Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Galvasean wrote: »
    Anyone watch the academy semi final? James Shea made some quality saves.

Just saw the last few mins and the pens live. I think the pen save was decent, but I didn't see the replay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I watched the second half on live and it was a decent game.

Apparently we were all over Utd in the first half but just couldn't put away our chances.

sky88 wrote: »
    i still think losing to burnley cost united the title those extra would have done it i know there was other bad results but never should have lost to them

To be honest, you could look at any game they dropped points in and say that cost them the league. Pointless dissecting it in that manner after the fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

There is only one jersey worth getting this World Cup.

10BENDENHSS1011.jpg

Just bought this with God 9 on the back...I'm gonna have to stay drunk for at least the first 10 days of the World Cup.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/van-persie-i-like-the-look-of-chamakh
    Robin Van Persie has only watched Marouane Chamakh on television - but he likes what he has seen.

The Moroccan striker has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal when his contract with Bordeaux expires this summer and Arsène Wenger admitted last week that he was "confident" a deal will be done.

Chamakh could link up with Van Persie at Emirates Stadium and the Dutch forward is excited at the prospect.

"[I know him] just from TV," said Van Persie.

"He looks good, he looks quite strong in the air, he scores lots of goals with his head and he looks quite confident on the ball.

"Hopefully it [the deal] goes through. I think it is good for all of us and that is why I am happy to see him coming here."

New bezzies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Moar fresh rumours on the morrow!

First one up is involving Sol Campbell, apparently we are in a race with St. Pauli to sign him up for another season URL="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1276783/Newly-promoted-St-Pauli-set-offer-Arsenal-defender-Sol-Campbell-year-deal.html"]link[/URL.

Even less believable is the rumour that Arsenal are "leading the race" to sign Russian keeper Akinfeev URL="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumours/2010/05/10/1918493/arsenal-lead-manchester-united-in-race-to-sign-cska-moscow"]link[/URL.

Even less believable is the rumour that Arsenal are "leading the race" to sign Russian keeper Akinfeev URL="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumours/2010/05/10/1918493/arsenal-lead-manchester-united-in-race-to-sign-cska-moscow"]link[/URL.

I loved this bit personally:
    The Russian number one has been a long-term target of Manchester United, but it was the Gunners who almost signed the highly-rated keeper in January.

The report claims that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger pulled out of the deal at the last minute, despite personal terms being agreed between the two parties.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I loved this bit personally:

Wtf??? Wenger getting cold feet or driving the price up for United? Horseshít either way!

L'prof wrote: »
    Wtf??? Wenger getting cold feet or driving the price up for United? Horseshít either way!

Second guessing his ability? Sheen has come off him a bit in recent months, few Russian analysts seem to think he makes some fairly basic mistakes. While I don't think there's anything to this, it's seems that the hype around him has slowed a little bit so a club with Arsenal's budget might have a chance of landing him where they didn't this time last year.

• Advertisement

Second guessing his ability? Sheen has come off him a bit in recent months, few Russian analysts seem to think he makes some fairly basic mistakes. While I don't think there's anything to this, it's seems that the hype around him has slowed a little bit so a club with Arsenal's budget might have a chance of landing him where they didn't this time last year.

Good observation.

More likely though is Goal.com are once again speaking through their well versed collective arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

OPENROAD wrote: »

Much better summary than on Arseblog. Have to say I found this the most interesting part of it though:
    A further question came on the coaching of our goalkeepers. One supporter present had been told by the goalkeeping coach at a Football League Championship club that Arsenal was the only top flight club where the goalkeeping coach didn’t travel regularly to away matches. He’d also been told that Arsenal was the only Premier League club that didn’t have a full-time Academy goalkeeping coach.

I'd love more info on this, I've said here before I think the coaching must have something to do with the poor performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Much better summary than on Arseblog. Have to say I found this the most interesting part of it though:

I'd love more info on this, I've said here before I think the coaching must have something to do with the poor performances.

Certainly; look at the effect Jennings has had on Heurelho Gomes up the Seven Sisters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Good observation.

More likely though is Goal.com are once again speaking through their well versed collective arse.

Sorry but makes me laugh when people say that about goal.com when they are just the 2nd hand source almost always unless the story is exclusive.
    Arsenal are leading the race to sign CSKA Moscow goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev, according to reports from Sport.co.uk.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sorry but makes me laugh when people say that about goal.com when they are just the 2nd hand source almost always unless the story is exclusive.

Which would make them a more credible source how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

What are people's opinion on the most credible source out there?

For me it has to be the BBC. They never get it wrong.

For example they have Jamie Carragher going to the Word Cup today. What's the odds he'll be going?

Paleface wrote: »
    What are people's opinion on the most credible source out there?

For me it has to be the BBC. They never get it wrong.

For example they have Jamie Carragher going to the Word Cup today. What's the odds he'll be going?

There are no credible sources anymore. The more reputable sources like the BBC and the Guardian tend to be a bit more conservative about what they run than say the likes of the Sun or the Mirror with but it doesn't mean their sources are any more reliable. The problem is players and agents use the whole gossip machine for their own advantage, along with the ever increasing blogging culture where people post absolute ****e just to raise their own profiles. And then of course papers will just "creatively" recycle old material to fill up the inches on days when nothing is happening. Judge every story on its own merits, look for the original source, direct quotes, any additional reasoning that may have merit etc. Usually a couple of google searches will give you some indication as to the credibility of the story.

There are no credible sources anymore. The more reputable sources like the BBC and the Guardian tend to be a bit more conservative about what they run than say the likes of the Sun or the Mirror with but it doesn't mean their sources are any more reliable. The problem is players and agents use the whole gossip machine for their own advantage, along with the ever increasing blogging culture where people post absolute ****e just to raise their own profiles. And then of course papers will just "creatively" recycle old material to fill up the inches on days when nothing is happening. Judge every story on its own merits, look for the original source, direct quotes, any additional reasoning that may have merit etc. Usually a couple of google searches will give you some indication as to the credibility of the story.

There has to be some credible news service. Football news aside there is a lot going on in todays world that needs to be reported credibly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Akinfeev can go on a free soon enough, i think his contract is up at end of 2011

Headshot wrote: »
    Akinfeev can go on a free soon enough, i think his contract is up at end of 2011

We need a new keeper now though, we genuinely can't afford to wait until the end of next season just because he'll be on a free...no guarantee we'd get him then anyway!

• Advertisement

Effectively that should lower his price with the danger of him just leaving on a free at the end of next season. Better to cash in on him if he is definitely determined to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

With Foster going to Brum Hart looks like he will be warming City's bench next year, now is as good time as any for a bid.
    Someone buy one of those Highbury flats for way over the odds so that Arsenal can have a decent keeper next year :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We need a new keeper now though, we genuinely can't afford to wait until the end of next season just because he'll be on a free...no guarantee we'd get him then anyway!

Idk about Akinfeev, he's dodgy with the crosses, he seems to me that he just a superb shot stopper but I think arsenal dont need another almunia who just a bit better.
    Effectively that should lower his price with the danger of him just leaving on a free at the end of next season. Better to cash in on him if he is definitely determined to move on.

exactly, he probably could buy himself out of the contract if he desires, but he grew up at CSKA and i highly doubt he'd do that

Idk about Akinfeev, he's dodgy with the crosses, he seems to me that he just a superb shot stopper but I think arsenal dont need another almunia who just a bit better.

At the moment, I don't care who we get as long as Almunia is replaced. If Akinfeev is as bad as you say, then I'm sure Wenger will move for someone else!

Every keeper is going to have some sort of weakness dealing with something.

We just need to get someone who can handle the basic stuff too, which this season neither Almunlol or Flapianski have been able to do.

Right, 3 exams in the next 3 days and then I'm free forever, so hopefully I won't be on here for a while...funny how my post count, especially in here, has shot up in the last year! Ah, procrastination...where would I be without you!

Every keeper is going to have some sort of weakness dealing with something.

We just need to get someone who can handle the basic stuff too, which this season neither Almunlol or Flapianski have been able to do.

Also someone who inspires confidence in the defence, barks orders and completely bosses the penalty area.

Right, 3 exams in the next 3 days and then I'm free forever, so hopefully I won't be on here for a while...funny how my post count, especially in here, has shot up in the last year! Ah, procrastination...where would I be without you!

+1, posting in here is always much more necessary than studying/doing assignments....

Good luck anyway man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't worry. As soon as you get a job you'll have a window open all day with boards in it. Give it a sneaky look every now and then when nobody important is looking.

Don't worry. As soon as you get a job you'll have a window open all day with boards in it. Give it a sneaky look every now and then when nobody important is looking.

You've just described three of my five weekday mornings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

So anyone here have decent italian? Italian press linking us with gigi.

http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/serie_a/juventus/2010/05/11-67456/Gigi+Buffon+sulla+via+di+Londra

Who said I want a job ;) Going travelling in a year, so just going to go back to my old job in the meantime to save for that, it probably pays more than a graduate job anyway. The only thing is, looking for a job 2 years after I finish my degree will be no fun at all!
    So anyone here have decent italian? Italian press linking us with gigi.

http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/serie_a/juventus/2010/05/11-67456/Gigi+Buffon+sulla+via+di+Londra

Yeah sure, here you go ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »

Videos of the whole meeting are now on the official site.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ivan-gazidis-ast-video-part-1

Its clear that the board are more concerned with the club being self sustaining than anything else. In order to increase the clubs spending power they will have to increase revenue.

The supporters present are desperate for silverware and Gazidis more or less admits that mistakes were made in not focusing more on the two domestic cups this season.

The board will never put the club into more debt in order to achieve success in the short term. I have to agree with this as I do not want to see the club crippled by interest payments any further.

Overall its very interesting viewing (GPS tracking all the players during the training sessions :eek:) and I'm happy that the club are making this content available to everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ballague has just said on Revista that he reckons the deal to take Fabregas from Arsenal to Barca is a done deal and will be announced before the World Cup.

Curiously though he also said that communication has not opened on it yet. So take from that what you will. I still think its unlikely.

gimmick wrote: »
    Ballague has just said on Revista that he reckons the deal to take Fabregas from Arsenal to Barca is a done deal and will be announced before the World Cup.

Curiously though he also said that communication has not opened on it yet. So take from that what you will. I still think its unlikely.

I really can't see it happening this year and would be bitterly disappointed if it did. We don't have a ready made replacement just yet and chances are, we wouldn't buy one either!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ballague is a retard anyway. Take what he says with a pinch of salt.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

BS.

Captain Fabulous won't be leaving us this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

buffons agents allegadely in london at moment discussing move to the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Also someone who inspires confidence in the defence, barks orders and completely bosses the penalty area.

Yeah that's what we really need.. Someone who has confidence in his own ability and thus inspires confidence in the defense. Unlike the two donkeys we have at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Doubt it IMO. Ramsey isn't ready yet nor is Nasri. Fab will be here next season at least.

Though it'd be fitting that his last action in an Arsenal jersey was scoring v Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

These reports in Italy are gathering legs.......i would jizz everywhere if we got Buffon. And i mean everywhere!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Jesus Buffon would be a great signing any word what figure are we talking about am guessing 10 or 11 million

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Doubt it IMO. Ramsey isn't ready yet nor is Nasri. Fab will be here next season at least.

Though it'd be fitting that his last action in an Arsenal jersey was scoring v Barca

I forgot to add that Toure will be used as a makeweight in this rumoured deal. He is an absolutely outstanding player who would benefit any team. An excellent defensive mid, and a more than capable centre half (see his performance in last years CL final - not a foot put wrong).

I forgot to add that Toure will be used as a makeweight in this rumoured deal. He is an absolutely outstanding player who would benefit any team. An excellent defensive mid, and a more than capable centre half (see his performance in last years CL final - not a foot put wrong).

It doesn't matter, unless ye were to go mad and throw us €45m as well à la Zlatan we can't sell Fabregas at this point in time!

• Advertisement

Thats well and good, but the figure being bandied is €40m + Toure. Now whether Arsenal want to or not, I think there is a good chance Fabregas will want to go.

Of course, if the Buffon rumour is true and Arsene has Cesc told of a few other targets he may well decide that he will stay.

Anyway, its all pie in the sky really.

Thats well and good, but the figure being bandied is €40m + Toure. Now whether Arsenal want to or not, I think there is a good chance Fabregas will want to go.

Of course, if the Buffon rumour is true and Arsene has Cesc told of a few other targets he may well decide that he will stay.

Anyway, its all pie in the sky really.

We'll see what happens, I can't see it this summer myself anyway though, especially if we are to finally spend some money. Wenger hinted at letting a couple of players go, but he was adamant that the team needs to stay together and Fabregas is an integral part of the team at the moment!

Yaya may well be used as a trading piece in a deal for Cesc.

But even if Yaya was with Arsenal next season, Cesc won't be with Barca, we'll be getting at least one more season out of him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Buffon rumours intensifying making me excited...

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I WILL KILL MYSELF.

If this happens.

Just out of pure excitement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement