Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    On possible players to resign, would anyone else take Lassana Diarra back? He's dropped down the Madrid places recently and I think he'd add a bit of bite that even Song doesn't really provide.

It'd be nice to get a top class DM in, but I'd rather we prioritize GK, CB and a winger. Assuming we get a new CB in, with Djourou (who did well in the DM role for Brum a couple of years ago) and Eastmond I think we should be okay for defensive midfield. I'd agree given how they've failed to make an impact this season one of Denilson and Diaby will probably need to be traded in sooner rather than later, but at the moment there are more immediate areas of concern imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Defo needed him after the flamster took the free.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Diarra should never have been sold. I don't like him, but I think we'd look vastly superior with a pitbull type in midfield. Defensively we'd look a lot more solid but offensively I think there'd be benefits from winning the ball higher up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Diarra should never have been sold. I don't like him, but I think we'd look vastly superior with a pitbull type in midfield. Defensively we'd look a lot more solid but offensively I think there'd be benefits from winning the ball higher up the pitch.

I think it was the right decision with the way he was acting, I just wish he had a bit of patience!

With Flamini stalling on his contract and Gilberto to be let go, it was a crazy decision. He was on a long term contract; the club should have played hard-ball.

It was madness to sell Diarra... possibly the biggest mistake of Wenger's career, considering how much the midfield stunted the potential of this generation.

Don't think Wenger had a choince in the matter, diarra did or said something and wenger was ready to sell him almost immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

With Flamini stalling on his contract and Gilberto to be let go, it was a crazy decision. He was on a long term contract; the club should have played hard-ball.

It was a crazy situation to find ourselves in.

December we have 3 very good DM style players.

Then by June they were all gone.

It was madness to sell Diarra... possibly the biggest mistake of Wenger's career, considering how much the midfield stunted the potential of this generation.

Wenger gets rid of players who make it obvious they no longer want to be at the club, personally I'd never criticise him for that!

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Wenger gets rid of players who make it obvious they no longer want to be at the club, personally I'd never criticise him for that!

He had three players for one position, two of whose registration wasn't secured and he sold the third before ensuring their would be personnel for the position. It was a mistake, no doubt about it. A mistake made for the right reasons perhaps, but nevertheless a mistake.

Some competition for Song would be nice, but not essential. But we've alreagy got player for there in Denilson and Eastmond. Coquelin to a lesser extent.

GK and CB are much bigger priorities.

All this talk of possible CM options got me thinking, has anyone heard anything about Samuel Galindo since we signed him? There was talk at one stage about him being in the frame for the first team squad by the end of this season, but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth completely since. Anyone know anything?

All this talk of possible CM options got me thinking, has anyone heard anything about Samuel Galindo since we signed him? There was talk at one stage about him being in the frame for the first team squad by the end of this season, but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth completely since. Anyone know anything?

Not sure what the story is apart from the fact that we have to sort out work permit issues before he can play here!

He doesn't really exist. It was all an elaborate prank.

Not sure what the story is apart from the fact that we have to sort out work permit issues before he can play here!

Ah, that would make sense then as to why he's not registered anywhere. Still, it'd be nice to know what level he is at, he seemed a dead cert for the 'special talent' exemption after his U-20 performances.

Spotted a couple of articles on goal today, nothing majorly interesting but something to pass the time:
    Arsenal Analysis: The Five Reasons Why Arsene Wenger Has Not Yet Signed A New Contract
    Arsenal And Arsene Wenger Need To Tell Fans The Truth About Failure To Spend Big Money - Frank McLintock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Looking forward to seeing Davide De Gea against Pool this week, some keeper and 19. (Prob a bit too Young for Arsenal but as a Keeper myself he is some player to watch)

Yeah, apparently Galindo will join in the summer but will probably have to go out on loan in Spain for a while before he can get a WP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Surely people didn't really know how good Diarra would become? He was a fairly unremarkable player at Chelsea and Arsenal with some glimpses of quality IIRC.

JPA wrote: »
    Surely people didn't really know how good Diarra would become? He was a fairly unremarkable player at Chelsea and Arsenal with some glimpses of quality IIRC.

He looked like a great player and I wasn't surprised at all by how well he played at Pompey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Still, it'd be nice to know what level he is at
    Well there was a whole lot of stuff questioning what age he was too. Young Guns had a lot of stuff on it if you check there, some Bolivian TV station was pushing the story, I remember, but it wasn't really going anywhere here.

JPA, Diarra was quality in his time at Arsenal - he hasn't really improved in his time at Pompey/Real, he's just had more gametime. I was gutted when he left - he was definitely a better option than Gilberto that season too I'd say.

• Advertisement

I think it was the right decision with the way he was acting, I just wish he had a bit of patience!

Exactly. if he wasnt prepared to wait then f*ck him.
    He is happy to rot on the Madrid bench for more then enough a week i bet.

In comparison to Gilberto, Flamster and Song, he wasn't much better anyhow.

Jaysis, Lloris looks exactly like what we have!!! What about Adler, I bought him in fm :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

jordainius wrote: »
    I'm massively concerned about the Barcelona game, I can't see us winning it over both legs and as we have seen more than once this season, this team does not respond well to defeat, and usually follows it up with another defeat or two in the next few games.

I posted this on March 21st- sadly I was spot on.

Jaysis, Lloris looks exactly like what we have!!!

I keep telling people this but no one believes me! His positioning is poor!

I keep telling people this but no one believes me! His positioning is poor!

I said basically this in the match thread earlier.

He will be great.

At the moment he's decent except for his anticipation.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I said basically this in the match thread earlier.

He will be great.

At the moment he's decent except for his anticipation.

That's like saying Fabianski will be great!

That's like saying Fabianski will be great!

Nah I think Lloris will be good, he shows glimpses of potential.

Fabianski doesn't imo.

Fabianski's problems seem a bit different to Almunia's to be fair. Almunia makes basic goalkeeping mistakes, 99% of the it's in relation to his positioning, coming off his line when he shouldn't, leaving too much space at the near post etc. He's relatively ok under pressure for the most part, makes some fantastic reactions saves and is quick to get up. It's like he can't concentrate or something. When he needs to make a decision, but has time to make (like when the ball is coming over the top in the air) he seems to just forget himself and where the goals are in relation to him.

Fabianski's on the other hand are handling errors for the most part. But given he is capable of making some stunning saves this suggests nerves to me more than anything else. I think he just needs to play first team football regularly more than anything, to get used to the crowds, the lights, the cameras. But unfortunately for him, we can't afford to give him the game time he needs. I think we should sell him and just retain a first option on him or something.

I miss Bobby

And Freddie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I miss Bobby

I miss bergkamp ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ah no. Watching all those videos is a bit depressing. The Titi, Bobby, Freddie, Paddy and Bergkamp era is gone and it ain't coming back.

The Titi, Bobby, Freddie, Paddy and Bergkamp era is gone and it ain't coming back.

Or is it......

default.jpg

Tbh, what depresses me most is that we have one of the worlds best players in our squad and we so far haven't give him the platform to achieve anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

now im only quoting someone on arsenal mania.

YoungGun wrote:Arsenal set to confirm the free transfer of Chamakh early in May.

They are also hoping to seal a deal for Eden Hazard, discussions are believed to be at an advanced stage on a £13m to £15m transfer.

Talk is still on going regarding Eduardo to Lyon, the only stumbling block is the price. Lyon hope to pay in the region of £6m not the £8m that is being quoted.

A deal involving Eduardo plus £10m for Lyon keeper Hugo Lloris may be the solution

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

YoungGun wrote:Arsenal set to confirm the free transfer of Chamakh early in May.

They are also hoping to seal a deal for Eden Hazard, discussions are believed to be at an advanced stage on a £13m to £15m transfer.

Talk is still on going regarding Eduardo to Lyon, the only stumbling block is the price. Lyon hope to pay in the region of £6m not the £8m that is being quoted.

A deal involving Eduardo plus £10m for Lyon keeper Hugo Lloris may be the solution

its a lot of money for Hazard but id still say thats a little too perfect to be 100% true although there is probaby firm interest in all parties id imagine.

Lloris, Chamkh and Hazrd in with Eduardo out plus some sort of defensive purchase (Which would allow for more fringe players to leave) would be imo a near ideal Summer for Arsenal.

If that went ahead and we got:

IN: Lloris, Hazard, Chamakh, CB.

OUT:Almunia, Fabianski, Silvestre, Eduardo, Senderos.

would be a nice summer, I'd still prefer a more established keeper than Lloris but 10M plus Eduardo would be a great price to get him at, don't believe that price. I'd like us to keep Senderos but can't see it happening now.

GK: Lloris, Mannone, Schezzzngumoph, Promote a youth goalie; Shea?

DF: Sagna, Eboue, Vermaelen, Campbell, Gallas*, Clichy, Traore*, Gibbs, Bartley, Nordtveit, Djourou, NEW CB.

CM: Fab, Song, Diaby, Denilson, Nasri, Ramsey, Eastmond.

Wings: Rosicky, Shava, Walcott, Vela, Hazard, Nasri (plays here more)

Forwards: RVP, Bendtner, Chamakh.

* I reckon Gallas is gonne do one and Traore will probably want out too now he's 3rd choice LB.

I wouldn't trust YoungGun at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I was very surprised that Wenger didn't go for begovic in January he looked excellent for Pompey better then James in my opinion and will only get better.

• Advertisement

That Lloris story seems ridiculous. Lyon putting a £16m valuation on the golden hands of French football? Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I just watched the Le Bobby and Freddie videos and now I'm depressed. The movement was amazing between our midfield and front men. I loved those two, I even still have a little smig beard thing in memory of Bobby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

peabutler wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Davide De Gea against Pool this week, some keeper and 19. (Prob a bit too Young for Arsenal but as a Keeper myself he is some player to watch)

FM08 legend! :P

Sorry Im taking so long with my end of season round up (goalies+defenders done, midfield+strikers on the way), I got a bit depressed after the Wigan game and couldn't bring myself to coming into this thread.

Galvasean wrote: »
    FM08 legend! :P

Sorry Im taking so long with my end of season round up (goalies+defenders done, midfield+strikers on the way), I got a bit depressed after the Wigan game and couldn't bring myself to coming into this thread.

I was considering doing one myself. I'm sure next week when I'm trying to procastinate from studying for exams it will seem like the perfect time to do it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/21/lukasz-fabianski-arsenal-arsene-wenger
    Arsène Wenger is determined to give Lukasz Fabianski another run-out in the Arsenal team before the end of the season in order to rebuild his confidence in the wake of his latest high-profile blunder.

Fabianksi dropped a corner on to the head of Titus Bramble on Sunday, who headed Wigan Athletic's equaliser in their 3-2 victory, a result that effectively ended Arsenal's Premier League title hopes.

The error came on the Poland goalkeeper's 25th birthday and it brought back nightmarish memories of the day he turned 24, when a misjudgment allowed Chelsea's Didier Drogba to settle last season's FA Cup semi-final.

Wenger had recalled Fabianski to the starting line-up at Wigan as his first-choice, Manuel Almunia, had a slight wrist injury. It was the Pole's first appearance since he was at fault for both of Porto's goals in the Portuguese team's 2-1 victory in the first-leg of the Champions League last-16 tie. Fortunately for Fabianski, Arsenal won the second leg 5-0.

Wenger had promised Fabianski some matches at the end of the season – just as he played him at the end of the previous campaign – and, although he must decide whether to revert to Almunia for Saturday's visit of Manchester City, it seems certain that Fabianski has not tasted his last action of the season. Arsenal's final two matches are against Blackburn and Fulham.

Wenger has repeatedly talked up his technical abilities and, after his poor performance against Chelsea in that FA Cup semi-final last season, said that he firmly believed that "Lukasz will be one of the greatest goalkeepers in the world".

There is, however, the issue of Fabianski's mental state. "I think it would have had long-term consequences for Lukasz if we had gone out against Porto," Wenger said. "Mental consequences, because he is a conscientious guy, very intelligent but, as well, sensitive."

Wenger was asked whether Fabianski was too sensitive for the Premier League? "No," the manager replied. "You can turn sensitivity to an advantage because he can feel and see things that others don't see but, as well, when you have guilt, it can be a disadvantage confidence-wise. He is a top-class goalkeeper. I repeat that many times and you will see that one day, I am right."

Andrey Arshavin hopes to give Arsenal a boost by declaring his fitness for the City game. The Russia forward has not played since he damaged a calf in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final against Barcelona at the end of last month and there had been fears, expressed by his mother, that he would not play again this season. But Arshavin said that his rehabilitation is progressing.

"I am recovering and I hope to be back for Manchester City," he said. "This season has been tough, tight – sometimes it was even difficult for me and my team but, in general, it was not bad. We have got a lot of goals at the end of games, we managed to do some comebacks and we have to use that spirit next season. We can fight again next season."

Ugh, I'd prefer to see Mannone given a shot for the last few games...Fabianski it is so! No chance of us getting rid of him now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

So Fabianski has mental issues basically.

I'm thinking Arsenal is too high profile a club to give someone the time to sort those out on the field. They should loan him out if that's the case to a club where he will be under pressure to perform.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/right-man-for-the-job-kit-designer
    Welcome to another new series on Arsenal TV Online - The Right Man For The Job?

The No 1 job for Arsenal's players is to get it right on the pitch. But who would be most suited for the various roles and responsibilities off the pitch?

We asked the first-team squad to nominate a team-mate for a number of different jobs. In our latest episode you can find out:

Who is the right man to be the kit designer?

Has to be Eboue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fabianski has messed up every time he's been given a chance. His bumbling nearly got us knocked out of the Champions League, got us knocked out of the FA Cup, beaten by Wigan... not to mention the FA Cup last season.
    If I was Manonne I'd be seriouslty upset taht this clown was getting into the team ahead of me.

Sometimes I wish I still had a subscription but, I never used it!

Another Cygan, it took wenger 3-4 years to eventually admit he was sh1te and sell him off.

Then again with a few games left, he's hardly going to come out and call fabs a total plank, ruining what bit of confidence he has left.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement