Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Any truth to what arseblog had this morning re 4 players tomorrow ?

that was sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Papers today linking us with Kjaer, Hangelaand and the Serbian international centre back that isn't Vidic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Galvasean wrote: »
    Papers today linking us with Kjaer, Hangelaand and the Serbian international centre back that isn't Vidic...

Subotic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Frisbee wrote: »
    Subotic?

Ivanovic plays CB for Serbia.

• Advertisement

Forget his name, long hair, bit of a beard. Meh, wasn't paying too much attention TBH

Galvasean wrote: »
    Forget his name, long hair, bit of a beard. Meh, wasn't paying too much attention TBH

Yeah fairly sure that's Subotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Subbuteo?

Football Manager Legend, that's about all I know of him.

Bah, Football Manager be damned. So sick of seeing Carlos vela score hat tricks in teh Champions League final.

• Advertisement

Looks like Gourcuff wants out of Bordeaux, we should definitely bid for him and ditch Diaby/Rosicky if we can get him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wouldn't mind Gourcuff as a Cesc replacement were the unthinkable to happen. Song-Yaya-Gourcuff would be pretty tasty.

Song-Yaya-Gourcuff would be tasty alright but where does our width come from? I really believe we need a bit of width on either side of the park aside from the full backs. Walcott on the right maybe and ???? on the left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The word on arseblog is Cesc's in london to tell wenger he's off.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

If that's true I've made a dick of myself in the Barca thread by saying there's no hope he'll leave. :pac:

Still don't believe it though.

It was only a matter of time, it was in his DNA after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I think if Fabregas did leave, it would be a hugh blow to Arsenal. Players like Fabregas are hard to replace as was/is the case for Ronaldo leaving Manchester United, it was a loss to lose a player like him and if Torres leaves Liverpool, it would be the same for them. The thing that if Torres did leave Liverpool, it could be to go to Chelski or Man City so he would still be in the Premiership where as the problem with Fabregas leaving would be that he would be off to Spain which doesn't do the Premiership much good. He would be missed just as Ronaldo is missed, as is Mourinho and other class players or managers etc.

Whereabouts on arseblog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Whereabouts on arseblog?

Exactly the question I was going to ask!

The forum. The general concensus is he's as good as gone(made up his mind) unless Wenger can talk him out of it.

• Advertisement

Ah, the elusive arseblog forum! Fair enough.

Losing Cesc would be gutting but as deep as my mancrush is on the guy, there would be positives. We're a developing team that has plenty of gaps in the squad that need filling, and Cesc would give us the cash to do so. It'd be different if we were a complete team.

The forum. The general concensus is he's as good as gone(made up his mind) unless Wenger can talk him out of it.

If thats the way stories get started in todays world then no wonder all the newspapers are rags!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No guarantee any of the cash would be spent, this is Wenger we're talking about. How much did we make last summer and only saw a fraction of it re-invested.

keano_afc wrote: »
    No guarantee any of the cash would be spent, this is Wenger we're talking about. How much did we make last summer and only saw a fraction of it re-invested.
    Wenger out banners at the Emirates would be guaranteed though.

It was always going to happen. Unfortunately it's sooner rather than later.

Only chance would be wenger be talking him out of it, with a decent transfer plan and get Cesc to entor willshire for a year or 2. Flappy or manuel must not mentioned in the discussion. whatever happens, it better happen quick i don't fancy another vieira to madrid type summer(and that was'nt so bad because we were champs then).

Paleface wrote: »
    If thats the way stories get started in todays world then no wonder all the newspapers are rags!

Any other forum i'd say it too, but over the years i've read too much stuff there that appeared in the papers or happened a day or 2 later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i would have my doubts about this

isnt there an ash cloud blocking flights in england atm

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

keano_afc wrote: »

True, but surely it'll be different this summer. I HOPE!. He can't be that blind to the stuff that everyone else can see. :D

I can't see for the life of me why he wants to go so soon. Granted its another season without a trophy and he won't be too happy with it but what has he got to lose by sticking it out another couple of seasons? The guy is only 22 and another couple of seasons with us would develop him even more as a player [if thats possible] imo. Barcelona will still be there in 2 years time.

• Advertisement

Cesc is ambitious and wants to win things now. He could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow for all he knows.

Seriously, if you saw all your childhood mates hoovering up the trophies in Spain, and ****ers like Cashley and Fletcher doing the same in England, while you're stuck winning nothing because the manager persists with clowns like Almunia and Silvestre, wouldn't you get pissed off and disillusioned?

cson wrote: »
    I can't see for the life of me why he wants to go so soon. Granted its another season without a trophy and he won't be too happy with it but what has he got to lose by sticking it out another couple of seasons?

Probaly heard that flappy and manny will be No.1 and 2 again next season. Cesc probably just found out wenger meant 1st choice and 2nd choice and not the other no1 and no.2. we've been roaring for a keeper since jens left and he's done nothing, same this season with DM cover and striker cover and we dropped the ball flappy style. Would'nt blame him, if it was the first year maybe. but this is going on 3 years now.

Also barca is at prime, its never been this good, always good n spain but always indifferent in europe Plus good knows who's coming out of the academy next, 2 years time there might not be a place for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Probaly heard that flappy and manny will be No.1 and 2 again next season. Cesc probably just found out wenger meant 1st choice and 2nd choice and not the other no1 and no.2. we've been roaring for a keeper since jens left and he's done nothing, same this season with DM cover and striker cover and we dropped the ball flappy style. Would'nt blame him, if it was the first year maybe. but this is going on 3 years now.

Also barca is at prime, its never been this good, always good n spain but always indifferent in europe Plus good knows who's coming out of the academy next, 2 years time there might not be a place for him.

There's no place for him now, which makes his decision to leave quite bizarre if true.

They'd make a place for him if they could get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

They'd make a place for him if they could get him.

Could see Arsenal finishing along the lines of Liverpool in the league without him as Liverpool suffered greatly when they lost Alonso.

Even if Arsene does replace Fabregas if he does leave, will the club give all the money to him to spend as we still wonder if Fergie got funds from the Ronaldo sale. Maybe Fergie will splash the cash this season but not sure if it will be so.

Anyway, back to Arsenal, if he does go, Arsene would want to replace Fabregas with a player who would fit right into the premier league or who has already premiership experience. Yaya has been mentioned. He could even be part of the deal if a deal is going to be put together. If that was the case that Yaya did end up a Gooner, I do think it would take him at least 6 months to settle in but could be wrong.

You guys are all jumping the gun here and falling hook line and sinker for what can only be described as hearsay.

My take on the situation is that Cesc wants the squad strengthened to challenge for silverware. And who could blame him since that's what everyone wants.

They are definitely going to buy this summer. If Wenger cannot convince him of that then the club will have shown a serious lack of ambition that will end up hurting them financially which is their biggest fear.

Also what kind of message would this send to players like Van Persie, Arshavin, Vermaelen, Song etc if the club sells its captain who is only 22!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »
    i would have my doubts about this

isnt there an ash cloud blocking flights in england atm

His agent is an English man though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I used to think Barca didn't have a place for Cesc yet (i.e. that he'd only ever be needed to replace Xavi) but Iniesta can also play as part of the front 3 so they can easily adapt.

Busquets

--Xavi
    Fabregas--

Messi
    Ibra----Iniesta

... or a diamond midfield or some variation is perfectly possible.

They also play 55 games a season or thereabouts, with Iniesta generally picking up an injury or two per year, so there are plenty of games to go around.

^^^^^^^^^

They could do that but Iniesta is so much better in the middle

Cesc is better than Iniesta though.

They could always buy a left sided Alves type and go 4-4-2 diamond too.

Cesc is better than Iniesta though.

They could always buy a left sided Alves type and go 4-4-2 diamond too.

Iniesta is the apple of a lot of Barca's fans eye's though.

No way they will replace him.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Iniesta is the apple of a lot of Barca's fans eye's though.

No way they will replace him.

What's Xavi then? The orange, banana and pineapple? :P

Cesc is ambitious and wants to win things now. He could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow for all he knows.

Seriously, if you saw all your childhood mates hoovering up the trophies in Spain, and ****ers like Cashley and Fletcher doing the same in England, while you're stuck winning nothing because the manager persists with clowns like Almunia and Silvestre, wouldn't you get pissed off and disillusioned?

They'll still be there to be hoovered up with Barcelona in a couple of years. Seriously; the guy has nothing to lose by staying another year. And he could get injured at another club as soon as he could get injured here. Well.... maybe not either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What's Xavi then? The orange, banana and pineapple? :P

The genius.

But before Iniesta was injured, correct me if I'm wrong here, but he was playing on the right wing.

I think Barcelona would have to make a place for Cesc. IMO Iniesta and Xavi are a bit better than Cesc right now. With Pedro playing so well and Yaya Toure and Keita finally getting their plaudits at Barca, I don't think it would be the right time for Cesc to move.

And their is no way in hell they will change the formation for Cesc. If it did happen I could see:
    Busquets
    Xavi Fabregas
    Messi Ibra/Villa:eek: Iniesta

That team would be frighting, although Iniesta is playing out of position there.

Toure isn't getting too many plaudits. He's been frozen out for Busquets for the most part. So I don't know where you're getting that from.

Toure isn't getting too many plaudits. He's been frozen out for Busquets for the most part. So I don't know where you're getting that from.

Really? Have you watched Barca this season.

Busquets: 29 Starts
    Yaya: 26 starts

If that's "frozen out" I wonder how you would describe Philippe Senderos's season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think Xavi/Iniesta have their god like status not only because of their god like form, but also because of who they play for. I've heard people say Iniesta is better than Cesc plenty of times, and I don't agree. If Iniesta played for Arsenal and Cesc for Barca, I don't think anybody would be claiming Iniesta is better. Not to say Iniesta isn't one of the best in the world, but Cesc is too, and is just that little bit better imo.

Xavi might just be the best though.

I think Xavi/Iniesta have their god like status not only because of their god like form, but also because of who they play for. I've heard people say Iniesta is better than Cesc plenty of times, and I don't agree. If Iniesta played for Arsenal and Cesc for Barca, I don't think anybody would be claiming Iniesta is better. Not to say Iniesta isn't one of the best in the world, but Cesc is too, and is just that little bit better imo.

Xavi might just be the best though.

Yeah, I'd probably go along with that.

But I'd say Cesc would be the ideal replacement for Xavi, only problem with that is he's better off staying with Arsenal until then.

It would be good from my point of view as a United fan for Arsenal to lose Cesc, but on the same note you would be losing one of the best players in the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Knew we were top but didn't know they'd made an actual trophy for it. (Or reused one of their spare 'Manager of the Month' ones.)

Re: Iniesta's best position - he's one of Barca's few runners of the ball (along with Messi and, this season, Pedro) so putting him further up the pitch doesn't exactly negate his threat. The main problem previously would have been that whoever dropped in behind (Keita, say) is less of a ball player so it looks a bad move but Fabregas is every bit as tidy as Iniesta in the CM area. Plus he'd be more Xavi-like in his through balls than Iniesta.

It'd essentially give Barca two fulcrums (not sure that's scientifically sound but you get the gist :)) so teams couldn't just concentrate on closing down Xavi. If it works, it could be sensational. Iniesta's a lot of things (I personally wouldn't say Cesc is better) but he plays off Xavi a lot rather than giving them an entire other option to play through.

Of course Cesc might still stay too, we don't know. Really highlights the Ramsey injury again though - until then, I'd have had full confidence in Ramsey to replace Cesc next summer, and been semi-content this summer given the cash any move would generate. Now it's kind of scary as a prospect.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'd have had full confidence in Ramsey to replace Cesc next summer, and been semi-content this summer given the cash any move would generate. Now it's kind of scary as a prospect.

This.

Ramsey's injury has set Wengers plans back a bit I'd imagine.

I still fully expect to see Cesc in an Arsenal shirt next season regardless.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement