Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

... and a half.

How big of a half?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

This is freaky I did computer science aswell but graduated 4 yrs ago
    On the transfer targets thing AW is right about getting players before the WC we don't want players being over hyped and prices inflating because of a couple of good matches. Frey, Chamakh and a CB are hopefully what will be coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Actually I'm also a computer science student, albeit probably a few years older than the undergrads in here. I've seen somebody walking around the UCD computer science building with an Arsenal jersey with Vela on the back. Can't be too many of them around, I'm guessing that was Frisbee.

Maybe not older than me, I did CA in DCU for a couple of years and dropped out (really wish I finished it now, great course!), worked for a few years before starting this course and in final year now.

Just as a matter of interest, those of you that have done ye're final year projects in CS, what did ye do? I wrote a webcrawler that searched through the college website (or webshite as I said in my presentation) to find the connectivity of the website and found things such as the maximum path length from any one page to another. /nerdiness

The only thing about signing players before the tournament is the chance that they'll come back injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I never actually did an bachelor's degree. Did a graduate diploma and then a Masters. Doing a research project this summer, going to be doing the groundwork to get a robot football team together for this.

Frisbee's West Ham supporting lecturer is my supervisor. I need to come up with a decent team name, something Arsenal related of course.

jasonorr wrote: »
    The only thing about signing players before the tournament is the chance that they'll come back injured!

No worries of that with Chamakh at least :D
    Frisbee's West Ham supporting lecturer is my supervisor. I need to come up with a decent team name, something Arsenal related of course.

Rem yeah?
    Probably my favourite lecturer I've had in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Since most people are of the opinion that we have signed Marouane Chamakh, I have been taking a look at the figures. I have compared him to Bendtner as Chamakh would jump to second choice striker.
    Nicklas Bendtner - Age 22
    Season - Apps - Goals
    2005-06 - 3 - 0
    2006-07 - 48 - 13
    2007-08 - 40 - 9
    2008-09 - 50 - 15
    2009-10 - 28 - 12
    Average per Season - 33.8 - 9.80
    Average per game - 0.29
    Marouane Chamakh - Age 26
    Season - Apps - Goals
    2002-03 - 14 - 1
    2003-04 - 33 - 10
    2004-05 - 36 - 11
    2005-06 - 31 - 7
    2006-07 - 42 - 7
    2007-08 - 44 - 10
    2008-09 - 47 - 18
    2009-10 - 44 - 16
    Average per Season - 36.38 - 10.00
    Average per game - 0.27

Edit: This figures are Club level only, I did not include international apps and goals.

Now from my calculations, average goals per game ratio are not miles apart, 0.27 (Chamakh) to 0.29 (Bendtner).
    Now to me this would indicate that there is not a huge amount of difference between the two apart from age and experience. And Bendtner has time on his side.

To me Chamakh is not the additional striker that we need. Should we not be looking for someone more in the Van Persie (from the start of this season) mould.

What are peoples opinions?

I need to come up with a decent team name, something Arsenal related of course.

How about the Gonners??? Never gonna beat the the Chinese man!!!
    Diddy Kong wrote: »

You're being overly simplistic to be honest, from watching Chamakh he seems to be more of a ball player than Bendtner while at the same time being able to score goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Now from my calculations, average goals per game ratio are not miles apart, 0.27 (Chamakh) to 0.29 (Bendtner).
    Now to me this would indicate that there is not a huge amount of difference between the two apart from age and experience. And Bendtner has time on his side.

To me Chamakh is not the additional striker that we need. Should we not be looking for someone more in the Van Persie (from the start of this season) mould.

I've been banging the same drum since January. However, I'd much rather Chamakh than Eduardo so I've softened a bit towards his apparently imminent arrival.

How about the Gonners??? Never gonna beat the the Chinese man!!!

Yeah my goal is just to get a team that works, not one that is actually capable of beating anyone. So far the only name I've come up with is... The Wengerbots.

• Advertisement

Yeah my goal is just to get a team that works, not one that is actually capable of beating anyone. So far the only name I've come up with is... The Wengerbots.

11 Pascal Cygans!

Eduardo yes, but everyone's view seems to say he will be second choice. Fair enough about Bendtner not being the best ball player, but he is only 22 and can get better with experience.

A strikers main role is to score goals and to be honest I think taking the overly simplistic approach is the best one. We need goals, if he is going to be a better ball player he still needs to score goals, Arsenal have too many ball players at the moment, we need a striker who can bang in 30 goals a season.

A strikers main role is to score goals and to be honest I think taking the overly simplistic approach is the best one. We need goals, if he is going to be a better ball player he still needs to score goals, Arsenal have too many ball players at the moment, we need a striker who can bang in 30 goals a season.

If you insist on being simplistic...whatever he scores at Bordeaux, he'll score more at Arsenal because he'll have far more opportunities to do so! Adebayor didn't have the most amazing goalscoring record in France but, we got 30 goals out of him! If Chamakh comes in, give him a chance...with our injuries, chances are this debate about who he plays ahead of will be irrelevant!

Sounds good all the same, will it involve AI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

of course we should take chamakh, he's free. but i don't think he's what we need, a proven goalscorer, a poacher, someone who loves the six yard box. what we all though eduardo was gonna be, but wasn't. villa(dont see it happening although wenger made a move in jan for him) would be perfect. but i do have faith in big nick (not as much as he does) but he need to stay in the box more. ive saw him on the edge of the box while a cross came in too many times this season, although maybe that will change with rvp up there too.

RVP will be our first choice striker.

Then I'd imagine Bendtner and Chamakh will both be fairly close to being second choice. Both of them can also play on the wing.

Plus when the inevitable RVP injury happens next season we'll be happy to have them both.

• Advertisement

Eduardo yes, but everyone's view seems to say he will be second choice. Fair enough about Bendtner not being the best ball player, but he is only 22 and can get better with experience.

They are pretty similar in my view. The biggest difference is that Chamakh has got a bit more pace, that's why he seems better on the ball. From what I've been reading though Bendtner is more like to shoot, which is a good thing seemingly, Chamakh is supposed to be quite wasteful in front of goal, passing when he should shoot and that type of jazz, which we already do too much of. Btw though, Bendtner's scoring record when he plays as a striker is something close to 1 in 2. A lot of those appearances from previous seasons came on the wing so you're actually not comparing like for like.

But the things that concern me most about Chamakh is that France isn't a great league for defences. The football is nice and technical, but their best defenders would struggle to make the starting 11 of a top half Prem team imo. I could be mistaken, but I'm also of the belief it's more open, meaning their are more goal chances in a match. Nevertheless, it's a big change playing in England. Actually, now that I think about it, Elmander was a similarish player to Chamakh when he was playing in France, similar goal scoring record too... lol. Anyway, if he does join, I hope I'm well wrong, but I will remain skeptical.

Chamakh is supposed to be quite wasteful in front of goal, passing when he should shoot and that type of jazz,

Made for us then so.

Unfortunately

Don't get me wrong, I am all for giving him a chance (if he does join) but was just trying to get a feel for what we should expect. We need a striker that actually wants to shoot and score. All the best strikers we had over the years always had an eye for goal and made room for themselves to shoot.

Ball players are all well and good, but in the end, goals count and for the amount of chances we actually create we need someone who pops them in.

I know I was not comparing like for like, but as the French leagues (as leninbenjamin points out) is not one of the top European leagues, you expect the strikers to score more goals. I would have thought a striker with a more prolific scoring record would be a better choice?

Someone in the Samuel Eto'o mould.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for giving him a chance (if he does join) but was just trying to get a feel for what we should expect. We need a striker that actually wants to shoot and score. All the best strikers we had over the years always had an eye for goal and made room for themselves to shoot.

Ball players are all well and good, but in the end, goals count and for the amount of chances we actually create we need someone who pops them in.

I know I was not comparing like for like, but as the French leagues (as leninbenjamin points out) is not one of the top European leagues, you expect the strikers to score more goals. I would have thought a striker with a more prolific scoring record would be a better choice?

Someone in the Samuel Eto'o mould.

Maybe Wenger is planning to spend money on another striker, who knows? I doubt it though! I'm sure Wenger is creaming himself over the thought of van Persie being injury free next season, which I don't see happening but, if he was he would be our main source of goals and we'd be looking to Bendtner and Chamakh to chip in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If you insist on being simplistic...whatever he scores at Bordeaux, he'll score more at Arsenal because he'll have far more opportunities to do so! Adebayor didn't have the most amazing goalscoring record in France but, we got 30 goals out of him! If Chamakh comes in, give him a chance...with our injuries, chances are this debate about who he plays ahead of will be irrelevant!

So we can look forward to chamakh getting a big head after his 2nd season and try pimp himself out to every club that summer, does'nt go and has a lacklustre 3rd season and gets bought for crazy money after Bolton get taken over by football crazy oil shiekhs?

• Advertisement

So we can look forward to chamakh getting a big head after his 2nd season and try pimp himself out to every club that summer, does'nt go and has a lacklustre 3rd season and gets bought for crazy money after Bolton get taken over by football crazy oil shiekhs?

Wouldn't bother me if that happened at all, show me the money!!!

He'll also bring some awesome dancing to the celebrations.

He'll probably end up butting Willshere as well during a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

He'll probably end up butting Willshere as well during a match.

Speaking of Wilshere, do people think he's ready for the first team after his loan spell at Bolton?

Paleface wrote: »
    Speaking of Wilshere, do people think he's ready for the first team after his loan spell at Bolton?

I generally don't watch Bolton games so all I can base it on is his MotD highlights.

I'd imagine the reason Wenger sent him on loan to a Premiership team this year is to get a bit of experience and I'd say Wenger intends to blood him in much the same way he planned with Ramsey this year. About 15-20 appearances in all competitions.

Paleface wrote: »

I dunno to be honest, maybe we should loan him out for another season? It really depends on how much game time he's likely to get if he comes back!

What's Wilshere's best position anyway? Where would he fit into the current formation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Right, a question for everyone - provided they are replaced, who would you like to see leave this summer?

I'm going Arshavin, Vela, Eduardo, Rosicky, Silvestre, Almunia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

What's Wilshere's best position anyway? Where would he fit into the current formation?

Id say his best position would be centre mid, or maybe not so sure now but playing of a cf.

whether or not hes ready im not to sure havent really sen much of bolton play since he went on loan. Maybe send him out on loan with the option to recall if injurys arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gosplan wrote: »
    Right, a question for everyone - provided they are replaced, who would you like to see leave this summer?

Id keep arshavin for another season see what he can do he certainly has the talent.

Id also keep vela he hasnt been given much of a chance i think he capable of being a great player.

Gone out: eduardo, rosicky, silvestre, traore, almunia,merida.

• Advertisement

I think I kind of answered that here, no point repeating myself!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wilshere's best position is as an attacking CM or as a number 10, but he's handy on either flank.

We've got plenty of competition for places in that area so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he went on loan again next year, but he's doing very well at Bolton and Wenger's comments suggest he'll be in the squad next season. It depends on the formation we go with too; I wouldn't be surprised to see us line up with a 4-4-2 again with Chamakh in the ranks.

I'm excited about the Moroccan coming. More than anything it's his work rate that I'm enthused about. We need to get back to defending high up the pitch (which we haven't really done since Flamini left) and he's the perfect player to help us do that.

Was talking to a bolton supporting mate, said willshere's been good but the flanks don't suit him, would be better in a 3 man central midfield. Also added he's very lightwieght and easilly knocked\shouldered off the ball. 2nd bit sounds like walcott, a blade of grass could knock him over. Have high hopes over willshere but not going to get them too high, too many disaapointing experiences, Barret, penant, stokes, hoyte, vernazza etc.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Really looking forward to Chamakh. Some people say he's the best player in the French league, don't know about that but he's good enough for me. Him and RvP could forge a good partnership assuming Robin can stay fit.

Should be an exciting summer with a few comings and goings but i reckon we'll have a good chance next year if Wenger can sort out the flaws in the team, of which there are many.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

I'd like to see Fabianski, Silvestre and Vela replaced. Wouldn't like to see Arshavin go and maybe keep big Al as a sub keeper. Or get rid of him and have Szczesny as our sub goalie.

Teams confirmed for the Emirates Cup.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/teams-confirmed-for-emirates-cup-2010

Maybe Hugo Lloris first game could be against is old team!

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Maybe Hugo Lloris first game could be against is old team!

From what I've seen lately, I'd be surprised if we signed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

From what I've seen lately, I'd be surprised if we signed him.

True. He didn't set the world alight in the Bayern Munich games anyway.

True. He didn't set the world alight in the Bayern Munich games anyway.

That and we definitely won't be getting value for money if we sign him, just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

For people saying we don't need Chamakh cause we have Bendtner and RvP already, did ye miss that portion of the season where we had Eduardo/Arshavin leading the line while the other two were injured?

And while they share similar scoring records, Chamakh by most accounts adds more in the build up and pressuring defences side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

West Ham supporter? Call your team "3 from the top and 4 from the bottom please Rachel"

If it's not too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I watched a bit of that gosplan and what struck me was how **** the defending was! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Whatever happened Vela anyway, been watching him in the reserves for years and in the Carling Cup games and he always struck me as a serious player for the future. Then in the few games he played with the first team he just seemed rubbish... Id like to see him stick around for another while but with Chamakh and RVP and Bendy we should be ok next year.

On the Lloris thing. No. Just no. There isn't much in the difference between him and Al (the human traffic cone) imo. We were being linked with Frey yesterday and imo a much much better option.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2010/04/27/1897310/report-arsenal-emerge-as-favorites-to-sign-fiorentina-leeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

For the people saying that Almunia and Fabianski should both go, who do you think should be our number 2? At 32, I'm not sure how much we'd even get for Almunia so I'd probably retain him. Though how much we'd get for Fabianski is anyone's guess :rolleyes:

Rob Green, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    For the people saying that Almunia and Fabianski should both go, who do you think should be our number 2? At 32, I'm not sure how much we'd even get for Almunia so I'd probably retain him. Though how much we'd get for Fabianski is anyone's guess :rolleyes:

Rob Green, anyone?

Number 2 = Mannone. Better prospect than Fabianski.

I've been championing the cause of Green for a while now. Think he'd do well for us. Certainly better than Almunia anyway.

Planning on heading over this year, kinda pissed Celtic are one of the teams though.
    FearDark wrote: »
    Whatever happened Vela anyway, been watching him in the reserves for years and in the Carling Cup games and he always struck me as a serious player for the future. Then in the few games he played with the first team he just seemed rubbish... Id like to see him stick around for another while but with Chamakh and RVP and Bendy we should be ok next year.

Vela is much much more suited to a 4-4-2, he needs someone up there beside him.

cson wrote: »
    I watched a bit of that gosplan and what struck me was how **** the defending was! :p

A small but crucial component of any youtube soccer montage ;)

Frisbee wrote: »
    Planning on heading over this year, kinda pissed Celtic are one of the teams though.

Funny that we're actually playing Celtic and not Lyon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Vela's definitely better in a 4-4-2 (and completely lost in a 4-3-3, as is Eduardo). What shape would people want next year?

I still think the 4-3-3 probably suits a lot of our players better but we need to defend better to make it work - and by that I mean, front men, the centre mids (Diaby and Denilson have both given away goals through laziness this year, while I think Song's positioning needs to be looked at) and full backs (sometimes, milling forward to cross against the first man and be caught by a long punt down the centre of our defence just isn't worth it!).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement