Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If Barca throw in Messi and some cash then I might be happy.

Can't see how he can be replaced and I think the rumoured 40 million is low considering what other lesser players have gone for recently. I was hoping he would stay on for a year or 2 until Wilshere is ready, he looks the most promising replacement for Cesc but not just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

40M is being bandied about a bit. I can only hope that includes Yaya on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wow, I've never seen the thread so busy!

40m is the very least we should get, considering his age. If he goes, we'll survive. We were being written off everywhere when Henry left and we very nearly won the league the next season.

Wenger is to blame here though, his refusal to back down on transfer policy is a big factor here obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think Im just getting accustomed to disappointment when it comes to Arsenal. BAD way to be :(

I honestly don't think it's as bad as some fans are making out.

Fabregas is fantastic but no player is bigger than the club. I still think Arsenal will finish top 4 next year again. They may even do better if they make a few good signings with the Fabregas money.

The only worrying thing is the supposed meeting he had with Wenger and his disapointment at the players coming in.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think it's as bad as some fans are making out.

Fabregas is fantastic but no player is bigger than the club. I still think Arsenal will finish top 4 next year again. They may even do better if they make a few good signings with the Fabregas money.

The only worrying thing is the supposed meeting he had with Wenger and his disapointment at the players coming in.

If such a meeting did take place then these two opints are intrisically linked. If Fab is leaving because of that I can only imagine it is because there is not the right players coming in, which makes me worry that we might not be seeing a new keeper.

Also I can't see any of the Fabregas money being put back into the team.
    After all Djourou and Ramsey will be like new signings.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Frisbee wrote: »
    If such a meeting did take place then these two opints are intrisically linked. If Fab is leaving because of that I can only imagine it is because there is not the right players coming in, which makes me worry that we might not be seeing a new keeper.

Also I can't see any of the Fabregas money being put back into the team.
    After all Djourou and Ramsey will be like new signings.....

Could be the case. Trying to look at the positives maybe Fabregas only had the meeting to save face, maybe he was dead set on leaving anyway and Wengers signings seem okay but just not mental money signings.

If they do get Toure it's an excellent aquisition anyway and the type of player Arsenal have sorely been missing.

I'd be happy to get Yaya as then we would have 2/3 of a good midfield three for the 4-3-3.

The Clogger (Song)
    The Box-to-Box (YaYa)
    The Good One (?)

Ramsey will be filling that void imo eventually, but not next season, next season he's a write off imo.

Nasri can play there, and has done. However when he has he's not been great.
    Diaby is too inconsistent.
    Rosicky is made of damp toilet paper.
    Denilson not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

What about van der Vaart? From what I read he's surplus at Real.

keano_afc wrote: »
    What about van der Vaart? From what I read he's surplus at Real.

He'd be a good signing but Cesc leaving is going to kill us purchase wise.
    I really really can't see Wenger bringing in more than two players. Chamakh is a done deal so that's one more and we already have glaring weaknesses at goalkeeper and centre back, both of which are in big need of strengthening.

So unfortunately I can't see Wenger going and buying:

GK
    CB
    CM
    Chamakh.

We'll get half what we need and suffer accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Fabregas has what, 4 years left on his contract? If Barcelona do not offer a huge sum for him then they should be told to get bent. This is the outgoing presidents present to the Barcelona supporters so if he is desperate enough to do this deal he will cough up.

If Fabregas goes for peanuts (£30 million) then there is something seriously wrong at Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'd be happy to get Yaya as then we would have 2/3 of a good midfield three for the 4-3-3.

The Box-to-Box (YaYa)
    we already have glaring weaknesses at centre back,
    So unfortunately I can't see Wenger going and buying:

GK
    CB
    CM
    Chamakh.

A big positive of Yaya Toure, should he go as part of the Fabregas deal is that he is an excellent box to box mindfielder, an excellent holding DM and a more than capable centre half (see last years CL final).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

this is getting all too familiar,maybe we should buy some english players that will stay loyal.just look at fergie at united,giggs scholes neville ferdinand etc.they stay loyal.

we faced this problem with vieira overmars hleb henry etc.all these players wanted to move to spanish giants,

whats the odds nasri has a stormer next season then says he always dreamed of playing for real,and what do you know he is off.i just think if we had some british players it might give us that bit of loyalty.

gimmick wrote: »
    A big positive of Yaya Toure, should he go as part of the Fabregas deal is that he is an excellent box to box mindfielder, an excellent holding DM and a more than capable centre half (see last years CL final).

I meant to address this too but I actually had to do some work... :pac:

Yaya would be great as he can play in the middle, give Song competition for his place and cover at CB if needs be.

Even though he can play at CB, I'd rather see us bring in an out and out CB so we don't end up haveing to play Campbell and Silvestre at the same time ever ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Some hopeful news just on SSN there.

Barcelona director Txixiksxixi Begiristain says that although they'd love to bring in Fabregas, they have to respect the contract he has with Arsenal. They read out all he had to say, and tbh, it sounded like the move is more likely to take place next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I suggest people here have a read of todays Arseblog. He highlights how creative journalism has blown this story out of all proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Out of interest, anyone care to pull together a few statistics about our results with Cesc and without over the last two years?

Considering;

He's missed a chunk of both seasons
    [ii] He was the main man for us both seasons
    [iii] The team is largely unchanged over those last two seasons

I'd do it but I'm at work....

Archimedes wrote: »
    They read out all he had to say, and tbh, it sounded like the move is more likely to take place next summer.

I can handle that. I've even accepted it will happen.

So how about Yaya this year.

Next year we give Barca Cesc and they give us 40M?

Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I can handle that. I've even accepted it will happen.

So how about Yaya this year.

Next year we give Barca Cesc and they give us 40M?

Deal.

Like the sounds of that.. but, and it's a big but, what happens if we win a whole pile of trophies next year? For the sake of it, say we somehow win the treble? Not sure if Cesc would be so keen on leaving then. So can't see Barca agreeing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

we should move heaven and earth for wesley sniejder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

cson wrote: »
    Out of interest, anyone care to pull together a few statistics about our results with Cesc and without over the last two years?

Considering;

He's missed a chunk of both seasons
    [ii] He was the main man for us both seasons
    [iii] The team is largely unchanged over those last two seasons

I'd do it but I'm at work....
    And your working very hard I see.:pac:And before you fire one back at me Im off today.:D
    Im a Man United fan and not up for digging up statistics but personally I think without Fabregas ye have always been an inferior team than with him simple as!If he goes this summer he will obviously be a big loss to the team.
    The reality is Arsenal are a selling club eg.Overmars,Petit,Vieria,Henry,Cole etc(dont bother saying that they were past there prime Im having none of it:rolleyes:).This means that ye may always stay in the green but unfortunately it wont fill your trophy cabinet.(1 F.A. cup in 5 seasons of football:cool:)
    After Xavi of Barca I see Fabregas as the next best creative midfielder in world football today!More than likely Cesc will leave the club next year if not this summer(which its looking more and more likely)before the World cup.Then we will see Wenger sign up some unknown south american and build him up to be the next big star.:rolleyes:Heres my advice;sack Wenger,stop selling off your best players and sign homegrown talent!

Sútalún wrote: »
    Like the sounds of that.. but, and it's a big but, what happens if we win a whole pile of trophies next year? For the sake of it, say we somehow win the treble? Not sure if Cesc would be so keen on leaving then. So can't see Barca agreeing to it.
    One measley FA Cup in 5 seasons!;)Ya best of luck with that.:)

One measley FA Cup in 5 seasons!;)Ya best of luck with that.:)

So because we've only won one trophy in the last 5 seasons we'll never win a trophy again?

cremeegg wrote: »
    we should move heaven and earth for wesley sniejder
    Give me one reason Sniejder would even consider moving to Arsenal!:cool:
    Come on just one!!:rolleyes:

So because we've only won one trophy in the last 5 seasons we'll never win a trophy again?
    No I wouldnt say that but I think its highly unlikly that with that same team that did only win 1 fa cup(and now minus Fabregas;))that ye will come along next year and do the clean sweep of titles!:cool:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Clogger (Song)
    The Box-to-Box (YaYa)
    The Good One (?)

Ramsey will be filling that void imo eventually, but not next season, next season he's a write off imo.

Nasri can play there, and has done. However when he has he's not been great.
    Diaby is too inconsistent.
    Rosicky is made of damp toilet paper.
    Denilson not up to it.
    Cesc is the main reason we play 4-3-3. If he goes, so should the formation.

• Advertisement

No I wouldnt say that but I think its highly unlikly that with that same team that did only win 1 fa cup(and now minus Fabregas;))that ye will come along next year and do the clean sweep of titles!:cool:

Your name is apt, grow up will ya. You don't know what you're talking about. A load of smiley faces don't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not that a departing Cesc won't be a big loss, but I've often thought about how much better Arsenal would have been throughout Wenger's reign with an Ibrahimovic style, traditional centre-forward. For both crosses and hold-up play. The key will be to get him early ball before defences get into shape. He could be a seriously good player for you.

Your name is apt, grow up will ya. You don't know what you're talking about. A load of smiley faces don't change that.
    Dont worry I know what Im talking about alright.I was simply just responding to a comment that Arsenal may surprise us all and come along and win the treble next year.All Im saying is that I cant see that happening especially if Fabregas leaves this summer.Now you grow up and reply properly instead of trying to gather "thanks" from the other Arsenal fans.:)

Your aware the team that won that FA Cup, infact the squad, is completely different than the team we have now right?

Cesc and Clichy were the only one's who were in that team.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not that a departing Cesc won't be a big loss, but I've often thought about how much better Arsenal would have been throughout Wenger's reign with an Ibrahimovic style, traditional centre-forward. For both crosses and hold-up play. The key will be to get him early ball before defences get into shape. He could be a seriously good player for you.
    We couldn't possibly afford Ibrahimovic. He'd have to half his wages.

• Advertisement

We couldn't possibly afford Ibrahimovic. He'd have to half his wages.

And then have them halved again my the UK tax man.

Dont worry I know what Im talking about alright.I was simply just responding to a comment that Arsenal may surprise us all and come along and win the treble next year.All Im saying is that I cant see that happening especially if Fabregas leaves this summer.Now you grow up and reply properly instead of trying to gather "thanks" from the other Arsenal fans.:)

Yeah cos that's exactly what I was doing. All you're doing was trying to wind us up. I was talking about a hypothetical situation, I never said we'd win the treble next season. I even said myself I can't see it happening. So try and read next time..

Your aware the team that won that FA Cup, infact the squad, is completely different than the team we have now right?

Cesc and Clichy were the only one's who were in that team.
    Alright ya but thats the last time ye won something and the current team has won nilch!Therefore my point stands if I change that to the last 3 years where ye won nothing!

I wouldn't argue that we aren't a selling club; plainly we are. We've effectively been a feeder club for Barcelona for the past few seasons! However Arsene is very talented at knowing when to sell a player and we've done alright this way.

You mention that we have the same team since 2005, I believe in your post? Do yourself and us in here a favour and have a read through the squad list from the 04/05 Season and the 09/10 Season. I'd hazard a guess that there are maybe 5 players still with us from that FA Cup winning side. I welcome the views of other fans in here but I would appreciate if you at least educate yourself in the subject matter before offering an opinion based on something like the above.

I think the decision for Arsenal fans is would we like to heavily indebt the club to seek success? We've suffered financially through building the stadium but the result of the Wenger years has been a vastly improved club; in terms of standard of play, infrastructure and finances. It won't take too long to pay off the Emirates loan afaik and then we're relatively debt free compared to Manchester United or Liverpool. Can we compete with Abramovich's interest free directors loans to Chelsea? I think no, nor should we attempt to. It's unsustainable. I would rather we had a well run club in the upper echelons of the Premier League than take a chance and go for broke.

Arsenal have never been a megabucks transfer type of club either we have never spent the likes of Manchester United's £30m on Berbatov, Chelsea's £30m on Shevchenko or even Liverpool's £25m on Torres. Our most expensive recent purchase was José Reyes whose fee was estimated to rise to £18m depending on how well we did iirc. He likely cost us about £12m in total.

Yet we still continue to compete with the above clubs. How? Well put simply; Arsene Wenger. The man has his faults but we as Arsenal fans can only accept that we are where we are because of this man and to get rid of him would be footballing suicide. He'll go when he's ready.

And then have them halved again my the UK tax man.
    I factored that in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Alright ya but thats the last time ye won something and the current team has won nilch!Therefore my point stands if I change that to the last 3 years where ye won nothing!

Have you anything constructive to add or are you only here to wind people up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just so you know - cos you're new - that sunglasses smiley is laaaaaaaaaame.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Have you anything constructive to add or are you only here to wind people up?

Think he got a day off school today..

I was rather upbeat about Fabregas leaving/possible replacements yesterday. Completely changed today though. Wenger said himself he'd have one player before the world cup, which is Chamack. Just can't see him completely changing his prior principles and bringing in 4/5 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Neil3030 wrote: »

Ibrahimovic style != traditional centre-forward

Yaya isn't interested in coming to Arsenal apparently. £70m for a deal then so!

• Advertisement

Yaya isn't interested in coming to Arsenal apparently. £70m for a deal then so!

Unlucky Barca, not a penny less than 50 so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have a feeling Cesc will stay, put a small bet on at 3.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think it beyond the realms of possibility. He has 4 years left on his deal, Arsenal could just say no, not until next summer. I'd like to think he'd still play to this best of his ability and Arsenal would get a similar transfer fee next summer anyway. I mean if Barca were only offering £35m I'd tell them where to go.

L'prof wrote: »
    I have a feeling Cesc will stay, put a small bet on at 3.8.

Where?

I can't see it on PP. Is it on Betfair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Where?

I can't see it on PP. Is it on Betfair?

Yeah, betfair.

All over that like a bad rash. Serious value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Right just ordered one of these lads, its a top quality arsenal nike hoody and only 19 bucks. Just posting this as I thought it was serious value.

Its got A R S E N A L written across the back too, its pretty cool.

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Nike%20Arsenal%20FC%2009%20Hoody%20Red/207169/0000000075

Oh they accept normal bank/laser cards too, sweet.

FearDark wrote: »
    Right just ordered one of these lads, its a top quality arsenal nike hoody and only 19 bucks. Just posting this as I thought it was serious value.

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Nike%20Arsenal%20FC%2009%20Hoody%20Red/207169/0000000075

Not bad at all.. How much did you have to pay for postage!? Are they same price in the shops do ya know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Not bad at all.. How much did you have to pay for postage!? Are they same price in the shops do ya know?

I havn't a clue about postage I didn't personally order it but they were definately in Elvereys in Limerick during the week at the same price, have the same top in the navy colour and it cost me 54 euros last year. Really nice top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

FearDark wrote: »

Perfect for terrorising phil brown and brian horton with:D

sigh, why is everything reminding me of Fabregas? It's like he's dead..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement