Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mink Public and Mink Private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

annnnnywho...as "I'm well clued into the world of football" hahahahhahaha I don't agree looking at the world cup and saying "oh we should buy ozil or suarez" how many of ye have seen them play 20+ games? I havent anyways, not saying that I watch 1000's of games though...and I think ozil is one player we don't need, unfortunately, rooney imo is the exact same player, ozil really should be played behind the striker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Emile Heskey too sure.

Robbie Fowler is surely worth a shot too.

And Michael Ow.... Oh wait:eek:

Anthony16 wrote: »
    And another top top striker.Noone came close to rooneys scoring for us last year.Ronaldo and rooney would always have gotten a lot of goals between them in previous seasons.
    The club is a sinking ship.No money,1 world class player,ageing team,injury ravaged defence, and how lon more will fergie go on for?

You're right, it's all gone tits up.
    As to Fergie, I'd say he'll last another week at the most.

#15 wrote: »
    Robbie Fowler is surely worth a shot too.

And Michael Ow.... Oh wait:eek:

ya I'm sure you'd give him a shot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pleased to see Suarez do well today. Always felt he was a special player. I don't think the club has a hope of affording him though. I suspect he will wind up in Spain in the near future.

mink_man wrote: »
    ya I'm sure you'd give him a shot ;)

That was almost witty.;)

players I can remember that I've been impressed by so far in this world cup....

Gregory Van der Wiel - Holland right back,
    Gaka is it??? - SA right back...
    Jozy Altidore - USA striker
    Perez - Uruguay midfielder
    ozil - germany midfielder/striker
    honda - japan striker/car
    sanchez - Chile Winger
    aguero (not seen alot of him) - Argentina striker
    that left back for portugal too

The S Korean right back looks decent.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    The S Korean right back looks decent.

and apparently the south korea striker, no 10..plays for monaco is the next big thing...didn't see much of it though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

CHILE superstar Alexis Sanchez has his heart set on a move to Manchester United.

The Udinese winger has been forwarded as a potential replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo ever since the Portuguese icon was sold to Real Madrid.

And his performances at the World Cup have only enhanced his growing reputation, despite being surprisingly substituted against Spain.

Sanchez's sparkling form has reaffirmed Sir Alex Ferguson's interest in his services and sources close to the player claim he's dreamed of joining the Red Devils since his boyhood years.

"All Alexis wants is to play for Manchester United," revealed a Chile team-mate, who did not want to be named.

"He'd give anything for that."

Udinese insist they don't want to sell the 21-year-old, who is nicknamed 'El Nino Maravilla' (the Wonder Boy), but it's understood the wide man would jump at the chance to head for Old Trafford.

Antonio Valencia has replaced Ronaldo on the right flank for the dethroned champions but Sanchez's apparent desire to come to Manchester is certain to give Ferguson some food for thought.

from notw so take it with a large pinch of salt

I really like Sanchez, he would be a perfect replacement for Ronaldo(maybe i should of said wouldve) but im very happy with val, he doesnt go past players and he gets a nose bleeds inside the box but i think he's hard work, provides assists and crosses has been a breath of fresh air for utd
    so i think bringing in Sanchez would damage val i think but Sanchez is a class act so its hard one to decide I think

and apparently the south korea striker, no 10..plays for monaco is the next big thing...didn't see much of it though??

He showed flashes of it but I didn't think he was that great though. It's be nice for Parky to have someone to talk about the motherland with though and share his dog sandwiches at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can see Sanchez playing Champions League football soon if he stays injury free. He has great pace. Doubt Fergie is interested though.

Any goalkeepers catch the eye with a view to a possible United move? Unfortunately Edwin isn't getting any younger so the position will need filling soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I can see Sanchez playing Champions League football soon if he stays injury free. He has great pace. Doubt Fergie is interested though.

Any goalkeepers catch the eye with a view to a possible United move? Unfortunately Edwin isn't getting any younger so the position will need filling soon.

I don't think there's much doubt Fergie is interested in him, the story has been doing the rounds since before Ronaldo left. I would like us to sign him as an out and out striker but for the amount United would have to pay for him they could probably tempt Suarez from Ajax...

manuel neuer for germany has been linked, big man, hasnt been tested yet though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

First off, welcome back Mink. I've missed ya baby!
    I don't agree looking at the world cup and saying "oh we should buy ozil or suarez" how many of ye have seen them play 20+ games?

Who needs to see him playing 20 games though? I don't agree with this general perception that you need to see loads of a player before you can judge them. Imho - watch a few of the players games, read up on him to try and see if he has any personality issues and then make your judgement.

I think it's fairly obvious that Ozil is a special talent. I'd love United to sign him, I think he would be perfect for us. Unfortunately I suspect he may not fancy leaving Germany.

Sanches looks like a very useful player but we don't need another right footed winger. We're not going to be buying him. No chance. If we buy him, I'll eat my own socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Pro. F wrote: »
    If we buy him, I'll eat my own socks.

Guessing you don't possess a hat :pac:

While I agree you don't always need to see 20 games from a player to judge them I do think that judging them based on their world cup performance may also be a bad idea, most players are more motivated for the world cup and give 110% in each game, something which certainly wont happen in every club game, its always good to see a bit of consistency in a player before purchasing them.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Guessing you don't possess a hat :pac:

While I agree you don't always need to see 20 games from a player to judge them I do think that judging them based on their world cup performance may also be a bad idea, most players are more motivated for the world cup and give 110% in each game, something which certainly wont happen in every club game, its always good to see a bit of consistency in a player before purchasing them.

Good point. Some players really do step it up for the wc. And I definitely wouldn't be getting excited about a prospect if they were impressing mostly because of their work rate. Players showing good technical skills though I would say is a different matter. For example, Ozil's passing, close control, shooting and decision making have been superb and those skills can't be faked (for want of a better word) with extra world cup effort. All the talk of his league form is that he's been impressive there too. So that shows that he applies himself in general.
    But sure it's easy to be wrong. It's just more fun forming an opinion and then telling everyone :D

Anan, the dcm for Ghana, has caught my eye as well. Brady was starting to sing his praises tonight. I don't think Fergie is ever going to buy a player from an ACN nation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Anan, the dcm for Ghana, has caught my eye as well. Brady was starting to sing his praises tonight. I don't think Fergie is ever going to buy a player from an ACN nation though.

Diouf,Djemba djemba,fortune???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Luis Fabiano anyone?
    Brazil striker Luis Fabiano has issued a come-and-get-me plea to Manchester United after ruling out a move to Tottenham.

The Sevilla star does not want to sign a new contract with the Spanish club and he is a target of AC Milan.

Fabiano, who scored twice against Ivory Coast in the group stages of the World Cup, is attracted by Milan, but he is also keen on a move to United, where he would be able to play alongside Wayne Rooney.

Sevilla have said they will not sell the 29-year-old, however, he is desperate to secure a move that will give him a chance to win the UEFA Champions League.

Fabiano told the Daily Star Sunday: "I have a real chance of winning a World Cup here in South Africa, and that is what I must stay focused on even though I know my future has to be sorted soon.

"I have made it clear that I will not be signing a new contract with Sevilla and at 29 I now need to join a club where I can start challenging for the highest honours from the first season.

"I have heard Tottenham Hotspur made an inquiry about me but, with all respect, that is not somewhere I am going to be able to win the Premier League or the European Cup in the next three or four years.
    Giant

"There would be no point in me joining Tottenham. I might as well stay at Sevilla, as it's the same thing. Sevilla are actually bigger when you look at how much we have been in the European Cup, so there would be no point me moving to a smaller team.

"The choice will come down to Manchester United and AC Milan. That is the sort of team I want to be signing for, one of the true giants of Europe.

"I think the way Manchester United play football is very attractive, I must be honest and say Premier League football attracts me and also the way Manchester United play football attracts me.

"You think about being Wayne Rooney's strike partner and that is very attractive for any striker.

"I think the style of Premier League football suits me and I think I could score goals and be very successful there.

"Their coach is a winner, their players are winners and they are one of the few teams in Europe challenging for the top honours season after season.

"As soon as the World Cup is over I will make a quick decision on my future - and while it is going on I hope Sevilla can open discussions. I have enjoyed my time here but I now need to be at a giant."

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Luis Fabiano anyone?

Link

Yep i take him, in a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

I like him but would he be value for money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

stop quoting these lads will yee!

enviro wrote: »

We shouldnt be buying every player thinking about the sell on value to Real Madrid!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

enviro wrote: »

Is he not on a free no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Luis Fabiano anyone?

Link
    Not a chance. A 29 year-old striker? If we are signing anyone this window, they'll be neither of those things

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Not a chance. A 29 year-old striker? If we are signing anyone this window, they'll be neither of those things

unlike last season when we didn't sign any 29 year old strikers? Sorry Fergie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12098_6232472,0.html

Would love him at United to replace VDS.

Again I doubt it.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Diouf,Djemba djemba,fortune???

Christ on a bike, what a brain fart that was from me. Manucho too. In my defence it was late when I was posting :(

Ok then, I'll try that again without being stupid this time... That fella Anan looks handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

If the price was right for Fabiano I'd take him, he's a natural goal scorer and with him up front Rooney could have a free role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

TonyD79 wrote: »
    We shouldnt be buying every player thinking about the sell on value to Real Madrid!!!!!

???
    I am against selling players who are quality.

29 is quite old if he is gonna be expensive. Id rather buy someone younger and get a long time out of them. Utd cant afford to be buying for the same positions every 3 or 4 seasons. Better to get the quality in sub 25 and get 8+ seasons out of them.
    If he can be got cheap or even better on a free, great

Liam O wrote: »
    unlike last season when we didn't sign any 29 year old strikers? Sorry Fergie...
    Who we got on a free, and (by all accounts) a pay-as-you-play contract, and was more than willing to sit on the bench. And because we signed one last year, you think it's more likely we'll sign one this year? Fabiano would need an 8-figure bid, a big contract, and a guarantee of playing week-in week-out. A striker is the absolute last area of the pitch we need to strengthen.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

First off, welcome back Mink. I've missed ya baby!

Who needs to see him playing 20 games though? I don't agree with this general perception that you need to see loads of a player before you can judge them. Imho - watch a few of the players games, read up on him to try and see if he has any personality issues and then make your judgement.

I think it's fairly obvious that Ozil is a special talent. I'd love United to sign him, I think he would be perfect for us. Unfortunately I suspect he may not fancy leaving Germany.

Sanches looks like a very useful player but we don't need another right footed winger. We're not going to be buying him. No chance. If we buy him, I'll eat my own socks.

To back up my point, Jay DeMerit or Jozy Altidore for the United States, They've played very well at the world cup but you wouldn't think about buyin them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

To back up my point, Jay DeMerit or Jozy Altidore for the United States, They've played very well at the world cup but you wouldn't think about buyin them?

Jay DeMerit had a mare last night IMO

Who we got on a free, and (by all accounts) a pay-as-you-play contract, and was more than willing to sit on the bench. And because we signed one last year, you think it's more likely we'll sign one this year? Fabiano would need an 8-figure bid, a big contract, and a guarantee of playing week-in week-out. A striker is the absolute last area of the pitch we need to strengthen.

Doubt it would need an 8 figure bid tbh, he wants to leave and has 1 year left on his contract if I remember correctly. The team is in desperate need of a consistent strike partner for Rooney too.

Jay DeMerit had a mare last night IMO

tbh i didnt see much of the game last night, but he's at a world cup and USA did quite well and I'm sure if DeMerit was shockin in every game they wouldnt have did as well....saw him gettin a great defensive header last night btw..just shows how much playing for your country in a world cup where the team spirit could play a huge part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

I would not really agree with that. While it may not be the first area to strengthen, we are not as strong in the strikers department as it looks. If Rooney gets injured we are in trouble. Berba, whom i still hold hopes for, hasn't been doing it, Owen is injury prone and Diouf, Macheda and Welbeck are not up to the level required yet IMO. Hernandez, well i don't really know what to expect, but i doubt he's a player whom we should be relying on too much yet.

Degag wrote: »
    I would not really agree with that. While it may not be the first area to strengthen, we are not as strong in the strikers department as it looks. If Rooney gets injured we are in trouble. Berba, whom i still hold hopes for, hasn't been doing it, Owen is injury prone and Diouf, Macheda and Welbeck are not up to the level required yet IMO. Hernandez, well i don't really know what to expect, but i doubt he's a player whom we should be relying on too much yet.
    GK - Need a replacement for VDS, Kuszack isn't it. Defense - Depends on Vidic staying and Rio's fitness, hopefully we won't need anyone there. Midfield - we badly need a creative central midfielder, and Nani has never really done it on the left wing.

We don't have the money to replace Rooney if he gets injured (that would need a Torres, a Drogba, a Villa, Fabiano isn't it), but we have adequate backup (assuming Berba plays to potential) to still have a high enough standard up-front. Midfield and GK are far more important than up-front

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

• Advertisement

at least Rooney will get some proper rest now

thats all the utd players out of the wc

still don't want ozil at utd...same player as rooney....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

^Is Ozil a forward:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Headshot wrote: »
    thats all the utd players out of the wc

FAIL

We still have hernandez

Yeh sure were grand with just Dimitar up front on his own when Rooney is out injured!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No he's not.

FAIL

We still have hernandez

until tonight (probably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he is nothing like Rooney. What players have you been watching?

flahavaj wrote: »
    No he's not.

IMO...rooney drops deep into space and tries to pick out players...ozil looks for the same space as rooney, and ozil tries to pick out players too...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

he is nothing like Rooney. What players have you been watching?

Not Ozil anyway!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement