Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gibson wrote: »
    how can you forget Parlour :D;)

*clears throat* Its only Ray Parlour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

cson wrote: »
    *clears throat* Its only Ray Parlour!

You take that back, how dare you belittle the Romford Pele!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

L'prof wrote: »
    You take that back, how dare you belittle the Romford Pele!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Due to literal short sightedness...Arsenal have just signed indie film maker Miguel Arteta as a back up if Fabregas leaves...I see our formation as a new and unplayable 3-2-1 action for next season.

Please be ok RVP...

I was talking yesterday if cesc was to go ( i don't think he will ) who would you have as next in line for captain.

It would go close between RVP and Clichy i honestly thing with verm and ramsey as future captains imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

RVP does seem to have matured over the past few years but it would be a bit of a risk having someone so injury prone as your captain really. There's no stand out candidates imo, RVP is probably the best bet, don't think Clichy would be assertive enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Daily Mirror reporting Joe Cole is set to reject United and Spurs to join Arsenal. Some fans saying we dont need him, wages are too high etc. but seriously he's a good player and our attacking play this season was going nowhere, as much as we need a defender and goalkeeper it would be nice to
    see another creative player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Chamack Attack and Old King Cole, both on 'free' transfers? I'd be very happy with that assuming we went on step further and spent abit of cash on a goalie and a quality centre back (plus maybe an extra young/back up CB too).

• Advertisement

Afobe and the England under 17s have made it to the Euro final:
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/under-17s-afobe-helps-england-reach-final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd be happy with Joe Cole, if he can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Unless Joe Cole is going to he playing in goals for us I don't see what he adds to our squad. We need a CB to go in alongside Ver and a decry GK behind them. Adding an injury prone player to our already brittle side just seems like a waste of money.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Unless Joe Cole is going to he playing in goals for us I don't see what he adds to our squad. We need a CB to go in alongside Ver and a decry GK behind them. Adding an injury prone player to our already brittle side just seems like a waste of money.

Diaby, Rosicky, Denilson, Vela have been total rubbish for the majority of the season. Rosicky and Vela were played as the left sided forward which Cole could easily play and could also probably play more centrally. After the season we had I dont see how we can turn around and say we dont need a good player like Cole.

Obviously we need a goalkeeper and defender as well but someone of Joe Coles ability isnt available on a free every summer

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I'd take him if it didn't impede on the arrival of other payers of greater priority. Would also mean selling at least one other player. Possibly Rosicky which I actually wouldn't be all that happy with. Rosicky or Cole isn't that easy to call. Depending on which of them can properly recover from injuries.

No thanks Joe Cole.

Another injury prone attacking midfielder who will get played on the flanks really isn't what we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Diaby, Rosicky, Denilson, Vela have been total rubbish for the majority of the season.

Completely agree but you forgot Theo. He's been brutal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Cole wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't mind having him as a replacement for Rosicky (who might be off to Hamburg). Arsenal's style of play suits him better, Chelsea have always been a bit too direct for a player like him imo, he'll be given more time on the ball and have more options around him. I think he could link up well with Clichy and RVP plus he'd offer options right across the width of the pitch filling in for Arshavin, Nasri or Cesc.

I do think though given the wages he'd demand that he'd effectively be brought in to replace Arshavin. Now that would disappoint me as I thought we'd be able to go for a more higher profile replacement like Hazard or Suarez but that's probably me just day-dreaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Cole wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't mind having him as a replacement for Rosicky (who might be off to Hamburg). Arsenal's style of play suits him better, Chelsea have always been a bit too direct for a player like him imo, he'll be given more time on the ball and have more options around him. I think he could link up well with Clichy and RVP plus he'd offer options right across the width of the pitch filling in for Arshavin, Nasri or Cesc.

I do think though given the wages he'd demand that he'd effectively be brought in to replace Arshavin. Now that would disappoint me as I thought we'd be able to go for a more higher profile replacement like Hazard or Suarez but that's probably me just day-dreaming.

So you have Arshavin and Rosicky out the door. Where are you getting that from?

Paleface wrote: »

Apparently Arsh has been showing himself off to the new potential barca presidents.

Rosicky has been linked with a move back to Germany in a few places (Stuttgart and Dortmund seemingly, I was mistaken about Hamburg). Don't know how credible they are but at his age a move that would guarantee more game time wouldn't surprise me.

Arshavin's discontent at his financial situation is pretty well documented (poor lad, having to pay tax is such a terrible thing). And Wenger doesn't like unhappy players afterall...

I never said either is a certainty. It's just if the rumours about Cole are true I find it hard to see Wenger not letting go of someone and those two seem the most likely candidates of those who'd be competing with Cole's for a starting position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Apparently Arsh has been showing himself off to the new potential barca presidents.

I doubt he'd even get in their team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I doubt he'd even get in their team.

Didn't he want to join Barca before he joined Arsenal?

If I was Arshavin I'd keep my head down and try and do well for Arsenal. He's been poor as of late compared to his previous form.

Would rot on Barca's bench IMO.

+ I doubt Barca would go for him with Pedro coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Arsh should look and learn from hleb, altho if he keeps up with this crap as much as hate to say it, let him go, get rid of him, if his heart is'nt in it no point keeping him. There was a few games last year where it looked like he was'nt bothered.

Joe cole, the less i hear the more i'm worried, good player but buying english players has rarely worked out for Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Frisbee wrote: »
    No thanks Joe Cole.

Another injury prone attacking midfielder who will get played on the flanks really isn't what we need.

Pretty much this. Not nessacery and could end up being a financial burden.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Pretty much this. Not nessacery and could end up being a financial burden.

Plus if Chelsea won't meet his wage demands not a hope we will.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Frisbee wrote: »
    Plus if Chelsea won't meet his wage demands not a hope we will.
    Not necessarily. As with Sol Campbell we'd factor in a larger than usual signing on fee on account of it being a free transfer, which Chelsea wouldn't do.

There are also rumours that Chelsea are trying to get their wage bill under control.

Personally I wouldn't mind Cole. He'd be an improvement on Rosicky certainly, and he qualifies as home-grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

gourcouff for 21.8 mill to replace cesc. no thanks!

stevefinn wrote: »
    gourcouff for 21.8 mill to replace cesc. no thanks!

Not for that much but Gourcuff would be a nice addition for when Cesc trots off to Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gourcuff would be a great signing but you won't get him for less then 20m, considering he only moved permantley last season for about 15m and he is now a regular international.

i admit he's a good player, but if we get any less than 40mil for cesc like barca are saying again then i wouldnt be happy having to fork out at least 22mil of it on gourcuff. especially when we have other players to buy

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Gourcuff would be a great signing but you won't get him for less then 20m, considering he only moved permantley last season for about 15m and he is now a regular international.

It depends on Gourcuff tbh. He has 3 years of a contract left afaik. If he's reluctant to sign an extension, I can see him going for €20-25m tbh in one of the next few windows. Don't think Bordeaux will risk having another wind their contract down a la Chamakh. Realistically they only have til next Summer to get maximum value for him.

If Arsenal want to realisticly challenge they'll need to replace Cesc, sign a new CB, new keeper and maybe even a DM. I can't see Nasri flourishing in the Fabregas role. Not sure will the sale of Fabregas cover all those positions, but it could be beneficial for the club. I think the worst thing you could do is keep hold of a player who wants to leave and only bring in maybe 1 or 2 more average signings.

Arsh should look and learn from hleb, altho if he keeps up with this crap as much as hate to say it, let him go, get rid of him, if his heart is'nt in it no point keeping him. There was a few games last year where it looked like he was'nt bothered.

Joe cole, the less i hear the more i'm worried, good player but buying english players has rarely worked out for Wenger.

last english free transfer was Sol Campbell first time round :D

WEnger's record of buying English has been patchy alright; Wright (the goalie), Jeffers, Walcott (jury is still out), Pennant all spring to mind.

still, gotta try and start finding the right english players at some stage

stevefinn wrote: »
    still, gotta try and start finding the right english players at some stage

He is developing loads of English talent at youth level which hopefully will be good enough for the first team when they come of age.

sorry i meant proven. as its what we need afterall

I'm fully supportive of joe cole to arsenal. I think he is a quality player and if he kept himself injury free he would be perfect for us since there's a chance we're reverting to wingers next season if cesc goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Galvasean wrote: »
    WEnger's record of buying English has been patchy alright; Wright (the goalie), Jeffers, Walcott (jury is still out), Pennant all spring to mind.

They are young though, and with Wright, we all know about Wenger and keepers!

Cole would be great to get on a free I think, if he stays injury free then he will definitely be a good asset! With Chamakh up top, we need a decent crosser on the wing (where Cole would probably play), because I doubt Theo is gonna do the business this time around either..

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »

Cole would be great to get on a free I think, if he stays injury free then he will definitely be a good asset! With Chamakh up top, we need a decent crosser on the wing (where Cole would probably play), because I doubt Theo is gonna do the business this time around either..

Coming from a Chelsea fan who adores Cole, his crossing is abysmal. Always plays a chipped ball in that gives defender an absolute age to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

dorgasm wrote: »

Do ye think will wallcott get much better? He seems to have stalled recently in his developement.

Do ye think will wallcott get much better? He seems to have stalled recently in his developement.

I want to see him played as a striker, his finishing is decent when he gets a bit of confidence and with his pace one on ones will be a frequent occurrence. I can't see him improving on the wings at all.

I want to see him played as a striker, his finishing is decent when he gets a bit of confidence and with his pace one on ones will be a frequent occurrence. I can't see him improving on the wings at all.

I dont think he can ever be played as the central striker in a 4-3-3 though, look how we struggled when Arshavin played though the middle. If we went back to 4-4-2 might work with Walcott playing up top

I dont think he can ever be played as the central striker in a 4-3-3 though, look how we struggled when Arshavin played though the middle. If we went back to 4-4-2 might work with Walcott playing up top

I thought that went without saying, sorry.

I thought that went without saying, sorry.

Ive actually heard some fans suggest him to be played through the middle in the 4-3-3 :confused: dont think itd work lol

• Advertisement

Generally in 4-3-3 you need someone with considerable size/strenght to lead the line. However with a front two you can have one of them be a small but fast guy. I mean look at Vela, looked a fantastic prospect when put in a big guy/little guy up top in a 4-4-2. Walcott could fit in there too IMO.

Does'nt need to develop his talent, he's got it in bags, the only problem is he does'nt have the brains to go with it yet(hopefully). his decision making is woeful, runs when he should'nt, does some stuid passed and as for going forward, he's got some of the worst positioning sense i've ever seen. I say bring in wrighty and get hm to spend a few months with him in training.

Does'nt need to develop his talent, he's got it in bags, the only problem is he does'nt have the brains to go with it yet(hopefully). his decision making is woeful, runs when he should'nt, does some stuid passed and as for going forward, he's got some of the worst positioning sense i've ever seen. I say bring in wrighty and get hm to spend a few months with him in training.

I agree with all of this.

When he runs at defenders you can see they are worried. Its just there is no end product more often than not. But the guy is still very young and has time on his side.

Hopefully he will come good. All it takes is for things to start clicking with him and he would be a serious player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I agree with all of this.

When he runs at defenders you can see they are worried. Its just there is no end product more often than not. But the guy is still very young and has time on his side.

Hopefully he will come good. All it takes is for things to start clicking with him and he would be a serious player!

Yeah he's another Nani type IMO.

No doubt he'll be an excellent player at some point, it's just a case of when.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement