Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Cesc and Song couldn't play together in a 4-4-2 which was one of the big reasons we went to a 4-3-3. If Cesc goes, we can replace him with someone who can partner Song in a 4-4-2.
    I've been wondering about this recently too. If we've got no Cesc, a switch to 4-4-2 would be tempting. It'd definitely help our full-backs though and we might even get more from Arshavin by dropping him into a #10 role from time to time.

My doubts would be our wing options and where it'd leave the likes of Ramsey and Nasri. While the 4-3-3 suits Cesc best, it also suited a lot of others.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Denilson covers space very well (which is the most important thing tbh, just watch Inter in the CL this season) and is disciplined. We looked better this season when we had him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We don't have anyone in Pires' class, but I think you're overrating Ljungberg a bit.

Probably, I was a bit of a Freddie fanboy, gotta love those Calvins...

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Galvasean wrote: »
    You'd never know Denilson might come into is own if Cesc leaves. Nearly all the games he's done well in were ones he was given more license to attack. DM is clearly not his natural position. He started out in the Cesc role and lets be honest tehre was only gonna be one winner there. He was pretty much forced to play more defensively while we left the creativity to Cesc.

The fact that he doesn't ever pass the ball forward may hinder the chances of him playing more attack minded. He never tries a killer ball, And if Cesc left we'd have nobody to do that. Maybe Rosicky if we moved him into his natural position which I think wouldn't be too bad.

I still don't think Cesc will go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

in fairness to Denilson, prior to Flamini going (and Wengers experiment at start of 08/09 with 4 4 2 with Denilson replacing Flamini directly which didnt quiet work because Cesc ended up having to be more defensive and thus we were less effective.) Denilson played more the Cesc role. Certainly in the Carling cup campaigns of 06/07 and 07/08 thats where he played and was quiet effective.

1151 BST: Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas wants his requested transfer to Barcelona to be agreed as soon as possible but is expecting the negotiations to be arduous, according to the Spaniard's father. "I don't know how this is going to pan out but I believe you have to respect the decision and the wishes of the player," Francesc Fabregas said on Spanish radio. (Reuters)

They're usually spot on. Looks like I may be wrong. :(

That's nothing new. We already know Cesc wants to leave.

That's nothing new. We already know Cesc wants to leave.

I never heard him say he wanted to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mertesacker anyone? He's 6,6 :cool:

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/55115/default.aspx

"Attractive" Arsenal interest Mertesacker
    442 Staff - 5 hours ago

Arsenal BetBet £10 get £20 FreeWerder Bremen defender Per Mertesacker has described Arsenal as an “attractive” proposition following reports over the weekend linking the defender with a move to the Gunners.

The centre-back was questioned on his future after speculation in The Sunday Times that Arsene Wenger is keen to add the German international to bolster his defence.

When asked about a possible move to the Gunners, the defender said: "There are certainly attractive clubs abroad. In particular, clubs that have been playing for years in the Champions League.”

Mertesacker is currently preparing for the World Cup with the German national side at their South-Tyrol Italian training camp after being selected for Joachim Low’s squad for the tournament.

While his first team place in Germany’s side does not look doubtful, the same cannot be said for his club future.

Wenger has made no secret of his dismay at the Arsenal backline in recent times, and will be prioritising finding proven players to add to his fledging defence this summer.

Mertesacker has gained a reliable reputation in his homeland with both Hannover 96 and Werder Bremen, known for his towering height and impeccable discipline.

The 25-year-old looks set to move on this summer in search of greater heights, and a move to England with Arsenal could see the German fulfil both his and Wenger’s ambitions for next season.

But a transfer fee could prove a significant stumbling block for the Gunners, who are never ones to be held to ransom for their targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

x PyRo wrote:
    [1151 BST: Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas wants his requested transfer to Barcelona to be agreed as soon as possible but is expecting the negotiations to be arduous, according to the Spaniard's father. "I don't know how this is going to pan out but I believe you have to respect the decision and the wishes of the player," Francesc Fabregas said on Spanish radio. (Reuters)

I was wondering would they stoop to reals bring the parents in trick.

Now Puyol's getting in on it :rolleyes:

Barca captain believes Cesc would be 'perfect fit' for Spanish champions

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/222/transfer-zone/2010/05/25/1942198/barcelona-defender-carles-puyol-cesc-fabregas-is-suffering

“Cesc is a great player, a great friend and I think he’s perfect for Barcelona," he said.

"For me if I'd like to see him at Barça, but the fact he is under contract [at Arsenal] must be respected.”

Exactly - so STFU already!! Pass that onto Pique and Xavi too yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is there a lost in translation thing going on here? 'Yes, we "respect" the player and his contract with Arsenal, but we want him here and he wants to come and I love him and his family and its in his DNA yadda yadda yadda.'

Wish they'd all shut up.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Is there a lost in translation thing going on here? 'Yes, we "respect" the player and his contract with Arsenal, but we want him here and he wants to come and I love him and his family and its in his DNA yadda yadda yadda.'

Wish they'd all shut up.

It's very co-ordinated and transparent imo - the more they unsettle Cesc the more Arsenal will "have" to sell him, and the more we have to sell him the better price they can get. It's farcical at this stage - I suppose it's Villa's turn up to the podium next, then Valdes...

lol at the Mertesacker headline.
    x PyRo wrote: »
    I never heard him say he wanted to leave.
    ... and he still hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

lol at the Mertesacker headline.

... and he still hasn't.

To be fair, saying "I think I would like to go to Barcelona, whether or not they want me is another thing" is just as damning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

The fact that players like Xavi, Pique and Puyol as well as Daddy Fabregas are all having their say on the matter is really irrelevant in my view.

Its all just talk. Let them talk. They don't hold any of the cards in this game.

The only ones who do are Arsenal.

They aren't saying a whole lot which unfortunately is my biggest worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Apparently he wants to go 500% now! :rolleyes:

From Goal.com via The Express
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has failed in his bid to keep Cesc Fabregas at the club after the Spanish star told friends that he is “500 per cent sure” he wants to move to Barcelona, according to The Express.

Wenger had personally phoned his captain in an attempt to persuade him that his future lies at the Emirates and not the Nou Camp, but Fabregas simply reiterated his desire to join the Catalan club.

It is now up to Barcelona to agree a deal with Arsenal, with the Spanish champions confident that they will get their man and add to the recent signing of David Villa from Valencia.

Despite the ongoing transfer saga surrounding Fabregas, Arsene Wenger has continued to pursue his own targets as he looks to close the gap on Chelsea and Manchester United next season.

Arsenal have already signed Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh to add to their front-line and are reportedly in the market for a centre-back and goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sútalún wrote: »

500%? thats a lotta percent. We're screwed!

Hang on a 6'6 German.I don't care if he's crap, I want him in the team!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sútalún wrote: »

He can go imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Regardless of the obvious reasons I want him to stay at Arsenal, I would for once like a multi millionaire professional footballer to find out that the contract they signed actually means something and they can't just do what they want. That huge wage increase you got? That comes at a price, Arsenal own you for 5 more years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Id actually love to see a club stand up to a player for once and just say no, you signed the contract now honour it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

FearDark wrote: »
    Id actually love to see a club stand up to a player for once and just say no, you signed the contract now honour it.

So would I. As a United fan I would have loved to have seen Ronaldo left on the United bench last season, at least until the January transfer window, just to shut him and Madrid up. But when you have a valuable asset who wants to leave the club you'd have to be in a very healthy financial position not to sell him.

It will be interesting to see what Arsenal do. United held on to Ronaldo for an extra season after Real Madrid started to pursue him. That turned out to be a very good season for the player and United. Maybe Arsenal can do the same. But again, I'd say the most they'd get is one more season out of Cesc before he moves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

this is meant to be the captain of arsenal fc.i want him out straight away if he wants to go.what sort of a message is this to other teams when our captain of 23 wants out.i want players who want to be at arsenal and fight for the cause now.

get him out make verminator the captain now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

So would I. As a United fan I would have loved to have seen Ronaldo left on the United bench last season, at least until the January transfer window, just to shut him and Madrid up. But when you have a valuable asset who wants to leave the club you'd have to be in a very healthy financial position not to sell him.

Without the glazier debt i've no doubt in my mind Fergie would've stuck him in the reserves.

And what is it with us and Relations as agents being generally bad. Anelka brothers anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It will be interesting to see what Arsenal do. United held on to Ronaldo for an extra season after Real Madrid started to pursue him. That turned out to be a very good season for the player and United. Maybe Arsenal can do the same. But again, I'd say the most they'd get is one more season out of Cesc before he moves on.

United weren't too bothered about contracts when they signed Berbatov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

What's the problem. Barcelona want him so badly why cant they meet Arsenals asking price. Getting his father and Puyol to speak about it means absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody hearing this Sol to Celtic stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ush1 wrote: »
    Anybody hearing this Sol to Celtic stuff?

Yep. He is talking to them at the moment. We have offered him a one year deal. Not sure about Celtic but maybe they have a two year deal on the table for him.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0526/campbells.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

sid lowe has tweeted that there is very imminent news about cesc on www.guardian.co.uk/football

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

One of our players has definitely gone to spain anyway! From the BBC..
    Arsenal midfielder Fran Merida is to return to Spain after he signed for Atletico Madrid on a free transfer.

Was on the cards for a while.

• Advertisement

Fabregas said: "I will say only one thing – I have got massive respect for Arsene Wenger, Arsenal football club and the Arsenal fans. Even in my own house I have not felt as loved as I have at Arsenal. I had a long conversation with Arsene and it was the greatest [longest] conversation I have had with anyone in my life.

"I respect him, so, so much and I don't want to say anything more. Wenger said to leave it in his hands and he will deal with whatever happens in the future. It is now all about Arsenal – it is not in my hands.

"Now I just wait: it is up to Arsenal. Right now all I am thinking about is the World Cup: everything else is the future and I am not going to say anything else."
    It doesn't sound like Cesc will try to force a deal through, which is good for us.

Put up or shut up, Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

for me, that sounds like he has told arsenal he wants to leave and that wenger has said he will deal with it.

i dont think its good news for arsenal tbh

Everyone already knows he wants to leave us, but it seems as though he won't force it through if Barcelona continue to be cheap-skates, which is good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think it's good news because as Pepe said it doesn't look like he will force the deal through by putting in a transfer request or throwing a hissy fit if Barca don't want to pay what he is worth. Hopefully we can hold on to him, if only for the year.

If Barca have not made an offer then Wenger has nothing to do.

If they do then its down to Wenger to reject or accept.

Cesc will not force the deal. He'll happily play for Arsenal next season if the deal does not go through.

Re: Ramsey
    "I saw him last Sunday, he's doing really well," said Gunter, the Wales and Nottingham Forest defender. "He is hoping to start running in a few weeks, then there will be three or four more weeks before he can kick a ball. He's over the disappointment now, and he is focusing on getting back."

He added: "It was a terrible thing to go through, but one I am sure that in years to come he will look back and say it made him stronger."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Re: Ramsey

Please let him do a Larsson and not an Eduardo. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Frisbee wrote: »
    Please let him do a Larsson and not an Eduardo. Please.

If Ramsey scored as many as Larsson we'd be flying
    event wrote: »
    for me, that sounds like he has told arsenal he wants to leave and that wenger has said he will deal with it.

i dont think its good news for arsenal tbh

I agree.

I think its inevitable he will leave this summer. Its a question of at what price. He's not burning his bridges a la hleb/ade with inflammatory comments.

I wonder what sort of replacement(s) we will look to sign.

Anyone feel it could impact on whether Wenger decides to stay or not next year? He's yet to sign an extension.

There appears to be a 30 to 40 million pound gap in the two club's valuations of the player so I wouldn't say it's inevitable at all.

Though maybe in the end Barca will get another bank loan and go £500m+ in debt.

• Advertisement

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Anyone feel it could impact on whether Wenger decides to stay or not next year? He's yet to sign an extension.

If its Wengers decision to sell Fabregas I wouldn't think so.

There appears to be a 30 to 40 million pound gap in the two club's valuations of the player so I wouldn't say it's inevitable at all.

Though maybe in the end Barca will get another bank loan and go £500m+ in debt.

The figures quoted in papers are merely rumours and speculation.
    We are in a strong position amd the last thing Wenger will do is get a bad deal. However we're also at the point where we could risk a pissed off unmotivated season from Fab which would benefit no one and the fact that we only have one prospective buyer - Barca. I cannot seriously see him go for the £80m quoted in papers that we rate him at. In fact anything over £50m would be a bonus to be honest. Midfielders don't tend to go for anywhere near as much as strikers and while Cesc is one of the very best in the world, I still can't see the board holding out for more than £50m. (Though that said if we do accept the figures in the media, Barca still have a long way to go from their alleged £30m valuation).

Does anyone genuinely feel he'll stay out of interest? Obviously we all hope he will but does anyone feel that he will give it another year?

Kaka went for £56m.

Ribery and Ronaldo stuck around for an extra year not wanting to be there, both their sides won the league and reached the CL final. The unhappy player thing is overstated. Cesc is a pro.

Paleface wrote: »
    If its Wengers decision to sell Fabregas I wouldn't think so.

Its not really his decision though. Fab says he wants to go. How I read his last interview is that Wenger tried to convince him but failed hence he cannot confirm that he'll be here next season. Now its up to Wenger to see what price he can get for him. Considering the whole project revolved around Fabregas (replacing Vieria with him) I hope Wenger does not take it personally and leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well first off i hope he doesnt go if we keep him and van persie in the team for next year with a few additons id fancy our chances. But if we were to sell him thered be no way id let him go for less than the 50 million being quoted and then re invest it in the team.

After reading this http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6173248,00.html

Im thinking he might possibly stay, at least i hope so. Now i know he doesnt either confirm he wants to stay or go but im taking the positives out of it.

Kaka went for £56m.

Ribery and Ronaldo stuck around for an extra year not wanting to be there, both their sides won the league and reached the CL final. The unhappy player thing is overstated. Cesc is a pro.

Yeah agreed. Though it is slightly different with Cesc insofar its his home club and his mates etc etc :rolleyes:. Hopefully the same occurs to us, though I don't think Wenger will force him to stay a la Fergie.

• Advertisement

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Yeah agreed. Though it is slightly different with Cesc insofar its his home club and his mates etc etc :rolleyes:. Hopefully the same occurs to us, though I don't think Wenger will force him to stay a la Fergie.

I hope Wenger does force him to stay. I think Cesc will respond well because he's that sort of guy. There is plenty of time for him to move to Barca yet. This is all way too premature.

But the main reason I hope he forces him to stay is that it will make Barca look stupid for coming out in the press with it the way they did without ever even considering Arsenals position. It would be a victory for Arsenal and for football in so much as clubs cannot get away with courting players who are under contract!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

well fcuk that is basically a goodbye and good luck. That respect stuff is that he won't mess us around and wants to leave in a nice fashion its not about wanting to stay.

He is a good guy and knows we love him and he wont act the bollix but he wants out. The only thing is that if he stays he will still give 100percent which is good but honestly I think Wenger has probably accepted he's gone. This is a disaster tbh.

But one thing is for sure even if he started kicking up saying he didn't wanna play, I would put him in the reserves before selling him for anything less then the asking price. I want to see serious hardball and how much their fooking "DNA" is worth to them. Its a disgrace he is our player so you can get his aul lad, granny, friends and his dog to tell us how he belongs at Barca but you can also pay the club that made him the money we deserve and more just for acting like cnuts. If you don't wanna do that. Tough.

http://consolationgoal.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/spot-the-difference/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

He has plenty of time to play at Barca. It's not as if he is at the end of his prime, he is not even there yet.

Their hard ball tactic should be enough incentive for Wenger to squeeze them for as much as he possibly can and not to sell until they meet Arsenals valuation. Time for Barcelona to prove how much they want Cesc Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Slow week then lads. Nevermind all this Cesc lark, even another hint of a signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Papers have been linking us with Mark Schwarzer. Not exactly Buffon...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement