Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Im going to list everyone who i think will score this season and how much i think they will get, then come back at the end of the season and see how accurate i was:

Rooney: 24
    Berbatov: 19
    Owen: 16
    Nani: 10
    Macheda: 6
    Vidic: 6
    Valencia: 5
    Anderson: 5
    Carrick: 5
    Park: 3
    Fletcher: 3
    Giggs: 3
    Welbeck: 2
    Ferdinand: 2
    O'Shea: 2
    Hargreaves: 2
    Evra: 1
    Brown: 1
    Rafael: 1
    Gibson: 1

That is a total of 117 goals in all competitions. This is based entirely on my own opinions and expectations, some of which may be too much or too little to some people. Lets see what happens.

None of those oredictions are actually that outlandish to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nani to get 10 might be a bit ott, but depends on how regularly he features tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Nani to get 10 might be a bit ott, but depends on how regularly he features tbh.

owen to out score tevez anyway

that's for sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Im going to list everyone who i think will score this season and how much i think they will get, then come back at the end of the season and see how accurate i was:

Rooney: 24
    Berbatov: 19
    Owen: 16
    Nani: 10
    Macheda: 6
    Vidic: 6
    Valencia: 5
    Anderson: 5
    Carrick: 5
    Park: 3
    Fletcher: 3
    Giggs: 3
    Welbeck: 2
    Ferdinand: 2
    O'Shea: 2
    Hargreaves: 2
    Evra: 1
    Brown: 1
    Rafael: 1
    Gibson: 1

That is a total of 117 goals in all competitions. This is based entirely on my own opinions and expectations, some of which may be too much or too little to some people. Lets see what happens.

No Goals for Scholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

FatherTed wrote: »
    No Goals for Scholes?

I had him in my head for 2, just slipped my mind. Will edit him in now. Thanks for that.

Gonna have to edit in if we make a new signing *hopes*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I had him in my head for 2, just slipped my mind. Will edit him in now. Thanks for that.

Gonna have to edit in if we make a new signing *hopes*.

Don't forget a couple of Own Goals, and well as a few from a unknown player ala Macheda last year, maybe Pettrucci in the League Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

hey guys I'm back after my week vacation (of bannage), what did i miss? New thread? Ooh me likey. Its a shame about the Audi Cup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

FatherTed wrote: »
    No Goals for Scholes?

if that happened his chant wouldnt make sence anymore! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm going to make one prediction: Valencia 15 goals in all competitions.
    I know it's a bit ambitious but I feel he will surprise everybody and really shine with United this season.
    I'm very excited about him at United. I think he's a real talent and I'm really glad that he's coming into our team.
    I'd be thinking similarly, he will emerge our top scoring midfielder come the end of the season imo. When you contrast the amount of goals Lampard & Gerrard contribute from midfield it doesn't stack up well, however.

• Advertisement

im a tad disappointed utd didnt make a move for Fabian Delph

we are missing CM/DM at the moment

and plus he'd fit into this no bother

feederclub_design.jpg

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think in terms of next season two things will happen.

We will concede even less goals next season. We'll be much more defensively sound due to the lack of non-tracking back wingers.

Our goals will shift massively towards the strikers.
    The league challenge will probably come down to whether or not we can get enough goals from midfield. I'm interested to see what happens, but won't be surprised either way to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

if that happened his chant wouldnt make sence anymore! :p
    Could just as easily be changed to :
    No more goals for Scholes, no more goals :P

Hopefully thats not the case and he scores a couple of crackers a la the Villa game a couple of seasons back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Headshot wrote: »
    im a tad disappointed utd didnt make a move for Fabian Delph

we are missing CM/DM at the moment

and plus he'd fit into this no bother

feederclub_design.jpg

;)
    lol i love that thing - it's a big, unavoidable, inevitable, put-down decades in the making.

I'm a bit disappointed about not going for Delph too, even though it's totally unfounded on my part as i haven't even seen him play.. just worrying we're missing out on the type of player we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

delph wont come good!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mink_man wrote: »
    delph wont come good!

Well he's already alot better than good, so i'm not sure where you're going with this.

Are you hoping he won't do well in his career? Or is it just a mindless post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I have that feeder club shirt, quality stuff.

We'll buy Delph and Young from Villa in time, you'll see!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I have that feeder club shirt, quality stuff.

We'll buy Delph and Young from Villa in time, you'll see!!

Expensiveness of that!

nicklauski wrote: »
    Could just as easily be changed to :
    No more goals for Scholes, no more goals :P

Hopefully thats not the case and he scores a couple of crackers a la the Villa game a couple of seasons back.

god im still amazed at the quality of that gial no matter how many times i watch it! hope he bangs in a couple of them this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus forgot about that goal :D

There's no stoppin that!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dave! wrote: »
    Jayzus forgot about that goal :D

There's no stoppin that!!!!

I love how he leans back a little and waits for the ball. It really is such a sweet strike.

Did it win goal of the season that year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, who else is hoping there is a resounding chorus of "FERGIE, FERGIE: SIGN HIM UP" for either Villa or Silva tomorrow night.

So, who else is hoping there is a resounding chorus of "FERGIE, FERGIE: SIGN HIM UP" for either Villa or Silva tomorrow night.

:D

going to be very interesting

I see villa as the best striker in the world but the weird thing is I dont want him in the team because of our young strikers atm

silva idk what to think but we are missing a top notch LW but signing silva would interfere with the progress of Tosic and Nani

:D

going to be very interesting

I see villa as the best striker in the world but the weird thing is I dont want him in the team because of our young strikers atm

silva idk what to think but we are missing a top notch LW but signing silva would interfere with the progress of Tosic and Nani

Silva is more comfortable as an AMC imo. He broke into the Valencia side as a winger, cause they needed him there, but since Mata has come on the scene, Silva has moved inside, playing off Vila. He has the intelligence and quick feet, and ability, to be that spark in midfield that I am worried we are lacking.

I agree about Villa. Great player, but i'm not really worried about up front, it is goals from midfield that would worry me. Though I don't know that Silva would provide them - his scoring record is quite poor. He ability on the ball is great though - has the ability to beat a man and play creatively, so would help with getting our forwards into the game (have a look at how bad we were at that against Bayern)

EDIT: When you heading to the game - you can be the one to start the chant up if someone else doesn't!

I'm gonna miss most of it. Lessons to go to tomorrow night, should be back to see most of the second half though. Will record it, obviously.

Silva is more comfortable as an AMC imo. He broke into the Valencia side as a winger, cause they needed him there, but since Mata has come on the scene, Silva has moved inside, playing off Vila. He has the intelligence and quick feet, and ability, to be that spark in midfield that I am worried we are lacking.

I agree about Villa. Great player, but i'm not really worried about up front, it is goals from midfield that would worry me. Though I don't know that Silva would provide them - his scoring record is quite poor. He ability on the ball is great though - has the ability to beat a man and play creatively, so would help with getting our forwards into the game (have a look at how bad we were at that against Bayern)

EDIT: When you heading to the game - you can be the one to start the chant up if someone else doesn't!

I'm gonna miss most of it. Lessons to go to tomorrow night, should be back to see most of the second half though. Will record it, obviously.

na im not heading to the game now unfortunately :(
    I dont mind missing it tbh,got tickets cheap etc

could you see a Cm of carrick and silva working ?

na im not heading to the game now unfortunately :(
    I dont mind missing it tbh,got tickets cheap etc

could you see a Cm of carrick and silva working ?

Maybe, maybe not.

Could see Silva playing in the 'Giggs' position though, attacking player in a 451/433, who can also roam to either wing (though mainly left)

Valencia..Fletcher..Carrick
    .......Silva.....Rooney
    ...........Berbatov

Or with Silva behind Rooney and Berbatov/Owen. something like that

Valencia has played CM internationally, and while he is untested there in the PL, he could play a role similar to Park, but with more attacking quality. Plugging the centre when we don't have the ball and giving an option when we do. He certainly has the engine for it.

Silva in a 442 as a CM, i would be very unsure about, unless the other player is Hargreaves or Fletcher (to a lesser extent) Again, he could be played on the wing in a 442, and that would cause problems for Tosic and Nani, but who knows really.

Maybe, maybe not.

Could see Silva playing in the 'Giggs' position though, attacking player in a 451/433, who can also roam to either wing (though mainly left)

Valencia..Fletcher..Carrick
    .......Silva.....Rooney
    ...........Berbatov

Or with Silva behind Rooney and Berbatov/Owen. something like that

Valencia has played CM internationally, and while he is untested there in the PL, he could play a role similar to Park, but with more attacking quality. Plugging the centre when we don't have the ball and giving an option when we do. He certainly has the engine for it.

Silva in a 442 as a CM, i would be very unsure about, unless the other player is Hargreaves or Fletcher (to a lesser extent) Again, he could be played on the wing in a 442, and that would cause problems for Tosic and Nani, but who knows really.
    dont see that formation happening myself because it could leave the wings wide open but maybe if hargo was fit i'd go for that formation but carrick not in the dead centre would worry me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

only1stevo wrote: »

site not working for me

copy and paste what he said

We are suddenly receiving a lot of questions from readers linking David Silva with a move to Old Trafford...

SBF7 has just posted the following comment: "Hi Guillem,With the Manchester United Vs Valencia friendly tommorow - Is their any chance of David Silva agreeing a move to Old Trafford on the day/night of the game ala Ronaldo and Sporting? Also can you see him moving to United this summer and what is you`re personal opinion on whether the deal will go through?"

It seems quite a few of you are interested in hearing about David Silva and the link is not without foundation. I can tell you that over the last couple of days there has been contact between Manchester United and the representatives of David Silva. However, it resulted in nothing more than an informal conversation about the player`s situation at Valencia and no bid has yet been made by the Premier League club for the transfer of the Spanish international.

Can I see him moving to United? Well,Silva does appear content to stay at Valencia for the time being – especially if he is convinced that David Villa is staying - but the club appear happy to sell him for around €30 million, so he could listen to offers.
    The situation at Valencia makes trying to predict anything to do with anything at the Mestalla practically impossible. In fact the only predictable thing about Valencia is their sheer unpredictability. The club are saying one thing when their dire financial circumstances dictate that they may have to do another. Publicly, Valencia are making bold statements that they do not need to sell, but behind the scenes they are looking for buyers.

It is a similar situation with players: they will publicly state that they want to stay at the club, while making sure that they are not too far from the exit door.

At the moment, as far as Manchester United are concerned, no formal bid has been made for David Silva this summer. Conversations have taken place with his representatives, but United have not made any promises. It is interesting that you have mentioned the United - Valencia friendly, because nothing has been guaranteed, but following a few enquiries it as also been suggested to me that “we should keep an eye on what happens”...

site not working for me

copy and paste what he said

his site seems fooked at the moment.

Basically, he is saying that United have been in contact with Silva's representatives (he is stating this as fact) over the last couple of days but only to sound him out - no formal bid has been made. He hints that something may, possibly, might happen tomorrow after the game, but he doesn't say anything definitive regarding any bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

tbh you should do everything you can to sign him, I wouldn't be as confident of Chelsea winning the league if Silva was there.

tbh you should do everything you can to sign him, I wouldn't be as confident of Chelsea winning the league if Silva was there.

you shouldnt be confident either way ;)

I'd take anything that Ballague says with a pinch of salt, he is like the human version of Marca!
    Looking forward to the game tomorrow night. Should be a good warm up for Sunday against Chelsea. :D

I don't know I think its the best Chelsea team that I have seen in my life-time this year, really looking forward to the season.

I don't know I think its the best Chelsea team that I have seen in my life-time this year, really looking forward to the season.

Apart from Zhirkov who have the signed? The only thing I see with Chelsea is that the team is a year older. :D
    I dont see them as being any stronger than what they were last year.

Apart from Zhirkov who have the signed? The only thing I see with Chelsea is that the team is a year older. :D

Really?

I see them as far stronger than last year,
    The last couple of years all most Chelsea fans have wanted is to play Drogba and Anelka up front together and this year we are finally going to get our way, that excites me.

Last year Drogba was injured for most of it (he only scored 5 league goals) this year he promises to return to form, has been playing great in pre-season and is linking up well with Anelka

Added to that Joe Cole is coming back, I think that is a huge addition and it will be great to see Ancelotti give him some play time at the tip of the diamond behind the front two where he belongs.

Essien who missed most of the last campaign will also be back, and as Mikel is improving and is ready to step up to the plate of being the sole DM this allows Essien to room to roam forwards from the right cm position, something I am really looking forward to seeing.

Malouda finally found his form last year and was one of the most in form wingers in the league, it will be interesting to see him fight for a place on the left hand side with Zhirkov who promises to be a great goalscorer as well as attacking winger.

Carvalho too will be back to enjoy a full season,
    and our relatively young defenders in the form of Alex, Ivanovic, Bosingwa and Mancienne will have had time to become more adjusted to the league.

Ballack is no longer required in our first team but will be handy to have around as will Deco, who may well have a better year than last year and if not its no big deal.

Sturridge *may* come good after dazzling in pre-season and Kalou and shevchenko still have something to offer as sub strikers, with J.Cole too being considered up front.

Overall I must say I am excited.

with regards to you saying our players are getting a year older,I do not see it as too big a problem Carvalho is our only old defender, if he struggles we have ample cover,
    It is unfair to say that Lampard is getting old as he continues to improve every year, Ballack and Deco will be used sparingly and Drogba I am sure will prove his critics wrong this year.

Joe cole, malouda, zhirkov, essien, mikel, kalou, bosingwa, wil inject some youth also.

But you had all those players last year, bar Zhirkov. :D
    Sure there is a lot coming back from bad injuries, but I still dont see it as them being anystronger than they were.
    But look, thats just my opinion and the way I see it is, if Alonso leaves Liverpool, it'll be a straight battle (hopefully) between United and Chelsea for the leauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Joe cole, malouda, zhirkov, essien, mikel, kalou, bosingwa, wil inject some youth also.

Youth :pac::pac::pac:

Plus joe cole isnt really likely to play at the tip of the diamond, ancelotti has already said it is likely for mikel to play at the base of the diamond and lampard at the tip, if joe cole plays anywhere itll probably be the left side, and then i dont know what he is gona do with zhirkov.

you shouldnt be confident either way ;)

haha adda boy headshot start the rilvary early!

i genuinely think chelsea have a great team and makes for a very interesting season! i htink it will be the most hotly contested season ever!

as far as silva goes i htink he could be the AM that utd need! can he play with carrick? only time will tell!

• Advertisement

But you had all those players last year, bar Zhirkov. :D
    Sure there is a lot coming back from bad injuries, but I still dont see it as them being anystronger than they were.

so by that logic you don't see how key players picking up bad injuries weakened us last year?

True we didn't make much signings, its mostly the shift to 4-diamond-2 and the return to form of our players that has me excited, there may yet be one star player on the way in too.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Youth :pac::pac::pac:

Plus joe cole isnt really likely to play at the tip of the diamond, ancelotti has already said it is likely for mikel to play at the base of the diamond and lampard at the tip, if joe cole plays anywhere itll probably be the left side, and then i dont know what he is gona do with zhirkov.

Joe Cole has never played on the left hand side for Chelsea, well he did once, but he plays on the right, (left side for england)

Ancelotti also said that he would love to try him out at the tip in a teraquista role behind the two strikers, unlucky for him he will not get picked ahead of Lampard, at least not initialy

He will be second choice right side of diamond behind Essien, ahead of Ballack and Beletti,

Second choice tip of diamond behind Lampard ahead of Essien, Kalou, Shev

and third choice left side behind Zhirkov and Malouda ahead of kalou.

so by that logic you don't see how key players picking up bad injuries weakened us last year?

True we didn't make much signings, its mostly the shift to 4-diamond-2 and the return to form of our players that has me excited, there may yet be one star player on the way in too.

first off a few of your players will be going to the African nations and secondly an unknown manager

so if I was a chelsea fan I wouldnt be that confident

No, I know injuries played there part last year, but Chelsea still have pretty much the same squad as last year. That I dont see the addition of Zhirkov making that much of a difference. Because where do you play him?
    If Ashley Cole & Joe Cole are out injured he'll play instead of either of them, but if there both fit, who do you drop to fit him in.
    It's clear Abromovich is going to want him to play, so it looks like it could be Joe Cole who pays the price, someone who you were looking forward to playing and left side is were he would fit in because as someone else said it'll be Lamps playing the AM role,
    I do think that Chelsea have a good starting 11, probably one most physical in the league, so I'm not shooting them down.

first off a few of your players will be going to the African nations and secondly an unknown manager

so if I was a chelsea fan I wouldnt be that confident

The manager is not unknown its Carlo Ancelotti, he wins stuff, see
    (that is a joke I see your point, he has never managed in england and doesn't win much leagues)

last time the African cup of nations was a blessing in disguise, players like Beletti and pizarro really shone and kept the momentum, I think we won ever game in that period.

My hope is that there is some truth in the Kalou to arsenal rumours and he is being left go to be replaced by aguero or similar, but that is speculation and dreaming for the chelsea thread.

No, I know injuries played there part last year, but Chelsea still have pretty much the same squad as last year. That I dont see the addition of Zhirkov making that much of a difference. Because where do you play him?
    If Ashley Cole & Joe Cole are out injured he'll play instead of either of them, but if there both fit, who do you drop to fit him in.
    It's clear Abromovich is going to want him to play, so it looks like it could be Joe Cole who pays the price, someone who you were looking forward to playing and left side is were he would fit in because as someone else said it'll be Lamps playing the AM role,
    I do think that Chelsea have a good starting 11, probably one most physical in the league, so I'm not shooting them down.

Yes still pretty much the same squad, a little more cover for positions though (mancienne, turnbull, sturridge)

Zhirkov will start in the left position of the diamond, malouda might be given the position for first few week's out of respect for his form last year but zhirkov will make it his own.

I explained the cole situation in a post a few above (he does not play on the left for chelsea)

I see that you are arguing fair and I know you are not trying to shoot us down, I hope I am not being to biased towards them, but I do honestly see our situation looking much brighter than last year.

• Advertisement

Forgetting about any other player chelsea have, may bring in, or rediscover form - a fit Essien, which they didn't have for the majority of last season, will be a massive addition to their midfield.

You just have to look at the difference he made to them last season.

Chelsea would be my favourites for the league at the moment, or at least the side i would fear the most.

The manager is not unknown its Carlo Ancelotti, he wins stuff, see
    (that is a joke I see your point, he has never managed in england and doesn't win much leagues)

last time the African cup of nations was a blessing in disguise, players like Beletti and pizarro really shone and kept the momentum, I think we won ever game in that period.

My hope is that there is some truth in the Kalou to arsenal rumours and he is being left go to be replaced by aguero or similar, but that is speculation and dreaming for the chelsea thread.

I personally think chelsea will be going all out for the CL

carlo is a cup manager after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

having a fit Essien for the year could make a massive difference. Its not like thet were far off the pace last year as it was

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    having a fit Essien for the year could make a massive difference. Its not like thet were far off the pace last year as it was

tbf they had a proper manager, when Gus eventually came so of course their going to climb the table

if Gus was still there,they would probably be the favourites for the league but at the moment they're an unknown quantity

one further point, our opening 6 fixtures are a complete joke they are so easy, so we should get a little head start.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement