Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Skybet were strongly linking us with Stephen Ireland today. Can't see Wenger going for a player so mental though.

Buffon? Oh yes please. :cool:

Ah, poor aul Tony :(
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6148272,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Buffon Buffon Buffon Buffon Buffon Buffon Buffon Buffon etc.

Turns out those reports were based off a mistranslation. :(
    Wenger is in fact offering a new contract to Fabianski. The key word of confusion was, 'BUFOON'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/gazidis-new-wenger-deal-will-happen-

Ivan Gazidis firmly believes Arsène Wenger is the "most capable person" to drive Arsenal forward - that is why he wants to extend the manager's 13-year tenure in North London.

Speaking to the Arsenal Supporters Trust on Monday night, the Chief Executive Officer said that a new deal "will happen" sooner or later and then went on to explain his reasoning.

"It is not a sentimental thing," said Mr Gazidis. "It is the belief that he is the right person to push us forward.

"If I thought he did not have ambition and was not the most capable person we would have a different conversation. But in terms of his contract extension it is something we very much want to get done, it will happen and will be announced at the right time."

On Sunday, Arsenal secured third place in the Premier League with a 4-0 win over Fulham. It was an improvement on last season but was not the title win that was in the offing a month early. Many have suggested that Wenger's failure to bring in new players left his side under-manned at the business end of the campaign. Mr Gazidis said the manager's actions were guided by the needs of the Club not just the team.

"The dynamic of a manager who is pushing only to spend more, more, more against a Board who are trying to keep him under control is so well established that people actually don't know what to do when you have a manager who is involved in the process, works in unison with the Board, behaves responsibly and has a view about what is good for five or 10 years - even when he might have gone by then.

"It is a very, very simple cause and effect as to what happens when clubs spend beyond their means. And to think that just cannot happen to a club like Arsenal is just wrong. It can if we are irresponsible.

"But we are fortunate to have a manager who is very closely aligned to the board and acts responsibly."

This is pretty interesting, looks like Johan is going to be our new CB signing...

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/djourou-how-i-really-suffered-knee-injury

Johan Djourou's knee injury was NOT sustained while on international duty with Switzerland.

In fact, the defender had been suffering for some time before needing to have the operation that kept him out of action before Sunday's substitute role when replacing Mikael Silvestre.

The 23-year-old made the revelation in an exclusive interview with Arsenal TV Online's 'Spotlight' programme, available on demand now.

He also told the show that manager Arsène Wenger had told him the reason he allowed Kolo Toure to join Manchester City was because it was time for Djourou to become a first-team regular.

The Swiss international featured prominently in Arsenal's pre-season campaign, starting five of the seven matches. However, the Gunners' final warm-up match - a trip to Valencia - was the last time he was seen in an Arsenal shirt.

A week before the start of the new term he was forced to have an operation on a swollen knee.

The problem had been causing Djourou concern during the pre-season but Arsenal's medical team had been keeping on top of the issue.

However, it flared up during training ahead of Switzerland's friendly game with Italy, forcing the defender to require an operation.

"To be fair I had a knee problem already," he said. "So that is why the Valencia game was my last game.

"It wasn't something that happened with the Swiss team as has been mentioned - I'd had it for a while. I had been playing with it since the end of the season before so sometimes I had my knee being swollen up after games but it wasn't that painful.

"It got to the point that it was very painful and I just couldn't do anything so I had to go in [for an operation].

"At the time I wasn't [aware how serious it was] because I thought I had swelling for no reason because I had no pain. I was wondering why so we had to do scans and things like that.

"Then, when I heard [the extent of the injury], it was a bit of a shock for me because it was something quite big and you never know what can happen with injuries like this with the knee. It is always difficult to take."

Adding to the defender's woes was the fact that this was meant to be his season to break into the first team.

Last term he made 13 Premier League starts and was hopeful of more to come this campaign. The departure of Kolo Toure to Manchester City was set to open doors for the 23-year-old to make more starts this term and Djourou has revealed that is precisely what Arsène Wenger had told him over the summer.

"I was really confident about being able to play this season," he said. "The boss said to me, 'I let Kolo go for you to play'. It is the thing you don't want to hear when you are injured but it is the truth. It is difficult to take on but I swallowed it and I will fight for my place next season, that is for sure."

The defender has been subject to months of rehabilitation in an attempt to be fit before the end of the season. He finally made a return to the Gunners' matchday squad at Blackburn on Monday but didn't feature from the bench.

So for Djourou, the nightmare is finally over.

"It is safe now," he said. "It is better than it was before, I have got no pain and it is like I have a new knee!

"When I look back now I just don't know how I did it. You can't move for at least two weeks, you have your leg in a brace for two weeks and you are just sitting at home.

"Then you can start to walk with crutches but you cannot put pressure on your knee. Then when it starts to get a bit better is when you start going in the water because then you only have a little bit of weight on your leg because you are in the water.

"Then you start to strengthen the leg and then do a lot of physio in Switzerland and here as well."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    This is pretty interesting, looks like Johan is going to be our new CB signing...

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/djourou-how-i-really-suffered-knee-injury

Indeed!
    Djourou wrote:
    The boss said to me, 'I let Kolo go for you to play'.

Regardless of whether Wenger thinks Djourou is the man or not, we need another CB, possibly two if Gallas leaves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianluigi_Buffon

bottom line of Juve section. I know its wiki but still encouraging!!

Please god!! A early signing like this and Chamakh will show Fab and the rest how serious we are!!

L'prof wrote: »
    Regardless of whether Wenger thinks Djourou is the man or not, we need another CB, possibly two if Gallas leaves!

Two CB's are certainly needed.
    But if he thinks Djourou is the man to replace Gallas I'd wager on us only seeing one, and it being a young lad.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianluigi_Buffon

bottom line of Juve section. I know its wiki but still encouraging!!

Please god!! A early signing like this and Chamakh will show Fab and the rest how serious we are!!

£2.5m for the second best keeper in the world ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Two CB's are certainly needed.
    But if he thinks Djourou is the man to replace Gallas I'd wager on us only seeing one, and it being a young lad.

He had bought Verm before he told JD he'd replace kolo. Therefore JD is still the replacement for Kolo and Vermaelen was essentially going to be rotated between JD and Gallas. But then the injury struck and yada yada...

soooo... going on this faultless logic of mine ....

Gallas out = Experienced CB in
    Silvestre out = Young CB in
    Campbell out = Bartley or Nordveit Step up.

Hopefully Campbell stays but I reckon the other two are gone...

So hopefully we'd end up with :

Vermaelen
    New CB (possibly Cahill, Chielleni etc)
    JD
    New Young CB (possibly Zapata or Bonucci etc)
    Campbell/Nordtveit etc

Of course the chances of this scenario happening are slim to none im guessing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

x PyRo wrote: »
    £2.5m for the second best keeper in the world ? :pac:

I was thinking the same thing. Was excited til i saw that price, tiz obviously rubbish.

Edit: wait,who's the best then?

gingelion wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. Was excited til i saw that price, tiz obviously rubbish.

Edit: wait,who's the best then?

Cassias(sp)? - the Spanish #1

Oh yeah. We should sign him for £2.5m then. Or maybe £3m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

gimmick wrote: »
    Ballague has just said on Revista that he reckons the deal to take Fabregas from Arsenal to Barca is a done deal and will be announced before the World Cup.

Curiously though he also said that communication has not opened on it yet. So take from that what you will. I still think its unlikely.

he will come out next week and say there is no chance of cesc going to barca this summer, then at the end of the summer claim to be right either way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2010/05/11/1919407/report-juventus-goalkeeper-gianluigi-buffon-set-for-arsenal
    Report: Juventus Goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon Set For Arsenal Move
    The custodian is on his way to Arsenal, claim Italian reports.

Gianluigi Buffon has been tipped to leave Juventus and join Premier League side Arsenal, according to Sky Sport 24.

After nine years with the Old Lady, Buffon is set to pack his bags and head for the north London club.

A dreadful league season, no Champions League, three managerial changes, three presidential changes and a worse goals against record than relegated Atalanta have got the alarm bells ringing for the Italian international.

Two weeks ago Buffon said his intention was to remain in Turin, but that he wouldn't mind moving to England should the club decide to part company with him.

And it's in the Premier League where he has the biggest following. Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal are all keen.

United are looking for an alternative to Edwin van der Sar, while City are relying on their millions to attract Buffon.

But he recently said they were not considered a big enough club, and their failure to qualify for the Champions League has also put a downer on any move.

Thus it's Arsenal who remain in pole position. It's no secret they need a goalkeeper, and Buffon's experience fits the bill for Arsene Wenger.

JIZZ...JIZZ..........JIZZZZZ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Can I just say that the level of excitement on this thread tonight has been ridiculous. If I wake up tomorrow and there has been no movement on this I'm going to hold you all personally responsible for my impending hangover!

Can I just say that the level of excitement on this thread tonight has been ridiculous. If I wake up tomorrow and there has been no movement on this I'm going to hold you all personally responsible for my impending hangover!

Serie A isn't finished until this weekend though, I wouldn't hold your breath!

I'm with lenin, these Gigi rumours have started gathering seriously momentum lately, I'd like to see something happen soon if it's going to happen at all, the suspense is killing me.

Also on the CB situation I don't feel a proper replacement for Gallas will be signed, I think we'll End up with:

Vermaelen
    Djourou
    Campbell
    New Young CB
    Bartley
    Silvestre

:(

I'm with lenin, these Gigi rumours have started gathering seriously momentum lately, I'd like to see something happen soon if it's going to happen at all, the suspense is killing me.

Also on the CB situation I don't feel a proper replacement for Gallas will be signed, I think we'll End up with:

Vermaelen
    Djourou
    Campbell
    New Young CB
    Bartley
    Silvestre

:(

Peanuthead will go too, so we'll either promote some other young fella or buy another young fella!

• Advertisement

Peanuthead will go too, so we'll either promote some other young fella or buy another young fella!

If Silvestre goes I'd imagine Nordveit will be promoted up, unless he's sold for doing nothing on any of his loan spells.

We're going to hear the whole:

"Djourou is like a whole new signing" speech rolled out to make up for the fact we won't be buying a CB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

And Senderos, don't forget about Senderos!!

FearDark wrote: »
    And Senderos, don't forget about Senderos!!

I'd like to see us keep Senderos but he's gone, can't see Wenger keeping him now after he's ranked Silvestre and Campbell ahead of him in the pecking order.

If Silvestre goes I'd imagine Nordveit will be promoted up, unless he's sold for doing nothing on any of his loan spells.

We're going to hear the whole:

"Djourou is like a whole new signing" speech rolled out to make up for the fact we won't be buying a CB.

Djourou, Fabregas, van Persie, Eduardo, Ramsey, ..., etc., etc. are all going to be new signings and we'll only sign Chamakh on a free and splash the cash on Buffon. I can see it now, it won't win us any trophies though :rolleyes:

Djourou, Fabregas, van Persie, Eduardo, Ramsey, ..., etc., etc. are all going to be new signings and we'll only sign Chamakh on a free and splash the cash on Buffon. I can see it now, it won't win us any trophies though :rolleyes:

If Wenger took the FA Cup seriously it might.
    It won't win us the league though.

If Wenger took the FA Cup seriously it might.
    It won't win us the league though.

I don't think the domestic cups would appease me at this stage though! Better than nothing, I guess but ultimately not good enough.

• Advertisement

I don't think the domestic cups would appease me at this stage though! Better than nothing, I guess but ultimately not good enough.

I'd love an FA Cup.
    I'd love a Carling Cup too.

I like Wenger's system of giving the kids a run out in the CC. But when we're constantly getting so close only to be getting knocked out by a team we could beat it gets infuriating. One or two senior players in the team would be a big advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think we should make an all out assault on the Carling Cup next year. Vindicate AW's youth policy y'know! :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Any 'young' CB we sign will go straight into the first XI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Nasri left bout of the French WC squad probably good for Arsenal but very disappointing for the player himself. He has been pretty good this season and at least deserved a chance in the squad of 30.
    Suppose you are dealing with a manager about as sharp as a golf ball in Domenech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Nasri left bout of the French WC squad probably good for Arsenal but very disappointing for the player himself. He has been pretty good this season and at least deserved a chance in the squad of 30.
    Suppose you are dealing with a manager about as sharp as a golf ball in Domenech

Yet diaby made the team. Domenech is some fool.

• Advertisement

Any 'young' CB we sign will go straight into the first XI.
    I dunno. From that interview it seemed Wenger was grooming Djourou as Gallas' replacement. So now Gallas is gone it may well be Djourou+Verm as our first choice CB pairing.
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    Yet diaby made the team. Domenech is some fool.

Unlucky for Nasri alright but at least he can't come back crocked now and will have a full pre-season behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Unlucky for Nasri alright but at least he can't come back crocked now and will have a full pre-season behind him.

He'll also have a rocket up his arse, aiming to prove Domenech wrong. I'm expecting the season of his life.

Just love watching this goal.. Went on a Nasri binge there. This goal is just so amazingly typical Arsenal though. So many passes across the park and then eventually penetration. Wish it would happen more often against the top sides.

Sútalún wrote: »
    He'll also have a rocket up his arse, aiming to prove Domenech wrong. I'm expecting the season of his life.

France's pathetic exit in the first KO Round will do more to prove Domenech wrong than Nasri ever could.
    If the next manager has an ounce of common sense he'll pick Nasri over Ben Arfa next time.

France's pathetic exit in the first KO Round will do more to prove Domenech wrong than Nasri ever could.
    If the next manager has an ounce of common sense he'll pick Nasri over Ben Arfa next time.

Well it's more proving that he's good enough to make the french squad or 11 than proving Domenech wrong; but in doing so he's proving Domenech wrong. Or something.. Just expecting a good season from him! Build on this season where I think he's been in our top 5 performers at least.

We nearly had Ben Arfa signed at some stage either last season or the season before iirc?

cson wrote: »
    We nearly had Ben Arfa signed at some stage either last season or the season before iirc?

I'm glad we didn't. From what I've heard of him he has serious attitude problems and himself and Nasri don't get on at all at all.

cson wrote: »

Yeah recall that, everyone was raving about him showing Youtube compilations as their source of evidence that he was incredible. Very happy with Nasri though, seems to have a higher worth ethic and be an all around better player.

I'm glad we didn't. From what I've heard of him he has serious attitude problems and himself and Nasri don't get on at all at all.

Think it's himself and Diaby. There's a vid of them going at it on Youtube afaik.

3 goals and 2 assists for Benik Afobe in last night's academy league final 5-3 win. I wonder if he'll be involved in the CC team next season.

• Advertisement

Out of interest; how many have made it through the academy to the first team [even if bought in]; I'm thinking Cesc is the obvious one though was he parachuted straight into the first team after we bought him?

Djourou
    Bendtner
    Gibbs
    Wilshere
    Traore
    Mannone

Almost all started their careers somewhere else though.
    Djourou - Brought in at 15 on academy scholarship
    Bendtner - Bought as a 16 yr old. I believe a professional contract was already in place
    Gibbs - Transferred to Arsenal academy when Wimbledon disbanded at 15.
    Wilshere - Joined the academy as a 9 year old
    Traore - Bought at 16. Went straight into the reserves I think
    Mannone - Bought as a 17 year old. Straight into the reserves.

Wilshere in many respects is the only genuine academy product, for most of the others the academy was merely a finishing school if even.

Jesus, how did Traore make it through? I used to be excited about him but from his displays this season he's pretty rubbish isn't he?

Almost all started their careers somewhere else though.

Wilshere in many respects is the only genuine academy product, for most of the others the academy was merely a finishing school if even.
    Does it make a difference?

Sútalún wrote: »

Just love watching this goal.. Went on a Nasri binge there. This goal is just so amazingly typical Arsenal though. So many passes across the park and then eventually penetration. Wish it would happen more often against the top sides.

I love how one of the commentators was just finished complaining how Arsenal had brought the ball back to their half and not really done anything with it.
    3 goals and 2 assists for Benik Afobe in last night's academy league final 5-3 win. I wonder if he'll be involved in the CC team next season.

I've been hearing a lot about him this year. I'd say himself and JE-T will be the big newcomers in the CC next year.
    edit: Also Frimpong wants in too:
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/frimpong-next-season-is-a-big-one-for-me
    Apparaently he has improved in leaps and bounds this year.

Also pre-season friendlies against Barnet (no surprise) and Legia Warsaw announced.

omg. Buffon. Sorry. first visit today. Also congrats to the academy team

omg.

Does it make a difference?

Because we were talking about players who have gone through the academy. Wilshere is the only one to have fully gone through it from start to finish. I'm not giving out or anything, just pointing out that the academy acts more as a finishing school these days. It's not like say La Masia, where the players who make it through generally seem to arrive much younger.

Anyway, more quotes from Wenger.
    "If you divide the season into two - going forward we have done very well but defensively we have been average," Wenger told the club's official website.

"When you concede 40 goals you don't win the championship and I want to rectify that.

"My transfer policy this summer will be to keep our strengths going forward, add one player, and add more defensive strength to our team."

and
    "When you're as close to a trophy and you don't do it, it's disappointing but overall if you look back over the season, I am proud of our attitude and spirit," the Frenchman said.

"Unfortunately we got injuries in the final sprint of the season and it was a bit too much.

"This season has shown that we have quality, spirit and we have also discovered players who have made massive improvements so there is a very strong basis to do extremely well.

"Not a lot is needed when you come as close as we did this year having lost the big games.

"I think we have a massive chance to come back and win it. Let's be consistent, come back next year and be even stronger."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/05/12/1921561/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-i-will-shore-up-average

I presume they are from the interview on the site but I don't have a subscription to see.

Because we were talking about players who have gone through the academy.
    We are? Nobody said they'd been in the academy since diapers. cson asked who'd been in the academy that now plays with the first team, I answered. I don't see what the rest of it has to do with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

gingelion wrote: »
    Jesus, how did Traore make it through? I used to be excited about him but from his displays this season he's pretty rubbish isn't he?

Think he has been fairly good this season.

He really isn't a LB, and is the best crosser and fastest player at the club IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement