Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ITKey stuff from le-grove.co.uk:
    You can take it or leave it, but after 3 years of blogging and sorting people out with tickets you build a nice little network of contacts. I know some good people that give me little snippets every now and then. One of those contacts spoke with me last night. He’s not involved in the Cesc deal but works in agent circles. According to what he’s been hearing, Cesc is aware that he is tied down to a massive contract and in a David Villa style show of… err… loyalty? He is fully accepting that if Barca don’t bid what we want for him, we wont let him go.

So basically we don’t have a sulky brat player on our hands. Which is good news because that means we’ll get the best deal. Cesc wont hand in a transfer request because if he does, he’ll lose out on his 10% cut. Barcelona wont be able to afford him if he doesn’t ask to leave because there is NO WAY WE’LL SELL OUR STAR MAN FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN £50million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Typical madrid play, unsettle the player first, had big respect for united the way they held out with ronaldo, loved the "that crowd, i would'nt sell them a virus" quote. I think if it was other players, they'd throw a strop and give an ultimatum, as much as i dislike ronaldo, he did'nt throw a strop otherwise united would'nt have got near that money, have to respect him for that. We're lucky in that fabs will probably do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Still no official approach from Barcelona about Cesc, according to the latest reports. We've now had Pique join Xavi in offering his thoughts on the deal. Barca are getting as bad as Real Madrid frankly.

I also wonder how can they afford to sign Villa and then talk about Cesc when they're already in the region of €400m in debt.

Oh, according to John Cross, Arsenal have said that Cesc's contract runs to 2015 - not 2014 as previously thought.

Yeah I saw that too. We really would be getting fleeced if we accepted any bid less than £50/60m.

Slightly more promising noises coming from the press in general today though. Apart from the whole Yaya not wanting to go to Arsenal stuff. He really would be a great signing for our midfield whatever happens with Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Paleface wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever watched the Charlie Brooker series Newswipe?
    Great show.

Not being a smartarse but he also writes for the Guardian.

'Rag' it ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Not being a smartarse but he also writes for the Guardian.

I was aware of that but felt the need to highlight his series anyway. I don't know of anyone else who has dissected today's news industry like he did in that series.

At the time I meant that if the Cesc story turns out to be false then they have gotten it wrong.

It would appear to me now that they are just reporting what Barcelona are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Cesc IMO will not leave yet, and if he does it better not be for 35 million.
    There will be fcuking war if he does, first plan is to call up my good pal Thierry and make a master plan to kidnap Messi. Messi will then be locked up in a basement with an old leather football, YES an old leather football (the ones that are similar to bricks), too scary for TV, he will be told to do 1000 volleys with it.

If he does he will live, and probably live a happy life.... Probably.
    If he doesn't he will be forced to put on an Arsenal Jersey, the Emirates will then have 500ft walls around it with only a select group of fans allocated tickets. Thats how it will pan out, watch this space.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Cesc IMO will not leave yet, and if he does it better not be for 35 million.
    There will be fcuking war if he does, first plan is to call up my good pal Thierry and make a master plan to kidnap Messi. Messi will then be locked up in a basement with an old leather football, YES an old leather football (the ones that are similar to bricks), too scary for TV, he will be told to do 1000 volleys with it.

If he does he will live, and probably live a happy life.... Probably.
    If he doesn't he will be forced to put on an Arsenal Jersey, the Emirates will then have 500ft walls around it with only a select group of fans allocated tickets. Thats how it will pan out, watch this space.

I see a problem...

away games.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I see a problem...

away games.
    Thierry will get back to me ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Those quote from le-grove are quite reassuring and make me happy cesc is the type of player i hoped he was.

Wont be changing my pin though :D. C.E.S.C

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Those quote from le-grove are quite reassuring and make me happy cesc is the type of player i hoped he was.

Wont be changing my pin though :D. C.E.S.C
    *Goes into phone settings changes pin to 2372. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

is anyone finding this whole thing draining ?:(. I hate the papers :mad:..

Its so hard to know whats going on. Whats fact like? What do we know for sure happened? His sisters twitter is kind of comforting...

Did anyone else find the goal of the season vid on Arsenal tv online hard to watch? The goals against spurs and kissing the badge how could I be lead on so easily!!

I really like this in the football365.com mailbox
    Hola Senor Fabregas...
    I am sick of hearing you and other Arsenal want-aways p***ing and moaning about M. Wenger not proving the club's ambition by spending big on players. Really boys? Then what are you exactly? Not as good or as big as those other players Wenger should be buying? When are you going to stop whining and start winning? All of you, and especially you Senor Fabregas, owe Arsenal fans a trophy.

Wenger's given us trophies. He's earned our patience and respect. How about you (and the 2005 FA Cup doesn't count. You were incidental)?

No. Instead, when Arsenal are really truly on the cusp you are going to take your barely adult self (where's your patience?) off to Barcelona so you can walk into the 'Best Team in the World' and join a winning squad rather than making yourself a true great by helping to forge a team into winners - by leading a team to trophies. Just like Thierry did (again though, unlike you, he gave us trophies), you're going to go to Barcelona and disappear into the squad. Or maybe not. Maybe you'll prove yourself to be great there after all. But even if you do, you will still have an unpaid debt back in London.

Wenger and the Arsenal gave you a chance to headline a team that wouldn't have come your way at home (at least not for years to come), and you might very easily have disappeared into obscurity without Wenger. But even if that isn't true, you still used Arsenal to hone your craft and if you leave us without any trophies you've let us down. You will be playing at the highest levels for another ten years - three or four more with the Gunners is what the organisation, the fans, and your teammates deserve from you.

I cheer for others who've left the organization, but I won't be cheering for you, and I'm guessing I'm not alone in this.

That letter makes me cringe.

Cesc is by a country mile the best player at the club. He's been running himself into the ground for the team, playing a vast number of games from a young age at the cost of an increasing injury toll. This season in his efforts to bring us the title, he's played through injury not once, but on two seperate occasions; the first time to win us the game almost single handedly against Villa, injuring himself (again) in the process, and the second time to equalise against Barca, despite having a leg fracture that put his WC hopes in jeopardy.

Cesc would be the most decorated 23 year old in the club's history if he had been born five years earlier. It isn't his fault he's stuck in a team that regularly features Manuel Almunia or Lukasz Fabianski, Mikael Silvestre, Emmanuel Eboue, Abou Diaby and Nicklas Bendtner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Maybe it's just the way i think or believe in the players who wear the arsenal jersey.

But i would be embarrassed to have wrote that article or even supported it and questioned cesc...

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

It's confirmed he won't be leaving.

30056_392911876769_275988551769_4576760_1927605_n.jpg

is anyone finding this whole thing draining ?:(. I hate the papers :mad:..

We're used to it almost, we've had overmars, vieira(for too many years), henry, reyes.

that letter makes me sick, some fans are fickle. Not many would have taken a peno or played on with a dodgy leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

imo i think the deal will go thru for cesc in the next few days or in wont be this year. If you get to the world cup and he still isnt gone then id say he is staying for 1 more year.

that said i think it is possible the deal will go thru this week the last reports were the 2 clubs were about 10m apart in the terms of the offer and what arsenal were looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

We're used to it almost, we've had overmars, vieira(for too many years), henry, reyes.

that letter makes me sick, some fans are fickle. Not many would have taken a peno or played on with a dodgy leg.

Yeah, calling him a c*nt is nice and mature.:)

"It is criminal for a player of Cesc's quality not to be winning the biggest prizes in football," said Xavi.

"He really has no choice but to leave. He is making the right decision and I hope Arsenal fans wish him well."
    While Laporta has said some stuff. I'm not sure if it was anything new, he seems to spew on a daily basis.

Wenger needs to have a Fergie-sell-them-a-virus moment.

At least he did'nt come out with the "Its in his DNA" line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Barca have no reason not to pay upwards of 30M now.

They've spent 30 on Villa, a 28 year old striker.

Cesc is 22, they'd want to be giving us a lot more.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Barca have no reason not to pay upwards of 30M now.

They've spent 30 on Villa, a 28 year old striker.

Cesc is 22, they'd want to be giving us a lot more.

They don't have over 30M to spend I suspect. They need to sell to buy and that's not going to happen overnight.

As long as Arsenal's valuation of Cesc is not met he'll remain an Arsenal player and that's they way it should be.

They don't have over 30M to spend I suspect. They need to sell to buy and that's not going to happen overnight.

As long as Arsenal's valuation of Cesc is not met he'll remain an Arsenal player and that's they way it should be.

Well then if they wanted Cesc so bad they should have got their priorities right and made sure to put through a deal for him first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Frisbee wrote: »
    Well then if they wanted Cesc so bad they should have got their priorities right and made sure to put through a deal for him first.

Villa is a more important signing for them than Cesc. Cesc is just a bit of a luxury for them really, which is why I'm not surprised they don't want to spend big money on him.

Villa is a more important signing for them than Cesc. Cesc is just a bit of a luxury for them really, which is why I'm not surprised they don't want to spend big money on him.

See, that's it, they dont need Cesc, they just want him. Which makes it all the more annoying having to listen to them go on and on about him constantly.

If they're not willing to spend big money on him they should really just shut the fcuk up as when you take into account age, ability and potential:

Cesc >>>>>>>>> Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Reports in the rags are saying Barce want to pay 70 million for Torres. How the hell do they think Torres is worth double the value of Fabregas?

I also find it rich how Barcelona reckon they should't have to pay so much for Fabregas since he used to play for them before. Their own fault for not including a buy back clause in the transfer deal.

Barcelona's arrogance in regard to Cesc is really astounding to me.

Should all players who are Catalan just be given to them?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Galvasean wrote: »
    Reports in the rags are saying Barce want to pay 70 million for Torres. How the hell do they think Torres is worth double the value of Fabregas?

Jaysus if they are prepared to offer 70 million for Torres we better up our price to 71 million for Cesc.

Well in all fairness we did steal him from them, they were none too happy when we took him. Van Bronkhorst was basically given to them to keep them quiet. As much as i hate to ay it, it could be called Karma.

Well in all fairness we did steal him from them, they were none too happy when we took him. Van Bronkhorst was basically given to them to keep them quiet. As much as i hate to ay it, it could be called Karma.

I thought Cesc left to further his career with the promise of first team action at Arsenal that he wouldn't have gotten so soon at Barcelona.

He wasn't contracted to them and was free to leave. That's not the case now.

Thats a nice way oif putting it.

We approached him without barca consent(can't sign a pro contract until 17) and his da mysteriously got a job in london so he could move to london and train as a youth. Not sure of the full story, but it was as clean cut as fabergas opting to go to Arsenal and saying goodbye to braca. think they tried the sae with messi at the same time, but he was non-eu so it could'nt happen.

• Advertisement

Didnt we have to pay out his contract (something like 50k)?

Thats a nice way of putting it.

Hey what can I say other than I'm a nice guy!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Didnt we have to pay out his contract (something like 50k)?
    i thought we had to pay 250k compensation, the same as merida.

funkyjebus wrote: »
    i thought we had to pay 250k compensation, the same as merida.

Some say the Gio loan and eventually sale for SFA was our way of saying please don't push this any further, even rumour that we waived a sell on clause for Sylvinho when barca bought him. Barca were furious with us at the time. served them right for stealing petit and Overmars.

So all shady transfer dealings aside, whatever happened to Chamakh?

I thought he was supposed to have been unveiled by now....

I don't think we can officially unveil him until his contract at Bordeaux is officially expired. Should be any day now.

More transfer fluff:

Evening Herald reckon Hleb could come back to Arsenal as part of the Fabregas deal.
    THey also predict a shock bid from us for Joe Cole.

Sol Campbell is being linked with Celtic.

We are linked with Marseilles midfielder Stephane Mbia according to the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

DID YOU NOT HEAR,BARCA ARE TRYING TO POACH HIM TOO:D

http://www.tribalfootball.com/barcelona ... akh-572911

Radio Cadena SER reported last night that Barca want to secure the Morocco international to a pre-contract for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I don't think we can officially unveil him until his contract at Bordeaux is officially expired. Should be any day now.
    his contract is up in june

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

DID YOU NOT HEAR,BARCA ARE TRYING TO POACH HIM TOO:D

http://www.tribalfootball.com/barcelona ... akh-572911

Radio Cadena SER reported last night that Barca want to secure the Morocco international to a pre-contract for next season.

OH FFS!!

OH FFS!!

Lol, that story is from January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

OH FFS!!

christ calm your panties it was a joke in the midst of all this cesc madness:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I had a feeling this was coming today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Jayus me heart was in my mouth when I saw the scroller on BBC

Arsenal have confirmed......

was convinced it would be about Cesc but its not delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gosplan wrote: »
    This year, in an effort to enjoy my summer more, I'm signing off from Arsenal chat. See you guys whenever someone actually leaves or signs.

Welcome Chamakh! I have to admit, I've never known as little about someone we've just signed from a top league as this guy. Looks a nice player though.

I'm particularly clueless on how he'll fit in.

Can he and RVP play in the same team? Does that mean moving RVP out from the centre?

Delighted that I've managed to avoid all the stuff about you-know-who going you-know-where. Saved myself so much time. (and he's obv going to stay for one more year;))

gosplan wrote: »
    Can he and RVP play in the same team? Does that mean moving RVP out from the centre?

I'd imagine he'll play on the right of the front three and share game time with Bendtner/Walcoot out there with himself + Bendtner also competing for the striker position with RVP.

Robin should not be moved from the centre.

Sweet 29. Be getting that on the back of new jersey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Been looking at Chamakh vids all evening, I have a damp patch. The man looks like an Arsenal player already.

I know youtube videos arent really a good way of judging a player but to answer someone elses question - Yes I think he will be perfect to partner Van Persie up front! And we finally have a player that will bust the net with headers from set pieces.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement