Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

We are? Nobody said they'd been in the academy since diapers. cson asked who'd been in the academy that now plays with the first team, I answered. I don't see what the rest of it has to do with anything.

Consider it supplementary information that some people may or may not find interesting. I do, you clearly do not. So be it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It just seems like you're arguing against a point that neither I nor anyone else ever made.

Anywho...

Predictions for summer transfer activity? I reckon we'll sign a CB right before the WC and a young CM/RB late in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

How many can we really afford with £30m?

I'd say we'll get a CB and he'll ignore the most pressing area; GK. I will genuinely be astounded if we sign a proven GK.

cson wrote: »

There will be sales though to supplement this. One of Eduardo and Vela will be a cert you'd imagine. He could let go of Eboué to generate funds too, he seems to be generating a bit of interest from Italy. And I'm sure a few youngsters will be sold off too, could possibly generate a couple of million this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd say we'll get a CB and he'll ignore the most pressing area; GK. I will genuinely be astounded if we sign a proven GK.

We won't be challenging for any trophies without one though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gimmick wrote: »
    Ballague has just said on Revista that he reckons the deal to take Fabregas from Arsenal to Barca is a done deal
    Well, as a mate pointed out to me earlier (hadn't seen my email at that point but not sure I'd have noticed!), he's not in the graphic in the Red Membership renewal emails. It mightn't be a done deal but seems a bit unusual.

gun__1272361006_mem_main_image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Well, as a mate pointed out to me earlier (hadn't seen my email at that point but not sure I'd have noticed!), he's not in the graphic in the Red Membership renewal emails. It mightn't be a done deal but seems a bit unusual.

Fcúk, was it Cole or Henry the last time something like that happened?

look on the bright side lads, at least Almunia isn't in there.

L'prof wrote: »
    Fcúk, was it Cole or Henry the last time something like that happened?
    Yeah I was trying to remember that as well... Henry I think?

Hang on, what am I saying? GO STUDY!

look on the bright side lads, at least Almunia isn't in there.
    And according to the other 'Wall of Legends' graphic, Bob Wilson's taking over :eek:
    gun__1272360980_mem_footer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Is that not just a photo that was edited though? Fabregas probably just wasnt in the shot. Looks like its from a lineup, so he would probably have been at the very top as captain maybe? I say that because Gibbs is there. Surely if they were picking players, Clichy would be there instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Archimedes wrote: »
    Is that not just a photo that was edited though? Fabregas probably just wasnt in the shot. Looks like its from a lineup, so he would probably have been at the very top as captain maybe? I say that because Gibbs is there. Surely if they were picking players, Clichy would be there instead.

Good point...:D

Is that not just a photo that was edited though?
    I assumed they comped it together - the Van Persie/Eduardo part didn't look 100% natural to me. I'm not saying it's definitive proof or anything but even if it was all from the same photo, they've made a decision not to feature Fabregas. There hasn't been a lot from him on the .com site recently either.

I dunno, we'll see I guess. I used to feel safe in the knowledge that Barca didn't need him yet - but then I realised that Iniesta could just push up to the front 3 :(

EDIT: Just to say that those players all started the home match against Portsmouth (game 2 of the league) so could be from then. Gibbs and Vermaelen wouldn't have played a lot together, even ignoring the others, but it could be from that match.

Surely if they were picking players, Clichy would be there instead.
    Oh and also, not necessarily... I'd have expected Gael to be straight out denying the talk that Arshavin's, ahem, mistranslation started about Barca. But there was nothing from him.

Again though, just something that was pointed out to me - I find it odd that Cesc wouldn't be there, but there might be nothing to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Using my fine detective skills it seems to me the pic is from the first home match of the season against Portsmouth, going by the lineup.

Arsenal
    01 Almunia
    10 Gallas
    27 Eboue
    28 Gibbs

02 Diaby
    04 Fabregas (Ramsey 46)
    05 Vermaelen
    15 Denilson
    23 Arshavin (Merida 71)
    09 Eduardo (Bendtner 71)
    11 Van Persie

[edit] Damn sorry just saw you beat me to it there yahoo_moe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Tbh there's nothing we can do if he's gone/ wants to go. We'll get a good deal anyway for a player we got for pretty much nothing if worst comes to worst. The same situation was with Henry and Vieira and RvP/Ade and Fabregas stood up to be counted then. Hopefully it'll happen again.

That said I don't think he'll go. They need a forward or two this season and possibly a defender.

playa3 wrote: »
    Using my fine detective skills it seems to me the pic is from the first home match of the season against Portsmouth, going by the lineup.

Spot on.

21d3a056775635859dbb9ae4fa14647e.jpg

Found it in the gallery for the match on arsenalpics.com. URL="http://www.arsenalpics.com/pictures_1716925/the-arsenal-team.html"]link[/URL

Bah I was trying to find it here.:pac:

Ah well so that's that solved. Now what? Who we gonna get linked with tomorrow that we're never gonna sign?

Bah I was trying to find it here.:pac:

Ah well so that's that solved. Now what? Who we gonna get linked with tomorrow that we're never gonna sign?

Melo again I reckon that rumour won't go away.

**** your reasoning skills lads. There I was convinced that we'd sold Almunia, Fabianski, Mannone, Gallas, Clichy, Sagna, Silvestre, Djourou, Song, Ramsey, Walcott, Bendtner, Nasri... :pac:

• Advertisement

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Melo again I reckon that rumour won't go away.

If we're going to sign a midfielder I'd prefer if it was someone a bit more mobile than him. Wouldn't surprise me though cause Wenger is a fan and he likes signing players who've gone out of form and are therefore cheaper.

Tomorrows gossip pages will focus on Touré again, his agent was in the Spanish press yesterday saying he is 90% likely to leave, so that'll still be working it's way through the English speaking press.

I also reckon they will rehash some of the stories of defenders we're linked to also after Arsene's interview when he talked about buying a CB. And you just know somewhere someone will link us with Hangeland again after him being the papers with Fulham.

If we're going to sign a midfielder I'd prefer if it was someone a bit more mobile than him. Wouldn't surprise me though cause Wenger is a fan and he likes signing players who've gone out of form and are therefore cheaper.

Yah I'd rather Toure any day than him. Though he's outta form i don't think he'll come cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Swap RvP and fabregas for Buffon and Melo LOL :pac:
    http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/222/transfer-zone/2010/05/06/1911388/juventus-keen-to-swap-gianluigi-buffon-felipe-melo-for

Ladies team won the league. Ad that to the U18s winning and we did the double this season. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

DB10 wrote: »
    Think he has been fairly good this season.

He really isn't a LB, and is the best crosser and fastest player at the club IMO.

Hmmm, I'm drunk now to be honest but from what i can remember i think you're right about the crossing thing.

Tis a pity that wenger was playin him at left back all season wasnt it. he may have played left wing against stoke in the FA cup but i dont think he did that particularly successfully. i'd love if he got good ala song.

he's just not good yet.

Is he still only 19? I must check that out right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I really wouldn't read anything about Fab not being in the picture, the majority of our squad isn't there and we're not selling all them.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really wouldn't read anything about Fab not being in the picture, the majority of our squad isn't there and we're not selling all them.

You keep clinging onto that hope Frisbee, cos it's Vela who's off otherwise what with Eduardo being in the pic and all. :pac:

You keep clinging onto that hope Frisbee, cos it's Vela who's off otherwise what with Eduardo being in the pic and all. :pac:

I've accepted Vela is donezo, I'm past the denial stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Galvasean wrote: »

That has given me a good laugh this morning. :)

• Advertisement

Ok so we give you Fabregas.
    Now you give us Buffon.
    Now here's 4M.
    Now give us Melo.
    Now you give us back 3M.
    We give you RVP.
    Now we take back Fabregas and give you 2M.
    We give you 5M.
    You return RVP along with 8M.
    We give you Silvestre.

Deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sounds like a deal pompey would do except they'd end up owing juve 20m.

The annoying thing about fabs and the links is the bara presidential election has' t even started yet, stories will increase ten fold then.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Peter Hill-Wood has just come out and made some comments that have sealed Gallas' move away from the Grove.
    "His demands are quite extravagant and I don’t think we are prepared to go along with it. We would very much like him to stay, but I think for one year, and not on the money he wants. He is a good player, but you have got to draw the line somewhere."

"If he can get the money somewhere else, good luck to him. We still hope he will sign, but if he doesn’t, he doesn’t. It is not that we are being bloody-minded for the hell of it. We have got to look forward and the cost of players isn’t just in transfers, it is in the salaries as well. And we analyse these quite carefully, because we don’t want to go bankrupt."

Source is the Daily Star apparently.

Bah I was trying to find it here.
    Ha, exactly where I was looking. Hopefully nothing more to it than a potentially worrying choice of photo (if you're my paranoid mate) so.

What's with the Italian press thinking real football works like Panini stickers in the playground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Galvasean wrote: »

Ladies team won the league.

Was at the match with Leeds Carnegie Last night. They're a good side, Kim Little is a handy player and Rachel Yankey and Gemma Davidson down the wings put Walcott to shame (in the sense that they actually made crosses with purpose :D)

I wish our mens team could have even a tenth of the ladies success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Shag this.

Less then a week since the end of the season and this thread is getting stupid already.

Fab and RVP (our captain and vice captain) leaving to non-CL Juve.

Fab leaving cause he's not in a picture on the site.

Fab leaving cause a Spanish journalist said so. :D

This year, in an effort to enjoy my summer more, I'm signing off from Arsenal chat. See you guys whenever someone actually leaves or signs.

P.S. Hopefully that won't be too long. Gazidas said in the Q & A the other day, he wouldn't say exactly what the budget was but that people's reckoning was about right.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, in the real world, Peter Hill-Wood has just come out and made some comments that have sealed Gallas' move away from the Grove.

Source is the Daily Star apparently.

Sad to see him go as he's still a good defender when he's not injured.
    But he spends several months a season injured now and isn't deserving of a big salary, and he'l long known of Wenger's policy of contracts for the over-30's.

So long Billy G.

Hill-Wood should really STFU.

Chairman should be seen and not heard.

Agreed Frisbee. I certainly want him to stay but there's no point in blowing the wage structure for a player who probably won't complete a full season.

... I'll take this back next August when we've got Peanuthead as a starter :(

Sol thinks he can play for us for another 2 years.

Well, he can certainly have a go at 1.

• Advertisement

I''m in work so can't view the link. but judging what a reputable source goal.com usually is I can only assume the 8 players listed are:

Fabianski, Silvestre, Eduardo, Vela, Traore, Senderos, Gallas and Randall.

No way goal.com would rehash sensationalist reports and the list would contain the likes of:

Fab, RVP, Clichy, Sagna, Shava...

Frisbee wrote: »
    I''m in work so can't view the link.

Sorry I should have listed them. They are Arshavin (unhappy with lack of progress and UK taxes), Clichy (Wenger willing to cash in so Gibbs can step up), Gallas, Senderos, Rosicky (Hamburg interested for around €5m), Eduardo, Merida, Silvestre. The only thing new in the article was that Silvestre is supposedly looking for a player-coach role.

gingelion wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'm drunk now to be honest but from what i can remember i think you're right about the crossing thing.

Tis a pity that wenger was playin him at left back all season wasnt it.

It was unfortunate that Clichy and Gibbs were both out at the same time. Hard to judge a player so young who is being played out of position.

I'll hazard a guess of my own 8.

Almunia
    Fabianski
    Senderos
    Gallas
    Silvestre
    Merida
    Vela
    Eduardo

Wow, that was easy. Didn't even have to include good palyers like Clichy and Arshavin (or even old man Campbell).

That list is'nt so bad apart from shava. clichy i liked him but he has really gone dowhill the last 2 seasons.

That list is'nt so bad apart from shava. clichy i liked him but he has really gone dowhill the last 2 seasons.

I thought he started regaining some of his old form towards the end of the season.

I certainly wouldn't want to see him leave.

Sport.co.uk link us with ex-Ireland and current Man City mentalist, Stephen Ireland. He's certainly a good player but quite barmy indeed. Perhaps that's what we need. More mental instability. All our players are too level headed, more bonkersness required. Ireland would certainly fit the bill in that regard.

I loled

Clichy had erratic form early in the season. As it turns out he was carrying an injury which ended up keeping out of the team for a while. As with any long term injury it took him a while to get sharp again. You can hardly blame the guy for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Thought this was a particularly accurate and fair review considering the usual sh*te that can be put out:

[HTML]
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6148752,00.html
    [/HTML]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Phew!!, he's not going, anytime you see " told Spanish newspaper Marca", its 99.999% b*ll*x. that quote was recycled from the previous stories.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement