Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Tawfee wrote: »
    apparently, cos his kicking isn't good enough to act as a sweeper-goalie...

Well in fairness to Almunia I think his kicking is better than Given. He rarely messes his kicking up. Quite often it ends up with the opposition but at least it's at the other end of the pitch.

I remember the Jens days when even the simplest of backpasses were always a heart in mouth moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Mind you, Coquelin will break into the first team squad by the end of the season (similar to how Gibbs did last season), so the situation will improve with time.

I agree! Seen this lad a few times now and he always impresses. Great engine on him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

yea i've been hearing good things about Coquelin. It'll be good to have a player i can affectionately call "frankie" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Reserves did the biz at Birmingham just recently. Randall, Gibbs, Hoyte, Traore, Coquelin and Watt all playing. I like Watt, great talent and one for the very near future. 0-4.

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3184353/reserves/birmingham-res-v-arsenal-res?tab=report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

From what Ive seen of Coquelin, he looks the business. Fast and strong with oodles of skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I knew Wenger wouldn't buy.
    He had faith in these players 2 seasons ago not to buy, this season is even better for him in terms of experience.

Let's just hope the lads take their injury tablets.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Sky Sports News saying:

Denilson & Bendtner both sign new long term contracts!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5532435,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Frisbee wrote: »
    Why? We're covered pretty much everywhere in depth

GK: Almunia, Fabianski, Mannone, Schnesymkfgmpf

LB: Clichy, Traore, Gibbs

RB: Sagan, Eboue

CB: Gallas, Vermaelen, Djourou, Senderos, Song

DMF: Song

CM: Fabregas, Denilson, Song, Diaby, Ramsey, Rosicky, Nasri

LW: Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri, Vela

RW: Walcott, Nasri, Rosicky

CF: RVP, Bendtner, Eduardo, Vela

FYP

I realise that it's a bit of a championship manager position but it's one that Wenger has chosen to go with.

Song's been good so far but should he get injured, I don't think Denilson can shield the defence in the same manner.

However, it's nice that we're only worried about signing backup players and that it's only really in one position. :D

New long term contracts for both Bendtner and Denilson. Great news.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5532435,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Holy **** I just notice our fixtures for the end of January/beginning of feb. When does the ACN finish?
    Wednesday, 27 January 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Aston Villa v Arsenal, 19:45

Saturday, 30 January 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Arsenal v Man Utd, 15:00

Saturday, 6 February 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Chelsea v Arsenal, 15:00

Tuesday, 9 February 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Arsenal v Liverpool, 19:45

We'll only be missing Song and Eboué dor the African Nations Cup?

Anyone know if Carling Cup tickets are hard to get (without membership)? Im thinking of heading over to the WBA match

Galvasean wrote: »
    We'll only be missing Song and Eboué dor the African Nations Cup?

Anyone know if Carling Cup tickets are hard to get (without membership)? Im thinking of heading over to the WBA match

Song will be a massive loss imo considering the teams formation this season.

We will really need at least an almost fully fit mid-field and defence during this period.

I meant as in was asking if they are our only two absentees, as opposed to previously when we also lost Toure and Adebayor.

O right hence the question mark i guess!!!

Well to answer it yes just the two this year i believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Yeah Song Will Be A Real Loss :mad:
    But There's A January Transfer Window With At Least 35-40 Mil To Spend :D
    Not Gonna Happen Though.

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Yeah Song Will Be A Real Loss :mad:
    But There's A January Transfer Window With At Least 35-40 Mil To Spend :D
    Not Gonna Happen Though.

Theres no where near that kind of money at Wengers disposal!

Adebayor & Toure brought in just under £40m

Vermaelen cost £10m

Leaves us with what looks like around the £30m mark but i would be thinking that there was a fair bit of truth in the reason why Wenger was allowed to splash £15m on Arshavin was that he would have to offload Adebayor this summer which obviously happened.

So afaic thats a grand total of £15m to spend which isnt much in such an inflated market!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Theres no where near that kind of money at Wengers disposal!

Adebayor & Toure brought in just under £40m

Vermaelen cost £10m

Leaves us with what looks like around the £30m mark but i would be thinking that there was a fair bit of truth in the reason why Wenger was allowed to splash £15m on Arshavin was that he would have to offload Adebayor this summer which obviously happened.

So afaic thats a grand total of £15m to spend which isnt much in such an inflated market!
    Think we should have had more than 15 mil to spend tbh,
    there was not only 10 mil at disposal to Wenger at the start of the transfer window!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Apologies if already posted...

Has anyone seen the Arsene Wenger song on Youtube? Had me in stitches laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJ_zCHLoKU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

From what Ive seen of Coquelin, he looks the business. Fast and strong with oodles of skill.

Think Wenger gambled on him being able to fill in for Song instead of buying someone like Matuidi? The reports suggest he's a real prospect, any chance we'll start to see him in the first team squad towards the end of the season?
    playa3 wrote: »
    Holy **** I just notice our fixtures for the end of January/beginning of feb. When does the ACN finish?

ACN final is on the 31st, and it's unlikely Cameroon will be in there still, so there is a good chance Song will be back for the United game. He'll be there for Pool and Chelsea surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Meh, I still think Bendtner suffers from a lot of the same problems as last season; giving the ball away, final ball, finishing.

As for Denilson...he's ok. He's a good reliable player but he never does anything interesting. He doesn't give the ball away too much anymore but I'd like to see him make more forward runs and getting into good positions. I think Diaby is a much better player; a ball winner and he makes loads of forward runs and as we've seen recently can really get on the end of things or set players up. Not really sure what Denilson offers that Diaby doesn't (apart from the ability to not head into his own net.:D)

• Advertisement

Think Wenger gambled on him being able to fill in for Song instead of buying someone like Matuidi? The reports suggest he's a real prospect, any chance we'll start to see him in the first team squad towards the end of the season?

I'm certain he'll start against West Brom in the Carling Cup.
    Speaking of which, I hope I get tickets for that since I've got flights and accomodation booked. Do CC games generally get to general sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

APN - I think you're been a little harsh on Denilson. He got our first goal of the season, with a well taken goal against Everton. He played more games then anybody last year, and is still very young.

I'd be more optimistic of Denilson progressing into the player which he potentially could be, then Diaby, who I feel this season is his last chance. We've even seen that as he was training all Summer in anticipation for the new Season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

His father Thomas, who also acts as Bendtner's agent, claims the forward could easily have been on the move this summer, with reports suggesting Barcelona, Inter Milan and Bayern Munich were monitoring his situation.

Whatever!!!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5535093,00.html

Meanwhile on a "something to look forward to" note Senderos is back and is ready to fight for his place! (Same link)

I'm certain he'll start against West Brom in the Carling Cup.
    Speaking of which, I hope I get tickets for that since I've got flights and accomodation booked. Do CC games generally get to general sale?

From memory, I thing so yes (well early rounds anyway). I'd say in another week maybe.

hblock21 wrote: »
    From memory, I thing so yes (well early rounds anyway). I'd say in another week maybe.

General sale has been marked for the 10th. IIRC the early stages didnt quite sell out last season so I should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So it was a witchhunt.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5535065,00.html

What a farce UEFA really are.

Top teams to withdraw from UEFA has been mentioned. A distinct possibility in the not so distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

:D
    finally chelsea get their desserts from the cashley cole affair.

hopefully it wont over shadow the joke of a decision by UEFA though.clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Kirnsy wrote: »
    :D
    finally chelsea get their desserts from the cashley cole affair.

hopefully it wont over shadow the joke of a decision by UEFA though.clowns.

Why is it a joke of a decision, it couldnt be any more clear in the rules :confused:

Why is it a joke of a decision, it couldnt be any more clear in the rules :confused:

the Eduardo decision??
    the one when the ban a player for two matches with an offence that merits a yellow at most.
    then use video technology to suspend him because of a media outcry.
    then refuse to set a precedent/directive. and refuse to ban EVERY other dive that occurs in the champions league?

that is a bit of a joke no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Kirnsy wrote: »
    the Eduardo decision??
    the one when the ban a player for two matches with an offence that merits a yellow at most.
    then use video technology to suspend him because of a media outcry.
    then refuse to set a precedent/directive. and refuse to ban EVERY other dive that occurs in the champions league?

that is a bit of a joke no?

Sorry bud thought you were saying the ban on Chelsea was a joke, yes I agree that while I was pretty disgusted with the actions of Eduardo the subsequent actions of UEFA were a joke and will only create more problems for themselves, you now have a situation where potentially if you dive and are deemed to have done so by the ref you receive a yellow, but if you are competent/deceiving enough at it you will get a two match ban!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

you now have a situation where potentially if you dive and are deemed to have done so by the ref you receive a yellow, but if you are competent/deceiving enough at it you will get a two match ban!

Nah, you'll just now have a system where the media decides who gets banned and who doesn't.

Sorry bud thought you were saying the ban on Chelsea was a joke, yes I agree that while I was pretty disgusted with the actions of Eduardo the subsequent actions of UEFA were a joke and will only create more problems for themselves, you now have a situation where potentially if you dive and are deemed to have done so by the ref you receive a yellow, but if you are competent/deceiving enough at it you will get a two match ban!

no hassle. i agree eduardo lost respect from me, however i think uefa are ripping the piss.
    fair enough ban eddy for 2 matches but PLEASE if you are serious about the intention of eliminating diving and in the interest of fairness...set a precedent and follow through with it....

edit : or if the referee isn't great or his view is blocked the player is punished for the refs shortcomings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

General sale has been marked for the 10th. IIRC the early stages didnt quite sell out last season so I should be okay.
    I'd say you'll be fine - there have even been cheap ticket promotions on for some of the matches in the last couple of years to fill the place up a bit midweek. I got a ticket to last year's Wigan match for £20 or something, smack on half-way - and there were others going for £10.

Be very surprised if you didn't get a ticket.

I am enraged by Uefa's decision. I was willing to accept Eduardo's ban so long as they were willing to treat everyone else who did it the same. Now that they arent planning to follow through I am furious that my team is on the recieving end of such a ban when so many others walk free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know alot of ye were complaining about it
    Manchester United are to ask their own supporters for ways to help eradicate the "disgusting" chants that are aimed at Arsène Wenger whenever Arsenal visit Old Trafford.

Wenger was subjected to a chorus of "sit down you paedophile" during Arsenal's 2-1 defeat on Saturday and United are so embarrassed that the club's chief executive, David Gill, is to raise the matter as a lead item with a panel of influential supporters.

The club's official fans' forum is due to hold its first meeting of the season in October and Gill, who will chair the event, will "appeal for ideas as to how to curb it", according to a club spokesman.

United received a complaint from an Arsenal supporters' group after the match but are uncertain about how to tackle the problem when there are so many people taking part.

Philip Townsend, the director of communications at Old Trafford, said: "We have gone on the record – several times – about this disgusting chant. We don't condone it and have appealed to fans several times in the past – through supporters' groups, the matchday programme and MUTV, but to no avail. There are many chants that opposing fans find objectionable, and this is certainly one to which all decent supporters should object."

Wenger has been subjected to the same chants at other grounds but there is a sense at Arsenal that it is worse at Old Trafford even though Sir Alex Ferguson has also appealed to the supporters to put an end to it. He described as "ridiculous" the chants last season, saying "the police should be doing more".

Ferguson added: "They [the police] should be stepping in. But Manchester United and its supporters should also know very well the chants that have been levelled at us over the years – ie, songs about Munich [air disaster] – and understand the sensitivity that is felt by members of this club. I don't agree with it at all. There's enough to think about and admire in the game without resorting to denigrating people."

Lads, just a heads up. You can get flights to London with Ryanair for 2 cent return the nights of the AZ(nov 4th) and Standard Liege(nov 24th) home games.

I booked the flight for the Liege game myself but not sure if I'm gonna bother going over yet cause of college, sure it's only 2 cent anyway:pac:

playa3 wrote: »
    Lads, just a heads up. You can get flights to London with Ryanair for 2 cent return the nights of the AZ(nov 4th) and Standard Liege(nov 24th) home games.

I booked the flight for the Liege game myself but not sure if I'm gonna bother going over yet cause of college, sure it's only 2 cent anyway:pac:

I saw that, but decided on Birmingham on 17th Oct instead as theres a late flight back so no need to waste money on a hotel :D. Flight €40, ticket €50 + train from gatwick. So works out very nicely indeed!

I got a free* return flight from Aer Lingus on the 22nd (returning 23rd) for the WBA match. Should still be some left.

*had to pay taxes of €63

Oh, and its good to see Alex Ferguson speaking out against those 'fans' who use those horrible chants.

• Advertisement

It's comments like these that make me want to pull my hair out. :mad::(

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5537385,00.html

_46321799_ferguson466.jpg

Would love to have been there for that conversation. Platini doesn't look too interested though!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8238560.stm

DenMan wrote: »
    It's comments like these that make me want to pull my hair out. :mad::(

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5537385,00.html

Really???

I mean why do people take this kind of sh!te serious. You must be nearly bald reading these rubbish articles!

Check out this goal from Ramsey!

More bad news. Six months by the looks of things. :(

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5539672,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

With the Fabregas saga I do feel that if Arsenal have another trophyless season then he will go 2 Barcelona just the same way Henry left knowing he would probably have a much greater chance of winning silverware over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bendtner has scored a great goal against Portugal tonight. Nicley taken down on his chest and then roofed it. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

beya2009 wrote: »
    With the Fabregas saga I do feel that if Arsenal have another trophyless season then he will go 2 Barcelona just the same way Henry left knowing he would probably have a much greater chance of winning silverware over there.
    fabregas will never leave and when is the last time liverpool won something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

liam09 wrote: »
    fabregas will never leave

Come on now. Of course he will. Dont be fooled. At the end of the day it all comes down to money. I think he will leave next year. I'm sure he loves Arsenal for now but money and a better chance to win trophies on a regular basis wins out every time. Same goes for every other professional footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

DenMan wrote: »
    More bad news. Six months by the looks of things. :(

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5539672,00.html

If anything happens to Gallas or Vermaelen we are absolutely screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

keano_afc wrote: »
    If anything happens to Gallas or Vermaelen we are absolutely screwed.

No more than we'd be screwed by having Djourou on the pitch.

At a push Diaby can play CB (just so long as he doesn't head anything in the direction of his own goal).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement