Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

playa3 wrote: »
    Rumours going around about Hangeland supposedly being on his way to Arsenal and set to have a medical. Can't really find any concrete sources though.

Would be a good signing, though I'm not sure how well he'd cope with our high line.

I wouldn't really fancy him now tbh.

We need a CB more in the Gallas mould, not a taller Verm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Frisbee wrote: »

Aye. Still we'd certainly have enough height with Chamakh and him in the team against the likes of feckin Stoke.

Aye. Still we'd certainly have enough height with Chamakh and him in the team against the likes of feckin Stoke.

Tbf we're not the team of midgets we're portrayed as being.

Diaby, Rosicky, Bendtner, RVP, Djourou and Verm are all reasonably tall. What we need to get in is someone who can read the game well and know what to do when Verm goes challenging for a ball/on a run up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Is Rosicky tall?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Rumours going around about Hangeland supposedly being on his way to Arsenal and set to have a medical. Can't really find any concrete sources though.

Would be a good signing, though I'm not sure how well he'd cope with our high line.

Saw this rumour round a few Arsenal message boards aswell...bit of a mixed reaction it seems. Im not sure what to think! Chiellini has said he doesnt know about is future, think he'd be far better. Not sure hangeland is what we need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'd love to see Arsenal sign younger version of Sol. Big and powerful yet very fast and has the ability to meet the ball head on when he can. I never thought Gallas was good at out jumping attacking players to get his head on the ball.

I agree that Hangeland could get caught out if the ball gets in behind him.

Is Rosicky tall?!?

Not hugely tall but he's not far off 6 foot afaik.
    gibson wrote: »
    Saw this rumour round a few Arsenal message boards aswell...bit of a mixed reaction it seems. Im not sure what to think! Chiellini has said he doesnt know about is future, think he'd be far better. Not sure hangeland is what we need

Chiellini >>> Hangeland

but again, not entirely the sort of CB we need.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd love Hangeland, and I don't agree about getting another Gallas type. If anything Djourou is like Gallas. I'd rather a more natural centre-half. I don't think Vermaelen is quite the Vidic people think he is. He's more of a cross breed.

Fabio Cannavaro is available on a free, thoughts? He'd be a good one to replace Silvestre and Gallas with, if we also moved for one of these younger CBs we've been linked with. Himself and Campbell would be terrific, experienced stop-gaps to have around for a season for Vermaelen, Djourou and the rest to learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ha ha. Maybe those letters did make it to the Arsenal board after all. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8701215.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott and Vela both start in tonight's game. Should be worth watching.

So, Vela to score against England and France to become most hated man at Arsenal FC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Despite Gallas' contribution, we've kept shag all clean sheets since he's been at the club. Obv there's other reasons but I don't think he's an amazing defender for a central defender. Remember, the all-knowing special one wouldn't play him at CB for Chelsea.

I'd much rather two central defenders who could defend really well.

Hangeland sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hangeland's not enough though. Need 2 centre backs really. Vermaelen, Djourou, Campbell, maybe Hangeland and then another.

Djourou is an unknown really. He could spend the majority of the season injured again and even if he doesn't there's no guarantee he's going to be any good.

Campbell did very well this year but he's seriously getting on. Don't want to be relying on him as much as Arsenal did in the past 6 months.

So sign one centre back to go straight into the first XI and partner Vermaelen (Hangeland would do the job). Then sign another that would be willing to be 3rd choice. Probably a promising youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Despite Gallas' contribution, we've kept shag all clean sheets since he's been at the club. Obv there's other reasons but I don't think he's an amazing defender for a central defender. Remember, the all-knowing special one wouldn't play him at CB for Chelsea.

I think you're vastly under-rating Gallas' contribution. He's an excellent defender. Hangeland would be a good buy but I don't think he would be an improvement on the departing French man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How did vela do tonight against england? I only caught glimpses of the game but form what i did see it looked like he had a decent enough game.

Fabio Cannavaro is available on a free, thoughts? He'd be a good one to replace Silvestre and Gallas with, if we also moved for one of these younger CBs we've been linked with. Himself and Campbell would be terrific, experienced stop-gaps to have around for a season for Vermaelen, Djourou and the rest to learn from.

I'd take Cannavaro purely for his defensive overheads and propensity to chest the ball back to the keeper from 30 yards out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Paleface wrote: »
    I noticed that too but aren't there a few guys in the squad already who don't speak much English? (Denilson is one I think)

Pires never had a word of English if I remember correctly!
    Not sure he was ever Samuel Johnson or anything but I thought Pires had a bit, no? He'd a fair few languages, I believe, from one of those French-Spanish-Greek-etc. mixed backgrounds. I think the constant smirking and shrugging was just a French thing :D

Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that Wenger always conducts training in English to (try to) avoid cliques forming. Not sure how much he sticks to it anymore but pretty sure that used to be the rule anyway.

I think Pires spoke more English than he let on, just so he wouldn't have to deal with the media.

I don't think Vermaelen is quite the Vidic people think he is. He's more of a cross breed.
    Agreed. He looks a bit similar to Vidic (scary as hell) but doesn't quite fit either of the 'attacking centre half' / sweeper roles completely. Personally I don't think Gallas and Vermaelen were a great partnership anyway (more two guys who covered/intercepted well individually) so I wouldn't replace the Gallas type exactly.

Oh and I'd be nervous about Cannavarro. I didn't see him much this year but he looked a liability for large parts of his Real spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

gosplan wrote: »

Willy was a top top CB for Chelsea, Jose was always going to bring Riccy Carvalho to Chelsea and Gallas never really got a look in after that as the Carvalho/Terry partnership was one of the most effective the league has ever seen. Great defender, terrible attitude and seems to have lost a few marbles since joining Arsenal.

I post this partly for news value, but mainly for the subhead:
    Spain's World Cup hopes have received a boost after Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas came through a full training season.

Although, eh, maybe turn off images in your browser if you're of a nervous disposition.

• Advertisement

How did vela do tonight against england? I only caught glimpses of the game but form what i did see it looked like he had a decent enough game.

He had some good link up play particularly with Do Santos in the first half. Found himself one on one with the keeper twice but failed to score both times. Didn't do much in the second half. Although in fairness to him the second half was very scrappy (lots of subsitutions) with very little flowing football. Not particularly impressive.

Walcott did quite well for England. Played 70 plus mins plus. His pace terrorised the Mexico defense. One of them fell over at one point, it was hilarious. His passing/crossing was pretty good overall too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves20 ... barca.html

French source of course but basically a quote from Cesc' Dad, interviewed on Spanish Radio.

"Negotiations between Barca and Arsenal will be long and hard. But Francesc wants his transfer to take place as soon as possible to be quiet during the World Cup, "he said. We'll see how it ends but Arsenal must respect the will of the player even if he is still under contract. Cesc has always been very pro. We thank Arsenal for making him the player he is today, but we want a speedy resolution of negotiations. I think the Gunners will eventually let him go."

Sneaky bid for Stephen Ireland?

With Gallas leaving he would be handy to maintain the level of mentalism at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sneaky bid for Stephen Ireland?

With Gallas leaving he would be handy to maintain the level of mentalism at the club.

Thought Arshavin was keeping the psychotic quota quite high.

Noway to Ireland.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Thought Arshavin was keeping the psychotic quota quite high.

I'd call Arshavin more quirky.

Ireland is eccentric. He's also a very very good midfielder that is the type of player we could do with. Although tbf CM is fairly low down the list of priority signings...

I'd have Ireland over Denilson and maybe even ahead of Diaby when he's on form.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves20 ... barca.html

French source of course but basically a quote from Cesc' Dad, interviewed on Spanish Radio.

"Negotiations between Barca and Arsenal will be long and hard. But Francesc wants his transfer to take place as soon as possible to be quiet during the World Cup, "he said. We'll see how it ends but Arsenal must respect the will of the player even if he is still under contract. Cesc has always been very pro. We thank Arsenal for making him the player he is today, but we want a speedy resolution of negotiations. I think the Gunners will eventually let him go."

That quote has to be mistranslated. Especially the line "Arsenal must respect the will of the player even if he is still under contract".

What's the point of contracts at all then?!

Different types of player. Ireland is a watered down Cesc and there's no real place for him.

• Advertisement

That quote has to be mistranslated. Especially the line "Arsenal must respect the will of the player even if he is still under contract".

The club will absolutely respect the will of the player if Barcelona respect the asking price of the club! :)

Just to hike up prices really.

Different types of player. Ireland is a watered down Cesc and there's no real place for him.

There'd be a place for him next year when Cesc trots off to Barca and Diaby doesn't improve on his consistency.

There'd be a place for him next year when Cesc trots off to Barca and Diaby doesn't improve on his consistency.
    If Cesc is sold then he shouldn't be replaced, especially not with a vastly inferior player. Either way, if we're looking to sign a CM it should be someone with good defensive abilities. That ain't Ireland.

If Cesc is sold then he shouldn't be replaced, especially not with a vastly inferior player. Either way, if we're looking to sign a CM it should be someone with good defensive abilities. That ain't Ireland.

What do you mean by the part in bold? If we lose our best player we shouldn't look to replace him? Where will the creativity come from them? We can hardly rely on our shit 'wingers'.

Ireland actually generally has very good defensive abilities and can win balls. I'd rate him higher than Denilson(who is supposedly more defensive) and above Diaby. If Arsenal somehow hung on to Cesc, a midfield of Fabregas, Ireland and Song would be great IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ireland actually generally has very good defensive abilities and can win balls. I'd rate him higher than Denilson(who is supposedly more defensive) and above Diaby. If Arsenal somehow hung on to Cesc, a midfield of Fabregas, Ireland and Song would be great IMO.

Id agree. But it would leave no place for Nasri. Unless we change our formation. And would certainly mean selling one of Denilson/Diaby. And according to rumours Diaby has been taking Diarra's role in training due to him pulling out of the world cup. Could turn out to be a starter for France. Which, if he was in any way good, could up his self confidence/consistancy/pricetag.

For some reason I can see Diaby progressing more rapidly than Denilson in the long run. Denilson just seems to have hit a wall in turns of progression.

Sútalún wrote: »
    Id agree. But it would leave no place for Nasri. Unless we change our formation. And would certainly mean selling one of Denilson/Diaby. And according to rumours Diaby has been taking Diarra's role in training due to him pulling out of the world cup. Could turn out to be a starter for France. Which, if he was in any way good, could up his self confidence/consistancy/pricetag.

For some reason I can see Diaby progressing more rapidly than Denilson in the long run. Denilson just seems to have hit a wall in turns of progression.

I think a midfield of Fabregas, Nasri and Song is abit too lightweight and might leave Song too much to do. It might be suitable for certain games but Ireland would be a great option to have, alot better than Denilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My feeling is that Cesc will not go before this coming season but he will go the next season. If reports are correct Arsenal have slapped a £80 million Sterling price tag on him and Barca will not meet that at the moment. I suspect that there will be an agreement for a figure between that amount and what Barca want to pay next year.

While I don't like Ireland's attitude he would be a good addition to the squad as he is the aggressive type of attack minded player I think we need. At 10 Million the price tag isn't bad for a skilled 23 year old midfielder and he is probably too cheap for Chelsea to consider :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Oh dear.

Barcelona using Madrid's "Ronaldo's Mum" tactics now.

Cesc's Dad has come out and said he must be allowed to move asap.

Must say I'm disappointed with Barcelona's conduct. It's just like mdrid's hounding of united to get ronaldo. I'm hoping that, like United, we squeeze every last penny possible out of them.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Must say I'm disappointed with Barcelona's conduct. It's just like mdrid's hounding of united to get ronaldo. I'm hoping that, like United, we squeeze every last penny possible out of them.

It's getting to the stage where I'd like us to offer him to Madrid for 30M just to annoy Barca.

What do you mean by the part in bold? If we lose our best player we shouldn't look to replace him? Where will the creativity come from them? We can hardly rely on our shit 'wingers'.
    We shouldn't replace him directly. Putting a Cesc-lite in his position would be a terrible decision.

We'll have to disagree about Ireland then. I think Denilson is far superior to him defensively and a Song-Ireland-Cesc midfield would be unbalanced. I'm not a big fan of Song-Diaby-Cesc either, but that's not a reason to sign him.

If we sell Cesc we should bring in a DM (though I think we should do that anyway) and strengthen other areas of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hopefully Barca's conduct and seemingly enormous cheque book is showing people themselves and Real are one in the same - very annoyed at the arrogance and pettiness of Barca lately, first really bugged me when they turned on those sprinklers after Inter won. This is getting disgraceful and is looking very, very co-ordinated - £50m and he's yours lads

If we sell Cesc we should bring in a DM (though I think we should do that anyway) and strengthen other areas of the team.

As in go back to the old days of having two strong CM/DM's and then the creative lads out wide? I liked that system, it gave us a solid basie in the middle in Paddy and Gilberto and Freddie and Bobby were more than capable of conjuring something out of nothing on the flanks.

The problem is now that we don't have wide players of Ljungberg and Pires' calibre in the team. Playing wide doesn't suit Nasri. Shava is magical when he wants to be and if we lose Cesc I can see him becoming more disillusioned.

I don't think Song is good enoguh to play CM in a 4-4-2 either. The 4-3-3 suits him perfectly as he can sit deep with two in front of him. In a 4-4-2 he will be expected to get up and down the pitch a lot more which really wouldnt suit his game imo, he seriously lacking in pace.

GK and CB are the two areas of the team that need strengthening, but if Cesc goes then a new CM is needed also.

As in go back to the old days of having two strong CM/DM's and then the creative lads out wide? I liked that system, it gave us a solid basie in the middle in Paddy and Gilberto and Freddie and Bobby were more than capable of conjuring something out of nothing on the flanks.

The problem is now that we don't have wide players of Ljungberg and Pires' calibre in the team. Playing wide doesn't suit Nasri. Shava is magical when he wants to be and if we lose Cesc I can see him becoming more disillusioned.

I don't think Song is good enoguh to play CM in a 4-4-2 either. The 4-3-3 suits him perfectly as he can sit deep with two in front of him. In a 4-4-2 he will be expected to get up and down the pitch a lot more which really wouldnt suit his game imo, he seriously lacking in pace.

GK and CB are the two areas of the team that need strengthening, but if Cesc goes then a new CM is needed also.
    Basically.

If Cesc goes he'll have to be replaced by two players. I don't believe there's a direct replacement available to us that wouldn't substantially weaken the team, so we might as well redress the balance of the team. Cesc and Song couldn't play together in a 4-4-2 which was one of the big reasons we went to a 4-3-3. If Cesc goes, we can replace him with someone who can partner Song in a 4-4-2. I'd love Yaya, but he doesn't want to come, so maybe someone like Toulalan, M'Bia or Alou Diarra. Whoever we bring in, it'd be a return to a Gilberto-Vieira style double pivot. The other player would need to be a creative wide midfielder. We don't have anyone in Pires' class, but I think you're overrating Ljungberg a bit.

GK and CB need addressing too but that's a separate issue.

We shouldn't replace him directly. Putting a Cesc-lite in his position would be a terrible decision.

Agreed. There's no point trying to replace someone so one of akind with like-for-like. The Bergkamps, Cantonas and Ronaldos of this worl cannot just be replaced.

What about this scenario.

Wenger tells Barcelona that Cesc is simply not for sale at any price.

Cesc plays for Arsenal next season.

End of.

The whole player wanting to go somewhere else to me is such a joke and makes a complete mockery of contracts and player transfer fees.

You are contracted to a club. You honour your contract unless the club decides to sell you.

I know there is the argument that if a player doesn't want to be at a club then you are better off letting him go but life it not that easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

We'll have to disagree about Ireland then. I think Denilson is far superior to him defensively and a Song-Ireland-Cesc midfield would be unbalanced. I'm not a big fan of Song-Diaby-Cesc either, but that's not a reason to sign him.

You mighn't rate Ireland defensively but Denilson is atrocious at defensive work, he watches players go by him and doesnt seem to care, always beaten far too easy. Never shouldve been played as a DM

You'd never know Denilson might come into is own if Cesc leaves. Nearly all the games he's done well in were ones he was given more license to attack. DM is clearly not his natural position. He started out in the Cesc role and lets be honest tehre was only gonna be one winner there. He was pretty much forced to play more defensively while we left the creativity to Cesc.

I know there is the argument that if a player doesn't want to be at a club then you are better off letting him go but life it not that easy.

Depends who the player is. If it's somebody like Ronaldo then he'll just become petulant, underperform and generally be a bad influence on the team. I don't see that happening with Cesc though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement