Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Has anyone in here stopped for a minute to consider the fact that the player himself has told the club he wants to leave ? Bit of a knob after signing an eight year deal knowing full well he never had any intention of staying longterm. Contracts aint worth the paper they are wrote on these days. Not really much a club can do these days when a player decides to leave. The same happened at United when Ronaldo said he wanted to go to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

redout wrote: »
    Has anyone in here stopped for a minute to consider the fact that the player himself has told the club he wants to leave ? Bit of a knob after signing an eight year deal knowing full well he never had any intention of staying longterm. Contracts aint worth the paper they are wrote on these days. Not really much a club can do these days when a player decides to leave. The same happened at United when Ronaldo said he wanted to go to Madrid.

If Cesc goes he goes, I can accept that. I've known he would be off to Barca for ages now, we all have.

THe problem is Barca not willing to pay the valuation because they have some trumped up notion that they shouldn't have to pay more than they want for someone they let go in the first place. Barca are entitled to absolutely nothing and if they want Cesc as bad as they say then they should be willing to meet our asking price and not trying to lowball us.

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Cesc goes he goes, I can accept that. I've known he would be off to Barca for ages now, we all have.

THe problem is Barca not willing to pay the valuation because they have some trumped up notion that they shouldn't have to pay more than they want for someone they let go in the first place. Barca are entitled to absolutely nothing and if they want Cesc as bad as they say then they should be willing to meet our asking price and not trying to lowball us.

We have already disussed this in the Barca thread the other week. It is all Laporta to get the signing before he is out of office which is about 11 days from now. I have read quotes from some candidates that said they will pay whatever to get Cesc but I have also read others that said they would be far more conservative like Sandro Rosell who barring a miracle will be the next president of FC Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

You're implying that he should be just let go because he asked. Its not that easy. Arsenal have invested more in him than anybody else and are entitled therefore to dictate the terms of his departure. This is includes when and how much for.

Barca seem to think they are the ones who are dictating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Frisbee wrote: »

It's business though? Obviously Barca are trying to use whatever they can to get Cesc for as cheap as possible. The fact that he wants to leave for only Barca and also that he's played there before is playing into Laporta's hands. He is trying his best to see if he can get Cesc for a bargain price, any team would do the same. Laporta is purposely lowballing Arsenal because he can, not because he doesn't value Cesc. I'm positive if Wegner doesn't budge on the asking price Barca will eventually fork up the 40/45 million that Arsenal want.

For the record though, I do dislike when Barca players come out and say he should join. I'd expect nothing less from the president/ sporting director, but I'd much prefer if the players stfu and concentrated on pre season/ world cup.

Btw, Mata is just a rumour, and he won't be coming unless Ibra is sold.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm positive if Wegner doesn't budge on the asking price Barca will eventually fork up the 40/45 million that Arsenal want.

As am I, that's why we have to stay strong and milk yiz for all ye got :D
    eZe^ wrote: »
    For the record though, I do dislike when Barca players come out and say he should join. I'd expect nothing less from the president/ sporting director, but I'd much prefer if the players stfu and concentrated on pre season/ world cup.

Xavi/Pique/Puyol really should stfu as you say. Great footballers, no denying it, but constantly talking about Cesc is really tainting my image of them at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

You may consider him to be a knob for signing up and wanting out, but I don't. Our actions in the transfer market and lack of silverware would be enough to drive most players away, I'm just glad that he's been here as long as he has and hope we can squeeze one final season out of him.

You say Cesc had no intention of seeing out his contract. I'd say he did, but would have expected far more from the club in return.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Seems to me that Arsenal want a lot more than 40 million that it seems assumed they'll settle on. I haven't seen any suggestion from the Arsenal camp that they'd be prepared to accept anything remotely close to that figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Has Cesc handed in an official transfer request?

All we know is that he had a phone conversation with Wenger. The one he called the greatest conversation of his life!

• Advertisement

Nope, and it doesn't look like he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The other issue is that Barca's assholery in the whole thing disrupts the rest of the day to day business for those involved. Now Wenger is getting stuck into negotiations that will probably go nowhere soon when he should be out scouting and buying replacements for Gallas and Silvestre.

We all know what Barca's game is, but that's not an excuse for their backhanded conduct. Their attitude towards the whole thing is despicable. Most clubs have some principles and ethics they stick to (even if they aren't set very high). Do Spaniards understand the concept of dignity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The fact is though, had he not signed a long-term deal he could have gone for next to nothing. Bearing that in mind it's pretty decent that he signed for such a long period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The other issue is that Barca's assholery in the whole thing disrupts the rest of the day to day business for those involved. Now Wenger is getting stuck into negotiations that will probably go nowhere soon when he should be out scouting and buying replacements for Gallas and Silvestre.

We all know what Barca's game is, but that's not an excuse for their backhanded conduct. Their attitude towards the whole thing is despicable. Most clubs have some principles and ethics they stick to (even if they aren't set very high). Do Spaniards understand the concept of dignity?

How long does it take to say, "sorry not interested, come back in a year?"

Yeah, 'negotiations' seems to be over-stating it somewhat. It seems to me that Barcelona sent Arsenal a fax.

Damn, I don't know how Arsene will get any work done :p

greendom wrote: »
    How long does it take to say, "sorry not interested, come back in a year?"

If someones banging on your door your done for assault if you forcibly try to move them.

I am not sure many clubs have any standards these days to be honest but they are all quick to point it out about other clubs when they come calling for their players. Take Moratti for example - how many times has he said he wants to sign Messi ? Didnt United do it with Hargreaves ? Real Madrid talk about every player as if he is their own. The modern game has gone fcuked. No respect between clubs, no respect between players and clubs. It is all about looking after numero uno these days.

I dunno, I think Arsenal generally keep a low media profile with regards to their transfer activity and play by the rules, such as they are.

More exciting transfer news: Argentina U17 international goalkeeper Damian Martinez has been granted a work permit ahead of his summer move to the club. Also, it looks like Francis Coquelin and Luke Freeman will be going out on loan next season. Woohoo! ;)

I am not sure many clubs have any standards these days to be honest but they are all quick to point it out about other clubs when they come calling for their players. Take Moratti for example - how many times has he said he wants to sign Messi ? Didnt United do it with Hargreaves ? Real Madrid talk about every player as if he is their own. The modern game has gone fcuked. No respect between clubs, no respect between players and clubs. It is all about looking after numero uno these days.

True, but the Spanish big clubs have used a level of aggressiveness far beyond the others imo. Maybe it's just Cesc's unique position, but the way Barca are going through the community and Cesc's family really pisses me off. Fergy at least just said he was interested. He didn't go down the whole route of "because he's english he has to be let join" sh*te like is happening here. Barca have really made this one personal.

True, but the Spanish big clubs have used a level of aggressiveness far beyond the others imo. Maybe it's just Cesc's unique position, but the way Barca are going through the community and Cesc's family really pisses me off. Fergy at least just said he was interested. He didn't go down the whole route of "because he's english he has to be let join" sh*te like is happening here. Barca have really made this one personal.

I cant recall all the details as it was several years ago but Bayern did threaten to report United to FIFA over their pursuit of the player. So it must have been something a bit stronger than just saying I want the player as a once off remark.
    "We've told Manchester United that we don't want to negotiate with them: if they don't understand that, we'll get FIFA involved," the German club's general maanger Karl-Heinze Rummenigge told Tuesday's edition of tz.
    "I'm English, my family lives in England and if I play in the English Premiership I'll have the chance to get called up for the national team," he said. Hargreaves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Bayern are the big dogs in germany they just were'nt used to someone trying to poach a player.

I cant recall all the details as it was several years ago but Bayern did threaten to report United to FIFA over their pursuit of the player. So it must have been something a bit stronger than just saying I want the player as a once off remark.

Iirc it was because Bayern deemed Fergy's statements of interest to the press a form of tapping up. Secondly, it was Hargreaves hisself who made that statement about being English. Not his mother, not his father, not his international team mates, not his childhood friends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Barca are as bad as Real. Spend a few seasons unsettling the player. Constantly undermine the club with constant media comments. Eventually player's head is turned and he tries to force his way out..

Iirc it was because Bayern deemed Fergy's statements of interest to the press a form of tapping up. Secondly, it was Hargreaves hisself who made that statement about being English. Not his mother, not his father, not his international team mates, not his childhood friends...

The whole thing is yet more bull to be honest and the player making them statements was utter tripe considering they were made after the 2006 World Cup were Hargreaves was Englands player of the tournament. It is like I said everyone is looking out for themselves.

In your face Barca!!!!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-turn-down-barca-offer-for-fabregas
    Arsenal Football Club have today released the following statement about Cesc Fabregas:

"Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is under contract with the Club until the summer of 2015. He is a highly valued member of the team and part of our future plans.

"We have followed recent speculation linking Cesc with a move away from the Club but as there has never been any official approach for him, only two informal exchanges, in which we made it abundantly clear that we have no interest in transferring Cesc, we have refrained from publicly passing comment. However, yesterday evening we received an offer from Barcelona for Cesc and in response, we immediately and resolutely told them once again that we have no intention of selling our captain.

"To be clear, we will not make any kind of counterproposal or enter into any discussion. Barcelona have publicly stated that they will respect our position and we expect that they will keep their word."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

love the last paragraph
    "To be clear, we will not make any kind of counterproposal or enter into any discussion. Barcelona have publicly stated that they will respect our position and we expect that they will keep their word."

event wrote: »
    love the last paragraph

I was just gonna quote that.

I'm sure Laporta/Xavi will have something to say to the media in the next day or two on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Happy days:D, hopefully this will be the end of it now but somehow i doubt it very much:(.

Paleface wrote: »

If anyone believes that is the end of the matter then god help you.

I mean what did you expect Arsenal to come out with ? "take him, he is yours".

No doubt there will be more twists and turns before this pans out.

• Advertisement

Happy days:D, hopefully this will be the end of it now but somehow i doubt it very much:(.

If its not the end then Arsenal have the right to report Barca to higher authorities. Its a closed deal now as far as Arsenal are concerned.

There'll be waaaaay more to go, Barca don't understand the words f'off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

it was €35m

why bother to start negotiations at such a low price?

If anyone believes that is the end of the matter then god help you.

I mean what did you expect Arsenal to come out with ? "take him, he is yours".

No doubt there will be more twists and turns before this pans out.

It's an unusually strong statement though. This wont be resolved this Summer methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

This is just Arsenal's way of letting them know you are not getting him on the cheap.

In fairness Arsenal could have made a statement about this long before now. Instead they chose to wait until an official approach was made.

Now both sides have an official stance on the matter.

• Advertisement

It's an unusually strong statement though. This wont be resolved this Summer methinks.

Wonder what Laporta will do.

Will he panic and up the bid to about €50m.

He only has 11 days left in office.

Although surely he knew €35m would not be entertained.

Wonder what Laporta will do.

Will he panic and up the bid to about €50m.

He only has 11 days left in office.

Although surely he knew €35m would not be entertained.

He probably doesn't know yet. That €35m would be simply to gauge Arsenal's resolve on the issue I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Only just come home to check Sky Sports News for the first time today :D what a brilliant statement...effectively saying Barca f*ck off!!! Dont think Barca will "stick to their word" though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Where did people see the 35M figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

He probably doesn't know yet. That €35m would be simply to gauge Arsenal's resolve on the issue I'd imagine.
    Id say double your €35m and add on another couple of million then your getting close! Anything less than £50-60million is a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Clearly trying to get Cesc to put in a request.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Where did people see the 35M figure?

The Guardian are quoting £29M.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not a chance will Barca "respect" anything. As we've seen from the behaviour of their players, respect means something else in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Paleface wrote: »
    The Guardian are quoting £29M.

Which is probably around €35m (which Barca deal in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I though you guys may be interested in this.
    Joe Cole could be on the verge of making a shock move from Chelsea to Arsenal on a free transfer after rumours emerged today he has signed a three-year contract at the Emirates Stadium.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/828929-joe-cole-to-join-arsenal-on-free-transfer-after-signing-three-year-deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Good signing IMO if it happens. Could spell the end for Nasri though

Hopefully not on high wages though. And hopefully this isnt Wenger's replacement for Fab's departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant see the point of Joe Cole, especially when we need strenghtening in other areas.

Where's our keeper and new CB?

The Muppet wrote: »

If Chelsea couldn't match his wage demands then how are Arsenal going to?

Max Power1 wrote: »

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Max Power1 wrote: »

Hopefully not on high wages though. And hopefully this isnt Wenger's replacement for Fab's departure.

I would of said Rosicky would be going not Nasri

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement