Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Meant to say anyone else extremely impressed with Fulop yesterday? Is he always like that? Sneaky bid???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Galvasean wrote: »
    Meant to say anyone else extremely impressed with Fulop yesterday? Is he always like that? Sneaky bid???

No woeful inconsistent and thats his problem. As far as Keepers go I like the look of Joe Hart or for 2-3 seasons Jussi Jaskelinen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Except Vela. My God I've never seen someone to fail to adapt to a new formation so spectacularly.
    NEVER getting a player's name/number on my shirt again:
    Lehmann - leaves
    Vela - turns to shyte
    Arshavin - wants out

Vela was once not shyte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Vela was once not shyte?

Scored a sublime hat trick in the Carling Cup for us a couple of years back:

Nice goal against Sevilla:

Great goal v Burnley

Not to mention this season in the CC he came off teh bench and pretty much beat West Brom single handedly. Got a standing ovation too (glad I wore my Vela 12 shirt to that game):

Vela in a nutshell: glimpses of genuis, but not achieving his potential.

cson wrote: »
    How good is Djourou though? He's been alright the times I've saw him but not a first teamer for us. Big Phil is still on the books afaik; he would have been excellent had he not been raped by Drogba/****ed up v Pool in the Champions League Qtrs. Poor guy lost the plot after that. :(

Jesus id forgotten all about Djourou! How is that Milk Carton campaign going by the way? :pac::pac:
    Blunderos never had the plot to lose it. his weaknesses were there for the real predators like drogba, torres to expose.
    The mexican superstar perhaps need a loan spell in the school of hard knocks (championship).
    Sell Diaby??? As Jim Royle would say..."MY ARSE!" Hes an absolute brilliant player. To be honest apart from getting rid of the 2 goalkeepers and maybe silvestre and senderos to make way for 2 decent centre halves, i think keep the squad as it is. I hope gallas stays but my instinct tells me if he does he will be only on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gallas is almost certainly gone at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gallas is almost certainly gone at this stage.

I'd think the same. Which is a pity as he was having a great season for us up until his injury. Although if he's not happy with a one year contract there's noting we can do. Despite his insanity I'll be sad to see the back of him.

It means a top class, established CB is a must in the summer as neither Djourou, Silvestre or Campbell are good enough to partner Verm for a whole season.

Names already mention such as Zapata I'd be happy with. Rumours are Chiellini wants out of Juve too, but can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sell Diaby??? As Jim Royle would say..."MY ARSE!" Hes an absolute brilliant player.

He's not a bad player, but he's not a good player either. Typically he'll have about 3 or 4 games a season where he runs the show, about a dozen where you can say he put in a good shift but then the other half of the time the games will just go by without him, you'd hardly wonder hew as on the pitch. Been the same pattern since we bought him, I was all for giving him a chance at the start of the season but now as we come towards the end I think its time to upgrade. In the big games he is simply too much of a risk as you never know what Diaby will show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

B
    Sell Diaby??? As Jim Royle would say..."MY ARSE!" Hes an absolute brilliant player.

On form he good but he's very inconsistent. I'd like to see him forced to compete more for his place in the team than he has been of late. He would probably also benefit from not having any defensive duties as his attacking is his strong point. He's very poor at chasing back when caught behind the play.

His main problem up to the start of this season was injuries but he played more this season than any other so if he can build on that again next season it would be a positive

I agree with you in that there is no way he'll be sold .

• Advertisement

I reckon the plan was to have Ramsey slowly phase Diaby out next season with Aaron getting more game time than Diaby, it's not gonna happen now though so Diaby will remain part of our first choice CM next year, as long as we retain the 4-3-3.

Diaby Out -> Gourcuff In would be awesome. Having said that CM is the last place we need to strengthen, GK and CB have to come first.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I reckon the plan was to have Ramsey slowly phase Diaby out next season with Aaron getting more game time than Diaby, it's not gonna happen now though so Diaby will remain part of our first choice CM next year, as long as we retain the 4-3-3.

Yes Ramsey was definitely looking likely to break into the first team at the expense of Diaby. Such a shame he got injured!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Except Vela. My God I've never seen someone to fail to adapt to a new formation so spectacularly.
    NEVER getting a player's name/number on my shirt again:
    Lehmann - leaves
    Vela - turns to shyte
    Arshavin - wants out

vela has been ruined by wenger,like most players who have came to arsenal in recent years.

nasri.
    arshavin.
    walcott.
    eduardo.

playing them on the wing when its clearly not their natural position.all its done is knocked their confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

vela has been ruined by wenger,like most players who have came to arsenal in recent years.

playing them on the wing when its clearly not their natural position.all its done is knocked their confidence.

A jesus man, you alright????

I seem to remember Cesc playing on the right wing a few times for us at the start of his career.....didnt do him much harm

A jesus man, you alright????

I seem to remember Cesc playing on the right wing a few times for us at the start of his career.....didnt do him much harm

ye im fine,all the players i listed were class before they came to arsenal,what has happend to them?

nasri.
    arshavin.
    walcott.
    eduardo.

ah come how did wenger ruin these players?
    Nasri and arshavin prob 2 of our best players. Granted neither really suited to the wing but to say they are ruined is a bit extreme.
    Eduardo suffered a horrific leg break. he done well to walk again let alone play football. hardly Wengers fault he broke his leg now is it? i agree he is our 'fox in the box' and thats where he should stay.
    Walcott simply needs to get brave and toughen up. wengers guidance can only go so far. its up to theo now. he has pace to burn and should be well able to play out wide.
    Wengers only fault is showing too much faith in some of these players.

• Advertisement

nasri and arshavin 2 of our best players??????????

are you serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I'd think the same. Which is a pity as he was having a great season for us up until his injury. Although if he's not happy with a one year contract there's noting we can do. Despite his insanity I'll be sad to see the back of him.

It means a top class, established CB is a must in the summer as neither Djourou, Silvestre or Campbell are good enough to partner Verm for a whole season.

Names already mention such as Zapata I'd be happy with. Rumours are Chiellini wants out of Juve too, but can't see it happening.

Himself and Buffon from Juve. Leave Melo there Wenger!

Gourcuff and Chamakh from Bordeaux.

Cahill and Hazard too?

I think i would literally explode if that sort of summer happened. I'd happily sell Almunia, Arshavin (for his whining) and Vela (reluctantly though) to help finance these deals....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

are you serious.

Nasri is potentially a world beater. He suffered an injury at the start of the year and hasn't had the benefit of a proper pre season (he was at the WC the year he joined). His talent shines when playing both on the wing and in the centre when surrounded by the likes of Rvp and Cesc. He hasn't been brilliant recently but then again who has.

Arshavin is one of the very best players we have for pure talent. He'd want to improve his form though next season if he's not at barca.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

are you serious.
    fella, if ye don't want them, we'll happily take them away;)

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Diaby out ? Come off it. The lad has only got started and had more than 2 months without an injury. Give him time. I'm extremely confident he'll be class in the near future, Songesque almost. Everyone wanted him out too. Long live the Abou.

• Advertisement

Another day, another bunch of players linked with Arsenal...

The Sun have a little piece saying we're interested in Villarreal GK Diego Lopez, URL="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2962685/Gunners-look-at-keeper-Lopez.html"]link[/URL. No credible sources of course, they simply say we've been sending scouts over to watch him. He has gone on record recently though saying a move to the Premier League would interest him.

Also been linked to Mamadou Niang according to some reports in France, URL="http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/05/06/1911994/liverpool-and-arsenal-interested-in-olympique-marseille-star"]link[/URL. OM value him at £14m which is a bit steep considering he's 30 years old.

And Simon Kjaer will not be moving this summer apparently, URL="http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/05/06/1911854/simon-kjaer-i-will-stay-at-palermo-if-we-make-the-champions"]link[/URL. Well, that's if Palermo can overtake Sampdoria to get CL football. I didn't even know we were linked to him tbh, competition too stiff.

before nasri came he was playing brilliantly in france,constantly beating 4 or 5 players at a time,now it seems he hasnt the confidence anymore and always plays the safe pass,we see glimpses of his potential.

why is this???i thought he was meant to improve at arsenal.

exact same with arshavin,only see glimpses of what he can do,he looks unmotivated on the pitch but i cant blame him,been asked to play as the lone striker when your 5 foot 6 isnt exactly an exciting prospect:rolleyes:

our best players are vermaelen song van persie cesc clichy and sagna(although form has dipped).

no way nasri and arshavin are our best players.

John Cross on today's arsecast for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

nasri.
    arshavin.
    walcott.
    eduardo.

You had to go and ruin the mood in this thread. :(

Anyway; who are [should] us Gunners be supporting in South Africa? I'm eyeing myself up a Cesc Spain shirt. Though I'm a bit disappointed he now has Fabregas on the back, iirc he used to have just 'Cesc' on the back?

Hoping RVP has a great world cup and not get injured. Always loved holland so following them, will track spain too.

I'll be supporting Joe Hart and Yaya Toure in hope of it happening...

I'll be supporting Joe Hart and Yaya Toure in hope of it happening...

Are Ivory Coast interested in Joe Hart now? Sven you crafty bastard!

Are Ivory Coast interested in Joe Hart now? Sven you crafty bastard!

I usually buy one WC jersey.

I'm liking the look of the Ivory Coast one this year.
    Or the Spain away.

Always support the Dutchies myself, so I'll be cheering on RVP and Gio. Still have this jersey and it comes out every tournament.
    39309290.jpg
    Never got a name on mine though, couldn't decide between Overmars and Bergkamp.

I usually buy one WC jersey.

I'm liking the look of the Ivory Coast one this year.
    Or the Spain away.

The IC home one with elephant on the shoulder is class alright [sure we'd have to support them; they turned our flag the wrong way around the poor lads :pac:]. Prolly gonna be a boring Spain home one for me. I will say; the prices aren't too bad this year either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There is only one jersey worth getting this World Cup.

10BENDENHSS1011.jpg

Is that the Danish for God?

Is that the Danish for God?

I believe it translates as 'Our Lord'

I believe it translates as 'Our Lord'

Get it right lads.

Bendtner = Deity!!

I love the way the Guardian described our interest in Lopez:
    Arsenal might buy a goalkeeper. He's called Diego López. He's Spanish. He's got sticky up spiky hair. He wears a stylish black outfit. So it's kind of as you were.

The guardian soccer and rumours page is the one site i must check every day.

The guardian soccer and rumours page is the one site i must check every day.

Beeb for news and gossip, Guardian for opinion and teh funny. Happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I just got a second hand copy of Addicted in the post, couldn't find it new anywhere :mad: Just wondering are there many other Arsenal related books worth a read? I've read Fever Pitch a couple of times, love that!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I just got a second hand copy of Addicted in the post, couldn't find it new anywhere :mad: Just wondering are there many other Arsenal related books worth a read? I've read Fever Pitch a couple of times, love that!

Addicted was alright. I liked vieira's book, especially the 2 pages he spent on calling Van Nistlerooy everything under the sun. That myles fella has a fairly decent wenger biography out, have another one by some french dude which was pretty good. Perry Groves book is meant to be good\funny.

• Advertisement

Guardian is my one stop shop for anything football related really.

Addicted was alright. I liked vieira's book, especially the 2 pages he spent on calling Van Nistlerooy everything under the sun. That myles fella has a fairly decent wenger biography out, have another one by some french dude which was pretty good. Perry Groves book is meant to be good\funny.

Forgot about Perry Groves, I think I might have gotten that in a membership pack. Might pick up the Vieira one, won't bother with Wenger's...too much left to tell yet. Anyone read Merson's one? Might get that, but there's two and I don't know which one to get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

What a bit of a dud to the end of the season and unless we get something from the Fulham game we might be pipped to third by spures. that would sicken me even more seen those guys swan it all over us.

nice to hear Wenger actually admit he might buy a few players during the summer hopefully not some young guys we never heard of maybe a few well known players cause although we are not in the same trouble as Liverpool we're still on shake ground cause we haven't got the greatest squad compared to Chelsea, Spures or Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Not too many of our players going to the world cup
    it means a rest for some top players

Clinchy isn't a first team player for france
    Will gallas be fit for the world cup?
    Sagna will play
    Fabergas is out
    Van persie is hollands main attacking player
    Diaby is a squad player
    Does Nasri get called up for the French squad?
    Eboue is a first teamer
    Walcott will be a squad player
    Benteder Danish main player

not too bad most won't play so they come back fresh as a daisy
    Utd have nearly all their main players going so do chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Fabregas will be fit for WC, at least he said so.

JPA wrote: »
    Fabregas will be fit for WC, at least he said so.

Yep, he will. Are Iniesta and Xavi fully fit? If so, Fabregas will be limited to sub appearances again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yep, he will. Are Iniesta and Xavi fully fit? If so, Fabregas will be limited to sub appearances again.

No both are injured, Iniesta hopes to be fit, Xavi is playing injured and could miss the WC.

Xavi is a major doubt, he's playing through injury at the moment for Barca I believe, there's talk he might even need surgery.

Every chance Xavi could miss it.

Which could mean Cesc ends up playing through an injury he's not 100% over yet. Which would suck.

Wenger's press conference is done it seems. Some quotes.

On Chamakh:
    "It is not officially done, but we are confident on the boy."

On Hangeland:
    "I find he is a good player, but we were never in for him."

Saw this via a link in the Pool thread.
    What d'ya know? It turns out writing "27.EBOUE" in black felt tip technically qualifies as spoiling the ballot paper. Shame.....
    Tim "I've Only Come To Vote Eboue" Stillman

:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement