Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jaysus, look at the away record this season.

Won 8, Drawn 4, lost 7.

That is fúcking awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The amount of leads we threw away was more depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

jasonorr wrote: »
    I just got a second hand copy of Addicted in the post, couldn't find it new anywhere :mad: Just wondering are there many other Arsenal related books worth a read? I've read Fever Pitch a couple of times, love that!

Arsénal : the Making of a Modern Superclub by Alex Flynn and Kevin Whitcher.

I got it for Christmas and is well worth a read. Basically it documents Arsenal on and off the pitch (in a lot of depth) from when Arsene Wenger came to the club and the impact he has had on it. Its fascinating to read about the board room battles and the way Ashburton Grove came to fruition. I Highly recommend it to any Gooner lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Anyone have any idea when the new kit is being released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's usually finalised in mid June sometime along with squad numbers afaik I generally get it for my brithday which is at the start of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

cool, I was hoping it would be out by july as that is also my birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Arsénal : the Making of a Modern Superclub by Alex Flynn and Kevin Whitcher.

I got it for Christmas and is well worth a read. Basically it documents Arsenal on and off the pitch (in a lot of depth) from when Arsene Wenger came to the club and the impact he has had on it. Its fascinating to read about the board room battles and the way Ashburton Grove came to fruition. I Highly recommend it to any Gooner lads.

Just been reading this myself and nearly finished. Great read and the way it goes into how Arsene trains the players and the facilities they use is very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tomorrow's gossip pages will have Cahill (£15m) and Balotelli (£18m) in them again.

So who's getting Bendtner on the back of next year's jersey then?

How about just

Deity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Tomorrow's gossip pages will have Cahill (£15m) and Balotelli (£18m) in them again.

Cahill worth every penny. Balotelli...he'd be another Adebayor, I feel :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone else depressed, only one more match left :( that said the last few weeks have been awful so mayb not a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Anyone else depressed, only one more match left :( that said the last few weeks have been awful so mayb not a bad thing.

I'm actually looking forward to the break. Losing all hope watching some of the current crop walk around the pitch without a care in the world.

Looking forward to seeing who we bring in, and who we let go. Wenger has to get it right this summer. No more excuses, he's said himself the money is there. And the problems in the squad are there for all to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Listen, I'm not above transfer rumours completely, but (and I know we all know this deep down) most of what we'll read is bull****. So I'm going to try and follow a basic set of rules this year...

1. Don't listen to/read anything into Arsene's quotes. I tried to do this last year too and it worked pretty nicely. Every summer we get fed an arc that starts off by sounding like what fans/media have been asking for (promises of money and scouts traipsing all over the world looking at people) which slowly rolls back to how hard it is to find quality, that players X and Y have an extra year's experience, how player Z is like a new player after injury and how Denilson's stats are awesome (which is true).

2. Numbers can be misleading - but they also tell a story. Firstly, Arsene's not in the habit of flogging a load of players and replacing them all in one window, even if you do think that's what he should do this year (I don't necessarily). He's more into stability. So I'm not going to believe anything that involves a complete overhaul. At the same time, Arsene might specify "2 or 3", which means 2 max, which might include someone like Amaury Bischoff. Similarly, 'money available' includes wages to existing and new players, so the numbers aren't always what they seem.

3. As one of the two greatest British ska bands ever would say, go 'One Step Beyond'. Don't just stick to the surface of the story - try and see why a paper would come up with a particular name. I think someone said here yesterday that we were linked with Niang, which is a perfect example. His profile was high at the end of the Championnat season, he's a big strong African forward playing in France who's not massively well known (i.e. a cliche Wenger signing) so it ticks a lot of boxes. I actually saw a story about him on the BBC site the other day and figured he might crop up in Arsenal discussion at some point. But does it make sense? With Chamakh looking 90% like a done deal, clearly not. I'll also say right now that there's no way in hell we'll sign Balotelli.

4. At all times, remember all the players we've been linked with in the last two or three years. Most will crop up again - Hangeland, etc. - but not necessarily for a fresh reason (if there was even a reason the first time around). It's the easiest story in the world to just regurgitate something. Old quotes, old story, whatever... Yes some of our signings (Eduardo, Nasri, Arshavin) were known about in advance, and I don't really buy the Arsene 'secret deal' Wenger stuff anymore, but most of them will be rubbish. Now think of the different feeling you get when the club acts a bit weird and you know they've actually started negotiating the deal? That's the one to watch out for.

5. Be hopeful. I'm not going to lose the faith - I expect at least one proper signing this year along with Chamakh, ideally a CB I'd say. A 'keeper obviously wouldn't go astray either but a summer's rest will do more for Almunia's form than it will for Campbell's muscles or Djourou's brittle growing pains so CB's my first choice. I personally would love a terrier in CM too but I'm not sure Wenger will get to #4 on his list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Rumours today ;)

Wright-Phillips & Cahill.

Ooh, I like the name change jasonorr :pac:

Ooh, I like the name change jasonorr :pac:

Cheers, requested it yesterday. I found the previous one a bit restrictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah............. I was wondering who l'Prof was...
    before nasri came he was playing brilliantly in france,constantly beating 4 or 5 players at a time,now it seems he hasnt the confidence anymore and always plays the safe pass,we see glimpses of his potential.

It's a heck of a lot easier to beat four or five French league players than Premier League ones. He did beat about four players against Porto mind you. Of course had it been Blackburn or Bolton someone would have just given him a kick and he probably wouldn't have got a penalty.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Don't know what to make of Nasri or Diaby. Obvious talent there, it only comes out once in a bluemoon though.

Shocking season from them really especially the last 6 weeks, just an embarrassment. Denilson as well not cut out for this level IMO.

I'm afraid you can carry a few of those players and let them develop, but we have about 10-13 of them in the squad...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Ah in fairness I think people are being way WAY too harsh on Nasri, or else haven't really seen enough of his this season. He has grown into one of our most important players. Granted he (and the rest of the team) haven't had a great few weeks, talk of letting go of him is borderline insane. There are so many other dead weights that should be sold before him. The team should be built around the core players of clichy, sagna, vermaelan, song, fabregas, nasri and van persie. All certain starters unless they seriously suffer dips in form.

I think most of our players form has been patchy this season. There hasn't been many constants. But we're not getting rid of everyone. People need to take a step back and realise what great talent we have.

• Advertisement

Nasri is very inconsistent but is miles ahead of Diaby.

Diaby looks great now and again. The difference is that when he's not great, he's awful. When Nasri's not great he's just ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Sútalún wrote: »
    Ah in fairness I think people are being way WAY too harsh on Nasri, or else haven't really seen enough of his this season. He has grown into one of our most important players. Granted he (and the rest of the team) haven't had a great few weeks, talk of letting go of him is borderline insane. There are so many other dead weights that should be sold before him. The team should be built around the core players of clichy, sagna, vermaelan, song, fabregas, nasri and van persie. All certain starters unless they seriously suffer dips in form.

I think most of our players form has been patchy this season. There hasn't been many constants. But we're not getting rid of everyone. People need to take a step back and realise what great talent we have.

+1

I know the 'look at our injuries' excuse becomes boring and seems like we're blaming our shortcomings on injuries, BUT we really have had an exceptional bad run of medium-long term injuries.

I have great hope for Nasri next season (who, people forget, had a very good middle sector to the season) alongside a fit Van Persie, Arshavin, Chamakh, and hopefully Cesc still. The quality is there but we're frail defensivley which, for the first time, Arsene has acknowledged. We'll definately sign a centre half (perhaps two if Gallas leaves) and hopefully a goalkeeper.

In terms of possible names, I personally wouldn't get too hung up on supposed 'big names' (although it would be nice for a change!) as another Vermaelan, Vidic, or Cech (who wern't superstars when their respective clubs signed them) would do nicely.

As for players for the exit door I think Silvestre, Senderos and Eduardo would be the ones I would not mind seeing be let go. Almunia possibly being kept for one more year as a back-up, and hopefully Gallas signs a new deal. Other possibles would include Djourou and Bendtner, depending on how much we could get for them.

Just my thoughts anyway

So who's getting Bendtner on the back of next year's jersey then?

How about just

Deity

I hear he's going to be #104 next year.

Diaby is far too inconsistent for a team like ours. When he plays well he's fantastic, but too often he plays poorly, and when he plays poorly he gives the ball away far far far too often, often in ridiculously dangerous areas because he'll be coming from relatively deep positions. It's just when he's running with the ball he doesn't seem fully aware of what goes on around him, he doesn't look to avoid danger enough, which is why I think he'll always be a hit or miss player.

Nasri can be wasteful in possession too, but its generally much higher up the field and we can carry him a bit better as a result.

Denilson hasn't been fantastic either, but all round he's been much more consistent and holds onto the ball much better, he's a good squad player to have imo. And he makes up for lack of attacking threat on the ball with his goals from set pieces and long range efforts.

In terms of the midfield Diaby is the one player I would happily trade up.

koHd wrote: »
    Cahill worth every penny. Balotelli...he'd be another Adebayor, I feel :mad:

Cahill isn't worth half 15M imo.

5M maybe would be a good valuation
    Add another 5M for being British

that's 10M and you'd still be overpaying, he's worth 6M tops for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nasri's good but he's not a one man team. He'll do a lot better when the players around him are playing at the same speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Frisbee wrote: »
    Cahill isn't worth half 15M imo.

5M maybe would be a good valuation
    Add another 5M for being British

that's 10M and you'd still be overpaying, he's worth 6M tops for me.

But he's Aussie, mate :P

cson wrote: »
    But he's Aussie, mate :P

The other Cahill, no?

Or wait, were you taking the p1ss and I didn't get it cause of the whole boards/sarcasm fail thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gosplan wrote: »
    The other Cahill, no?

Or wait, were you taking the p1ss and I didn't get it cause of the whole boards/sarcasm fail thing?

Taking the piss but I'd take Aussie Cahill over English Cahill to be honest!

You could do worse than Wright-Phillips for £5m, but I can't help thinking that what Arsenal need in that position is essentially a better version of Wright-Phillips.

• Advertisement

You could do worse than Wright-Phillips for £5m, but I can't help thinking that what Arsenal need in that position is essentially a better version of Wright-Phillips.

IMO Walcott will be a better version of SWP. If he's not good enough for City he's not good enough for us imo

I think the people who are saying we had a terrible season are overreacting and letting an abysmal run of late season form cloud their judgement. Remember, this was supposed to be the season when we lost out on our Champions League spot and began our decent into bankrupcy.
    When you look at it, we put in a surprise title challenge and while we were aways that bit below United and Chelsea the season only really went belly up when we lost half the team to injury.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think the people who are saying we had a terrible season are overreacting and letting an abysmal run of late season form cloud their judgement. Remember, this was supposed to be the season when we lost out on our Champions League spot and began our decent into bankrupcy.
    When you look at it, we put in a surprise title challenge and while we were aways that bit below United and Chelsea the season only really went belly up when we lost half the team to injury.

Don't forget that amazing 6 month report, which saw us pretty much clear our debts related to the Highbury flats!

Overall we've done OK. It hasn't been terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. Injuries have always been a factor for us because we can't deal with them as well as others might due to our lack of real strength in depth.

Overall I'd say we slightly exceeded expectations, but I'm not exactly dancing on the roof either.
    (oh yes and I will give my end of season reports on our midfielders and strikers osome day)

He's 28!??? Fook me..

I think the fact that he plays like a 16 year old is the reason for your shock.

Ian Wright must be writing into the papers as their source!

Tbh, for the most part the team has maintained the status quo, a mid 70s point finish, comfortable in reaching the champions league position without ever really challenging for the league in earnest.

I'm disappointed they weren't able to push on and achieve the 80 point mark though, they have to be hitting 80 at a stroll if they are to ever mount a serious challenge for the title.

Big question for me going into next season is the formation. 4-3-3 is putting a lot of pressure on the defence when arguably we don't have the quality of defenders sufficient for this level.

The other question is how to deal with the injuries, been misfortunate with fractures this season but the collapse in Spring to muscle strains and niggles made a return this season. I think Arshavin's quotes are significant in that even he has noticed himself more susceptible to injury since he arrived. There have to be changes of the medical/fitness regime next season, it's really holding the team back imo.

Some bizarre quotes from Yaya Touré's agent:
    "Yaya [Toure] is happy at Barcelona and will only leave for a big project at a big club", Seluk told The People.

"But in England there are sides with great prestige and that could be decisive.

"Arsene Wenger knows Yaya, and I am convinced he could be a success with Arsenal."

He's 28!??? Fook me..

Wha chu talkin about Willis?

Galvasean wrote: »

Yes, tis a sickener having gone close but not many thought Arsenal would do so well this season. If you're interested in a real bad year, ask pool fans - they've had a tough time.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Wha chu talkin about Willis?

Ah I know, he's been around for ages. Still looks about 14 though. And hasn't really progressed the way he started. I guess that's owing to the regular english hype machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Arsenal - Fabianski, Sagna, Campbell, Silvestre, Clichy, Eboue, Diaby, Walcott, Nasri, Arshavin, van Persie.

Djourou, Lansbury on bench

Fulham resting most of the big hitters as expected

St Totteringham's day is here!!!

better late than never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

St Totteringham's day is here!!!

better late than never

As late is it could possibly be.

Such a frustrating season.
    If only etc etc etc.

Vela on for 15mins to say his goodbyes.

*****waves bye bye*****

See Fabianski got a yellow for handling outside the box? What an idiot!

*****stops waving and sits back down*****

L'prof wrote: »
    See Fabianski got a yellow for handling outside the box? What an idiot!

He was lucky. He could've seen red.
    Hopefully today is his curtain call.

Talk of Craig Gordon and Rob Green today.
    I'd take either tbh, certainly over what we have anyway.

Vela! Get in.. Hope he somehow stays and gets more game time and proves the doubters wrong. Can't see it happening though. Recall him scoring at the end of the season last season too.

• Advertisement

Great finish from Vela there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement