Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

jasonorr wrote: »
    if only buying the right players was as easy as it sounds!
    See this is the most sensible thing that's been said in the last two pages... nobody seems to be thinking about the teams and (particularly) defences in front of them.

For my money, I'm not sure how great a keeper Sorensen is. And especially not for the areas we're lacking in - command/aerial presence. I mean he generally has at least 3 CBs in his back 4 heading away balls for him all day. Can we really judge what he'd be like behind our defence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I dont think so ive been supporting arsenal since before the wenger era i remeber when bruce rioch got sacked for landing us in mid table obscurity.

He got the bullet because he made an ar$e of the Clarence Seedorf signing. Can't remember was he on holidays and said he'd do it later, well whatever he did, Dein pretty much proposed getting Wenger and sacking rioch directly after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jasonorr wrote: »
    As far as I was aware, we never really had to worry about debt repayments because of our revenues so what was the reason behind us not spending? The interest repayment were £25m before, they've been reduced by £8m which is significant but, I don't believe that's the difference between us not spending in the past and deciding to spend this summer!

The Highbury loan was a short term loan of around £100m that the club was forced to take out when the property market crashed. It was continually being refinanced and there was a huge degree of uncertainty surrounding the clubs ability to repay it until sales of Highbury square kicked off again last year. In hindsight interest repayments were fairly small, but at the time it wasn't clear what would be required 6 months down the line to pay it off, there seems to have been a real fear the banks might call it all in at once.

I can't claim certainty on the issue, and I do think the biggest reason for not spending was simply a lack of "value" in the market. But I do think the shadow that was the Highbury loan caused the club the be a bit more conservative than it need have been.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He got the bullet because he made an ar$e of the Clarence Seedorf signing. Can't remember was he on holidays and said he'd do it later, well whatever he did, Dein pretty much proposed getting Wenger and sacking rioch directly after it.
    Seedorf?

drooling_homer.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I can't claim certainty on the issue, and I do think the biggest reason for not spending was simply a lack of "value" in the market.

I think its time for Wenger to bite the bullet a bit on this issue also. Players are overpriced now pure and simple.

He's getting Chamakh on a free aswell so no reason why he can't go out and spend €15 mil + on one player if the money is there. Every other club with title ambitions does it.

He's done enough bargain basement stuff to secure his position as the master of it but if its not an option then money needs to be spent on the right type of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Paleface wrote: »
    I think its also time for Wenger to bite the bullet a bit on this issue also. Players are overpriced now pure and simple.

He's getting Chamakh on a free aswell so no reason why he can't go out and spend €15+ on one player if the money is there. Every other club with title ambitions does it.

15 euro??

Sure I'd do a job for him for that price! :pac:

Frisbee wrote: »
    15 euro??

Sure I'd do a job for him for that price! :pac:

:D

That's probably what he bought Stepanovs for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Seedorf?

drooling_homer.png

Rioch dealyed the signing because he was on hols, or something to that effect, Real nipped in and signed him. I drool at the thought too, Overmars, Bergkamp and Seedorf on the same team. Our answer to Gullit, Rijkard, van basten at milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

For me Arsenal without Wenger is almost unimaginable, I've never known Arsenal without Wenger (Only 16) and without the style and panache of football we play, one of my first football memories is the FA Cup vs Newcastle (I was 4) and ever since I have been enthralled by Arsenal and Wenger, I saw some real sucess in my first 11 or so years but never really took it in so although I'd love to win something I don't majorly miss the success and have patience with Wenger and most of the Arsenal players, for me we need to keep Wenger as long as possible. I am sure he will make changes this summer and I'd be happy with A keeper,CB and Chamakh , if he does bring in 3 or 4 players I'd be confident of another top 3 finish (Hopeful for top spot!) and tittle challenge and hopefully the FA Cup to boot.

peabutler wrote: »
    if he does bring in 3 or 4 players I'd be confident of another top 3 finish (Hopeful for top spot!) and tittle challenge and hopefully the FA Cup to boot.

I don't think we'll win the FA Cup again under Wenger.

He seems to take it only slightly more seriously than the League Cup and puts out teams accordingly.

• Advertisement

I don't no if we can get through the 3rd and 4th he seems to take it a bit more serious, we were in the SF two years ago and Fabianski messed up.

I don't no if we can get through the 3rd and 4th he seems to take it a bit more serious, we were in the SF two years ago and Fabianski messed up.

Exactly, we sent out a weakened team.

Fabianski over Almunia
    Eboue over Sagna (think Sagna still wasn't 100% though)
    Diaby over Arshavin
    Denilson over Song (although they were fairly similair in squad position at that stage)
    Walcott over Nasri

He was sticking with players he ahd played all the way through and although it was weakened team it was still a good team, capable of winning I thought.

I dunno, I still think it a seriously stupid mistake to have left Arshavin on the bench in that game.

Oh yeah I agree but I still have a hope that we can go far, obviously the League is number one but I'll take anything. I'd love to see a starting XI next season of

Hart
    Sagna ?????? Vermaelen Clichy

Song
    Arshavin Fabregas Nasri

R.V.P Chamakh.

It was, and Wenger's reasoning for doing so (confidence for the CL) was utterly ludicrous.

But I think we can win the FA cup again under Wenger.

But I think we can win the FA cup again under Wenger.

Oh we can, we certainly could have won it this year imo.

But I'm not so sure we will

the FA Cup vs Newcastle (I was 4)
    I know it's not your fault... but ouch that hurt.

Why ?? :D

• Advertisement

It was, and Wenger's reasoning for doing so (confidence for the CL) was utterly ludicrous.
    In fairness, it was injuries as well (Diaby, Sagna, maybe even Clichy being protected a bit at that stage, plus Bendtner and RVP both being still out at that stage).

Plus he played Fabregas, which was the big one for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Oh yeah I agree but I still have a hope that we can go far, obviously the League is number one but I'll take anything. I'd love to see a starting XI next season of

Hart
    Sagna ?????? Vermaelen Clichy

Song
    Arshavin Fabregas Nasri

R.V.P Chamakh.

Starting 11 of

Top Class keeper

Sagna---Gallas---Verm---Clichy

Song
    ----Fabregas----Ramsey
    Nasri
    Arshavin
    Van Persie

Second 11 of

Almunia

Eboue---Campbell---Good young CB---Gibbs

Denilson
    Diaby
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Rosicky
    Chamakh

Bakck-up in Mananone, Djourou, Vela, Eastmond, Bendtner and one more midfielder.

I think we would have a great chance at winning the league with the above. Also I don't give a fcuk about winning the FA cup unless it's part of a double or treble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wreck wrote: »
    Starting 11 of

Top Class keeper

Sagna---Gallas---Verm---Clichy

Song
    ----Fabregas----Ramsey
    Nasri
    Arshavin
    Van Persie

Second 11 of

Almunia

Eboue---Campbell---Good young CB---Gibbs

Denilson
    Diaby
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Rosicky
    Chamakh

Bakck-up in Mananone, Djourou, Vela, Eastmond, Bendtner and one more midfielder.

I think we would have a great chance at winning the league with the above. Also I don't give a fcuk about winning the FA cup unless it's part of a double or treble.

You're forgetting half of them will be injured for a good part of the season.

Will Bendtner deserve to be third choice striker behind Chamakh though?

He's done well when called upon this year and I think he should remain second choice striker again next year.

Will Bendtner deserve to be third choice striker behind Chamakh though?

He's done well when called upon this year and I think he should remain second choice striker again next year.

I could see Bendtner being used more until Chamakh settles in alright but then he could find himself back out on the right more permanently again with Nasri playing more in midfield complementing Cesc.

Linked to Gary Cahill today also. Opinions on him? Haven't seen a lot of him myself, though he seems to be quite rated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Linked to Gary Cahill today also. Opinions on him? Haven't seen a lot of him myself, though he seems to be quite rated.

From what ive seen of him i wouldnt mind seing him in an arsenal shirt, but i dont think this one will go through because hes english which usually mean an inflated price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

So well done to the 2 guys that said Arsenal could survive a few injuried/suspended players... Clearly they can't. I would rez the posts that made the arguement valid but clearly the most valid point in the arguement is s.Campbell/Silvestre = Wigan 3-2 Arsenal.

Dear god no... I'd hate to have to listen to those English commentators **** up the pronunciation of Cahill week in week out...

IT'S CAHILL, AS IN CAT, NOT K-HILL, YOU USELESS ****ING NAME MURDERING MORONS!

:mad:

s.Campbell/Silvestre = Wigan 3-2 Arsenal.

No no

Fabianksi + Spineless performance = Wigan 3 -2 Arsenal

Can't blame the CB partnership

No no

Fabianksi + Spineless performance = Wigan 3 -2 Arsenal

Can't blame the CB partnership

fabianski is not a fault for their 1st goal while for the second yes majorly.

Their 1st goal silvestre and campbell should have either taken responsibilty for holding the line and making the midfield get closer to close the lines Wigan can play in.

The 3rd goal is just laughable Silvestre was a complete joke should have closed nzogbia down and let Campbell drop over instead he chose to try run around Campbell's fat arse and left plenty of space for charlie to take a strike.

• Advertisement

Campbell is actually quite fast now he is back at full fitness.

So well done to the 2 guys that said Arsenal could survive a few injuried/suspended players... Clearly they can't
    And you were saying this after 80 minutes as well I suppose?

I'm not sure he's the loud, organising type we seem to need? Though I'd say he'd be a far better header of the ball than anyone we have now.

I'd love a Sol type (only a few years younger) to boss Vermaelen round, discipline him a bit (less of the mad dashes upfield for one). I expect to see more Hangeland stories, even if his injury record this year would concern me.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    And you were saying this after 80 minutes as well I suppose?

football is a game of 90mins plus injury time.

If your older players mentally slip-up and make bad decisions due to tiredness(mentally) then I would say that Vermaelen and Gallas would have held out better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why are you coming in here trying to wind people up? Because that's the only way I read your posts - they offer nothing constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'm not sure he's the loud, organising type we seem to need?.

I can see Vermaelen becming that guy now he is settled.He looks like a leader to me and once he's not the new guy anymore I think he could grow into that role.I'm probably wrong though!

If your older players mentally slip-up and make bad decisions due to tiredness(mentally) then I would say that Vermaelen and Gallas would have held out better.

Well obviously Verm and Gallas would have held out better.

Can you guess why? Because their our first choice CB pairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I'm looking forward to next season a lot. New kit, hopefully the odd new player and a fresh assault on a transitory Utd and an aging Chelski...it really could be our time!!

:)

That said I feel like this at the start of every new season with Arsenal...

Also looking forward to the summer transfer market...should be interesting because Wenger is notorious for getting his deals done before an international tournament gets underway (Nasri, Rosicky et al)

Have to say I wouldn't be too excited about the transfer window myself. GK and CB obviously the positions I'd be most concerned about, and I don't see that many targets readily available who I'd be happy with. I know there are a plenty young CBs like Boateng, Zapata, Cahill etc. who might be got, but Verm is still a bit raw and I'd rather someone more experienced along side him, not to mention prices will be insane.

Tbh I'm beginning to think Metzelder is probably as exciting as it gets if we can't hang onto Gallas. The outside possibility is someone like Chiellini (as there has been talk in a few places that Juve will sell one of the big names to free up cash for the new manager), but even then you'd be talking about spending the majority of the budget on a single player so it wouldn't be ideal...

in an ideal world: Neuer (£8-10m), Zapata (£12m), Hazard (£12-14m)... *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

in an ideal world: Neuer (-10m), Zapata (m), Hazard (-14m)... *sigh*

Even when I limit my transfer hopes to positions I'd like to strengthen, I'm usually disappointed...don't get your hopes up, just go with the flow!

• Advertisement

Verm is still a bit raw and I'd rather someone more experienced along side him, not to mention prices will be insane.

in an ideal world: Neuer (£8-10m), Zapata (£12m), Hazard (£12-14m)... *sigh*

Sure Zapata is only 20 so in an ideal world wouldn't he be too raw?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

fabianski is not a fault for their 1st goal while for the second yes majorly.

Their 1st goal silvestre and campbell should have either taken responsibilty for holding the line and making the midfield get closer to close the lines Wigan can play in.

The 3rd goal is just laughable Silvestre was a complete joke should have closed nzogbia down and let Campbell drop over instead he chose to try run around Campbell's fat arse and left plenty of space for charlie to take a strike.

The 1st goal was down to mindless Diaby again. He just let Watson wander away from him as he was attracted to the ball and then they just cut the ball back, Diaby nowhere near Watson and bang, 2-1.

How anyone can slag Campbell after his recent performances is beyond me. He deserves another 1 yr contract IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Roaster wrote: »
    How anyone can slag Campbell after his recent performances is beyond me. He deserves another 1 yr contract IMO.

This.

Tell me he's a fat arse after watching him in that foot race with Rodallega(who ain't slow).

Sure Zapata is only 20 so in an ideal world wouldn't he be too raw?

All right, which one of ye messed with wiki? He's 6'2, 23 years old (24 in Sept.) and someone who can play across the backline. He's having a poor enough season though, the sheen has come off him a little bit...

Guardian's Rumour Mill has a bunch of names we're supposedly linked with...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/20/football-transfer-rumours
    "You must not expect too much from him too soon, he's still developing, in England you're always seeking easy solutions but what you need here is patience and understanding. He'll come good, you'll see." Arsène Wenger talking about one of his eternally budding players? Yes. But it is also Arsène apologists talking about Arsène himself. Wenger, you see, has turned into one of his players. It is a curious career path that the Frenchman has chosen, going from being the undisputed professor of the Premier League to an apprentice of some potential.

Ah, but Wenger is too wily to allow this sad charade to continue any longer. At least that is what we may deduce from the prattle linking him with a summer move for a proper goalkeeper: Hugo Lloris has been mentioned but that surely depends on a) Lyon not qualifying for the Champions League and b) Wenger smashing his transfer record. So maybe we should give credence to the whispers about Atlético Madrid's 20-year-old shot-stopper Sergio Asenjo or the suggestions that Scott Loach will simply be invited to jump over the hedge that separates Watford's training ground from Arsenal's. Manuel Almunia, meanwhile, is loth to leave his native England so will hook up with Wolves or Wigan.

Last week Wenger confirmed that he will buy a centre-back. Naturally, then, this week has brought much speculation as to whom that will be. Hamburg's Jerome Boateng has been mentioned, but Manchester City and Chelsea are after him too and Arsenal can't compete with them for wages – or can they? Dortmund's Neven Subotic is a recurring name too, as is that of 19-year-old Montenegrin Stefan Savic. Montpellier's Mapou Yanga-M'Biwa is an intriguing one. And Ryan Shawcross's is just provocative.

lol at Sergio Asenjo, another FM legend. Is he actually any good?

Asenjo is supposed to be very impressive alright.

Mapou Yanga-M'Biwa? Sounds like a Stargate character.

Funny, that Guardian article lists all those but doesn't have any of the CBs I've read us being linked to recently. Cahill, Metzelder, Bonucci or Ranocchia.

Also, Sol is quoted this morning as saying he wants to stay on next season. Great news.

Bonucci or Ranocchia.

Ooh, I hadn't heard about these. Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mates in the pub reckon I'm nuts thinking Sol could be useful for England. That's fair enough but they rated Matt Upson far more than Sol.

I know some here may be biased but I think Upson is fairly ordinary. I actually think Sol at his age is still far quicker and just as good in most other areas of defending.

Ooh, I hadn't heard about these. Any good?
    Not a big Serie A fan anymore so I couldn't tell ya! Both are 22 and very tall. Inter were apparently in for Ranocchia, but the player denied it. He suffered a bad knee injury though...

From wiki, on Bonucci:
    At Bari he has become first choice in central defence under head coach Giampiero Ventura, showing a composed yet strong and effective defensive style. He has formed an extremely strong partnership with Andrea Ranocchia which has been so effective that, as of the midway point in the 2009–10 season, Bari had the second best defensive record in Serie A. The strong partnership ended after Ranocchia injured in mid-season and ruled out from rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Mates in the pub reckon I'm nuts thinking Sol could be useful for England. That's fair enough but they rated Matt Upson far more than Sol.

I know some here may be biased but I think Upson is fairly ordinary. I actually think Sol at his age is still far quicker and just as good in most other areas of defending.

Sol would be decent cover, and his experience would no doubt help. But the big reason not to take him is simply that if he were actually needed to play he'd have a hard time recovering in time. A Tournament is simply too much of a risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement