result and people on here wanting to sign half of Europe :eek:

Score the peno and the odds are we may well have won it as they could have opened up a bit more but a draw wouldnt have been too bad in the scheme of things. It was a kak result but making 6 changes from a team that played 2 days ago was needless and backfired spectacuarly.

3 pts at Wigan and we're OK....again.

best part of your post by far mate.

as i said in the owen thread, cant be doing with this kind of reaction from a) utd fans and b) the opposition fans after 2 games of the season.

Enjoy your evening all and try not to get too depressed!!

Bandit12 wrote: »
    4 points for a win now is it? Come on i know the FA favour United but that's taking the piss.;)

what?

:rolleyes: lol at the FA favouring United btw. Ask Rio and Evra how much favour they got when they were unfairly banned.

No Vidic/Rio + Loss of Ronaldo + general thinking that signings made arent up to par+ the need to bolster midfield+ two terrible performances= overreacting United fans.

Lets not forget the midfield is the same as last season, I agree it needs strengthening but its not all doom and gloom. We didnt have our first choice centre half pairing or GK tonight and a lot of players put in bad performances.

Calm down.Calm down.

I am slightly worried though.

Liam O wrote:
    imo Gibson would've been a great player to bring on tonight. Burnley weren't threatening us and his long shots provide a very good option when there are 10 men behind the ball and may have drawn defenders out to him.

I thought the same actually but I just don't think Fergie believes he has it in him to change the course of a game.
    that would make us favourites for the league by far

Am i going over board in thinking this is the worse utd side for along time
    just compare it to last yr and the 99 and so on

edit

I'd sum it up like this - do we have any world class midfielders at this moment? Players who would get into any top side in Europe? In my opinion, no we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gibson shouldnt be near the team

how he is still there is mind boggling

I hear inter are interesting in Sneijder but ffs around 80m less owed to the bank,we should be bullying other teams, we should be looking at van der vaart too

FYP. :D

Seriously though, talk about kneejerk reactions here.

Don't remember many Utd fans calling for an overhaul when you were playing the odd game badly but winning 1-0. All that was different tonight was a tonne of defensive injuries and a missed penno.

If you think that somehow going forward Utd will continue to play like this, then I find it hard to believe that you've been following Fergie's career for very long.

Sizzler wrote: »
    One poxy result and people on here wanting to sign half of Europe :eek:

I've wanted to sign half of Europe since June. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You don't need 3 attacking players. You need 2 at most and a top class deep sitting midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gosplan wrote: »
    FYP. :D

Seriously though, talk about kneejerk reactions here.

Don't remember many Utd fans calling for an overhaul when you were playing the odd game badly but winning 1-0. All that was different tonight was a tonne of defensive injuries and a missed penno.

If you think that somehow going forward Utd will continue to play like this, then I find it hard to believe that you've been following Fergie's career for very long.

Just because you don't remember it, doesn't mean there weren't fans who were very annoyed and worried about the performances of the team for periods last season. Or fans who pointed out, loads, in the summer that we were weak in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You don't need 3 attacking players. You need 2 at most and a top class deep sitting midfielder.

Probably right, but having a top class attacking player in midfield would allow us to be that bit more compact in midfield, like last season, and enable the players we do have to perform more competently defensively.

Jesus, I actually think that the Liverpool fans are making more sense than the United fans tonight :eek: something's wrong.

must add that that doesn't include the ones who came with comments like 'lol' but the ones who are being very mature and reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

you need fletcher playing week in week out and carrick getting his finger out

and anderson out of the team

I thought the same actually but I just don't think Fergie believes he has it in him to change the course of a game.

I'd sum it up like this - do we have any world class midfielders at this moment? Players who would get into any top side in Europe? In my opinion, no we don't.

just looking at the 99 team atm

that midfield was unreal

I would say 2009 defence would be even with 99 but I would probably pick 99 strikers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

what?

:rolleyes: lol at the FA favouring United btw. Ask Rio and Evra how much favour they got when they were unfairly banned.
    Emm you get 3 points for a win not 4. :o It's Okay,it's late and you've just had a bad result.;)

just looking at the 99 team atm

that midfield was unreal

I would say 2009 defence would be even with 99 but I would probably pick 99 strikers

imo the individual strikers we have now are twice as good as Yorke and Cole but they were a great partnership which we haven't had up front since Ruud left.

VDS
    JOS
    Vida---Rio
    Evra

Carrick
    Silva
    Sneijder---Robben

Roo

Berbs

IMO.

But Im dreaming obv.

• Advertisement

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Emm you get 3 points for a win not 4. :o It's Okay,it's late and you've just had a bad result.;)

yeah and how is getting 4 points from 2 games not possible? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement