Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

At least now he will have a chance of winning the Premier league.:D

Manchester_United_Premier_League_Champions_20_863950.jpg

Like This???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you needn't worry. you got Michael Owen instead.

jebus Mr Alan your very grumpy today

you'd think a major player as left your club

oh wait they have,oops I did a homer

look i think i know what you need

get over here alan
    funny-pictures-kitten-hug.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Headshot wrote: »
    jebus Mr Alan your very grumpy today

you'd think a major player as left your club

oh wait they have,oops I did a homer

look i think i know what you need

do you really not see how funny that is coming from a Utd fan?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    do you really not see how funny that is coming from a Utd fan?

what happened my Hug

you just going to leave me there

that hurts Alan,like a dagger through my heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

funny-pictures-one-cat-wants-a-hug-but-the-other-says-no.jpg
    i hate myself for partaking in this childish nonsense!

"childish nonsense"

Alan
    cheer up would ya ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Erm, moving on.

I want to bring up the issue of captains again. I would prefer one to be on the pitch rather than on the bench. Neville/Giggs have served us well, but United need an offical one on the pitch imo.

The Champions League final was clear. I think Rio is an excellent captain, as he usually is the captain, but the fact he has to give it up for Giggs/Neville bothers me.

Rio for offical club captain, with vice captains staying as Giggs and maybe appointing Rooney as one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

imo it has to be rio, he is a brilliant player, constant profressional and is able to consentrate on his game and captain abilities! he would be my first choice straight away this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

imo it has to be rio, he is a brilliant player, constant profressional and is able to consentrate on his game and captain abilities! he would be my first choice straight away this season!

It's one area United don't have nailed down. Liverpool have Gerrard/Carragher/and had Alonso. Chelsea have Terry/Lamps. A captain who plays week in week out is absolutely essential.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's one area United don't have nailed down. Liverpool have Gerrard/Carragher/and had Alonso. Chelsea have Terry/Lamps. A captain who plays week in week out is absolutely essential.

Spot on! but unfortiunatley i still think that when giggsy is on the pitch rio will hand him the armband....same for nev!

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/118345/Fergie-No-Anfield-tilt/

Fergie on the ball as usually
    SIR Alex Ferguson has written off Liverpool as title contenders and says he knows how Chelsea will play under new manager Carlo Ancelotti.

Ferguson is looking for United’s fourth straight Premier League title and predicts Chelsea are his main rivals.

Liverpool are discounted by Ferguson, further fuelling the war between him and their manager Rafa Benitez, claiming they are only dangerous when Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres are in the team.
    Xabi Alonso got his way yesterday and was sold to Real Madrid for £30million, but Ferguson says that losing him will not change anything at Liverpool.

“I don’t know if it will make a big difference to Liverpool, Alonso going,” he said. “He is a good player, but I’m not sure if losing him will affect them.

“The thrust of the Liverpool team is really all about Gerrard and Torres. If they stay fit, it improves Liverpool’s chances. But Liverpool have just had probably their best season for 20 years, finished up with 86 points, and still finished four adrift. It will be hard for them to match that, let alone improve. Other teams will read Liverpool better.”

Ferguson is convinced Chelsea are the only team to give United a run for their money.“It has to be Chelsea as the main threat,” said Ferguson.

“Ancelotti will change the way Chelsea play. There is plenty of flexibility in what he’s got and he should get goals from Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka.”

fishing rod out for Mr Alan

yap chelsea would be my biggest fear too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Pfft, that's the equivalent of saying Newcastle will contend for a Champions League next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Pfft, that's the equivalent of saying Newcastle will contend for a Champions League next season.

errrrrmmm........ how'd you figure that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I want to bring up the issue of captains again. I would prefer one to be on the pitch rather than on the bench. Neville/Giggs have served us well, but United need an offical one on the pitch imo.

The Champions League final was clear. I think Rio is an excellent captain, as he usually is the captain, but the fact he has to give it up for Giggs/Neville bothers me.

Rio for offical club captain, with vice captains staying as Giggs and maybe appointing Rooney as one too.

Rio is such a great leader of the defence he seems like the natural choice for long term captain. I don't think it matters too much that Giggs gets the armband occasionally though, it's not like it's going to undermine Rio or anything.

I don't like the idea of Nev playing at all, never mind being captain. Don't like to be harsh on the man but retirement seems like the only sensible option for him to me.

Rooney shouldn't be given any vice-captain responsibillities (what ever they would be) imo. I think he relies on being fired up and on the edge so much for his game, team responsibility would harm his game at this stage imo.

Whenever Hargreaves has played for us he's looked like a great candidate for captain to me - committed, organising and aggressive. I really hope he recovers and has a good few years of success with us. Tbh, though, i don't have much hope that he will.

errrrrmmm........ how'd you figure that?

Set the sarcasm meter up mate :D

Nah seriously, in the back of his mind he knows we'll be there or there abouts - I thought by now you'd all have gotten up to date with the Liverpool/Man Utd exchanges, especially Fergie, have been at.

He hates Liverpool, he's hardly gonna say we will contend. It's Fergie for crying out loud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Edwin misses season's start

The Reds have been dealt a blow ahead of the new season after United confirmed that Edwin van der Sar has been sidelined for the start of the 2009/10 campaign.

The 38-year-old Dutch goalkeeper has this week undergone surgery on a broken finger and bone in his left hand, and will be out for up to eight weeks.

Van der Sar suffered the injury saving a penalty from Danijel Pranjic in United's 7-6 shoot-out defeat to Bayern Munich in the pre-season Audi Cup tournament in Germany.

The prognosis means that van der Sar won't be back to full fitness until the end of September, and therefore unlikely to be available for selection till either the Arsenal match on Saturday 29 August, or against Tottenham Hotspur a fortnight later after the international break.

It is frustrating news for Sir Alex, especially as van der Sar was so important to United's defensive solidarity last season. However, Ben Foster signed a new contract in July and Sir Alex said at the time that "[he] is seen as one of the best young goalkeepers in England and we genuinely see him as a successor to Edwin."

This could be the opening Foster has waited so patiently for, although Tomasz Kuszczak will also see this as an opportunity to prove his worth. Sir Alex's selection will be an interesting one for Wednesday's friendly against Valencia and at Wembley this weekend against Chelsea in the Community Shield.

I dont know how to add links but its on the official site.

Not a great start I hope Foster hits the ground running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Pranjic has just put the fear of God into every would-be blocker of a shot or free kick that he gets from now on this season. Keepers too, of course.:pac:

Foster could be a sly move for the Fantasy League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldn't worry about losing Edwin for the first 3 games as I reckon they are straightforward enough. I'd be concerned if he missed the games afterwards though against Arsenal and Spurs. Hopefully he has a quick recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well, I wanted Foster to get a chance to prove himself from the start of the season. This should be his chance now. If he does well for us in the Community Shield and the league games, i would imagine Fergie will stick with him rather than dump him back out of the team. So, come on Foster, show us what you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Good shout considering Rio and Vidic will be doing most of the clean sheet work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

I can't wait to see how foster actually does now. A run of games to prove himself. At least we'll get a proper idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

He hates Liverpool

He only hates them when they're in a title race ;) Just like Chelsea and Arsenal before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Don't jinx him...he's slightly injury prone himself:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

VDS is a huge loss. Luckily the first 3 matches we should have the majority possession of the ball and Foster shouldn't be under too much pressure.

When is he due back? Arse match is on the 29th.

Boggles wrote: »
    VDS is a huge loss. Luckily the first 3 matches we should have the majority possession of the ball and Foster shouldn't be under too much pressure.

When is he due back? Arse match is on the 29th.
    The 8 weeks Sky Sports are saying has him back the 29th September.

Rags reporting United will attempt to Sign the 2 Valencia boys today.

Absolute bollix, but I can imagine the thread as a whole having multiple orgasms if it does happen! :D

Rags reporting United will attempt to Sign the 2 Valencia boys today.

Absolute bollix, but I can imagine the thread as a whole having multiple orgasms if it does happen! :D

Yep - indeed it is.

Honestly, if they are going to base a decision to sign two players of their caliber on a pre-season friendly someone needs shooting.

What could we possibly learn about the two lads tonight that a well paid scouting network wouldn't have learnt while the two lads were playing for Valencia in La Liga, the CL and for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Hopefully now Foster will get his chance, and he can take it wit both hands and hold onto it.
    That's the papers for you Boggles, never refuses ink.
    Just watching Premier league years, jesus Paul Scholes got some crackers in the 99-00 season. :D

Yep - indeed it is.

Honestly, if they are going to base a decision to sign two players of their caliber on a pre-season friendly someone needs shooting.

What could we possibly learn about the two lads tonight that a well paid scouting network wouldn't have learnt while the two lads were playing for Valencia in La Liga, the CL and for Spain.

Hypothetically speaking it would be the perfect oportunity to sign them, Valencia are guests of United, will be treated like kings, slip the president into a small room full of money and go "What you think of that Senior? - Just make sure those 2 lads don't get back on the bus and it's all yours!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

nicklauski wrote: »
    Just watching Premier league years, jesus Paul Scholes got some crackers in the 99-00 season. :D

The ones against Boro and Bradford will live long in the memory. Screamers.

Utd signed ronaldo after playing against him

Very different imo. Ronaldo was very much an untested youngster. He certainly made a name for himself that night. Villa could score a hattrick tonight and it wouldn't be an announcement - it would be Villa doing what we know Villa can do. Villa and Silva aren't two 17 year old stars of the future. Very different to Ronaldo.

Also, we had the Ronaldo deal all but done according to Fergie, it was just brought forward based on what happened that night and the reaction of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

True. Although some people think he signed just because of his performance that night..

Im starting to think there may be a little more truth behind the Silva story, Fergie bid for him last season so he obviously fancies him, but in what position i just dont know? Anyone reckon he might want to mould him into an Iniesta role??

Very different imo. Ronaldo was very much an untested youngster. He certainly made a name for himself that night. Villa could score a hattrick tonight and it wouldn't be an announcement - it would be Villa doing what we know Villa can do. Villa and Silva aren't two 17 year old stars of the future. Very different to Ronaldo.

Also, we had the Ronaldo deal all but done according to Fergie, it was just brought forward based on what happened that night and the reaction of the players.

The way valencia played for wigan at the time against utd did him no harm

only1stevo wrote: »
    True. Although some people think he signed just because of his performance that night..

Im starting to think there may be a little more truth behind the Silva story, Fergie bid for him last season so he obviously fancies him, but in what position i just dont know? Anyone reckon he might want to mould him into an Iniesta role??

That would be the role i would see for him, but we don't have that role imo. Not if we are playing Rooney and Berbatov up front and through the middle as Fergie has indicated.

Maybe you are right though, in that he could play in the ROnaldo role, on the opposite wing (Kinda like Iniesta at times) where he would be a player with free roam between LW and AMC. WOuld be the opposite to how we played last season at times, when we had Ronaldo one wing and Park on the other. this time we would have Silva on the left as the free attacking threat and Valencia on the right as the more defensively competent hard working winger (with more attacking threat than Park) the CM's would have to work very hard.

I think there might be a slim chance Fergie is in for Silva.

We know for a fact there was 60-65 million in the transfer kitty this year, he went for Benzema and Ribery.

Silva for the right money and I think a deal could be struck.

Sooner the better to be honest, as in Silva lining out for United tonight. :D

I think there might be a slim chance Fergie is in for Silva.

We know for a fact there was 60-65 million in the transfer kitty this year, he went for Benzema and Ribery.

Silva for the right money and I think a deal could be struck.

Sooner the better to be honest, as in Silva lining out for United tonight. :D

Or starting for Valencia and coming on as a second half sub for United. (ignores the fact rules and regulations would prevent it from happening)

Silva lining out for United tonight. :D

Pun intended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Losing VDS is a blow but Im hoping Foster can take this opportunity now and really push for a first team spot, this is his big shot.

I agree with Boogles, id say there is a chance we would go for Silva if he was available at the right price (and going by how this summer has gone I doubt he is)

What time is KO tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Losing VDS is a blow but Im hoping Foster can take this opportunity now and really push for a first team spot, this is his big shot.

I agree with Boogles, id say there is a chance we would go for Silva if he was available at the right price (and going by how this summer has gone I doubt he is)

What time is KO tonight?

25mill+ I'd say.

8.00. Coverage on MUTV starts at 7.00.

25mill+ I'd say.

8.00. Coverage on MUTV starts at 7.00.
    Id be more inclined to say 30 million + in the current climate.

Hopefully there will be afew good streams about for the game. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Hopefully Villa will be impressed at Old Trafford, so much so that he doesnt leave :D

Id be more inclined to say 30 million + in the current climate.

thats the problem and thats the main reason why i think fergie hasnt gone mad with the chequebook - even though he has the money and i am sure he is allowed spend it, thw hugely inflated transfer fees dont match the perceived value of the players themselves!

thats the problem and thats the main reason why i think fergie hasnt gone mad with the chequebook - even though he has the money and i am sure he is allowed spend it, thw hugely inflated transfer fees dont match the perceived value of the players themselves!
    Yeah I agree, which is why Im skeptical he would spend 30 plus million on Silva when he wouldnt go over 34 million for Benzema.

How much was our bid that was rejected for Silva last summer as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

i believe it was £25 million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It was never disclosed how much our rejected bid was.

If Fergie is impressed by Silva tonight, and Valencia dont quote us £30m or something rediculous, he could well buy him. He is an exiting player, under Ferguson he could go on to be a world beater.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    It was never disclosed how much our rejected bid was.

truw but the nunbers throw naround verge from 20-25 million and that seems pretty agreed apon accorss the board!
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If Fergie is impressed by Silva tonight he will buy him. He is an exiting player, under Ferguson he could go on to be a world beater.

i think we are in for a very interesting match tongiht definatley! half time you see villa and silva coming on as utd players!! :pac: :pac:

miralize wrote: »
    Hopefully Villa will be impressed at Old Trafford, so much so that he doesnt leave :D

Dont get me wrong villa is pure class but if signing him would hinder the young strikers no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

silva's not going anywhere. liverpool have been there already.

valencia want an insane amount of money, which fergie won't pay. also he's repeatedly said of his love for the club, and that he's delighted to stay. it's a no-brainer at this stage.

he'll eventually go to Real/Barca or he'll stay at Valencia. i suspect he has no desire to leave Spain.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement