Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rosicky didnt score, it was a different Tomas! Wonder will he feature at the weekend at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

keano_afc wrote: »
    Rosicky didnt score, it was a different Tomas! Wonder will he feature at the weekend at all?

Oh sorry, my source of info is going to get a kick in the arse! :)

I really hope so. He was such a loss to the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, anybody else heading to the CC match? Still plenty of tickets available.

I see Cesc scored for Spain too. Guess taht means he'll be nice n' sharp for the Man City game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I've heard a rumour that Arshavin aggravated his injury on international duty.

I'm really hoping its nothing more than a rumour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Dang, apparently sky sports news are reporting that Arshavin will miss the next two games :(

• Advertisement

Feck, he was running the show last ngiht as well. Rosicky the ready made replacement???

keano_afc wrote: »
    Rosicky the ready made replacement???

That would be great, have him on for 60 min or so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Right got that down.
    Now I have my tickets selected and when I click 'ad to basket' nothing happens and it just brings me back to the same page.
    Nothing simple :rolleyes:

edit: got it. gory details later

edit edit: now it wont accept my credit card. 'Please enter valid expiry date' I did! :mad:

edit edit edit: tried another credit card... success! :D
    Have to say, I find the Ticket Hub very temperamental... I feel your pain.
    keano_afc wrote:
    Rosicky the ready made replacement???
    Well the Czech coach was quoted on BBC as saying after last night's game that he expected him to be in the Arsenal squad at the weekend. Hope Arshavin's fit, though at least Cesc came through the break okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's still got it
    Sure Bergkamp still has years in him - I remember seeing Liam Brady chip the keeper from the half-way line in one of the early years of the Masters tournaments... class.

That was before clubs started dredging up super-fit triathletes barely past the cut-off age who once played 14 minutes for them in the League Cup... ruined the tournament completely :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Had two new arrivals during the international break, the awesome new away jersey and Dublin's newest Arsenal fan - Meabh Frances(c) O'Grady.

Will introduce her to the greatest team ever on Saturday afternoon. Hope it's not a poxy stream!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7ovefYLYLL0/Sqlq_PAZBdI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/MwF_8ukFf1U/s1600-h/ScreenHunter_03+Sep.+10+22.06.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gosplan wrote: »
    Had two new arrivals during the international break, the awesome new away jersey and Dublin's newest Arsenal fan - Meabh Frances(c) O'Grady.

Will introduce her to the greatest team ever on Saturday afternoon. Hope it's not a poxy stream!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7ovefYLYLL0/Sqlq_PAZBdI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/MwF_8ukFf1U/s1600-h/ScreenHunter_03+Sep.+10+22.06.gif

congrats dude, atleast if shes going to be forced to follow any team & sport shes getting one that have a quality set up for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

congrats gosplan!

on less happy news, Arshavin is definitely out for the man city and wigan league games and CL against liege, and AW doesn't sound too happy with russia:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8249525.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

This game tomorrow is gonna be watched by lots of people which can make the streams overcrowded and poor.
    I would really like to watch this game without having to curse at my PC for stopping every 5 mins.
    Does anyone know any pub in Dublin that is showing this game from a foreign channel ?

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    This game tomorrow is gonna be watched by lots of people which can make the streams overcrowded and poor.
    I would really like to watch this game without having to curse at my PC for stopping every 5 mins.
    Does anyone know any pub in Dublin that is showing this game from a foreign channel ?

This Pub is where the Arsenal supporters club meet up to watch most the games, its upstairs in the pub. I have watched a few games there, its always good fun cos there are other arsenal fans.

http://www.katescottage-pub.com/

Maybe call them and see if they are showing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

thorbarry wrote: »
    This Pub is where the Arsenal supporters club meet up to watch most the games, its upstairs in the pub. I have watched a few games there, its always good fun cos there are other arsenal fans.

http://www.katescottage-pub.com/

Maybe call them and see if they are showing it?

They aren't showing it in Kates. The Dublin Supporters club will be meeting in the Wool Shed on Parnell St to watch the match. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

They aren't showing it in Kates. The Dublin Supporters club will be meeting in the Wool Shed on Parnell St to watch the match. Enjoy!

To the Woolshed for me so, cheers
    Plus nice bottles of carlton cold are a bonus :pac:

Damnit, I start work at exactly 3 tomorrow.
    Would have been cool to meet up with a few Gooners for a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Damnit, I start work at exactly 3 tomorrow.
    Would have been cool to meet up with a few Gooners for a game.

Come on down the supporters club in Kate whenever you're not working and there's a match on. It's good craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I love it...same shíté season after season. We need a much bigger squad if we're going to seriously compete on all fronts every season and there's a couple who simply aren't good enough. I like Almunia, I do, but when I heard Given wanted to leave I prayed we'd get him. We didn't and Almunia has had an absolute mare so far. Maybe Wenger will spend some of his Jew gold in January when it's too late, doubt it though!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I love it...same shíté season after season. We need a much bigger squad if we're going to seriously compete on all fronts every season and there's a couple who simply aren't good enough. I like Almunia, I do, but when I heard Given wanted to leave I prayed we'd get him. We didn't and Almunia has had an absolute mare so far. Maybe Wenger will spend some of his Jew gold in January when it's too late, doubt it though!

No. Squad size is not an excuse here.

Man City were missing Tevez, Robinho and Santa Cruz. Their last two real strikers were Bellamy and Ade. We had way more chances, hit the post, could have had a penalty etc.

For mew the big issue was poor defending when we were piling forward. Clichy just has to learn that he can't take risks with the ball when there's no one to cover behind him.

Beginning to agree with you about Almunia though - he's stopped making big saves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I dunno is Denilson up to it at the moment.

No. Squad size is not an excuse here.

Man City were missing Tevez, Robinho and Santa Cruz. Their last two real strikers were Bellamy and Ade.

Beginning to agree with you about Almunia though - he's stopped making big saves.

Not here, I know that. At the same time though, while I'm a big fan of Eboue and the effort he puts in, we really should have a better winger than him. Playing Bendtner out right behind the striker makes no sense either, he has worked very hard this year in fairness to him. Denilson & Song? I don't know, I have been impressed this season, but I think we're playing a 5 man midfield to compensate for the fact that maybe they're not quite good enough yet.

All in all, I'd be happy with De Rossi and Bendtner playing as part of a front 2 with Walcott & Rosicky fit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Adeybayor is a disgrace, To have intent to hurt a player, a former teammate and to provoke the fans that sang his name for years who gave him a chance who loved him. I am outraged, hurt and dissapointed..

I hate Cashley I really do but he has taking his stick well and has never went for an Arsenal player, well maybe Fabgregas but Fabgregas was at it to and he defo never provoked the fans...

Is Ade now public enenmy number 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Not here, I know that. At the same time though, while I'm a big fan of Eboue and the effort he puts in, we really should have a better winger than him. Playing Bendtner out right behind the striker makes no sense either, he has worked very hard this year in fairness to him. Denilson & Song? I don't know, I have been impressed this season, but I think we're playing a 5 man midfield to compensate for the fact that maybe they're not quite good enough yet.

All in all, I'd be happy with De Rossi and Bendtner playing as part of a front 2 with Walcott & Rosicky fit :D

Who is De Rossi? Or is that an in-joke?

I still don't rate Bendtner. Watched him closely to see if he's improved since last season. He works hard, gets into good positions, but he still gives the ball away 9 times out of 10. Sometimes he would simply pass straight to a City player, sometimes it was a through ball that never seems to come off for him. Towards the end there was a scramble in City's box following a corner, and he blasted the ball into the stand from six yards. It was wide as it was over and a defender would have been proud of the clearance.

I'm hoping we can get Fabregas, Nasri, Arshavin and Van Persie all fit at the same time for a while, or perhaps Walcott instead of Nasri. Would be a frightening attacking force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Adeybayor is a disgrace, To have intent to hurt a player, a former teammate and to provoke the fans that sang his name for years who gave him a chance who loved him. I am outraged, hurt and dissapointed..

I hate Cashley I really do but he has taking his stick well and has never went for an Arsenal player, well maybe Fabgregas but Fabgregas was at it to and he defo never provoked the fans...

Not an arsenal fan but ye didnt exactly sing his name for years did ye?that be the same fans who made up a mock brochure similar to owens one.not saying what he did was right but dont tell me ye supported him through thick and thin and were disappointed to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I seen the interview with adebayor after the game. He apologised for the celebration. I can understand what he did - there was no need to boo Adebayor last season and having scored against Arsenal it was a great way to prove them wrong! So I can understand the emotion getting to him.

He wasn't asked directly about the incident with Van Persie, however he mentioned that his friend Alex Song, who he said regularly visits Adebayor hous and vice versa, attempted to kick him today. He said there are no friends among opponents on a football pitch!

Looking at the video its hard to see him catching Van Persie on the face. but the attempt to stamp his hand was vicious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Don't blame Adebayor one little bit. Arsenal fans boo him and abuse him when he is wearing the Arsenal jersey, he got his payback. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

CHD wrote: »
    Don't blame Adebayor one little bit. Arsenal fans boo him and abuse him when he is wearing the Arsenal jersey, he got his payback. Fair play.

What about trying to injure two of his former team-mates? Is that fair-play too in your book?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Wreck wrote: »
    What about trying to injure two of his former team-mates? Is that fair-play too in your book?
    Don't blame him for his celebration. Doubt he was unprovoked though. Didn't see the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Adebayor - disgraceful. Is this what we call sport? Apologising after is too late, hope the FA throw the book at him.

Our problem is not with the likes of Bendtner or the depth of squad. Our defence is weak at the moment, lacks some formidable players and is not inspired by Almunia. I never thought he cut it and like previous poster had prayed that we would get Given.

As with last season I think we also lack the confidence. Once we come up against any of the big teams we wobble and take a few games to recover. Wenger needs to spend in Jan though and I fear that if we do not collect some silverware this season that Fabregas is gone and possibly Wenger.

If this happens I think we are in some deep s**te as our squad is made up almost wholly of players who play the Wenger game.

It's a sit and hope season for me.

One of City's goal was offside. We might have had a penalty for handball. Adebayor should have been sent off. We hit the post.

We just don't get any luck in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

One of City's goal was offside. We might have had a penalty for handball. Adebayor should have been sent off. We hit the post.

TBH i was thinking more along these lines too. and although obviously disappointed with the result (and not particularly surprised with ade's antics) i was happily impressed with song and diaby. both of them broke up play well and diaby in particular made some great viera-esque runs out of defence. disappointed with clichy once or twice, particularly his attempted tackle on SWP in the build up to ade's goal... and as per usual was baffled at bendy boots' inclusion ahead of eduardo. as APN said, after often making a decent first effort to get to or win the ball, he way too often gives it away in good positions. simply not good enough in my book. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

im a big arsenal fan and i cant honestly say i blame him.
    ok he said he'd be interested in a move last summer to ac milan or barca
    it didnt happen but the faithful turned on him last season
    ronaldo did the same to man u but the man u fans didnt turn on him and got a good season out of him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

smilerf wrote: »
    ronaldo did the same to man u but the man u fans didnt turn on him and got a good season out of him!!

I can't really agree with you here at all, if you were a big Arsenal fan you wouldn't make excuses for the cnut. Our former top striker just delibratley set out to wind up us the fans and to injury 2 of our best players..How anyone that supports Arsenal can brush that off baffles me.

Its so ****in frustrating..I WANT TROPHIES or even to fulfil our potential..I can't take another year of this..Wigan,West Ham,Fulham and Blackburn before the next internationals lets get 12 points and get back on track...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

That's just it I couldnt agree more, it was just very bad luck at the end of the day. Lets hope we get it back on track sooner rather than later. Also we need to invest heavily in January which is a joke that we're all saying this now as it's a long way away yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

I can't really agree with you here at all, if you were a big Arsenal fan you wouldn't make excuses for the cnut. Our former top striker just delibratley set out to wind up us the fans and to injury 2 of our best players..How anyone that supports Arsenal can brush that off baffles me.

Its so ****in frustrating..I WANT TROPHIES or even to fulfil our potential..I can't take another year of this..Wigan,West Ham,Fulham and Blackburn before the next internationals lets get 12 points and get back on track...
    im just saying there are two sides to every story
    im an big arsenal fan but im honest and unbiased not saying u are biiased but most fans will stick up for their club even when they are in the wrong

Who is De Rossi? Or is that an in-joke?

???
    CHD wrote: »

I can't say I liked the fact that the fans booed him, but he was trying to force his way out of a club that made him a household name, trying anything he could to do it because all he could see was £££ and then when it didn't happen he put in absolutely no effort whatsoever all season. Apparently he cleared some of our corners and made a goal line clearance too. I know there was extra motivation yesterday, but that's not the same player that was at Arsenal last season.

He was booed for his pre season antics and his poor attitude all season, it was harsh but there was reason.

Now it's just going to be tit for tat at every game he plays against us.

Saw one of the referees being interwiewed on Sky Sports News today (bald guy, Dean I think is his name) talking about Adebayor. He said that Adebayor's challenge on van Persie was malicious and he will certainly recieve a ban after the referee views the video. He also said that considering the length Adebayor sprinted to get to the Arsenal fans, it was no accident/rush of blood to the head thing and definately deliberate. Said the FA will decide on whether he gets any additional punishment.

Saw one of the referees being interwiewed on Sky Sports News today (bald guy, Dean I think is his name) talking about Adebayor. He said that Adebayor's challenge on van Persie was malicious and he will certainly recieve a ban after the referee views the video. He also said that considering the length Adebayor sprinted to get to the Arsenal fans, it was no accident/rush of blood to the head thing and definately deliberate. Said the FA will decide on whether he gets any additional punishment.
    Adebayor wrote:

2-3 seconds??? It took much longer than that to run the length of the pitch!

• Advertisement

The guys a di*k but at least he's going to make games against City pretty interesting for a while.

The problem with Adebayor is that he has this weird need to be loved by the fans.

He's the one that keeps bringing it up. He's the one that did a few interviews on the subject. He's the one that did a particularly insulting one about Arsenal fans on the eve of the match. He's the one doing phoney suck up badge kisses straight after trying to engineer a move away and doubling his money instead.

All in all, I think Adebayor was surprised the Arsenal fans turned against him. I think he thought that he could be as mercenary as he wanted about contracts and employment and a simple goal, badge-kiss or pro-Arsenal statement would sort everything out. When it didn't, he took it personally.

As regards my personal opinion on this. Football's a mercenary game these days and you can really go about it however you want but at least be honest about however you're doing it. People aren't fools and realise when they're being played. If you've pissed your fans off then play your way back into their hearts and prove you're worth the big money.

Anyway in other news, found this on a football website today.

"Having conceded to Celtic's only shot on goal at the Emirates, Almunia was to blame when Manchester United went 2-1 ahead with only one shot on goal two weeks ago and did not save any of the four shots on target City produced this weekend."

Perhaps a bit harsh on him re: the Celtic wondergoal and Diaby's own goal but watched highlights of yesterday's match again this morning - he basically walked slowly across the goal before realising too late that he needed to dive. Yeah it was a deceptive looping header but you're the Arsenal no.1 FFS and allegedly good enough for England if you took a passport.

First time posting since the defeat at the weekend. Unfortunately a very similar story to our previous visit to Manchester. I hope Almunia's bad spell doesnt start affecting the back four.

On a positive note, absolutely delighted for Rosicky. Could be a massive player for us this season if he gets any luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'm not an Arsenal fan, even I think he acted in a pretty disgraceful fashion. It was utterly lacking in class and disrespectful in the extreme.

Manchester United fans didnt react to Ronaldo because thay had a successful season by anyone's season and Manchester United received an £80 Million transfer fee for his sale. Everyone won in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The guys a di*k but at least he's going to make games against City pretty interesting for a while.

The problem with Adebayor is that he has this weird need to be loved by the fans.

He's the one that keeps bringing it up. He's the one that did a few interviews on the subject. He's the one that did a particularly insulting one about Arsenal fans on the eve of the match. He's the one doing phoney suck up badge kisses straight after trying to engineer a move away and doubling his money instead.

All in all, I think Adebayor was surprised the Arsenal fans turned against him. I think he thought that he could be as mercenary as he wanted about contracts and employment and a simple goal, badge-kiss or pro-Arsenal statement would sort everything out. When it didn't, he took it personally.

As regards my personal opinion on this. Football's a mercenary game these days and you can really go about it however you want but at least be honest about however you're doing it. People aren't fools and realise when they're being played. If you've pissed your fans off then play your way back into their hearts and prove you're worth the big money.

Anyway in other news, found this on a football website today.

"Having conceded to Celtic's only shot on goal at the Emirates, Almunia was to blame when Manchester United went 2-1 ahead with only one shot on goal two weeks ago and did not save any of the four shots on target City produced this weekend."

Perhaps a bit harsh on him re: the Celtic wondergoal and Diaby's own goal but watched highlights of yesterday's match again this morning - he basically walked slowly across the goal before realising too late that he needed to dive. Yeah it was a deceptive looping header but you're the Arsenal no.1 FFS and allegedly good enough for England if you took a passport.

It was a bit harsh on Almunia. YThe Celtic goal was well taken and the own goal at Old Trafford was a bit of a freak event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Eduardo ban overturned thankgod.
    Can of worms re-closed.
    I must've seen at least 15-20 similiar incidents in the last few weeks and was wondering what FIFA would do.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

I was talking to a friend about this today. A genuine question, don't know if it has been brought up here before. I typed it into google and all I got was this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_has_arsene_wenger_spent_at_arsenal .

Anyone know?

I was talking to a friend about this today. A genuine question, don't know if it has been brought up here before. I typed it into google and all I got was this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_has_arsene_wenger_spent_at_arsenal .

Anyone know?

I posted this near the start of the summer:
    Been looking through a couple of websites and as it stands, not including Senderos to Everton, Wenger has spent (roughly) £28-43m since he arrived in '96. That's £2-3m a year!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well good thing Eduardo's ban was overturned then.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

It's got to the stage now that with Almunia out of the team it will be a positive even if his replacement is only a kid. Time to take your chance Mannone. Oh and I'm also glad Denilson isn't travelling. Give Ramsey a run out Wenger!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement