Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

right folks where can i pick up a Munich air disaster 50th anniversary shirt

the one that utd wore against city

btw mg that was a very emotional day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Headshot wrote: »

I thought that they couldn't be got, that was the whole point of it? :confused: I dont know mate.
    Just spotted that Van Der vaart has been told he's surplus to requirements at Madrid this year. Sneaky 10 million bid anyone? :D
    Rafael van der Vaart is expecting to leave Real Madrid after learning he is not in new coach Manuel Pellegrini's plans for the season.
    The Holland international only joined Real from Hamburg last summer, but has been deemed surplus to requirements following the big-money arrivals at the Bernabeu.
    Chelsea have previously been linked with a bid for the midfielder, while former clubs Ajax and Hamburg are also reportedly keen.
    Van der Vaart confirmed Pellegrini has told him he will be on the periphery this term and revealed Real want to recoup the 16million euros (£13.5m) paid to Hamburg 12 months ago.
    "The coach told me I won't get much chance to play, so it's not an option to stay here," Van der Vaart told De Telegraaf.
    "Real want to get my transfer fee back. I completely understand that clubs want to wait."
    The 26-year-old would be prepared to return to Hamburg and admits his priority is to find a club where he will play regular first-team football.
    He added: "Of course I am interested in HSV, but it's not the only option for me.
    "The most important thing is that I will play at a new club."

nicklauski wrote: »
    I thought that they couldn't be got, that was the whole point of it? :confused: I dont know mate.

dont know

if it's not be officially for sale,maybe some dodgy shirt sites have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

nicklauski wrote: »
    Just spotted that Van Der vaart has been told he's surplus to requirements at Madrid this year. Sneaky 10 million bid anyone? :D

I was told by someone(Liverpool fan:P) that Madrid bid 20mill + Van Der Vaart for Alonso.
    dont know

if it's not be officially for sale,maybe some dodgy shirt sites have them

They said a week or two before the game that the shirts aren't on sale from the club itself because they didn't want to profit from such a tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

some crowd in Iceland were making them, dunno if they can still be got though.

http://www.redcafe.net/f6/icelandic-sports-brand-henson-produce-munich-anniversary-shirts-182155/
    They said a week or two before the game that the shirts aren't on sale from the club itself because they didn't want to profit from such a tragedy.

I'd be very sceptical at this being the truth of it. Surely it would be a perfect opportunity to raise funds for retired footballers falling on hard times?

More likely Nike and AIG exerted significant pressure on the club not to sell anything without their endorsements on them, as those would have sold like hot cakes.

• Advertisement

some crowd in Iceland were making them, dunno if they can still be got though.

http://www.redcafe.net/f6/icelandic-sports-brand-henson-produce-munich-anniversary-shirts-182155/

cheers mate

probably shouldnt buy it thou

rethinking about it again,its not the best that an individual is making a profit on the shirt

but I would love one of the shirts,but you cant always get what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

cheers mate

probably shouldnt buy it thou

rethinking about it again,its not the best that an individual is making a profit on the shirt

but I would love one of the shirts

Make one yourself dude, 'twas a fairly simple design ;)

Just thinking back to the day, it was done so well with both teams in the old kits and all the scarfs in the stadium - wish i'd been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I said a year ago that United will ultimately be better off in the long term if they sold Ronaldo. I still stand by that assertion but there is always going to be a period of adjustment when such a crucial player leaves.

i would have agreed with you when you said so previously, but I don't think United have adequately strengthened the squad with the money we got from Ronaldo to 'push on' on as we could, and probably should have done.

i would have agreed with you when you said so previously, but I don't think United have adequately strengthened the squad with the money we got from Ronaldo to 'push on' on as we could, and probably should have done.

tbh, I'd say Fergy was looking around him and realised none of the top 4 have really 'pushed on' significantly and decided to hold onto his cash a bit longer to be sure of his buys. The squad ye have will still challenge no question.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him outlay a few quid in Jan, maybe one of those young Brazilians that have been mentioned when their hype has died down again and their season is over.

tbh, I'd say Fergy was looking around him and realised none of the top 4 have really 'pushed on' significantly and decided to hold onto his cash a bit longer to be sure of his buys. The squad ye have will still challenge no question.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him outlay a few quid in Jan, maybe one of those young Brazilians that have been mentioned when their hype has died down again and their season is over.
    while the other sides may not have pushed on, they haven't, possibly, taken a backwards step by losing their best player and most potent goal threat.

• Advertisement

my new face palm pic, ill probably be using this in the new season

saf_face_palm.jpg

:D

while the other sides may not have pushed on, they haven't, possibly, taken a backwards step by losing their best player and most potent goal threat.

remember the Henry effect though? After Henry left the Gunners, players like Hleb, Ade, Cesc and Rosicky (til he got injured) really stepped up as they found themselves with a lot more freedom to get on the ball and dictate play.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same thing happen with Rooney, Berba, Anderson, and possibly Nani if he ever learns how to screw on his head.

one step backwards, to take two steps forwards. As an Arsenal fan my biggest concern this year would still be United ahead of all others, despite the loss of Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

my new face palm pic, ill probably be using this in the new season

saf_face_palm.jpg

Caption:

So Fergie, £55m on Aguero?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

remember the Henry effect though? After Henry left the Gunners, players like Hleb, Ade, Cesc and Rosicky (til he got injured) really stepped up as they found themselves with a lot more freedom to get on the ball and dictate play.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same thing happen with Rooney, Berba, Anderson, and possibly Nani if he ever learns how to screw on his head.

one step backwards, to take two steps forwards. As an Arsenal fan my biggest concern this year would still be United ahead of all others, despite the loss of Ronaldo.

Not forgetting when patrick viera left ye ended up in the Champions League Final.

I know some people are annoyed by the lack of big name signings. I think Many united fans (Including myself) were initially hoping for some consolation in a few "names" being brought in after Ronaldo left.

At this stage i'm over the loss of Ron and looking to how the names we do have will set up and perform as a team. I think the squad we have can do well.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Make one yourself dude, 'twas a fairly simple design ;)

Just thinking back to the day, it was done so well with both teams in the old kits and all the scarfs in the stadium - wish i'd been there.

I was there.. great occasion, shame about the result though:(

City should have gone all out on the kit, rather than just take a few bit off the jersey, 'Thomas Cook' was still sprwled across their stomachs:mad:

i simply worry that the side lacks a spark and goal threat from midfield.

I understand.

Looking at Europes most successful side last season, Barca, they scored buckets of goals and won everything. Most came from three players all forwards.

In La Liga Iniesta had 4 and xavi had 6.

Ronaldo only had 18 in the league last season. Its not an impossible amount to replace when you have a squad like uniteds.

the midfield will get goals

they wont have to cover defensibly for Ronaldo either

so just have to look at it that way

valencia will get goals,im sure of that,imagine him on the counter attacks

blistering speed etc

I wouldnt be suprise if ando takes the frees now or even the penos

the guy is brilliant at penos

valencia will get goals,im sure of that,imagine him on the counter attacks

blistering speed etc

With Rooney and Berb around to lay on passes for him on the counter he will get plenty of chances.

If he doesn't take them himself he might set another player up (If they keep up with him!)

DM-ICE wrote: »
    With Rooney and Berb around to lay on passes for him on the counter he will get plenty of chances.

If he doesn't take them himself he might set another player up (If they keep up with him!)

they'll be alot more crosses coming into the box too
    berba should be getting on a few

but for berba's height,he should be getting more headed goals thou

• Advertisement

they'll be alot more crosses coming into the box too
    berba should be getting on a few

but for berba's height,he should be getting more headed goals thou

He really should get more, maybe this season he will be told to get into the box to try and get on some crosses.

Is Kiko any use in the air? he looks taller everytime i see him.

I understand.

Looking at Europes most successful side last season, Barca, they scored buckets of goals and won everything. Most came from three players all forwards.

In La Liga Iniesta had 4 and xavi had 6.

Ronaldo only had 18 in the league last season. Its not an impossible amount to replace when you have a squad like uniteds.

Do any of our midfielders have the trickery and creativeness of Iniesta and Xavi though? Carrick on his very best day can pass with the best of them, but Iniesta and Xavi are on another level control and creativity wise to him, and he'd be our top midfielder.

As I said, it isn't just about a goal threat from midfield, it is a 'spark' that I think is missing, something Ronaldo made up for with his massive goal threat.

He really should get more, maybe this season he will be told to get into the box to try and get on some crosses.

Is Kiko any use in the air? he looks taller everytime i see him.

you know I cant remember did kiko score any headed goals in the reserves league

kiko is still only 17 and 6ft

so you dont stop growing till around 20

Do any of our midfielders have the trickery and creativeness of Iniesta and Xavi though? Carrick on his very best day can pass with the best of them, but Iniesta and Xavi are on another level control and creativity wise to him, and he'd be our top midfielder.

As I said, it isn't just about a goal threat from midfield, it is a 'spark' that I think is missing, something Ronaldo made up for with his massive goal threat.

My eyes read spark but for some reason my mind ignored it! Spark is an issue and Barca also have Messi.

Uniteds Central Midfield Players are more athletic than creative. I can only imagine Fergie expects the creative play in the middle to come from Rooney and Berba with Carrick and hopefully Anderson contributing.

Additional spark should be able to come from pace on the wings of Valencia, Nani, and Evra. Other guys like Fabio, Rafael and Tosic should be able to bring extra saprk from the wings.

My eyes read spark but for some reason my mind ignored it! Spark is an issue and Barca also have Messi.

Uniteds Central Midfield Players are more athletic than creative. I can only imagine Fergie expects the creative play in the middle to come from Rooney and Berba with Carrick and hopefully Anderson contributing.

Additional spark should be able to come from pace on the wings of Valencia, Nani, and Evra. Other guys like Fabio, Rafael and Tosic should be able to bring extra spark from the wings.

I know he isnt a MF but I believe berba will be a right proper spark for us next season and I cant wait for my man tosic given a few chance in the league

I know he isnt a MF but I believe berba will be a right proper spark for us next season and I cant wait for my man tosic given a few chance in the league

Berba certainly has "It".

Tosic (And Nani) will be interesting to watch this year. The goal tosic got in pre season shows his belief in himself.

Nani cartainly has it, Berba has belief and Belief in your own ability can get you a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    Brown injured?

injured?

injured?

You tell me, what did you hear/read.

injured?

he picked up an injury doing the asia tour

iirc it's a thigh muscle strain

so not serious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

you know I cant remember did kiko score any headed goals in the reserves league

kiko is still only 17 and 6ft

so you dont stop growing till around 20

im 19 and ive stopped i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

he picked up an injury doing the asia tour

iirc it's a thigh muscle strain

so not serious

hopefully not, one of our best defenders imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I was interested to read SAF setting out a target of 100 goals this season, especially this comment.
    "Those goals from midfield have dried up a little in recent years, so we have to address that. I will be looking to [Ji-Sung] Park, Nani, [new sigining Luis Antonio] Valencia – even [Danny] Welbeck and [Federico] Macheda – to contribute 40 goals between them. The defenders will contribute a few from set-pieces, too."
    I'm not convinced there's 40 goals to be got from the above.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/01/alex-ferguson-manchester-united-100-goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

*adds mink man to ignore list*

United are after another youngster
    sky sports wrote:
    Manchester United have handed a trial to Swedish starlet Linus Sjoberg.

The 15-year-old midfielder is currently with Vasteras but he has been spotted by United's Scandinavian scouting network.

The Premier League champions have now made an offer and Sjoberg is expected to link up with United on trial later this summer.

"You have to be cautious dealing with the social and footballing parts as the social environment is important when you are younger," agent Martin Klette told Fotbollskanalen.

"There are both good and bad foreign clubs as there are good and bad Swedish clubs.

"People have a tendency to focus on younger players that have had problems abroad and forget that there are very good clubs to grow in abroad."

Aidric wrote: »
    I was interested to read SAF setting out a target of 100 goals this season, especially this comment.

I'm not convinced there's 40 goals to be got from the above.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/01/alex-ferguson-manchester-united-100-goals

I'd say roughly 17-20 goals between them, they will get no where near 40 imo... I hope I'm wrong!

I think if Nani is given a bigger role (which im sure he will be) he could easily get 10 league goals. Against weaker teams he often gets himself on the scoresheet, take into account his odd wondergoal aswell.

Park, i think is capable of 5 goals.

Valencia in an unknown quantity, he could get 5, he could get 15, we wont know untill we see how he does.

Welbeck and Macheda, again we dont know, im expecting at least 5 from Kiko.

Carrick will get a few, Anderson will get a few this season i reckon, Scholes? Giggs?

40 from midfield isnt impossible.

• Advertisement

Park will need to play a more attacking role games if he's to get goals, was his goal against Chelsea his only one last year or did he get another?

I'd say Scoles and Giggs will get 4/5 between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

ShaneU wrote: »
    *adds mink man to ignore list*

United are after another youngster

lol harsh man, and no need to broadcast it really.

Our youth squad is fairly bulking up, some great prospects.

Petrucci will be the one I'll be watching the most.

It's a pity Arsenal beat us to the Ramsey signing last summer, he looks a very very tidy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Valencia to get 15 would be very ambitious!

Sir Alex was talking about all competitions there, theres a good chance of them players hitting the 40 mark.

I expect Nani to get around 15, Park around 9/10, Valencia 8/9, then the likes of Vidic to get around 6 and Macheda to get maybe 9 or so.

Carrick and Anderson may also have greater chances this season, expect Carrick to get around 7 goals, and Anderson well who knows :pac: I'l give a guess of 4 goals lol.

Smegball wrote: »

It's a pity Arsenal beat us to the Ramsey signing last summer, he looks a very very tidy player.

Very harsh alright

Petrucci is out injured at the moment,he got a hip problem which was caused by a growth spurt.

I thought that ramsey deal was in the bag because giggs is his hero , disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I expect Nani to get around 15, Park around 9/10, Valencia 8/9, then the likes of Vidic to get around 6 and Macheda to get maybe 9 or so.

Some of your figures are unbelievably optimistic!

Very harsh alright

Petrucci is out injured at the moment,he got a hip problem which was caused a growth spurt.

I thought that ramsey deal was in the bag because giggs is his hero , dissapointing

Me too, ah well at least we were lucky to miss out on his compatriot Bale :pac: Might have not won a league game since :pac:

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Some of your figures are unbelievably optimistic!

They are for all competitions though, from all the gametime from the PL, CL, CC and FA Cup I'd say they are attainable :)

Sir Alex was talking about all competitions there, theres a good chance of them players hitting the 40 mark.

Carrick and Anderson may also have greater chances this season, expect Carrick to get around 7 goals, and Anderson well who knows :pac: I'l give a guess of 4 goals lol.

Nani-7/8
    Park-3/4
    Valencia-6/7
    Macheda+Welbeck-7/8
    Carrick-3/4
    Ando-4
    Fletcher/Scholes/Giggs-5/6
    Defenders-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

They are for all competitions though, from all the gametime from the PL, CL, CC and FA Cup I'd say they are attainable :)

Yeah I was aware you meant for all competitions and still think they are not realistic at all. On what basis, for example, do you have for thinking Park will score so many?

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Yeah I was aware you meant for all competitions and still think they are not realistic at all. On what basis, for example, do you have for thinking Park will score so many?

ill have to agree with p_larkin99 here

park isn't the best in the final third at all

IMO Park is a left/right-midfielder rather than a left/right winger. He's good until he gets to the opposition box and then I think he starts to feel pressurised to make a quick decision.

Maybe the Park estimate was a bit optimistic lol, better to be optimistic than pessimistic I suppose :pac:

Im going to list everyone who i think will score this season and how much i think they will get, then come back at the end of the season and see how accurate i was:

Rooney: 24
    Berbatov: 19
    Owen: 16
    Nani: 10
    Macheda: 6
    Vidic: 6
    Valencia: 5
    Anderson: 5
    Carrick: 5
    Park: 3
    Fletcher: 3
    Giggs: 3
    Welbeck: 2
    Scholes: 2
    Ferdinand: 2
    O'Shea: 2
    Hargreaves: 2
    Evra: 1
    Brown: 1
    Rafael: 1
    Gibson: 1

That is a total of 119 goals in all competitions. This is based entirely on my own opinions and expectations, some of which may be too much or too little to some people. Lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fair play to ya Mikeyt, that's a lot of predicting.

I'm going to make one prediction: Valencia 15 goals in all competitions.
    I know it's a bit ambitious but I feel he will surprise everybody and really shine with United this season.
    I'm very excited about him at United. I think he's a real talent and I'm really glad that he's coming into our team.

Remember peeps, I said 15:cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement