Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

He's a good footballer when he's fit but I think his best years were under Mourinho and this carried over somewhat when Grant came in.

But since then he's been plagued with injuries and been squeezed out as a regular in their starting line up.

He clearly has a very high opinion of himself and probably thinks he should be on the same wages and Terry and Lampard! Thats not going to happen at Chelsea or any other club for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Yep I was attempting at being humorous considering plenty of posters have mentioned the wages. :o

Ha, so was I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Whatever about Diarra himself, I still think we need another player like him in midfield. A more mobile player that can defend well and compliment Song and Cesc. Although this would be after a goalkeeper (that Frey rumour sounds good to me) and a centre back (hangeland would be nice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah, that was from refreshing you page, suuuuuuure.....

Worse than flicking beans man, RSI is chronic!!! ;)

And so it begins, today we've been linked with: Frey, Adler (I mentioned I bought him in FM ;)) and Santa Cruz.

jasonorr wrote: »

What's with the media and linknig us with injury prone, mediocre players who have had one good season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's with the media and linknig us with injury prone, mediocre players who have had one good season?

cos Venger iss a FOOOOL :pac:

Dunno, it's the type of player we'd go for though especially because he'd prolly be cheap. The gossip pages did mention something about City trying to recall Hart for the rest of the season...wonder would that damage our chances of signing him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Paleface wrote: »
    He's a good footballer when he's fit but I think his best years were under Mourinho and this carried over somewhat when Grant came in.

But since then he's been plagued with injuries and been squeezed out as a regular in their starting line up.

He clearly has a very high opinion of himself and probably thinks he should be on the same wages and Terry and Lampard! Thats not going to happen at Chelsea or any other club for that matter.

Cole is more than a good footballer, and he'll be on more then both Terry and Lampard when he signs for City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Ha, so was I!

Haha I see that now....a few hours too late. studying is destroying my mind and my sense of humour. :pac:

Haha I see that now....a few hours too late. studying is destroying my mind and my sense of humour. :pac:

I'm right there with you on that one.

• Advertisement

I'm right there with you on that one.

What are ye doing lads? My final year CS exams start on Friday and I have no interest, I can't get started at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought Diarra was exactly the type of player we need (and might get because of his current Real situation). I really don't think it'd be an either/or between him and Song - more a case of Song-Diarra-Cesc with Diaby occasionally coming in for one of the first two depending on opposition.

Wenger took Campbell back after a far messier exit from the club so I think he'd do it. Hope he'll try anyway.

We still need a CB but a stronger, feistier midfield would help our defence a lot as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought Diarra was exactly the type of player we need (and might get because of his current Real situation). I really don't think it'd be an either/or between him and Song - more a case of Song-Diarra-Cesc with Diaby occasionally coming in for one of the first two depending on opposition.

Wenger took Campbell back after a far messier exit from the club so I think he'd do it. Hope he'll try anyway.

We still need a CB but a stronger, feistier midfield would help our defence a lot as well.

I'd much rather a Song Ramsey Fabregas midfield then Song Diarra Fabregas.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Sky Sports wrote:
    Arsenal star Robin van Persie does not care about former team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor after refusing to shake the Manchester City player's hand.

The pair met at Emirates Stadium on Saturday for the first time since their clash at Eastlands earlier in the season when Adebayor, who left the Gunners for City last summer, raked his studs across the face of Van Persie.
    There remains bad blood from that incident and Van Persie was forced to refute allegations that a weekend booking for a challenge on his ex-colleague was some attempt at retribution.

The Dutchman, though, was not interested in any attempt at reconciliation with Adebayor and instead insists he is choosing to concentrate on his own team.

"I've not spoken to him," said Van Persie. "I don't care about him because I'm just busy with my own team."

Of his challenge on Adebayor, the forward added: "There was nothing in it. In football you make tackles. That was one of them."

Unbelievable

Van Persie completed 90 minutes for the first time since rupturing ankle ligaments last November and he was delighted to complete a full match.

"I'm so pleased to be back. The plan was to play for 60 or 70 minutes, but everything felt good so I played on," he said.

Van Persie's injury is considered to have been a main hindrance in Arsenal's failed Premier League title challenge, with the 26-year-old rated as one of the best forwards in the world.

The former Feyenoord ace does not think he is quite on a par with the likes of Barcelona's Lionel Messi, who destroyed Arsenal in the UEFA Champions League,but he thinks that he could reach the level of the Argentine in the future.

Van Persie said in The Sun when asked if he was as good as Messi: "Those are big words, because players like Messi are unbelievable.

"It is a bit early to say. I still have to prove it, but I hope to be in that place one day.

"I think I have the qualities to do so, but you need time, you need games and you need to be fit. I just want to have a season without injuries and be happy."

I love that guy. Hopefully he gets that season with no injuries and he'll prove his undoubted class.

What are ye doing lads? My final year CS exams start on Friday and I have no interest, I can't get started at all!

My final year CS exams start on Tuesday. :(

I think a midfield of

Song
    ---Ramsey---Cesc---

would be great for the majority of our games where as a midfield of

Song
    ---Diarra----Cesc----

would be great for games against the bigger teams and European away days etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There where rumours about Diarra coming back to join up with Redknapp again although this is probably 2+2=8 stuff

Good luck with that! Hope you at least like the course...unlike me :D Doing it in Galway with a load of Maths and not enough Computing...no motivation at all!

Good luck with that! Hope you at least like the course...unlike me :D Doing it in Galway with a load of Maths and not enough Computing...no motivation at all!

Nope, absolutely despise it too! :pac:

My final year CS exams start on Tuesday. :([\QUOTE]

Is that the it course at nui?

Is that the it course at nui?

It is, why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

There where rumours about Diarra coming back to join up with Redknapp again although this is probably 2+2=8 stuff

Diarra seems to have very high opinions of himself (indeed his welcome press conference when signing for Pompey turned into him practically putting in a transfer request), and this would not happen unless champions league football were involved.

Personally, I think he is overrated. If a defensive midfielder at Real is proof of his superior ability, what does that make Thomas Gravesen?

It is, why?

I'm in 3rd it now on placement just curious

I'm in 3rd it now on placement just curious

Placement??? No placement in the course I'm doing...unfortunately! What's your course title?

Placement??? No placement in the course I'm doing...unfortunately! What's your course title?

Information technology course code for cap was gy350

Information technology course code for cap was gy350

Ah right, I'm doing Computer Studies & Maths Science, well I was until I switched to General Science this year and just took the Computing options...still too much Maths and not enough Computing. I think there's a bit of crossover between our courses though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ah right, I'm doing Computer Studies & Maths Science, well I was until I switched to General Science this year and just took the Computing options...still too much Maths and not enough Computing. I think there's a bit of crossover between our courses though!

Computers are all maths ya dongles... 6c696b6520746869732c206c6f6c

Seriously, though I did IT in NUIG through Arts and my biggest complaint about the whole course was we did no math whatsoever... if you want to do any of the fancy stuff down the line it's all math, so learn it well!

Try being in third year Engineering! I don't actually mind the maths so much but my god the amount of formulae and **** we're expected to know for these exams.

Anyway yeah, so basically what we're looking for is a bit more variety in midfield. And throughout the whole team really, though Chamakh should be a decent start.

Computers are all maths ya dongles... 6c696b6520746869732c206c6f6c

Seriously, though I did IT in NUIG through Arts and my biggest complaint about the whole course was we did no math whatsoever... if you want to do any of the fancy stuff down the line it's all math, so learn it well!
    playa3 wrote: »
    Try being in third year Engineering! I don't actually mind the maths so much but my god the amount of formulae and **** we're expected to know for these exams.

I like Maths (would probably be well able for the engineering Maths to be honest), just fed up of it at this stage and it's the theoretical Maths I have a problem with...I don't see the relevance at all!

I like Maths (would probably be well able for the engineering Maths to be honest), just fed up of it at this stage and it's the theoretical Maths I have a problem with...I don't see the relevance at all!

Ah yeah, I didn't see the maths science bit earlier on. That's exactly the sorta stuff I don't like, proofs and that kind of thing I tend to just try and avoid:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Arsenal forward Andrey Arshavin has admitted he would relish the opportunity to play for Barcelona.

The Russia international playmaker came close to joining the Catalan giants from Zenit St Petersburg in July 2008, before moving to Emirates Stadium the following January.

Arshavin limped out of the first leg of Arsenal's 6-3 aggregate defeat by Barca in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals at the end of March after suffering a calf injury from which he is still to recover.

He believes the opportunity to join Pep Guardiola's defending European champions would be too good to turn down, even though they wrecked the Gunners' dreams of continental glory.

"Even playing just one season for Barcelona would make a pinnacle of my whole career," Arshavin told Sport-Express newspaper.
    Genius

"Barca are the best team in the world and I enjoy their style of play so much. But after watching them against Arsenal the enjoyment has quickly turned into sorrow.

"They are so much better than anybody else at the moment."

Barca are facing a fight to defend their trophy, having suffered a 3-1 defeat away to Inter Milan in the first leg of their semi-final, a result which Arshavin believes was down to the Italian giants' manager.

He said: "It's all (Jose) Mourinho's magic. He is a genius.

"I think there are three coaches who are the best in the world - (England manager) Fabio Capello, Jose Mourinho and (former Russia manager) Guus Hiddink. If I would pick a coach for the Russian national team, I'd want one of them to be our boss.

"(Arsenal manager) Arsene Wenger is also a good coach but not for Russia."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6119295,00.html

If I was Arsenal, I'd let him go in a heartbeat for a decent price. He's only been average this season and he doesn't work **** all for the team. And by the sounds of it, he's been angling for a move for the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

BComm second year.....though to be honest the Marginal Rate of Substitution isn't as appealing as discussing the merits of not getting Diarra and hopefully getting a GK.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6119295,00.html

If I was Arsenal, I'd let him go in a heartbeat for a decent price. He's only been average this season and he doesn't work **** all for the team. And by the sounds of it, he's been angling for a move for the last few months.

I have never taken to him.

BComm second year.....though to be honest the Marginal Rate of Substitution isn't as appealing as discussing the merits of not getting Diarra and hopefully getting a GK.... :)

in third year, do comparative economic thought... you can compare Wenger's footballing philosophy to the heterodox schools. :D

Re: Arshavin.

I dunno about him at all. He IS a class player, but there seems to be a lethargy that perpetuates through the team (as a whole). I leave Fabregas, Clichy, Eboue and Ramsey out of that massive generalisation. I would include RVP as he's never bloody fit.

I can kind of understand where Arshavin is coming from though. Imagine leading the line at, what is he, five foot six? Against players that are not as skilful as you, but that would have a good 6-8 inches on you? It would be enough to get me down! That must have been tough for him. Hopefully the buying of Chamach will sort that issue out.

And anyway, can't see Barca buying him.

in third year, do comparative economic thought... you can compare Wenger's footballing philosophy to the heterodox schools. :D

My lecturer for Datastructures last year was a huge West Ham fan.

So in my exam every time I was asked for an example of a List or a Stack I populated it with names of West Ham players.

Seemed to work as I got a B and I was awful at that module.

• Advertisement

I graduated from a CS course 5 years ago and I can honestly say the Maths we did in it was not interesting at all. A lot of it was just number crunching that as far as I can see was just to teach you how to be methodical, accurate and most importantly logical in your thinking.

Just get through it and once the exam is over forget about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Re: Arshavin

I dont know i thought is his first 6 months he was impressive, so people kind of ignored the fact he was mouthing off.

But this season his performances dropped, so now his constant whinging is just getting annoying. If he doesnt want to be at arsenal maybe should just let him go, he doesnt seem to be playing like his hearts in it really. Shame because he certainly has the talent to be an outstanding player.

Re: Arshavin

I dont know i thought is his first 6 months he was impressive, so people kind of ignored the fact he was mouthing off.

But this season his performances dropped, so now his constant whinging is just getting annoying. If he doesnt want to be at arsenal maybe should just let him go, he doesnt seem to be playing like his hearts in it really. Shame because he certainly has the talent to be an outstanding player.

You see this is what bugs me about footballers in general. The guy is 29. Getting paid very well by all accounts. Playing for a team whose style of play suits him.

You'd think he be busting a gut to try and win something to cement his place as a top footballer.

But no. That's asking too much. Far away hills are greener....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Not a fan of Arse selling their best players but Arshavin's been living on that 4 goal display at Anfield for the past year. If he wasn't a big name and didn't come for a big (well big for Arsenal) fee then people would be criticising his performances a hell of a lot more than they have been. He's been average at best for the whole season. His recent comments don't help either. I wouldn't shed a tear if Barca came in with a big offer for him and he left.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I'm hoping Arshavin leaves. He adds nothing to the team, especially over this season. Doesn't work, doesn't even try half the time. He's ignorant and arrogant and doesn't deserve to play for us. Arshavin out and let someone who deserves to play and wants to play.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Agree with whats been posted so far about him, if we got what we paid for him back he could go in the morning as far as I'm concerned. He seems to be one of those players whos attitude is just... "so what". He was awesome for the first 5 months we had him, he's had a handfull of great games since then but it seems more and more like he's disinterested.

Let him go, let him go the way of Hleb, Diarra, Flamini... hell I could be here all day listing players that when they left Arsenal they were nothing.

10-12 million would be nice money to play around with for a new winger, especially Wenger, we could buy the next Henry :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Are we all students in here?!

Who have we left, Fulham and ??

cson wrote: »
    Are we all students in here?!

Who have we left, Fulham and ??

Fat Sam's lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The barca thing is'nt new, he's been going on about it since day one. Don't think anything of it, you try to get the truth from alot of the players in the squad and they'd like to be at barca\madrid\milan etc. Getting rid of him would be a mistake, those 5 months last year he'd RVP\Adebayor playing with, their link up play is much better than ed's or bendy's. Plus he was up front by himself for a while.

Anyways Mancini looking to get rid of Ade(good luck with those silly wages) and ireland. I reckon Ireland would be worth a go, great workrate and no international injuries.

Thank god we're playing Walrus man's team towards the end, the last thing we need is more injuries with more than 2 games to go.

BOOM!!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-talking-to-definite-transfer-targets-

Lets hope these targets are the kind of players everyone knows we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Actually I'm also a computer science student, albeit probably a few years older than the undergrads in here. I've seen somebody walking around the UCD computer science building with an Arsenal jersey with Vela on the back. Can't be too many of them around, I'm guessing that was Frisbee.

Paleface wrote: »
    Lets hope these targets are the kind of players everyone knows we need.

Messi, Essein and Pique so I've heard...
    I've seen somebody walking around the UCD computer science building with an Arsenal jersey with Vela on the back. Can't be too many of them around, I'm guessing that was Frisbee.

Yup, that's me :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Damn young'uns

Damn young'uns

Aren't you like, 14?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... and a half.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement