Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

1490491492493494496»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

TonyD79 wrote: »
    For starters Terry hasnt been world class for the past year, Cech hasnt been the same player since his head injury and I would rather VDS before him, Essien never plays. If all the above Chelsea players has played well last season and been "world class" they would have won every game 7 nil!! As for Arsenal Ramsey is gonna be a great player - would have been the perfect replacement for Scholes.

Cech might not be the same but he's still one of the best keepers in the world, Essien is one of the best midfielders in the world and was injured for a long part of last season. You've a very naive assessment of Chelsea and some of their players and they won a lot of games by high scores last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

flahavaj wrote: »
    Nonetheless whan he plays on the left he does wander in. It doesn't really matter whether its for England, Liverpool or if he does it next season for Real Madrid.

Whats real the problem here, do you think he doesn't do so when deployed onthe left or do you just not like hearing Steven Gerrrard being criticised?

Its apples and pears really. Silva is much more leftsided as a player, Gerrard resents it as he is rightsided so he won't stay there. You can critisise him for it but its still the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I reckon that United have the best wingers in the league, 1 of the top 3 strikers and the best defense. Midfield we have a top 5 in the league midfielder in Fletch and on their day, if they can be given the confidence then Carrick, Ando and Gibson can deputise when Scholes is tired. Use Scholes for the big games and I genuinely think that (although obviously a signing would be welcome) that the team is good enough to win the league.

If Rafael doesn't get sent off against Bayern then I reckon United make it to the final and may be CL winners and if Drogba had been correctly called offside then United could easily be double champions. It was an unlucky season imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liam O wrote: »
    I reckon that United have the best wingers in the league, 1 of the top 3 strikers and the best defense. Midfield we have a top 5 in the league midfielder in Fletch and on their day, if they can be given the confidence then Carrick, Ando and Gibson can deputise when Scholes is tired. Use Scholes for the big games and I genuinely think that (although obviously a signing would be welcome) that the team is good enough to win the league.

If Rafael doesn't get sent off against Bayern then I reckon United make it to the final and may be CL winners and if Drogba had been correctly called offside then United could easily be double champions. It was an unlucky season imo...
    Awful post. United didn't win the league or Champions league cause they were not good enough, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Awful post. United didn't win the league or Champions league cause they were not good enough, simple as that.

Who are you to say they weren't good enough, without those two misfortunate incidents we could well have won the double, despite not winning the league and champions league we had a really good season.

• Advertisement

Against Bayern we were 3 nil up at home and let them back into it we can't have any excuses and Chelsea were the better team we did well to bring down to the wire but they deserved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

curry-muff wrote: »
    Who are you to say they weren't good enough, without those two misfortunate incidents we could well have won the double, despite not winning the league and champions league we had a really good season.

The table say's they weren't good enough. Decisions will go for you and against you all season no point in saying what if, fact is they weren't good enough last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ifs and buts tbh. This kinda talk do us no good, its mildly embarassing tbh.

I don't think United were good enough to win the CL last year. Both Barca and Inter were better teamsthan them by quite some distance. Yes United were in control against Bayern but the way they surrendered that match had as much to do with their weakness in the midle of the park as the sending off.

I also think last season was a strange one in the PL, where standards seemed to slip for a lot of teams. Chelsea ended up being the best of a bad lot but they were the best team, offsides or not offside.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its apples and pears really. Silva is much more leftsided as a player, Gerrard resents it as he is rightsided so he won't stay there. You can critisise him for it but its still the case.

Well yes. So whats the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ifs and buts tbh. This kinda talk do us no good, its mildly embarassing tbh.

I don't think United were good enough to win the CL last year. Both Barca and Inter were better teamsthan them by quite some distance. Yes United were in control against Bayern but the way they surrendered that match had as much to do with their weakness in the midle of the park as the sending off.

I also think last season was a strange one in the PL, where standards seemed to slip for a lot of teams. Chelsea ended up being the best of a bad lot but they were the best team, offsides or not offside.

You cant really disagree with any of that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I don't think United were good enough to win the CL last year. Both Barca and Inter were better teamsthan them by quite some distance.

*PUTS ON UNITED TINTED SPECTACLES*

Wha cho talking 'bout Flah?

Just look at the Blackburn game, a team we should of beaten but didn't, if we had of done that United were champions regardless of the Chelsea game. We got luck as well throughout the season, just look at o.g he scored loads for us. United only have themselves to blame for not taking chances when they came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

OGs aren't luck most of the time, imo. They're great balls in that strikers would sore from anwyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

We didn't deserve to win the league this year. Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

We all knew it would be year of transistion and honestly, I think we overperformed this year. If Rooney didn't score the goals and Nani/Valencia didn't come into their own I shudder to think what would have happened. Other positives would be we've the best defence in the league and huge depth in the backline. Then the sublime youth talent we've coming through.

Negatives would be a goalscoring, fit player to partner Rooney. The lack of a creative midfielder. Lack of spending in replacing VDS, Scholes and Giggs. The Glazers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mike65 wrote: »

If he is played anywhere but in the centre, he moves inside. Regardless if it is on the right for Liverpool or the left side for England. I was not really getting into criticism anyway, I used him as an example of a player that is not suited to being played out wide. I don't think there is anything wrong with that or anything to merit comments asking if I watch football.

Just reading about Sotiris Ninis tonight, I remembered seeing the U-19 Greek team finish second in the European Championships. Regardless of any financial situation, I think it is always a good idea for United to try and sign the best young talent before their value rises too much. Whether Ninis is a Tosic or a Ronaldo is a different matter though.

If he is played anywhere but in the centre, he moves inside. Regardless if it is on the right for Liverpool or the left side for England. I was not really getting into criticism anyway, I used him as an example of a player that is not suited to being played out wide. I don't think there is anything wrong with that or anything to merit comments asking if I watch football.

Just reading about Sotiris Ninis tonight, I remembered seeing the U-19 Greek team finish second in the European Championships. Regardless of any financial situation, I think it is always a good idea for United to try and sign the best young talent before their value rises too much. Whether Ninis is a Tosic or a Ronaldo is a different matter though.

Tosic isn't a bad footballer. In fact I rate him highly. I wondered why we didn't try and mould him into a Fabregas type attacking midfielder role. Only thing I suppose is his stature because tecnicially he's excellent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just getting in before this thread is wrapped up. Hoping for a marginally better season. Just a one place higher improvement in the league and i'd be delighthed.

My big wish for the new season is to see United's younger players flourish into the players we hope they can be. The likes of Raf, Nani, Anderson, Evans, Macheda and to a lesser extent Smalling and Chico.

I'm quite happy to win nowt again next season if these guys imrove into guys the club can rely on teh big occasiosn, guys you could send to the Nou Camp of the San Siro for a CL semi finaland not worry about how they'd handle the heat.

Bigger picture lads, thats what I'm all about, I'm not gonna cry into my cornflakes over a few seasons without a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i want saf to actually play the youngsters in the cc

• Advertisement

Tosic isn't a bad footballer. In fact I rate him highly. I wondered why we didn't try and mould him into a Fabregas type attacking midfielder role. Only thing I suppose is his stature because tecnicially he's excellent.

Oh he is not a bad footballer, it just was not the right time for Tosic. Similar problem to Pique before he left. Ronaldo arrived at the ideal time just after Beckham had left so there was opportunities there for him. That is why I am hoping any young player that may bought this summer does not do a Tosic and basically not get a chance to make an impact.

My big wish for the new season is to see United's younger players flourish into the players we hope they can be. The likes of Raf, Nani, Anderson, Evans, Macheda and to a lesser extent Smalling and Chico.

I'm quite happy to win nowt again next season if these guys imrove into guys the club can rely on teh big occasiosn, guys you could send to the Nou Camp of the San Siro for a CL semi finaland not worry about how they'd handle the heat.

Bigger picture lads, thats what I'm all about, I'm not gonna cry into my cornflakes over a few seasons without a trophy.

This is a sensible view to take and is one that Sir Alex has normally taken. Whilst I don't think they will necessarily need to have a few barren years, there are youngsters there ready to step up, Instead of worrying about expensive signings that may or may not work for City, United should concentrate on the players already there. Why pay big money for a player that may not be any better than what is already there? History has shown that bringing through players has given United, Barcelona and many others success.

I really hope Anderson comes back next season and shows his top form regularly. I'd be disappointed if he leaves, there is just so much potential there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People tend to forget that we were going for 4 in a row too. It's never been done and we only came within a whisker of winning it (even though we did not deserve too).

I think this is massive year for United and its youngsters. Anderson is a guy who really has to make the grade next season. I think he will. To me seems to play better against the better sides. He was outstanding against Chelsea in November and again in Poto season before. Ok he is bit hit and miss but this is his season to improve on that.

Jury is still out on Hernadez but from what I have seen he looks decent and hopefully will fit right in.

My only worry is really in the middle of the park. We need to replace Carrick. I'm sorry but he aint up to it and has been let down now for past two seasons. Its arguably the most important part in pitch and we need a player (world class) who can spray the ball around the park in comfort and on consistent basis.

Im just hoping Fergie gets out the cheque book and signs least one big name for new season ahead. Because otherwise we put too much pressure on the younger lads and end up like this season again where we fall short.

I wont mind though once we see improvement on this season and seem to be going in stronger for 11/12 season. If that means not winning a single trophy well so be.

Oh he is not a bad footballer, it just was not the right time for Tosic. Similar problem to Pique before he left. Ronaldo arrived at the ideal time just after Beckham had left so there was opportunities there for him. That is why I am hoping any young player that may bought this summer does not do a Tosic and basically not get a chance to make an impact.

See you point now.

Let's hope we waiting to use Cleverley in that manner when Giggsy retires. Would hate to see his talent wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

We didn't deserve to win the league this year. Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

We all knew it would be year of transistion and honestly, I think we overperformed this year.

I agree with this. The team is obviously lacking in the quality needed for winning the league or cl. The league was quite weak the season just gone, Chelsea won it with a relatively low points total, but they were clearly better than us. We also got a cushty draw in the CL and yet couldn't get to the final. Talking about luck in relation to last season is ignoring the obvious.

Thank Jaysus we're getting a new thread soon, this one has gone to the dogs completely.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Is it not another month away Baz? I thought, typically, a new thread was started August 1st?

Osu wrote: »
    Is it not another month away Baz? I thought, typically, a new thread was started August 1st?

Sucks if it is.
    Liverpool got their's tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

We need Iago to be as forward thinking as dub13 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

They got a new thread because an announcement is expected to be made today or tomorrow on a new manager. Makes sense, they can put the Benitez era behind them and the new thread coincides with a new regime. Unless Fergie croaks it when City announce that they've managed to sign Jack Rodwell on the quiet at the David Silva press conference, we're in no rush for a new thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i reckon united have a deal in place to take rodwell next summer
    he has prob basically been signed already

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

We all knew it would be year of transistion and honestly, I think we overperformed this year. If Rooney didn't score the goals and Nani/Valencia didn't come into their own I shudder to think what would have happened. Other positives would be we've the best defence in the league and huge depth in the backline. Then the sublime youth talent we've coming through.

Negatives would be a goalscoring, fit player to partner Rooney. The lack of a creative midfielder. Lack of spending in replacing VDS, Scholes and Giggs. The Glazers.

well said peter a great summary of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

conno16 wrote: »

I think he probably have every intention to stay with Everton for the foreseeable future. IMO they probably have the best midfield in the league and will not be far off CL place this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Any word on a any new jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any word on a any new jerseys?

You can pre-order the home jersey today and they go on sale on the 15th.

This is the rumoured jersey:
    man-united-new-home-shirt.jpg

There is a kit thread around here with a better picture than that though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

mars bar wrote: »
    You can pre-order the home jersey today and they go on sale on the 15th.

This is the rumoured jersey:
    man-united-new-home-shirt.jpg

There is a kit thread around here with a better picture than that though...

Cheers not a big fan of that jersey , but then again I said that for last 3 home jerseys and still bought them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

conno16 wrote: »

and where d'you get this exclusive scoop?? Do you have anything to back up anything you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement