Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Then why is it ok to say he cocked up against Wigan before ko today?

And it was clearly so effective...

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Some day he'll be class. Hopefully sooner rather than later, the 3rd goal shows how effective he could be from the left wing imo, Henry-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

x PyRo wrote: »
    Some day he'll be class. Hopefully sooner rather than later, the 3rd goal shows how effective he could be from the left wing imo, Henry-esque.

Hopefully, some great goals there. I think he's better suited to playing as a striker than anywhere else...at least then it becomes more a question of his finishing as with Cesc's passing ability and his pace, he's sure to get plenty of chances!

My ears are bleeding by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mars bar wrote: »
    No. 19, Niamh Fahey, ex Salthill Devon is playing with Arsenal. She had a good game today.

She played on the All Ireland winning Galway team a few years back.

Niamh Fawhee according to the Sky Sports commentator. Bless their inability to pronounce Irish surnames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

x PyRo wrote: »

Surprised they were able to get 3:20 of highlights.

If he'd half a football brain he'd be awesome. Worst thing to happen him was being born english, because they've hyped the crap out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't care how much it costs!

Ditch Al, get him.

Solves the problem for 4-5 years and gives Fab/Manone enough time to see if they're really going to be good keepers or if they're just talented enough youths.

Only problem is he'd cost a lot but if he wants to come to England I can't see anyone else going for him. City wouldn't replace Given, Chelsea have Cheh. Man U could do with him but he doesn't follow their new 'resale value' policy.

Just spend the money Arsne!! If you're saying 2-3 players then, Chamakh and Buffon would be 2. Then go out and surprise us with a great defender.

gosplan wrote: »
    Only problem is he'd cost a lot but if he wants to come to England I can't see anyone else going for him. City wouldn't replace Given, Chelsea have Cheh. Man U could do with him but he doesn't follow their new 'resale value' policy.

After they way they treated their 3 time player of the year, Richard Dunne, city would'nt think twice about dropping given,, especially for buffon.

Would love to see it happen but if anyone came in we'd be screwed, we can;t compete, van der sar is getting on a bit now, so i'd say united would be in for him in a shot.

After they way they treated their 3 time player of the year, Richard Dunne, city would'nt think twice about dropping given,, especially for buffon.QUOTE]

In fairness, Dunne wasn't playing near as well for City as he is for Villa.

Yeah, he had been a great servant to the club but he really did look past it.

I don't remember too many people disagreeing it was put forward that a defence lead by Dunne, as he was playing then, wouldn't be enough to get City to the top four.

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't care how much it costs!

Ditch Al, get him.

Solves the problem for 4-5 years and gives Fab/Manone enough time to see if they're really going to be good keepers or if they're just talented enough youths.

Just spend the money Arsne!! If you're saying 2-3 players then, Chamakh and Buffon would be 2. Then go out and surprise us with a great defender.

This would solve so many problems... please please please please please please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Niamh Fawhee according to the Sky Sports commentator. Bless their inability to pronounce Irish surnames.

Yeah it was fairly wrecking my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I wonder is Buffon really angling for a move to England or is it just talk to get himself an improved deal in Italy?

Paleface wrote: »
    I wonder is Buffon really angling for a move to England or is it just talk to get himself an improved deal in Italy?

There have been considerable noises coming out of Juve for the past few months or so over the possibility of Buffon, and even Chiellini being sold to finance and make way for others. I'd say nothing will happen until a new manager is appointed, but selling the worlds best keeper is a great way to generate cash, probably fund a move for someone like Adler/Nueur and leave enough cash left over for someone like Hazard/Suarez. I thought it was just unfounded rumours at first but now that Buffon has actually spoken up on the issue I'd say it's a real possibility.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Buffon has been getting injuries lately. If we signed him he'd probably spontaneously combust.

I'd say the former.

When Juve were relegated, he stuck with them. Then they came back up and all seemed OK again but now they've failed to qualify for the Champions League again, there isn't much money there and he's 32 so he's running out of time.

He's the most expensive keeper ever, and one of the best. He really did the honourable thing by sticking with Juve but I can see why he'd be considering a move now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Buffon has been getting injuries lately. If we signed him he'd probably spontaneously combust.

He'll fit right in so!

Minstrel27 wrote: »

just ask denis be-haan!

Oh yeah, you've mentioned this before, do they think he's over the hill then? He's still making around 30 appearances per season though, wouldn't you rather 30 games of Buffon instead of Almunia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Buffon would be awesome on so many levels...

I could certainly see City dropping Shay for Gigi though, it's exactly the kind of thing that would appeal to the owners.

Buffon would sell more shirts than Given.

Would seriously love it, not only is he a good keeper but he'd f*** Gallas and co out of it for making a mistake, which i think we're missing. Jens was great for that, our defenders were more afraid of jens than the attackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the guardian have arsenal interested in Joe hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

mars bar wrote: »
    Yeah it was fairly wrecking my head!
    The 'keeper, Emma Byrne, is Irish too...

Headshot wrote: »
    the guardian have arsenal interested in Joe hart

Unless they sign him I'll consider it as nothing more than a rumour. Arsenal have always been extremely secretive in their transfer dealings.

Unless they sign him I'll consider it as nothing more than a rumour. Arsenal have always been extremely secretive in their transfer dealings.

Arshavin and Nasri are two who dragged on for fricken' months and were well known before they signed. Chamakh could turn out to be another.

Arshavin and Nasri are two who dragged on for fricken' months and were well known before they signed. Chamakh could turn out to be another.

There are exceptions to every rule....

There are exceptions to every rule....

Not just exceptions though... go back through most of our recent transfers and they were in the media at some point prior to them going through. Sagna was linked with us months before he signed, Vermaelen too. I think our interest in Denilson was known about for a long time before he moved too.

Thing is we're linked with so many players it's hard to hear through all the noise, a lot of agents exploit the clubs refusal to talk on transfers to hype up their own players... but if you look hard enough the genuine targets are there.

• Advertisement

Here's the Hart article for anyone who's interested. It's interesting enough that they're running with it outside of their usual Rumour section and it got a column of it's own.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/04/arsenal-manchestercity
    Arsenal's long-standing interest in the Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart will prompt a formal bid once the transfer window reopens this month, with Arsène Wenger having recognised the shortcomings of both Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski at the Emirates.

City, who are resigned to being without their No1, Shay Given, for the start of next season as a result of a shoulder injury, are expected to resist any offer, leaving the 23-year-old to agitate for a move if the transfer is to become a reality. However, whether their pursuit is successful or not, Arsenal's interest does at least offer an insight into Wenger's intention to strengthen his side in the close season after enduring a fifth successive season without a trophy.

Almunia's form has been patchy all season and, while the Spaniard is technically unavailable at present with a wrist injury, Arsenal have handed Fabianski an opportunity to prove his worth for the final few games of the season for the second year in a row. Yet the Pole has failed to convince; his reputation, already damaged by costly errors against Porto in the Champions League and Wigan last month, took a further pounding after Blackburn targeted him as a potential weak linkyesterday. The hosts duly prevailed with scrappy goals from David Dunn and Christopher Samba, with Fabianski claiming fouls.

While Wenger refused to criticise Fabianski's performance at Ewood Park, preferring instead to point a finger at the performance of the referee, Martin Atkinson, for failing to offer the goalkeeper more protection, the errors underlined the need to reinforce for next season. The France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, at Lyon, has attracted interest and the experienced Juventus No1, Gianluigi Buffon, 32, suggested today that he would be willing to move to the Premier League – "England could be the destination," he said should the Italian club be willing to release him – yet Hart appears to be Arsenal's priority.

The England hopeful, voted into the Professional Footballers' Association's Premier League team of the year last week, has enjoyed an impressive campaign on loan at Birmingham City, keeping 12 clean sheets along the way, and is staking a late claim for selection to Fabio Capello's England squad as the third-choice goalkeeper for the World Cup finals.

Should Given's dislocated shoulder leave him unavailable for up to five months, as feared, then Roberto Mancini is expected to offer the former Shrewsbury Town youngster a chance to impress in the first team next season and, potentially, prove his quality to retain his place ahead of the Republic of Ireland veteran.

That could yet scupper any move to Arsenal, forcing Wenger to turn his attentions elsewhere. The Frenchman has already secured the Bordeaux forward Marouane Chamakh on a free transfer for next season, but could yet lose William Gallas, most likely to Paris Saint-Germain, under freedom of contract.

The France defender, who has not played since suffering a recurrence of a calf injury in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final against Barcelona in March, is confident he will be fit for the World Cup.

"I will be ready for France," he said. "Had it not been possible [to recover in time], I would have pulled out. Right now, I feel good and ready for France."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Wouldn't mind having him in between the sticks.

Not just exceptions though... go back through most of our recent transfers and they were in the media at some point prior to them going through. Sagna was linked with us months before he signed, Vermaelen too. I think our interest in Denilson was known about for a long time before he moved too.

Thing is we're linked with so many players it's hard to hear through all the noise, a lot of agents exploit the clubs refusal to talk on transfers to hype up their own players... but if you look hard enough the genuine targets are there.

Yeah we're linked with so many players in the papers we're bound to sign one of them sooner or later, the fact that we were linked to the signing months before is probably more of a coincidence. We must have the lowest % rating of linked to versus actually bought.

Joe Hart would like it but doubt it, Buffon would be a better chance.

Yeah we're linked with so many players in the papers we're bound to sign one of them sooner or later, the fact that we were linked to the signing months before is probably more of a coincidence. We must have the lowest % rating of linked to versus actually bought.

Exactly. The papers throw so much sh*t at the wall that some of it is bound to stick.

As for the Guardian article I think its largely speculative seeing as they start mentioning Buffon aswell. I think they just wanted an article on the goalkeeping situation at Arsenal seeing as its the main point of concern for every Arsenal fan right now.

Hart would be a quality signing but I just can't see City selling him to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wenger has extended his contract till 2013.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »

Source?

I'm guessing you read the "verbal agreement" article on goal.com :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Source?

I'm guessing you read the "verbal agreement" article on goal.com :rolleyes:

It was on the radio actually, think it was newstalk. They might have said reportedly though.

Nothing on the website so pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't think he's signed anything yet, but that he's in talks to sign until 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Don't go getting my hopes up :P lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Guess who got player of the month...
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/campbell-is-ea-sports-player-of-the-month-

Under 18s hammered by Crystal Palace.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/campbell-is-ea-sports-player-of-the-month-
    Fear not though, they already won their league with games to spare.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

johncrossmirror
    #Arsenal bound Chamakh also turned down 'incredible' offer from CSKA Moscow. Remember I told u he was coming!
    about 3 hours ago via mobile web

johncrossmirror
    Chamakh confirms he's 'totally' commited to joining Arsenal after 8 'incredible' years at #Bordeaux. Says he turned down Spurs, liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I quite like johncross. V Passionate on twitter and replys to practically everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Personally I'm delighted, not for Spurs obviously, but for us and the fact Man City didnt get 4th. Obviously great news for us transfer market wise, great news for everyone really except Man City themselves. Its inevitable that they will eventually get C.L. at maybe even our expence. They could well dominate English football for years once they do get that C.L. qualification.

My Arsenal mates disagree with me, theyre disgusted Arry' and Spurs got 4th from the point of view that their our arch rivals. Personally I don't identify with this being Irish, even lived in London for a while and really enjoyed the banter with the Spurs lads. What do ye lads think, are ye happy Spurs did it? Should I be disgusted?

Much happier with Spurs getting it than City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Wenger needs to bring in some major signings now. Spurs are probably going to do some serious spending with Champions League football a reality and City will keep buying for the forseeable future and to keep up we really need a top quality keeper and a top name central defender as a bare minimum. A quality crosser of the ball wouldn't go amiss either. Come on Arsene, you know you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I agree that im not happy Spurs got it but happy Citeh didn't. Delighted for Adeboyar and his Beyonce of a club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Spurs are actually building quite a good squad and could be real challengers for the league next season. I worry for us to be honest unless we make some of the required signings in the summer.

About a month ago I was seriously considering that we would come fourth, wish I had have bet on it now as I can see Wenger putting out a shíte team on Sunday and even if Fulham rest players none of our players look up for it at all.

Hoping to see Gibbs back in the team though, ahead of Traore anyway.

Frisbee wrote: »
    About a month ago I was seriously considering that we would come fourth, wish I had have bet on it now as I can see Wenger putting out a shíte team on Sunday and even if Fulham rest players none of our players look up for it at all.

Hoping to see Gibbs back in the team though, ahead of Traore anyway.

As I said in the match thread, I'm very worried we wont get to celebrate St. Totteringham's day this year too. I'd happily take a 0-0.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Much happier with Spurs getting it than City.

Yes, now if they could finish fourth and get knocked out in the qualifying by Sparta Ballsack or someone, it would be perfect. :D

Seriously though - how many points has their rather good keeper gained them over the last couple of months?

Still think it was one of Arsne's biggest mistakes ever not buying a new no.1 in Janurary.

We must have the lowest % rating of linked to versus actually bought.
    I reckon Miguel Veloso has that one sewn up on his own!

Oh and some food for thought on 'keepers, from Martin Tyler's stats column:
    Keepers' records under the high ball
    * Friedel hasn't dropped a cross all year.
    * Jensen only dropped one of 82 crosses.
    * Hart dropped just two of 105.
    * No mention of Almunia but bottom three were Given, Reina and Robinson (none of whom are completely unexpected).
    Obviously doesn't tell the whole story in terms of decision-making, punches, etc. but shows what Hart would bring (I personally thought he left a lot of the crosses to his CBs, which would have worried me, but obviously not).

Shamelessly robbed from Arseblog, those quotes wrap it up for me, looking forward to seeing him next year:

http://www.teamtalk.com/arsenal/6134336/Chamakh-sure-of-Gunners-switch
    Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh has all but confirmed that he will be joining Arsenal in the summer.

The Morocco international has been a long-term target for the Gunners, having almost moved to Emirates Stadium last summer.

However, Chamakh is now set to arrive on a free transfer, worth a reported £50,000-a-week, once his contact with Bordeaux expires.

The 26-year-old - who has 15 goals for the French club this season - will give Arsene Wenger some much-needed back-up in attack, an area of the pitch which was stretched by Robin van Persie's five-month injury absence this term.

"I count the days, 11 short days. As time passes, it feels weird. I feel many emotions," Chamakh told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"I am delighted to join the English football atmosphere, it is something amazing.

"I love Arsenal's game. I know I will have to adapt but I know the short passing game.

"In February, I made my decision. A departure clause (in a potential new Bordeaux contract) was not logical after refusing Arsenal last summer."

Chamakh had been with Bordeaux for a decade and helped them reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

"For my last matches with Bordeaux I can feel a lot of emotion, but I am leaving for a new challenge," he added.

"At Bordeaux I was the club's child. In London, I won't be a kid anymore. I have grown, I have things to prove and I am motivated to achieve it."

The forward maintained he had rejected several other offers - including north-London rivals Tottenham - to sign for the Gunners.

"There were approaches from Liverpool, Tottenham and offers of madness from Russia which were much greater than those from England, but I was focused on playing in the Premier League," said Chamakh.

"I took a risk to stay with one year left on my contract, but I never cheated, I gave myself thoroughly"

Should Manchester City and Spurs draw tonight, then Arsenal would be guaranteed third place, and with it automatic entry in the group stages of next season's Champions League.

Nevertheless, the Arsenal manager knows he faces a challenge to strengthen the squad in key areas over the summer.

Chamakh's arrival will take care of the attack, and may even lead to the departure of Eduardo, while Nice striker Loic Remy has made no secret of his desire to join the Gunners.

The goalkeeping position has come under scrutiny in recent weeks with Lukasz Fabianski, given a run in the side following Manuel Almunia's wrist problem, a target for Blackburn.

Manchester City keeper Joe Hart - who was a boy-hood Gunners fan - could interest Wenger if he departs Eastlands in the summer, while Italian veteran Gianlugi Buffon has indicated he would be open to a switch to England were the chance to arise.

In defence, meanwhile, Wenger has yet to resolve contract issues with William Gallas, Mikael Silvestre and Sol Campbell.

The Gunners boss accepts his squad does need one or two additions to help them stay the distance in the quest for a first trophy since the 2005 FA Cup final.

Wenger, though, maintains pulling off another transfer coup like last summer's purchase of Belgian centre-half Thomas Vermaelen will be no easy task.

"It is not any more as it was 15 or 20 years ago - everybody knows everybody now," the Arsenal boss reflected.

"It is more about shrewd buying now in taking a gamble than in discovering somebody."

Wenger, meanwhile, could be ready to commit his own future to Arsenal.

The 60-year-old's current deal set to expire at the end of the 2010/2011 campaign, and, according to reports, he may agree terms on a two-year extension ahead of the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Lads, relax!!! Why all the worry about the Spuds? They are minnows and will some how manage to cock up the qualifying round of the CL.

I think we'll spank Fulham at the weekend. I think Hodgson would be mad not to rest his best players ahead of the final of the Europa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement