Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

For whoever said, Arshavin's a bit weird...
    gun__1272530657_arshavin_camping.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yahoo_moe wrote: »

He doesn't even look one bit out of place!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Seems like a day for facepalms so with that said...

facepalm.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tempted to head to the Emirates Cup again myself. A good bunch of lads I know are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Tempted to head to the Emirates Cup again myself. A good bunch of lads I know are going.

I have one Arsenal supporting mate and he doesn't seemed bothered about going.

Might try and get a neutral to come with me.

"Arsenal, Milan and Lyon! You'd be mad not to!"

Frisbee wrote: »
    I have one Arsenal supporting mate and he doesn't seemed bothered about going.

Might try and get a neutral to come with me.

"Arsenal, Milan and Lyon! You'd be mad not to!"

I've never been bothered about the Emirates cup either. It's expensive enough to go over, so when I do I'd prefer to go to a league game. I'd absolutely love to get to a champions league game but, being mid-week they're much more awkward!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I've never been bothered about the Emirates cup either. It's expensive enough to go over, so when I do I'd prefer to go to a league game. I'd absolutely love to get to a champions league game but, being mid-week they're much more awkward!

It's £50 for a ticket for both days afaik.

Flights are only 19euro and hostel 15 for one night.
    So it works out handy enough.

I'd find it hard to get over myself during the season as I have a match every Saturday, work almost every Sunday and train three nights week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, whos out whos in?

I can see us selling (albeit in my own magi fantasy land):

Almunia - £3 million
    Fabianski -2p
    Silvestre - £0.5 million
    Arshavin - £15 million
    Eduardo - £6 million

Bring in:

Joe Harte - £14 million
    Yaya Touré - £12 million
    Mario Balotelli - £10 million

I'd be happy with that.

It's for a ticket for both days afaik.

Flights are only 19euro and hostel 15 for one night.
    So it works out handy enough.

I'd find it hard to get over myself during the season as I have a match every Saturday, work almost every Sunday and train three nights week.

I usually bring the girlfriend so, it never works out that cheap for me!

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd be happy with that.

An outlay of £11.5m? Seems pretty low considering "we have money to spend" and if anything we need a bigger squad and we'd be losing two players there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Interesting Galva, I wonder how our team would be valued now... I'll have a bash. What I think we'd get for them;

Almunia - £2m

Clichy - £10m
    Gallas - £5m
    Vermaelen - £15m
    Sagna £10m

Song - £8m
    Nasri - £12m
    Fabregas - £40m
    Arshavin - £15m

RVP - £30m
    Bendtner - £6m

Hmmm, more later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So, whos out whos in?

Almunia - £3 million
    Fabianski -2p
    Silvestre - £0.5 million
    Arshavin - £15 million
    Eduardo - £6 million

Bring in:

Joe Harte - £14 million
    Yaya Touré - £12 million

I'd be happy with that.

Not a hope of Balotelli for £10m, £20m at least, I'd expect we'd need about £16m for Yaya

If ye reckon Almunia would only fetch 2-3m, then keep him as number 2. (Yes, I'm saying it again.)

And Gallas and Silvestre are both out of contract so we won't be getting anything for either of them.

I usually bring the girlfriend so, it never works out that cheap for me!

Thats not a bad idea if I can't get anyone else to go with me.
    cson wrote: »
    Interesting Galva, I wonder how our team would be valued now... I'll have a bash. What I think we'd get for them;

Almunia - £2m

Clichy - £10m
    Gallas - £5m
    Vermaelen - £15m
    Sagna £10m

Song - £8m
    Nasri - £12m
    Fabregas - £40m
    Arshavin - £15m

RVP - £30m
    Bendtner - £6m

Hmmm, more later.

Gallas would be worth maybe 3M at most at his age.
    Verm at 15M? Lol, not a hope, 10M still.

Song = 5M
    Fabregas = 50M+

RVP = 20M

Those are the realistic prices I'd imagine any club would pay for them. Excluding Man City or Madrid.

Almunia - £2m

Clichy - £10m
    Gallas - £5m
    Vermaelen - £15m
    Sagna £10m

Song - £8m
    Nasri - £12m
    Fabregas - £40m
    Arshavin - £15m

RVP - £30m
    Bendtner - £6m

Hmmm, more later.

So £153m for a squad that cost us £48.5m + Cole? Not bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Thats not a bad idea if I can't get anyone else to go with me.

Gallas would be worth maybe 3M at most at his age.
    Verm at 15M? Lol, not a hope, 10M still.

Song = 5M
    Fabregas = 50M+

RVP = 20M

Those are the realistic prices I'd imagine any club would pay for them. Excluding Man City or Madrid.

Guarantee you based on the good season [not without it's faults, though goals tend to disguise that] we'd easily cover that for him from the usual suspects.

So, whos out whos in?

Almunia - £3 million
    Fabianski -2p
    Silvestre - £0.5 million
    Arshavin - £15 million
    Eduardo - £6 million

Bring in:

Joe Harte - £14 million
    Yaya Touré - £12 million

I'd be happy with that.
    An outlay of £11.5m? Seems pretty low considering "we have money to spend" and if anything we need a bigger squad and we'd be losing two players there!

We've heard 'money to spend' before... I forgot to include Chamack (attack!) who is a freebie (well, a couple of million signing on fee no doubt). Since I'm throwing away one (useless) back up goalie. So okay, that's negative one player who is surplus to requirenments. I'm sure wenger will make one or two 'Wenger style' buys too. Players no one has heard of but turn out to be good on the cheap.
    Actually come to think of it I can see Vela and/or Merida leaving too.
    Djourou should be fit for teh start of next season so he can take Silvestres place as CB cover.
    Song - £8m
    Bendtner - £6m

Hmmm, more later.

I think you've undervalued them both. I think you could realisticaly expect 12 for Song and 10 for Bendtner not that I'd like to sell either).
    Guarantee you based on the good season [not without it's faults, though goals tend to disguise that] we'd easily cover that for him from the usual suspects.

I'd imagine Vermaelen would fetch £15 million or more. Quality centre backs that are available to buy are so rare these days. Plus he's still pretty young and is likely to improve significantly over the next ten years.

Not a hope of Balotelli for £10m, £20m at least, I'd expect we'd need about £16m for Yaya

Well I hear Balotelli had a row with José and wants out. We could potentially wrangle him on the cheap, maybe 15?
    I'd be willing to pay 16 for Yaya if it came to it. Song will inevitably need rest/competition/get suspended/injured from time to time. also, Gallas will be fairly old next year so we could rotate Yaya in at CB too. Word on the street is he is unhappy at barce so they may be willing to let him go.

The only people I could see spending more than 10 on Verm is City. He's not even worth ten, we overpaid for him.
    I think you've undervalued them both. I think you could realisticaly expect 12 for Song and 10 for Bendtner not that I'd like to sell either).

I'd love some of what your smoking.

12 for Song?! He's had one decent season. Not a hope.

10 for Bendtner is very very overpriced, although we could get it as strikers always go for more than their worth.

I'd imagine Vermaelen would fetch £15 million or more. Quality centre backs that are available to buy are so rare these days. Plus he's still pretty young and is likely to improve significantly over the next ten years.

Vermaelen is not yet a 'quality' centre back. He's a CB who scores loads of goals, but his defending leaves a lot to be desired much of the time.
    Making crunching tackles and going gung ho for headers doesn't make up for his poor sense of positioning and his tendencies to wander forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The only people I could see spending more than 10 on Verm is City. He's not even worth ten, we overpaid for him.

I'd love some of what your smoking.

12 for Song?! He's had one decent season. Not a hope.

10 for Bendtner is very very overpriced, although we could get it as strikers always go for more than their worth.

The likes of Elmander cost 10 million and he's certainly not as accomplished as Bendtner.

And Diarra had what half a decent season with Portsmouth before going for 20 odd million (ok it was to Real but still).

And despite his faults, Vermaelen still has a very good reputation, especially seeing as he mad the team of the season. Having said that 10-12 million is about right I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Vermaelen is not yet a 'quality' centre back. He's a CB who scores loads of goals, but his defending leaves a lot to be desired much of the time.
    Making crunching tackles and going gung ho for headers doesn't make up for his poor sense of positioning and his tendencies to wander forward.

Ugh, ZonalMarking's gospel has become entrenched... his positioning isn't that bad, he can improve, but that analysis is harsh.

Problem is mostly in the formation tbh, when Clichy and or Sagna go forward the CBs are isolated and left with too much space to cover. This means Gallas isn't able to get across to cover like he should because it will then leave far to much space between him and Sagna for the opposition to move into. Standing off the man isn't a solution either because there is simply too much space for the opposition forwards to run into. It's a bit of a lose-lose.

In all the best defences at least one CB needs to get close to the man and attack the ball. Vidic does it all the time. So Does Terry. Difference is Vidic gets a lot more support and cover from Evra and Ferdinand for the opposition to be able to exploit him. And it's not coincidence that Terry is having his worst season at a time when Carvalho is struggling for form and Cole was injured for a large portion.

So in short, we need to fix the defensive organisation. An obvious solution would be to tell Clichy and Sagna to stop going forward so much, but then we'd need to get proper wingers in to supply width. The other alternative is to get another sitter to go in along side Song so one is always in a position to drop and offer the CBs cover. The problem here is you end up two distinct blocks of defenders and forwards and sometimes the gap between the two can become too large. And the third clear option is to drop a forward and revert to 4-4-2. Or we just stay as we are but insist our forwards press more off the ball and track back better (which has its own downsides in terms of increased injury considering we already run more than other teams).

Vermaelen does wander forward and it may have cost us at times but, is everybody forgetting the amazing tackles he pulls of quite frequently? I've yet to see him outpaced too, although I may be open to correction on that, he's lightening quick! I think he should stick to getting forward for frees and corners and leave it at that!

playa3 wrote: »
    The likes of Elmander cost 10 million and he's certainly not as accomplished as Bendtner.

True, that was a stupid transfer though.
    Ugh, ZonalMarking's gospel has become entrenched... his positioning isn't that bad, he can improve, but that analysis is harsh.

I'm actually a huge fan of Zonal Marking.

I'm not just talking about his positioning when there's a man coming through.

He tends to get drawn towards the ball far to easily. That's grand when Gallas is in behind him sweeping up. But when he's not Verm still gets attracted to the ball too much imo.

Don't get me wrong I like the guy, and I have no doubt he'll be a top defender, he's only 23 and still learning his position sure, but I think he really needs a good experienced defender beside him to keep him in check.

True, that was a stupid transfer though.

Elmander was one of the best players in France in the seasons before, he was nominated for FPA Player of the Year in 2008 according to wiki.
    He tends to get drawn towards the ball far to easily. That's grand when Gallas is in behind him sweeping up. But when he's not Verm still gets attracted to the ball too much imo.

That 'getting drawn the ball' is part of his game though. He looks to put himself in the position to attack the ball before the opposition have the opportunity to play into the acres of space behind our defensive line. He will get better with experience but I just think it's harsh singling him out because the way we play puts so much more responsibilities on our defence than any other team in the league.

Elmander was one of the best players in France in the seasons before, he was nominated for FPA Player of the Year in 2008 according to wiki.

I did not know that.

But surely Bolton would have been better served strengthening the whole squad than gambling on one player.
    For a bigger club Elmander might have been an acceptable risk, but not Bolton.
    That 'getting drawn the ball' is part of his game though. He looks to put himself in the position to attack the ball before the opposition have the opportunity to play into the acres of space behind our defensive line. He will get better with experience but I just think it's harsh singling him out because the way we play puts so much more responsibilities on our defence than any other team in the league.

I'm not meaning to single him out for our defensive failings.

I just don't think he's anywhere worth 15M.

• Advertisement

I'm not meaning to single him out for our defensive failings.

Fair enough. It's just since that article appeared on ZonalMarking it seems to have become fashionable to have a go at Vermaelen in some circles... just become tired of seeing it mentioned tbh, his flaws are pretty common among CBs, it's just in a more compact system you wouldn't notice them as frequently.

The ZM analysis was a little harsh (as well as absolving our full-backs a bit too much, it ignored how much further forward Song ends up compared to a Busquets/Toure) but I've been semi-unimpressed for a while now with Vermaelen's decision-making at times.

I'm not talking about being attracted to the ball/man or any of that ZM stuff, I'm saying that he really shouldn't go pegging it up front all the time (e.g. against Stoke in the last minute, even though he scored - similar thing vs 'Pool too I think?) Needless risk.

Actually for anyone who doesn't follow Young Guns (I can see why you wouldn't), there was a good guest post in the Sunday series a while ago that dealt with the challenge a narrow 4-3-3 poses for full-backs.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Actually for anyone who doesn't follow Young Guns (I can see why you wouldn't), there was a good guest post in the Sunday series a while ago that dealt with the challenge a narrow 4-3-3 poses for full-backs.

Link

Yep that illustrates why we shouldn't be jumping down Sagna and Clichy's throats for the odd poor performance. The amount of work they have to do has increased dramatically with this formation and they are still getting used to it. You can see how a dominantly attacking WB like Alves and Maicon can thrive on it by forcing the attacks, they are covering up their defensive frailties (that said Maicon in fairness is a monster in defence as well). Sagna especially hasn't adapted as much to the attacking side of things yet but I feel its only a matter of time.

I'd say if we were to sell him we could command that much as I think you'd be hard pressed to find a CB as good as him with as much potential for cheaper. It may say something about the shockingly small number of top quality centre backs in the world today, but signing him for ten million seems a great piece of business.
    What I'm getting at is, the price of good centre backs these days is somewhat infalted to to poor supply and great demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"I believe in the squad I have and if I can make an addition to the squad - two or three maximum - then we will do it."

Wenger at his press conference yesterday. With Chamakh in the bag, those wods dont exactly fill me with confidence.

keano_afc wrote: »
    "I believe in the squad I have and if I can make an addition to the squad - two or three maximum - then we will do it."

Wenger at his press conference yesterday. With Chamakh in the bag, those wods dont exactly fill me with confidence.

Meant to post this earlier! Same sentiments for me too...seems to be Chamakh, new keeper, defender but only if Gallas leaves!

"We have money, we have money, 2 or 3 signings max...", talk about Déjà fúckíng vu!

Next season will be the exact same so! Unless we get very lucky with injuries, I can't see us winning anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well its 1 or 2 more than the past few years. I'd say our chances of hart are gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bendtner would be worth at least ten million I have been really impressed with him his link up play and his goal scoring rate is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Elmander was a very good player in France and did well at the European Championships with Sweden also(playing out of position).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

has anyone ever considered playing bendtner and vermalen up front together? seems as though they could strike a partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

There is a big difference in valuations of players depending on perspective. You think that Verm is not worth 15m and even though I agree with you, I think that if Arsenal put him up for sale tomorrow some club would definately pay 15m.
    There is still stupid money still flying around football while the world economy is collapsing. Lescott 24m, Ibra 1 zillion, G Johnson 18m etc

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    There is a big difference in valuations of players depending on perspective. You think that Verm is not worth 15m and even though I agree with you, I think that if Arsenal put him up for sale tomorrow some club would definately pay 15m.
    There is still stupid money still flying around football while the world economy is collapsing. Lescott 24m, Ibra 1 zillion, G Johnson 18m etc

True.

I think the majority of clubs would pay 8-12.

Whereas some like City or Real would pay 15+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Wenger believes that day is coming to an end.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-there-could-be-no-euro-market

True.

I think the majority of clubs would pay 8-12.

Whereas some like City or Real would pay 15+

Nah, the market value of defenders his age and his caliber is usually well above £10, maybe not quite the £15, but i think we could fully expect to recoup what we paid if we wanted to this Summer. Look at the prices being bandied about for Boateng, and Zapata for example, between the 12-15 mark it seems.

Arseblog linked to a great article this morning (some random swiss blog, link is here). Basically talks through the club accounts, the property activities and what that might yield in terms of the transfer budget. It's long, but well worth a read if you have the time. Long of the short though, there's probably around £50m free cash in the club for investment. Not all of this will go on players, so estimations of a £30m transfer budget don't seem too far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Nah, the market value of defenders his age and his caliber is usually well above £10, maybe not quite the £15, but i think we could fully expect to recoup what we paid if we wanted to this Summer. Look at the prices being bandied about for Boateng, and Zapata for example, between the 12-15 mark it seems.

£10 / £15? Bargain!

£10 / £15? Bargain!

Pedant. :p

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

conno16 wrote: »
    has anyone ever considered playing bendtner and vermalen up front together? seems as though they could strike a partnership.

Classic. :pac:

Did I see Vermaelen isn't worth 10 million? Arshavin not worth 15?

When did we timewarp back to 1998?

The economic's of football transfers is not really worth debating.

At the end of the day there will always be clubs willing to pay over the odds for players because it keeps supporters happy to see new signings and in turn generates new revenue for the club.

There is absolutely no indicator for what a player is or isn't worth.

Paleface wrote: »

Yes there is. Prices are ridiculous because of the level of public interest.

The bums on seats is actually very measureable. Look at how many people turned up to Ronaldo's unveiling vs. Benzema. Real payed ridiculously over the odds for Ronaldo's footballing worth because it raised their profile so much.

Marketing potential is the biggest determinant (that's why english Internationals are always ridiculously overpriced). Then of course success on the field can be measured by the potential payoff of additional prize money in terms of league rankings, cup success and any additional TV of advancing. And lastly is the future vale of the players registration. What's the registration as an asset worth to club 3 years down the line. Will the player get better, worse etc.

Ambramovich and The Sheiks have distorted things of course for their willingness to pay over the odds for onfield success, but for the most part transfer fees are relatively predictable. As long as public interest remains in the game there was always be a predictable element of madness to transfer fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Paleface wrote: »

Nationality, Past performaces (especially in big tournaments), Age, Current Club
    The market is strange but these are some factors that define a players worth

Yes there is. Prices are ridiculous because of the level of public interest.

The bums on seats is actually very measureable. Look at how many people turned up to Ronaldo's unveiling vs. Benzema. Real payed ridiculously over the odds for Ronaldo's footballing worth because it raised their profile so much.

Marketing potential is the biggest determinant (that's why english Internationals are always ridiculously overpriced). Then of course success on the field can be measured by the potential payoff of additional prize money in terms of league rankings, cup success and any additional TV of advancing. And lastly is the future vale of the players registration. What's the registration as an asset worth to club 3 years down the line. Will the player get better, worse etc.

Ambramovich and The Sheiks have distorted things of course for their willingness to pay over the odds for onfield success, but for the most part transfer fees are relatively predictable. As long as public interest remains in the game there was always be a predictable element of madness to transfer fees.
    Evil_Clown wrote:
    Nationality, Past performaces (especially in big tournaments), Age, Current Club
    The market is strange but these are some factors that define a players worth

I accept both of your points but at the end of the day footballers to me are a commodity just like anything else that is traded in this world.

If demand is high then the price is high and visa versa. The price of a player today is no indicator of what his price will be tomorrow if something comes in and distorts the market.

It is not really an indication of that players true ability or potential to add value to the team he is joining. There are a serious amount of unknowns.

Just while we discuss summer possibilities, don't forget the new 25-man squad rule. By my count, we played 28 players this year and would have used Djourou if he hadn't been injured all year, with a few extra in squads (JET, Henderson, maybe Coquelin). Some adjustment needed.
    Goalkeepers »
    Almunia
    Mannone
    Fabianski

Defenders »
    Vermaelen
    Song
    Gallas
    Sagna
    Clichy
    Silvestre
    Campbell
    Traore
    Eastmond
    Gibbs

Djourou

Midfielders »
    Fabregas
    Arshavin
    Diaby
    Nasri
    Denilson
    Rosicky
    Walcott
    Ramsey
    Eboue
    Merida
    Wilshere

Forwards »
    Van Persie
    Bendtner
    Eduardo
    Vela

• Advertisement

It's 25 players over the age of 21 at the beginning of the season is it not? Should be pretty comfy to fit into.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement