Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OPENROAD wrote: »

Great job...:rolleyes::D

gazidis-with-fair-play-league-trophy.jpg?w=594&h=433

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thats the treble; fai play, women's league and academy league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Galvasean wrote: »
    Thats the treble; fai play, women's league and academy league.

You forgot The Emirates Cup, quadruple imo. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wouldn't mind Gourcuff as a Cesc replacement were the unthinkable to happen. Song-Yaya-Gourcuff would be pretty tasty.

I forgot I posted that about Gorucuff before I went to work yesterday and just seen it now. I was talking about Gourcuff as less of a Cesc replacement but more a partner to him.

Regardless of Laporta's recent claims of goodbye gifts and Cesc definitely coming to Barca this summer I'm still looking on them as rubbish. He's only just been made captain, is the foundation of our team and obviously trusts Wenger. I wouldn't be suprised to see Cesc leave at the end of next season, but I don't think it will be this year.

With a midfield of: Cesc---Song---Gourcuff
    we may be a bit too attacking but it would certainly allow us to control games and throttle the life out of weaker teams by keeping possession. Would probably be a little too attacking against bigger teams though. Plus when our inevitable crisis strikes next year he can also play out on the RW.

A more all-round midfielder would be preferable than someone so attacking. Yaya would be perfect as he can also play at CB but I can't see us getting Yaya unless the deal involves Cesc going the other way...

Can someone copy the text in here for me? I'm in work and can't access it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'll bet Gourcuff goes to Lyon this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Frisbee wrote: »
    Can someone copy the text in here for me? I'm in work and can't access it.

Sky Sports wrote:
    Barca close on Villa & Cesc

Spanish champions hopeful on double deal

Barcelona vice-president Rafael Yuste has revealed they are close to signing David Villa and remain hopeful of landing Cesc Fabregas.
    Newly-crowned Primera Liga champions Barca are keen on signing Valenciaspacer.gif ace Villaspacer.gif and Arsenalspacer.gif schemer Fabregasspacer.gif as they look to strengthen their squad for next season.
    A move for Villa has been mooted for some time with Valencia resigned to losing their star striker due to their financial problems.
    Fabregas has been continually linked with a return to Barcelonaspacer.gif with the midfielder admitting his desire to rejoin his former club at some point in the future.
    Yustespacer.gif admits the two deals are at different stages with Villa close to making the move to Camp Nou, but Arsenal are expected to fight hard to keep hold of Fabregas.
    "Negotiations are progressing well especially in the case of Villa," Yuste told Catalonian radio station Ona FM.
    "The situation with Cesc is different because even if you have the will of the player it is very important to talk to his club and, if you can, find an agreement.
    "But what makes it easier is that both players want to come to Barca."
    Fabregas revealed last week that he wants his future sorted before he goes to the World Cupspacer.gif with Barca hoping they can tempt Arsenal into a deal for the midfielder.
    Swap deal

It has been suggested Yaya Tourespacer.gif could be used as a makeweight in a deal to
    take Fabregas to Camp Nou and the Ivorian's agent Dimitri Selukspacer.gif admitted his client is not happy at his bit-part role under Pep Guardiola.
    "Toure wants to play every game," said Seluk. "It is likely that Toure will not remain at Barcelona.
    "He is happy there, it is a great club but he does not want to spend his time on the bench."
    He added, however: "There is a one in a thousand chance that Toure will be involved in the move for Cesc with Arsenal."

Not much in that article imo, just some stirring by Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Oops just saw jester posted it.

Its skysports, i've read enough Vieira\henry skysp stories to take their stoires with a bucket of salt.

Nothing new on arseblog, consensus now is Wenger will talk him out of it. If anyway can do it wenger can, he talked Vieira out of it for years(then again we were winning stuff back then).

• Advertisement

Jayzus there's nothing to that. Slight overreaction by FUNKY LOVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

consensus now is Wenger will talk him out of it. If anyway can do it wenger can, he talked Vieira out of it for years(then again we were winning stuff back then).

Wenger will use the services of.....

hypnotoad.jpg

and Cesc will stay ;)

Jayzus there's nothing to that. Slight overreaction by FUNKY LOVER.

ha ha keep denying it,its time we faced up he might be leaving,he would have came out and put it to bed now if it wasnt true.

poor arsh gets crucified for saying one day he would love to play for barca but cesc says he might leave and wants it sorted before world cup and not a bad word against him.

ha ha keep denying it,its time we faced up he might be leaving,he would have came out and put it to bed now if it wasnt true.

I think nearly all Arsenal fans can accept that Cesc is going to move for Barca. It won't happen this transfer window though imo.
    poor arsh gets crucified for saying one day he would love to play for barca but cesc says he might leave and wants it sorted before world cup and not a bad word against him.

There's a differecne in Arshavin coming out and saying he want's to play for Baca for absolutely no reason and nearly every newpaper and website linking Cesc with Barca and him not saying it's untrue. Except for last week when he said there was nothing to the rumours of course.

I think nearly all Arsenal fans can accept that Cesc is going to move for Barca. It won't happen this transfer window though imo.

There's a differecne in Arshavin coming out and saying he want's to play for Baca for absolutely no reason and nearly every newpaper and website linking Cesc with Barca and him not saying it's untrue. Except for last week when he said there was nothing to the rumours of course.

at the end of the day mate neither of us have a clue whats going on,but were entitle to make up her own minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

at the end of the day mate neither of us have a clue whats going on,but were entitle to make up her own minds.

You could try be a bit more realistic when making up your mind though as opposed to taking anything on Skysports as gospel.

• Advertisement

Paleface wrote: »
    You could try be a bit more realistic when making up your mind though as opposed to taking anything on Skysports as gospel.

well im actually looking at cesc saying i would join barca if i left arsenal and want my future sorted before the world cup.

if hes staying then what future is he on about,he has a contract till 2014?

if hes staying then what future is he on about,he has a contract till 2014?

It could be anything.

Barca are going to bid for him this year certainly. So it could be down to Arsenal deciding whether or not to accept the bid and Cesc wants this done before the WC.

It could also be him deciding whether or not he wants to leave.

Cesc is the Golden boy though, rightly or wrongly he's always going to get less flak than Shava.

well im actually looking at cesc saying i would join barca if i left arsenal and want my future sorted before the world cup.

Those quotes surfaced from the Spanish media last week and there has been nothing official since then.

Today you are posting links to Skysports articles which are just Barcelona chiefs mouthing off ahead of their presidential election.

Until we hear something from Arsenal football club on the matter then I don't think you can accuse anyone of being in denial.

Those quotes surfaced from the Spanish media last week and there has been nothing official since then.

Today you are posting links to Skysports articles which are just Barcelona chiefs mouthing off ahead of their presidential election.

Until we hear something from Arsenal football club on the matter then I don't think you can accuse anyone of being in denial.

oh god its a hypothetical statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What I really dont understand is didnt Joan Laporta come out and say "We will not try to sign Cesc Fabregas this summer." And now Sky Sports News are telling me he said "We have almost completed the signing of David Villa, Cesc Fabregas will take longer but we are confident we will sign him." How can he be taken seriously in an election?

If I was the reporter he said that to, my question would be "So youve basically told everyone you are full of ****?" It really pisses me off when these guys talk out of their arse then go back on it after a month or so.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    What I really dont understand is didnt Joan Laporta come out and say "We will not try to sign Cesc Fabregas this summer." And now Sky Sports News are telling me he said "We have almost completed the signing of David Villa, Cesc Fabregas will take longer but we are confident we will sign him." How can he be taken seriously in an election?

If I was the reporter he said that to, my question would be "So youve basically told everyone you are full of ****?" It really pisses me off when these guys talk out of their arse then go back on it after a month or so.

He's the President of a Spanish football club.

They're crooks to a man.

Look we've had years of experience with spanish clubs,with vieira and henry. You've only had the past 2-3 years experience with Ronaldo, whatever they say, totally disregard it and on the year of a club presidential election definately disregard it. And if it comes from As or marca wipe your ass with it. Spanish fans eat this crap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

He's the President of a Spanish football club.

They're crooks to a man.

To be honest, I do think that Barca are slightly better behaved when it comes to talking about transfers where as Real Madrid, as soon as they want somebody, they let it be known at any point of the season which is more unsettling for players and clubs alike.

Now, I could be wrong but that's just my general feeling on that situation.

They're just as bad, you have'nt read the articles of Xavi, messi saying fabs belongs here, fabs has Barca in his DNA. They even had a video of Pique on international duty interviewing fabergas and asking him why he was'nt at barca and that he should join there. Had the same crap with henry, even as far back as overmars. Only difference is the pesident does'nt get involved the real president does. barca are more sublte.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

They're just as bad, you have'nt read the articles of Xavi, messi saying fabs belongs here, fabs has Barca in his DNA. They even had a video of Pique on international duty interviewing fabergas and asking him why he was'nt at barca and that he should join there. Had the same crap with henry, even as far back as overmars. Only difference is the pesident does'nt get involved the real president does. barca are more sublte.

Thanks, it does job the memory a bit for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

barca are more sublte.
    I don't think it's even that (and Laporta has certainly gotten involved on numerous occasions) - I think it's more that Barca are perceived as a more grounded and likeable team than Madrid so it's not focussed on as much.

In happier news (unless you fixate on how involved Cesc was in a lot of these), free video up on the official site of the 20 goal of the year contenders.

Or, more accurately, Nasri's goal of the season and 19 others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Also, that vid reminded me of two Arsenal end-of-season stats I saw yesterday:
      We were the least accurate crossers in the league, at 17.49% (top was only 26.76% but still)
      5th-highest amount of goals conceded from set-pieces, 23 (as I recall, our stats on this last year or the previous year were good...)

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Another stat I saw a while ago (it may have even been on here) is that van Persie still managed to hit the post/bar the most out of anyone in the league, despite barely playing any matches. He really does have a special talent for it.

In other news I got the letter for renewing red membership today and it has the image of 5 players; Cesc, Arshavin, Vermaelen, RvP, but what's most interesting is it reveals who our keeper is for next season
    it's me!
    :eek:
    :pac:

Bit of the pot calling the kettle black with us moaning about it, we did'nt exactly cover ourselves in glory when we got him. At least with us and united, its mostly dirty but its cloak and dagger and its over before anyone was aware there was interest. Well most of the times. Its the constant, As\Marca crap for years before it happens that bugs the crap out of me. At least Laporta did'nt start with this Galatico crap.

Playa please say your first name is Gianluigi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Guardian reporting that Cesc has told Arse he wants out to go to Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

This thread depresses me so much at this time of the year, I really should just stay away.

Guardian reporting that Cesc has told Arse he wants out to go to Barca.

Just seen this. I'm starting to take notice a little more now...

Apparently Laporta has said if he doesn't sign this year he may never get the chance to sign. Could be conjecture or Laporta trying to force his hand before his presidency ends.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Apparently Laporta has said if he doesn't sign this year he may never get the chance to sign. Could be conjecture or Laporta trying to force his hand before his presidency ends.

Barca are in no position to issue ultimatums to Cesc.
    He'll join when he wants and they'll be happy to take him.

Barca are in no position to issue ultimatums to Cesc.
    He'll join when he wants and they'll be happy to take him.

Ehh, not nessacerily. Many things change with the presidential elections.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/18/cesc-fabregas-arsenal-barcelona-transfer
    Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has told manager Arsene Wenger he wants to leave the club this summer and rejoin Barcelona, according to reports.

Fabregas, who has been undergoing treatment in Spain for his knee injury, is believed to have spoken to Wenger by phone to confirm he has decided to end his career in London, which began as a 16-year-old in September 2003.

The news follows a claim by Barcelona's vice-president that Fabregas had expressed the same view to them. Rafael Yuste told the Catalonian radio station Ona FM that he remained confident that deals for Valencia's David Villa and Fabregas were both on: "Negotiations are progressing well, especially in the case of Villa.

"The situation with Cesc is different because even if you have the will of the player it is very important to talk to his club and, if you can, find an agreement. But what makes it easier is that both players want to come to Barça."

Fábregas, who played alongside Lionel Messi in the Barcelona youth ranks before moving to Arsenal in 2003, had previously said he "would like to go to Barcelona", but had maintained that no move was imminent.

"I am happy at Arsenal and I am not in a rush to leave. Before I go to the World Cup I want my future sorted out because it benefits nobody if I go into the tournament with something else on my mind."

Reacting to Fabregas's initial comment about wanting to return, Barcelona president Joan Laporta said: "It is remarkable that the player has said that.

"If the technical secretary [Txiki Begiristain] believes we must make an effort, we will do and will talk to Arsenal."

Reports have suggested Yaya Touré could be used as a makeweight in a deal to take Fábregas to Camp Nou and the Ivorian's agent admitted last night his client is not happy at his bit-part role under Pep Guardiola.

Dimitri Selcuk said: "Touré wants to play every game. It is likely that he will not remain at Barcelona. He is happy there, it is a great club but he does not want to spend his time on the bench."

He added, however: "There is a one in a thousand chance that Touré will be involved in the move for Cesc with Arsenal."

FÚCK

Old story rehashed, read that 2 days with the 1 in 1000 chance quote. The really bad news is the beeb have a story about barca's interest. Also its not the first time laporta has thrown out that his only chance quote too. Old stories being rehashed and being mixed together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Life will go on if he goes.

I'd like to say the money from Cesc will help improve the squad overall, but that's just not true. Plus I'd say Arsenal will get a rubbish fee for him. He only wants to move to one club, it's not like Barca have to enter a bidding war.

I dunno I could still see Wenger just refusing to sell him this year even if he has asked to go to Barca. That'd give Ramsey/Wilshere/Nasri more time to show if they have the ability to replace him from within.

Cesc isn't exactly the sort of player that will throw a strop and refuse to play and Wenger has been going on a lot recently of how the only players free to go are those whose contracts are up.

• Advertisement

Old story rehashed, read that 2 days with the 1 in 1000 chance quote. The really bad news is the beeb have a story about barca's interest.

The majority of the story is rehashed alright, but not the very first paragraph.
    Life will go on if he goes.

I'd like to say the money from Cesc will help improve the squad overall, but that's just not true. Plus I'd say Arsenal will get a rubbish fee for him. He only wants to move to one club, it's not like Barca have to enter a bidding war.

50M is the very very minimum we should be getting considering all his best years are ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Fabregas wrote:

I am happy at Arsenal and I am not in a rush to leave. Before I go to the World Cup I want my future sorted out because it benefits nobody if I go into the tournament with something else on my mind.
    Eh.... Didn't he say that nearly two weeks ago.

Are the guardian regurgitating old quotes to try put a different twist on them.

Fúcking rag of a paper.

The majority of the story is rehashed alright, but not the very first paragraph.

50M is the very very minimum we should be getting considering all his best years are ahead of him.

You'd think, but €20m for Henry was absolute rubbish at the time even considering he was getting on. Same with Vieira. Apparently Arsenal will look for £30m-35m for Fabregas, pathetic amount of money for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's also breaking news on SSN, for what that's worth.

Edit: Never mind, its according to Balague, which is worth nothing.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Eh.... Didn't he say that nearly two weeks ago.

Are the guardian regurgitating old quotes to try put a different twist on them.

Fúcking rag of a paper.

Yes most of it is rehashed. The following two lines aren't, I'm just hoping they're not true:
    Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has told manager Arsene Wenger he wants to leave the club this summer and rejoin Barcelona, according to reports.

Fabregas, who has been undergoing treatment in Spain for his knee injury, is believed to have spoken to Wenger by phone to confirm he has decided to end his career in London, which began as a 16-year-old in September 2003.

Yeah we always tend to get fairly **** fees for our players compared to some of the crazy prices flying around. No way we're getting 40m plus Yaya á la Ibrahimovic. But it is what we should be looking for in the event of a sale happening.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling all of this is coming from Guillem Balague!

The key with the Guardian article is the ",say reports" bit.

playa3 wrote: »
    Yeah we always tend to get fairly **** fees for our players compared to some of the crazy prices flying around. No way we're getting 40m plus Yaya á la Ibrahimovic. But it is what we should be looking for in the event of a sale happening.

It's his age that should make the fee absolutely huge. How many 'one of the best players in the world' have ever been sold at such a young age? He's got another 10 years at the top ahead of him. In theory he should be worth an absolute fúck load of money, but it's not going to work out that way.

I have a feeling all of this is coming from Guillem Balague!

The key with the Guardian article is the ",say reports" bit.

It is coming from Balague. The reports stem from an article he wrote for AS

Edit: lol, Google translates the title as "Fabregas tells Wenger to be Barca". Easier said than done Google!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

If it's coming from Balague and in relation to Fabregas you can be sure that it's true.

Who could blame Fabregas anyways?

Would Arsenal take Henry as part of the deal if offered?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement