Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People forget we only finished a point behind Chelsea last season.

We could very easily have won Champions League had we had bit luck against Bayern(who deserved to go through may I add)

I still think Chelsea would have found the going much tougher had they got further in Champions League themselves.

I dont see anyone cathing United or Chelsea next season at least anyway.

If we get a world class Midfielder we have every chance of retaining the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

adrian, while that is certainly true, the fact is, we didn't.

We lost to Bayern. We lost to Chelsea. And we missed the chance at another double.
    Why did we lose to Bayern? Most people will point to the red card, but the fact of the matter is we were ****e in the first leg, and we concedded soft goals. IMO the primary reason for this was the weakness of our central midfield. Carrick ****ing up makes it very visible, but in general, we were just overrun.
    The same was true against Chelsea.

Now, Chelsea are going to strengthen. The manager is going to have a second year on the job so they will get better. They've already gotten rid of some chaf, like Cole and Ballack, and are sure to replace them with youth talent.

They are without a doubt our main rivals for the PL, but Arsenal, Spurs or City imo could put together a decent run. We will need to win a lot more tougher games. This is where the central midfield comes in, and this is where we fell down.

We played Chelsea twice last year, and lost twice. That, right there, was the league. You need to be able to beat the team at least once, and frankly, I have really no hope that we could take them considering our current team.

Everyone else, everyone, is going to improve this summer (bar Liverpool but who cares). We need to strengthen in midfield for us to have a shot at the league.

As for the CL, Barca are only going to get better, as are Madrid. Barca just spend 50 million on Villa and Mata, despite winning the league. Mourinho just hired one of, if not the, best manager in the world. Inter are going to be a little weaker, but Rafa is poor in the transfer market, but great with tactics, and he has a damm good squad there to work with.

We need to strengthen. If we get a world class central midfielder, it might be enough. But for that to be enough, the following things also need to happen:

- Rooney will have to maintain last years form
    - Berbatov will have to find top form
    - Nani will have to maintain his second half of the season form
    - Valencia will have to do the same
    - Anderson will need to make a come back to the top level
    - Fletcher will need to maintain his form
    - Ferdinand will need to find fitness
    - Hargreaves needs to be back and playing

If two of these things don't happen, imo, we don't have a chance. We need to strengthen in central midfield, but we also need to strengthen on the wings. If Berbatov can't find form, we need a striker who can.
    At a minimum we need a central midfielder, and that might be enough, but in reality, to keep up with Barca, we need much more than that.

Barca's front 6

Villa
    --Pedro
    Messi-
    Iniesta

Xavi
    Busquets----

We match in terms of DM, maybe even better. We match in terms of striker. Nani is probably as good as Pedro.

Iniesta, Xavi and Messi outstrip anything we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

People forget we only finished a point behind Chelsea last season.
    People also forget that it was quite a low winning points total last season. We had a poor season and normally wouldn't have been so close to the winners.
    If we get a world class Midfielder we have every chance of retaining the Premiership.

Agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

linked to Raul Meirelesand Jesus Navas this morning. Not sure about either to be honest.

Not sure on Navas cause I simply think we don't need him. He is a right winger who in all likelyhood (imo) would not settle at the club and not do that well, on top of the fact we already have two top class right wingers (though one will primarily playing on the left). He woud be an expensive player we don't need, while we do need to strengthen elsewhere.

As for Meireles, I simply don't know enough about him. He has done well for Portugal so far in this WC but that is basically it for all I know about him. Don't know what type of midfielder he is.

Both stories coming from caughtoffside though, so don't put much weight behind them.

As for the current discussion regarding our squad, I have spoken about it enough - suffice to say, I don't think we are good enough in central midfield and we will suffer as a result of it unless 1 (absolutely required) or 2 (would be very nice) top class central players are added to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hope that's not true. Navas would be surplus to requirement on the right hand side and Meireles' hair and tattoos really annoy me. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

linked to Raul Meirelesand Jesus Navas this morning. Not sure about either to be honest.

Not sure on Navas cause I simply think we don't need him. He is a right winger who in all likelyhood (imo) would not settle at the club and not do that well, on top of the fact we already have two top class right wingers (though one will primarily playing on the left). He woud be an expensive player we don't need, while we do need to strengthen elsewhere.

As for Meireles, I simply don't know enough about him. He has done well for Portugal so far in this WC but that is basically it for all I know about him. Don't know what type of midfielder he is.

Both stories coming from caughtoffside though, so don't put much weight behind them.

As for the current discussion regarding our squad, I have spoken about it enough - suffice to say, I don't think we are good enough in central midfield and we will suffer as a result of it unless 1 (absolutely required) or 2 (would be very nice) top class central players are added to the squad.

Is it Jesus Navas who is incredibly homesick? Can't see it if this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Neither will happen. Unless someone is sold I don't think anybody will be coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Both of our gamers against Porto this year I thought he was easily Porto's best player and certainly the best player on the pitch in the first leg. I've a lot of time for Meireles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Everytime i've seen Meireles play he's been quality! Navas will never leave Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

If we get a world class Midfielder we have every chance of regaining the Premiership.

FYP - we don't have it at the moment to be able to retain it! :(

But I do agree that injuries permitting (i.e. a bitta luck) and a really top class midfielder and we would definitely be there or thereabouts imo. But these two factors are massive in themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Anthony16 wrote: »
    If gerrard goes,which seems likely then its all downhill for liverpool.
    Yes,united probably will go that way but since we wont win anything decent for a long time to come its nice to be on top of liverpool(something to fall back on)

Just because Liverpool will have a fight on their hands to finish in the top four doesnt mean they wont win 1/2 of the 3 Cup competions their in.
    If Rooney hadnt got injured away to B.Munich we would have made final and gone on to win the league going by the world class form he was in. Of course if he suffers in form/injuries in future end of season run ins we will struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wheres conno and his ****e about suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Osu wrote: »
    Neither will happen. Unless someone is sold I don't think anybody will be coming in.

I honestly think we should cash in on Vidic if the cash in full was given to Fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Trilla wrote: »
    I honestly think we should cash in on Vidic if the cash in full was given to Fergie

No we should try keep Vidic at all costs, why would you want to cash in on one of the best central defenders in the world? we should be keeping all of our world class players

Osu wrote: »

Obviously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Did anybody hear anything about our noisy neighbours been given permission to talk to David Silva??

Seriously, if he's available we should be trying everything we can to get him at the club!

Although if they are in for him we wouldn't be able to out-bid them!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

FYP - we don't have it at the moment to be able to retain it! :(

But I do agree that injuries permitting (i.e. a bitta luck) and a really top class midfielder and we would definitely be there or thereabouts imo. But these two factors are massive in themselves.

And another top top striker.Noone came close to rooneys scoring for us last year.Ronaldo and rooney would always have gotten a lot of goals between them in previous seasons.
    The club is a sinking ship.No money,1 world class player,ageing team,injury ravaged defence, and how lon more will fergie go on for?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

And another top top striker.Noone came close to rooneys scoring for us last year.Ronaldo and rooney would always have gotten a lot of goals between them in previous seasons.
    The club is a sinking ship.No money,1 world class player,ageing team,injury ravaged defence, and how lon more will fergie go on for?

:rolleyes: Must try harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Headshot wrote: »
    wheres conno and his ****e about suarez

Shush will ya. why would ya be looking for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"Anthony16"

Hmmmmm, who does that remind me of?

• Advertisement

conno16 wrote: »
    another class strike from forlan
    we should consider going back in for him
    i'm glad fergie held off on suarez though, hes way out of his depth
    suarez has done nothing yet to suggest he could be a force in the prem for united and at CL level
    we dont need another passenger that taps in at the back post when we're two nil up

the owen example is just used to prove a point
    owen is a danger in the prem and CL, albeit his flame is dying

until suarez steps up another few levels we better not invest
    yes
    suarez does not possess the type of class we need
    he'd be pretty ineffective at united

owen > suarez for example

just my opinion
    and i'm well clued in to world football, thank you very much

lol

****ing delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

If the funds are there like Gill keeps saying, bid for Ozil and Suarez please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

baz2009 wrote: »
    "Anthony16"

Hmmmmm, who does that remind me of?

Junior Cert is over. long Summer ahead for the 16 year olds methinks. Even longer Summer for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

flahavaj wrote: »
    Junior Cert is over. long Summer ahead for the 16 year olds methinks. Even longer Summer for the rest of us.

Hey! I resent that.:P
    Not talking about me anyway 'cause I wasn't doing the Junior.:P

baz2009 wrote: »
    Hey! I resent that.:P
    Not talking about me anyway 'cause I wasn't doing the Junior.:P

Entrance exams?:pac:

Just watching that yoke on RTE 2 about the 2006 World Cup.

Hargreaves was f*cking brilliant.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Did anybody hear anything about our noisy neighbours been given permission to talk to David Silva??

Seriously, if he's available we should be trying everything we can to get him at the club!

Although if they are in for him we wouldn't be able to out-bid them!! :(

Did silva himself not say a few months ago that he wants to join united?
    If that was the case i don't see him joining man city but i could see him joining a big team over the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i'd really like to see landon donovan at united
    and that right-side midfielder that chile have on their books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

i'd really like to see landon donovan at united
    and that right-side midfielder that chile have on their books

Jamie Carragher as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

what the f*ck is goin on here?! breakout in the asylum?!

well United could do with some more right wingers. We don't have enough right wingers. We only have Valencia, Nani and Park. We are sorted for left sided players though. Looking at our left footed wingers we have Giggs and......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

for what purpose?
    standing in goals for target practice?

carra is rubbish
    lost his pace years ago
    we have enough old fogeys in the backline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

carra is rubbish
    lost his pace years ago
    we have enough old fogeys in the backline

Whoosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'm hoping all this shyte is only being posted cuz Ye know the thread will be locked and a new one started in a couple of weeks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Smegball wrote: »
    If the funds are there like Gill keeps saying, bid for Ozil and Suarez please :)

I wouldn't say no to either of these, especially Ozil, he's young great playmaker, left footed also!! Really impressed with him in the world cup so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ozil ticks all the boxes for what United need.
    The position we are most lacking in and obviously need. He's also the right age for the current policy for signing younger players.

I've seen enough in 3 games to want him badly at the club.

It's more in hope than anything else though. I'm doubting we will add any significant name this summer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

#15 wrote: »
    Jamie Carragher as well.

Emile Heskey too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Right, I'm gone lads.

Talk to ye in August.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Right, I'm gone lads.

Talk to ye in August.

lol that bad ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Emile Heskey too sure.

Dam right I'd even sell Rooney to finance the move:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Gary dohertys available on a free I think :)

Gary dohertys available on a free I think :)

I wish, a player of his calibre would never make the step down to join United, better chance of getting Messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

lads...whos that lad conno16 who always seems to never be posting when I'm here..

out of his depth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

TheTosh wrote: »
    I wish, a player of his calibre would never make the step down to join United, better chance of getting Messi

Found ths great quote on wiki about him changing squad numbers
    "It's all about superstition. Since I came to Norwich, my goal tally's been rubbish really. I used to wear 12 at Luton and Tottenham, and I used to be quite free-scoring during those times."

mink_man wrote: »
    lads...whos that lad conno16 who always seems to never be posting when I'm here..

your alter ego ;)?

I'm looking forward to mink man v conno more then England v Germany

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

TheTosh wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to mink man v conno more then England v Germany

This is the only thing making SF interesting these days. That and MM's comeback thread.

cypher sounds must be a bit of a pup aswell, tryin to get my thread locked...

Found ths great quote on wiki about him changing squad numbers
    "It's all about superstition. Since I came to Norwich, my goal tally's been rubbish really. I used to wear 12 at Luton and Tottenham, and I used to be quite free-scoring during those times."

.....lol

Headshot wrote: »
    your alter ego?

a bit like Gar outta Philadelphia Here I Come, where one is better than the other and I think its clear whos better between myself and conman69 or whatever his name is?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement