Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Who's up for a mass suicide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm going to play football now and I'm hoping when I get a chance to log on again Cesc will be pictured pissing on a Barca shirt and proclaiming his undying loyalty to Arsenal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

28DaysLaterEndIsNigh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

Me. I can see it now, we'll sell him for about 30 mill, and sign some plugger like Melo for most of that.

Depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I think the thing im most upset about us cesc loves the club, and we didn't give him the platform to perform he deserves to be at.

In terms of football ability and the person himself he DESERVES to be at barca winning everything he can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'd say he's had a feeling for a while.

i'm going to guess part of that meeting may have been to seek assurances as to how the team was going to compete.

and the answers weren't to his liking, but possibly what he expected.

you did well to keep him for the last couple of years. i think he's just gotten impatient with the 'waiting for the kids' tactic.

it's a pity, but he obviously doesn't see you competing. for your sake, i hope the team doesn't take that as a hammer blow to their confidence.

actually, most importantly, i hope VP doesn't take that as his cue.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'd say he's had a feeling for a while.

i'm going to guess part of that meeting may have been to seek assurances as to how the team was going to compete.

and the answers weren't to his liking, but possibly what he expected.

you did well to keep him for the last couple of years. i think he's just gotten impatient with the 'waiting for the kids' tactic.

it's a pity, but he obviously doesn't see you competing. for your sake, i hope the team doesn't take that as a hammer blow to their confidence.

actually, most importantly, i hope VP doesn't take that as his cue.
    Yup, and the cycle begins again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The only scenario in which I would be happy to Cesc go is if we got 50+ Million for him and that was reinvested straight away into the team, firstly to get his replacement and then to fill the obvious holes in the squad.

That wont happen.

We'll sell him for 30 Million, buy one or two other mediocre players and this time next year we'll be having the same conversation about whether or not Van Persie will leave.

Depressing.

One last point from me as im logging off. All song lyrics seem to relate to cesc i imagine this will how i feel when my girlfriend and i break up :D

I would care alot less about this transfer if i knew Aaron Ramsey was fit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I think the thing im most upset about us cesc loves the club, and we didn't give him the platform to perform he deserves to be at.

In terms of football ability and the person himself he DESERVES to be at barca winning everything he can.

thats bs.arsene wenger took him from barca when he couldnt get into the team and gave him a place in a title winning team as a 17 year old.

arsenal gave him the chance when noone would not even his beloved barca.im not buying into the we owe him anything.he owes us.

• Advertisement

One last point from me as im logging off. All song lyrics seem to relate to cesc i imagine this will how i feel when my girlfriend and i break up :D

I would care alot less about this transfer if i knew Aaron Ramsey was fit....

No, man-love hurts far more!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

As I said, I think it will be a great loss for the premiership too.

Mourinho gone, Ronaldo gone, Cesc to go (even if somehow he didn't go this season, he's gone anyway).

Fergie managed to keep Ronaldo another season and it paid off as he already had a title winning team.

No offence to Arsenal but they don't look like winning the Premiership anytime soon or any other cups. The clubs around them are all getting stronger, Chelsea looked a lot stronger towards the end and they will spend big too I think. Arsenal just fold towards the end of the season usually. Every season there is talk of Arsenal dropping out of teh top 4 only this seaosn it was Liverpool. They lost Alonso and unless some other players really step it up, it could be a different top 4 altogether next season.

For Henry, it was the right time to go. He wasn't getting any younger, Viera was the same.

Didn't Viera even say recently that he should have left for Madrid because he felt he missed out.

Cesc, I think he see's that the Premiership is getting tougher and if he wants trophies, best place for him would be Barca. He is relied on too much at Arsenal. Van P seems to be made of glass too at times. At least in Spain, the competition for Trophies would only really be between them and Real. Real are an unstable club with to many in and outs, manager changes with another change probably on the cards while Barca seem to have more structure and seem more settled with on a tweek or 2 being done per season.

Makes ya wonder too, is the Premiership becoming less attractive to some of the best players out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I'll believe it when I see it, which hopefully I won't.....:(
    Stupid Arsenal.
    Instead of building on and improving, yet again, we take (what feels like at this moment in time anyway) a step backwards.

screw it, blame Almunia.

i don't know how, but it's his fault.

screw it, blame Almunia.

i don't know how, but it's his fault.
    If he hadn't made a total balls of Phillips' shot at Brum then... who knows. Forks in the road.

For me, this summer is Wenger's last chance to get it right.

Just wondering, even if Fabregas stays another season which if he does, I would certainly think it could be his last, how far do you think Arsenal could go.

What do you think they would actually win next season?

If he hadn't made a total balls of Phillips' shot at Brum then... who knows. Forks in the road.

For me, this summer is Wenger's last chance to get it right.

For the first time ever, I agree, if Wenger doesn't make serious moves in transfer market this summer I will have lost all faith in the man. We wont win a sausage next year without Cesc if he doesn't find a suitable replacement for him and the other BUFOONS at the club, we all know who they are.

That is of course if Cesc leaves...

Just wondering, even if Fabregas stays another season which if he does, I would certainly think it could be his last, how far do you think Arsenal could go.

What do you think they would actually win next season?

At the moment, nothing.

I think we're all waiting with baited breath on what the summer brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

How long is left on Fabregas's contract?

Would be a key factor in determining how much money he would fetch.

How long is left on Fabregas's contract?

Would be a key factor in determining how much money he would fetch.

expires 2014

• Advertisement

if Wenger leaves, you're asking for the club structure, which has been steadily built over the last decade, to possibly fall apart.

nobody else could do what Wenger has done with the money he's had to spend. nobody.

is it the owners not spending transfer money or Wenger?

because if it's the owners, bringing in a new manager will do nothing but hurt the club.

if it's Wenger, well then fans have a choice to make. do you get someone in who will spend the necessary money, or keep going with stability and hoping Wenger does eventually get the right mix.

FearDark wrote: »
    For the first time ever, I agree, if Wenger doesn't make serious moves in transfer market this summer I will have lost all faith in the man. We wont win a sausage next year without Cesc if he doesn't find a suitable replacement for him and the other BUFOONS at the club, we all know who they are.

That is of course if Cesc leaves...

Just wondering on what's highlighted there.

Is it a case that Arsene isn't spending or is it that the club are not making serious funds available?

If it is a case of the club holding back, harsh to blame Asrene on that no?

Just if someone can clear it up for me whether it's the club reserving the funds or Arsene himself. Does anyone know for sure?

if Wenger leaves, you're asking for the club structure, which has been steadily built over the last decade, to possibly fall apart.

nobody else could do what Wenger has done with the money he's had to spend. nobody.

is it the owners not spending transfer money or Wenger?

because if it's the owners, bringing in a new manager will do nothing but hurt the club.

if it's Wenger, well then fans have a choice to make. do you get someone in who will spend the necessary money, or keep going with stability and hoping Wenger does eventually get the right mix.

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth there.

thats bs.arsene wenger took him from barca when he couldnt get into the team and gave him a place in a title winning team as a 17 year old.

arsenal gave him the chance when noone would not even his beloved barca.im not buying into the we owe him anything.he owes us.

I think we signed him as a 15 year old as he was 16 and 100 less days when he scored his first goal. That was league cup. He was either 15 or just 16.

So for him to expect to get into the team at that age is laughable. We poached cesc, we didn't offer him first team football it was injurys to gilberto, flam and vieria that got cesc his birth of fire in 2004/2005. Arsenal gave him the chance... through luck of other players getting injured. His "beloved barca" would of weened him in gradually over the 2005/2006 season imo.

I totally disagree with your last point also. We owe him anything.. if there is even the smallest thing Arsenal F.C can do to keep him here for another season or two then we should do it and do it with 100% commitment to it happening. The fact you think cesc owes us is laughable. For the person he is all he owes us his the truth and for him not to act on like ronaldo or any other footballer.

We have money, it's plain as day to see. The club is one of the richest in the world but it operates like it is West Brom.

expires 2014

Feck it - tell him he's not going to Barcelona and if he doesn't like it he can play with the reserves. Then let him go on a free in 2014.

4 seasons at £10m per season = £40m

The club should play hardball but rarely does so.

Look at Bayern - told Madrid last season they wanted €100m for Ribery. Madrid pulled out, and Bayern were left with the terrible scourge of a player who wanted to leave. It all came crumbling down for them... wait...

We have money, it's plain as day to see. The club is one of the richest in the world but it operates like it is West Brom.

well then you have a choice to make.

get someone in who won't mind putting you into a bit of debt for the sake of success, or continue to try do what you're doing and rely on Wenger's brilliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

barca are paying 28m and will throw in yaya toure
    wenger knows thats about as good as its gonna get
    no point in embarrassing urself trying to fight this inevitability

• Advertisement

Look at Bayern - told Madrid last season they wanted €100m for Ribery. Madrid pulled out, and Bayern were left with the terrible scourge of a player who wanted to leave. It all came crumbling down for them... wait...

Or with Ronaldo, kept him again and then accepted a world record fee.

Leaving him in the reserves as someone mentioned wouldn't be of any use to anyone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Yeah, but it probably wasn't so hard for Ribery to get on with it as Bayern were always likely to win trophies as well as signing one of the most exciting/best players in the world in Robben.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Yeah, but it probably wasn't so hard for Ribery to get on with it as Bayern were always likely to win trophies as well as signing one of the most exciting/best players in the world in Robben.
    This is what Arsenal should be doing.

What we should do is ask for a ridiculous fee and hope we either get it or get to keep Cesc for another season and get a big fee next season. I can't see that happening though, I really don't see us keeping a player who doesn't want to be there.

conno16 wrote: »
    wenger knows thats about as good as its gonna get

If you and you're good mate wenger think 28million and yaya toure is the best we're going to get then you're the one that's embarrassing urself ;)

who says?

whose doing that?

Arsenal fans seem pretty universal in accepting their fate.

• Advertisement

Or with Ronaldo, kept him again and then accepted a world record fee.

Leaving him in the reserves as someone mentioned wouldn't be of any use to anyone either.

I'm not actually suggesting playing him in the reserves but just tell him - Sorry Cesc, you signed a contract until 2014, we intend to hold you to that contract. If you didn't intend to stay until 2014 you shouldn't have signed that contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Laporta would end up just doing a Fergie with Berbatov. It doesn't matter 'bout the contract, just meet him at the airport and a black sack over the head. Next thing you know, he's a Barca player!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

This is what Arsenal should be doing.

True, but Wenger doesn't seem to like proven players.

I'm not actually suggesting playing him in the reserves but just tell him - Sorry Cesc, you signed a contract until 2014, we intend to hold you to that contract. If you didn't intend to stay until 2014 you shouldn't have signed that contract.

The contracts means nothing these days anyway. The contracts work but for the club and the player.

Player gets injured for a long time, he's still paid. The clubs extend contracts all teh time in order to increase players sell on values. They also change or make players sign contract extensions when they are reward them by putting them on higher salaries due to the players performances imporving.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    True, but Wenger doesn't seem to like proven players.
    Well, something is going to have to give sooner or later.

• Advertisement

I think we signed him as a 15 year old as he was 16 and 100 less days when he scored his first goal. That was league cup. He was either 15 or just 16.

So for him to expect to get into the team at that age is laughable. We poached cesc, we didn't offer him first team football it was injurys to gilberto, flam and vieria that got cesc his birth of fire in 2004/2005. Arsenal gave him the chance... through luck of other players getting injured. His "beloved barca" would of weened him in gradually over the 2005/2006 season imo.

I totally disagree with your last point also. We owe him anything.. if there is even the smallest thing Arsenal F.C can do to keep him here for another season or two then we should do it and do it with 100% commitment to it happening. The fact you think cesc owes us is laughable. For the person he is all he owes us his the truth and for him not to act on like ronaldo or any other footballer.

so you wanna keep him another season even if you knew his heart isnt in it.screw that your making out like arsenal fc wont go on if cesc leaves.

and tell me why the club owe him?what has he done to justify a club like arsenal owe him something.fact is if barca really rated him they would have at least loaned him or had some sort of clause but they didnt and it resulted in wenger and arsenal giving hin his chance.

and your comment about wenger "poaching" suggests you think there was something wrong in taking him from barca who are the worst club for conducting themselves off the pitch.i would even say worst than real,absolute no respect for any club.if all this turns out to be true surely they tapped up cesc no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Bye bye Cesc!

Enjoy the Europa League lads:D

so you wanna keep him another season even if you knew his heart isnt in it.screw that your making out like arsenal fc wont go on if cesc leaves.

and tell me why the club owe him?what has he done to justify a club like arsenal owe him something.fact is if barca really rated him they would have at least loaned him or had some sort of clause but they didnt and it resulted in wenger and arsenal giving hin his chance.

and your comment about wenger "poaching" suggests you think there was something wrong in taking him from barca who are the worst club for conducting themselves off the pitch.i would even say worst than real,absolute no respect for any club.if all this turns out to be true surely they tapped up cesc no?

I didn’t say that however I KNOW that cesc would give 100% commitment to arsenal if he did stay next season. There is no questioning his heart at all it’s in the right place and he is arsenal to the core.
    We owe fabregas everything because lets face facts he has put arse’s in the seats. He has gotten people interested. The main reason I went to a match aside from the fact I support them was so I can say I’ve seen cesc fabregas play live.

Poaching.. that’s what we done in a fair way as I believe he had not signed professional terms with barca at the time. Poaching, snatching, extended borrowing whatever you want to call it :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Because Barca are the only club in for him, they're the only club he wants to go to. Thus Barca had an advantage and can pay under the odds for him.

dont know about that, look at Ronaldo last year. he only wanted to go to madrid yet they were still made to pay £80m

Bye bye Cesc!

Enjoy the Europa League lads:D

Chelsea would want to watch out ;)

Cesc can thank Wenger for giving him an opportunity before many others would have done.

Which meant he was playing for Spain long before he would have been doing, hence going to the World Cup at 18/19, and winning the Euro's, which he very well might not have done had he not joined us.

Though he could have gone to any club and his talent would have been realised eventually, probably later on. We just made it happen sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

L'prof wrote: »
    Chelsea would want to watch out ;)

Iv been discovered :pac:

Oh, and I think one potential good thing that could come out of this is if we got Yaya or a similar player and reverted to a more pre-2005 style counter-attacking Arsenal football. We'd probably be hopeless in Europe again but we might start winning things domestically again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

I for one wish Cesc all the best if he does decide to leave. He's been a fantastic player for us but he wants to win trophy's and unfortunately Arsenal won't win any of those any time soon unless Wenger buys a new defence and goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If he does go, what would have Wenger said to him in that meeting, or when he does talk to him?

Would he have just been honest and said were not getting many new players, or try to spin things and have pleaded with him?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement