Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In addition to JTG pointing out the obvious, i would also like to point out to Headshot that the game at Old Trafford this year, it was Lucas & Mascherano who schooled your midfield. Alonso was injured.

i know utd didnt turn up at all

I would like to see Lucas with masch for next season alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In addition to JTG pointing out the obvious, i would also like to point out to Headshot that the game at Old Trafford this year, it was Lucas & Mascherano who schooled your midfield. Alonso was injured.

i would disapgree that you schooled our midfield. I think the midfield battle was quite even - our defense was absolutely terribly that day, and your lads took their chances. Torres' goal was a long ball which Vidic simply didn't deal with. excellent finish. Free kick was nothing to do with the midfield failing to match up to Lucas and Mascherano. 4th goal - long ball not dealt with, not the midfield. Penalty - terrible individual defending. Not the midfield.

Liverpool deserved the win that day, but i would simply disagree with the assertation that your midfield schooled ours. Barcelona schooled our midfield, Liverpool did not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

As a United supporter, you should know quite well how Liverpool coped without Gerrard and Torres..

As a United fan I don't spend time thinking about Liverpool so I don't know how they got on without the two lads.

I do know how United got on without Gerrard or Torres in our team, we won the Premier League....... again*

*Sorry, one dig deserves another

will people be saying the same about Ronaldo & Tevez & Utd next summer? quite possibly.

Ronaldo - yeah. Tevez, no. Not Tevez. Not at all. He did F-all in the league for us last season. Maybe our Carling Cup campaign will suffer, but I'll live with that, if it is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Headshot wrote: »
    I would like to see Lucas with masch for next season alright

wouldn't get your hopes up. wouldn't expect it anymore than this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

United dominated possession and chances. There was no schooling Al.

We have Owen now to finish those chances off. ;)

:) we'll see

Christ Al, you are in a bad mood tonight. You are the one who brought up the 'shooling' abilities of the Mascherano/Lucas partnership - you can hardly throw digs when someone mentions it. Calm down.

Steven Gerrard & Fernando Torres scored 41 goals for Liverpool last year.

Christiano Ronaldo & Carlos Tevez scored 41 goals for United last year.

Christ Al, you are in a bad mood tonight. You are the one who brought up the 'shooling' abilities of the Mascherano/Lucas partnership - you can hardly throw digs when someone mentions it. Calm down.

I was thinking the exact thing

I think alonso going has finally cracked dear auld Alan
    :D

• Advertisement

I have highlighted the relevant words for you.

Boggles wrote: »
    I have highlighted the relevant words for you.

Mr Alan you got to stop living in the past man

stop living in the past .....

That is a horribly pathetic post Al. Seriously, cheer up.

Tevez got 11 goals in all comps last season. Nani got 10. You wouldn't say Nani is as important to us as Gerrard/Torres are to Liverpool, would you?

Face it Al, Tevez did not have a big impact for us in the league last season. Not like Torres, or Gerrard, or Ronaldo.

To try and say Tevez was as important to us last season as Gerrard and Torres are is pathetically stupid and a poor attempt at deflection - though what you are deflecting is beyond me.

don't get ya boggles!?

my point is Utd fans saying that Liverpool are in trouble, that they are a two man team blah blah, ignore the fact the two men people claim we are ****ed without, scored the same amount last season as the 2 you've sold.

with me?

If i had a choice between replacing Alonso or replacing Torres & Gerrard, i reckon it'd have been an easy choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The equivilant of us losing Ronaldo would be Liverpool losing Torres, not Alonso, i dont know why people are acting as if Torres is gone.

Alonso was a good player for them, but by no means there biggest.

don't get ya boggles!?

my point is Utd fans saying that Liverpool are in trouble, that they are a two man team blah blah, ignore the fact the two men people claim we are ****ed without, scored the same amount last season as the 2 you've sold.

with me?

If i had a choice between replacing Alonso or replacing Torres & Gerrard, i reckon it'd have been an easy choice.

People are saying liverpool COULD be in trouble. They COULD be, or am I mistaken in remember a lot of liverpool fans saying he should have been up there for player of the season, that he was one of the best players in the league last season.

People are saying liverpool COULD be in trouble. They COULD be, or am I mistaken in remember a lot of liverpool fans saying he should have been up there for player of the season, that he was one of the best players in the league last season.

surely you see how funny it is when the same Utd fans who argued AGAINST that, are now making out he was the second coming of Zidane? ;)

don't get ya boggles!?

with me?

No :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

surely you see how funny it is when the same Utd fans who argued AGAINST that, are now making out he was the second coming of Zidane? ;)

the same kind of funny apparent when Liverpool fans make out Tevez had a significant impact in the league for United last season? ;)

In fairness, i've always rated Tevez as important & class, even when he was spouting his love for Utd and seemed to be there for life.

you don't think had an impact in the title run in for Utd last year? really?

• Advertisement

not in the way you put it, comparing his impact with Ronaldo's to that of Gerrard and Torres. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Its spelt Cristiano. There's no 'h'. This proves how little you really know about football.

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Its spelt Cristiano. There's no 'h'. This proves how little you really know about football.

the 2nd coming of christ :D

ITT-Pat wrote: »

i love you too x x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

lol at putting Tevez up there with Gerrard, Torres or Ronaldo.

Gerrard and Torres scored 30 league goals last year
    Ronaldo and Tevez scored 23 league goals last year

Ronaldo and Vidic scored 22 leaguee goals last year
    Ronaldo and Carrick scored 22 league goals last year
    Ronaldo and Fletcher scored 21 league goals last year

Notice anything about those stats :)

In fairness, i've always rated Tevez as important & class, even when he was spouting his love for Utd and seemed to be there for life.

Again I have highlighted the relevant words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Where Mr.Alan is coming from is that its funny that while some people were presidential candidates for the SIGN HIM UP committee, others wernt happy with the way he was speaking out against the club, now it seems everyone is well and truly in the "Good Riddance" squad. Tevez was a fan favourite, he screwed us over, now he isnt a favourite anymore.

Same way people claim we wont miss Ronaldo, of course we will, our top scorer for the last 3 seasons, the current World Player of the Year. But its not like we cant make a serious title challenge and i infact think we will grow as a team, but there will DEFINATELY be those dull days when Stoke park the bus when we all think "Jesus, would love a few lollipops and a 30yard screamer from that boy..."

Thing is some people like to soften the blow by having a friendly pop at other rival clubs and some people take offence to this. This is the reason, for those that were wondering, why these Superthreads contain random clumps of 3-4 pages of stats, arguments and of course, this smiley face ;) Which means, i just had a sly dig at the team you love, but your not allowed get upset, and if you do, i can say things like "Calm down" or "Touchy arnt we?".

The internet, ladies and gentlemen.

Boggles wrote: »
    Again I have highlighted the relevant words.
    What's wrong with mentioning last year?

ah lads in fairness i think i made my point, i'm not saying that Tevez is as good as Ronaldo or Gerrard or anything of the sort.

Just that maybe instead of licking your lips at Liverpool losing Alonso, you should pay more attention to the fact that you've lost Ronaldo & Tevez-which is certainly more comparable to liverpool losing Torres & Gerrard than it is Hypia & Alonso (who we've lost)

• Advertisement

ah lads in fairness i think i made my point, i'm not saying that Tevez is as good as Ronaldo or Gerrard or anything of the sort.

Just that maybe instead of licking your lips at Liverpool losing Alonso, you should pay more attention to the fact that you've lost Ronaldo & Tevez-which is certainly more comparable to liverpool losing Torres & Gerrard than it is Hypia & Alonso (who we've lost)

Ronaldo's loss is huge, I don't think anyone would deny that. But Alonso was one of Liverpool's best performers last season. So his loss will be felt, regardless of who they bring in.

Alonso ranges from 1st-4th on the list for last season, the 2 seasons before that he'd not have been in the top 4 performers at the club.

There shouldn't be a man in the world who'd put Ronaldo as anything other than Utds best player by a mile the last 3 years.

He has been replaced with Valencia. Liverpool will get a decent replacement, may not be Alonso's class just yet, but he'll certainly be closer to it than Valencia is to Ronaldos class.

in other words, i think Liverpool will replace Alonso better than Utd have replaced Ronaldo, and Alonso isn't nearly as important to Liverpool as Ronaldo was to Utd.

Alonso ranges from 1st-4th on the list for last season, the 2 seasons before that he'd not have been in the top 4 performers at the club.

There shouldn't be a man in the world who'd put Ronaldo as anything other than Utds best player by a mile the last 3 years.

He has been replaced with Valencia. Liverpool will get a decent replacement, may not be Alonso's class just yet, but he'll certainly be closer to it than Valencia is to Ronaldos class.

in other words, i think Liverpool will replace Alonso better than Utd have replaced Ronaldo, and Alonso isn't nearly as important to Liverpool as Ronaldo was to Utd.

Wasn't he injured / fell out with Benitez the season previous to last? Regardless, I said last season he was one of your better, if not best performers. Whatever about the seasons before, it's irrelevant to the point I was making.

Yep, second bit I agree with.

Third bit: I don't think you can replace Ronaldo man-for-man. You bring in numerous players to soften the blow, and hopefully - along with improved performances from current squad members - make up the goals / assists he tends to get over the course of a season. Think Arsenal after losing Henry, now there's a more apt comparison. I don't think the situations involving Ronaldo and Alonso are comparable in that regard.

But don't get me wrong, I agree for the most part with what you're saying. As I said before, Alonso was an important player for Liverpool but not in the same way Ronaldo was for Man U (more a talisman tbh). But when I said his loss will be felt I meant that he is a unique footballer.

mg you really are deluded

how the hell do you know that valencia wont blossom at utd ?
    valencia was bought to be his own player,he'll be alot different than Ronaldo,valencia will get alot more assists than Ronaldo and actually track back :eek:

liverpool have been strongly linked with poulsen a player that is no where near alosno's level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Really? So you think that Ronaldo was our best player last year? Despite the fact that he didn't seem to give a stuff, to put it politely, until it got serious in the Champions League? I'm not saying that Ronaldo won't be a loss, of course he will, his pace and threat from long range and in the air made him a phenomenal asset. I'm still not sure as to how we'll line out without him this season. But there's no way that he was our best player last year. Vidic was. By a mile.

valencia was bought to be his own player,he'll be alot different than Ronaldo,valencia will get alot more assists than Ronaldo and actually track back :eek:

i've seen nothing from him at Wigan to suggest he'll blossom anywhere.

89 games (over 80 starts), 7 goals & 8 assists.

• Advertisement

i've seen nothing from him at Wigan to suggest he'll blossom anywhere.

89 games (over 80 starts), 7 goals & 8 assists.

Rooney,berba,carrick,ando,scholes and other man utd players

do this players play for Wigan ?

Scholes & Anderson should tbh.

;)

mg you really are deluded

liverpool have been strongly linked with poulsen a player that is no where near alosno's level
    Obviously he doesn't know whether or not Valencia will blossom. But we can't just assume that he will. The only rational way to try and predict what type of season Valencia will have is to use his previous performances as a guideline.

While those matches wont be ideal to use as they were from when he played with a poor Wigan team rather than a team full of stars, its the best evidence we have. Any predictions suggesting Valencia is going to have a cracking season(while still very possible), is just guesswork/blind faith

headshot 1 mr alan 0

;)

just look at Torres

wasnt the best in Spain but move to a way better team and you know the rest

i think its fair to say the performance and reputation of Torres at Athletico, while not at the heights they have reached since his move to Liverpool, were substantially higher than Valencia's at Wigan.

• Advertisement

i think its fair to say the performance and reputation of Torres at Athletico, while not at the heights they have reached since his move to Liverpool, were substantially higher than Valencia's at Wigan.

thats true but torres was still playing in a way better team in A.madrid than wigan

thats true but torres was still playing in a way better A.madrid team than wigan

so you are admitting your own point was nonsense.

good lad.

good lad.

your very slow to catch on today Mr Alan

right Ill go real slow for ya

when Torres was at A.Madrid,they had a way better team than todays wigan

it's easier to shine in a squad full of talent compared to a medicore team ala wigan

oh god. Its your comparrison!!!!!! its not my fault it was a stupid one!!!!!!

Yes-players can improve, but in general, they don't improve from average to world class.

i'm gonna bow out and go watch SVU or something.

oh god. Its your comparrison!!!!!! its not my fault it was a stupid one!!!!!!

Yes-players can improve, but in general, they don't improve from average to world class.

i'm gonna bow out and go watch SVU or something.

COMEDY.gif

you do drive me nuts you know that

I must have a patience of a saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

good lad.

thats not what he is saying at all! did you read his post?!
    I must have a patience of a saint

+100000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

headshot 1 mr alan 0

;)

just look at Torres

wasnt the best in Spain but move to a way better team and you know the rest

Very true.

Imagine how good he could have been if he came to us :P

Very true.

Imagine how good he could have been if he came to us :P

na I'd prefer David Villa all day long,better player than Torres

na I'd prefer David Villa all day long,better player than Torres

you needn't worry. you got Michael Owen instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

you needn't worry. you got Michael Owen instead.

At least now he will have a chance of winning the Premier league.:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement