Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Joe Cole is a great signing for Arsenal IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think this is a good move for Arsenal. Is this even more bad news for Walcott though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

RvP scored one and set up another in Holland's 4-1 win over Ghana. Its on ESPN now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal could afford Joe Cole's wages because it is a free transfer. The lack of transfer fee would be factored into his wages in the form of a signing on fee like it was with Campbell.

It'd more likely spell the end of Rosicky, who I'd say he's better than.

Finally, John Cross reckons that Joe Cole has not yet decided which club he will go to, but believes that Man United are still the favourites to get him.
    Joe Cole has 100pc NOT signed for #Arsenal. Checked it, it's not true. They like him but Joe wants to concentrate on WC, decision after SA

Arsenal could afford Joe Cole's wages because it is a free transfer. The lack of transfer fee would be factored into his wages in the form of a signing on fee like it was with Campbell.

Finally, John Cross reckons that Joe Cole has not yet decided which club he will go to, but believes that Man United are still the favourites to get him.

Who's John Cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

greendom wrote: »
    Who's John Cross?
    Mirror journalist.

I though he was united bound but there are rumours of Uniteds interest having cooled.

A Daily Mirror journo with good sources at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I've gone off John Cross ever since he said Sex on Fire is one of the best songs ever.

Wouldn't be bad business to get Joe in and ship Rosicky out for maybe 5m or so(?). Still would prefer to be hearing more about goalies and defenders though. And chyrynhyrkyezkyi has been absolutely muck any time I've seen him for Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Frisbee wrote: »
    How?
    Well joe cole would be a creative midfielder, and if he plays Id presume that means rosicky and nasri dont. Rosicky is probably going back to the bundesliga anyway so that leaves Nasri off the team.

Presuming joe stays injury free of course

(also, perhaps we should give him the number 3 shirt)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Summertime sucks when your an Arsenal fan. All outgoings, whoever comes in we never seem to need, never spash the cash on anyone we do need, we just seem to be getting everyone elses scraps.

Still nothing on a new defender or GK... Great, Joe Cole, decent player and all but seriously getting worried about other positions. I can see us starting next season with that ****ing moron in goals again.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Would love Joe Cole to come, He's class when he's fit. No way would it push Nasri out though, That's crazy.

Hopefully we'll continue to rebuff all of Bastardlona's advances and keep our captain. They can feck off.

2,000th post, I dedicate it to all you beautiful people. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

the london factor...could have a big influence on this. i say some signing on a bosman.
    fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Apparently he's agreed a 110k-a-week 3 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

If we got Chamakh and Cole on free transfers thats a very very good start to the summer :D

Little worried though that there hasnt been too many really strong links and its getting quite close to the World Cup, considering Wenger said he wants all his deals done before it starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Lukker- wrote: »
    Apparently he's agreed a 110k-a-week 3 year contract.

That's more than Cesc is on isn't it?

So I doubt that's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just what Arsenal need - another injury prone attacking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

So I doubt that's true.

Yeah thats what I thought, Arsenals best paid player only get 80-90k a week afaik. But it's popping up on a good few Chelsea websites.

Sol was on £100,000 per week during his first stay, so that sounds about right. It's more like £75,000 per week plus £25,000 per week signing on fee.

There are all sorts of rumours flying about. Cole's agent was on talksport earlier apparently, saying that he's in negotiations with two London clubs.

On the other hand...

Oliver Kay: As @johncrossmirror said earlier, Joe Cole definitely hasn't signed for #Arsenal. Arsenal mystified by that rumour

... and

If you didn't gather as much from their statement, I can confirm Arsenal hierarchy are pretty unhappy with Barcelona ...

I hadn't realised Oliver Kay was so droll.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There are all sorts of rumours flying about. Cole's agent was on talksport earlier apparently, saying that he's in negotiations with two London clubs.

one of them could be Chelsea :pac: you know agents and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Two attacking players on free transfers would leave plenty of money for defensive signings. Good business. Chamakh and Cole (if he comes) may not be first-choice ahead of Van Persie or Arshavin but they do bring strength in depth.

Two centre-halves, one of whom can play right-back and a goalkeeper and we are all set.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

So I doubt that's true.

No. Cesc is on at least 100k since his last contract extension, 110k is the figure I've heard mentioned. Remember he was already on 80k at that point, and they decided to give him a retrospective pay rise. He's earning a lot more than people realise.

No. Cesc is on at least 100k since his last contract extension, 110k is the figure I've heard mentioned. Remember he was already on 80k at that point, and they decided to give him a retrospective pay rise. He's earning a lot more than people realise.

Ok so it would mean Joe Cole would be on a similair pay scale to Cesc.

Not a hope he's worth that.

Ok so it would mean Joe Cole would be on a similair pay scale to Cesc.

Not a hope he's worth that.

But then consider what it would cost to buy in someone of the same standard, you'd be talking around £15m probably, that's pretty much 100k per week for 3 years.

But then consider what it would cost to buy in someone of the same standard, you'd be talking around £15m probably, that's pretty much 100k per week for 3 years.

Yes but I think we're only getting him because he's on a free. If Chelsea wanted 10M for him and he had two years left on his contract would Arsene be interested in strengthening that position? I don't think so..

Yes but I think we're only getting him because he's on a free. If Chelsea wanted 10M for him and he had two years left on his contract would Arsene be interested in strengthening that position? I don't think so..

Getting Cole in on a free allows us to sell Rosicky for say £4 million and that frees up 50-60k in wages. That means the total cost of upgrading to Cole could be as low as around £2-4m in the additional wage outlay (well depending on signing on fee). That's pretty good value for what he offers. I certainly would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

I just saw in the Arsenal email thats Merida is gone, not a big loss anyhow.

This Cesc thing is really bugging me, but hopefully we'll get another season out of him

as for cole, if he's free great, but not worth paying for IMO with his injury proneness.

Fabianski bye bye, Almunia no 2 goalie and Wenger get someone in who can catch the ball, and Kick it out, not just throw it to the opposition

Getting Cole in on a free allows us to sell Rosicky for say £4 million and that frees up 50-60k in wages. That means the total cost of upgrading to Cole could be as low as around £2-4m in the additional wage outlay (well depending on signing on fee). That's pretty good value for what he offers. I certainly would.

Well when you put it that way...

Have set up a Cesc Transfer thread here.

So let's keep it all in there if possible.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Anyone know what the story with Senderos is? Barely played for Everton.. And haven't heard much in the way of a transfer. Wonder what'll happen to him.

• Advertisement

Sútalún wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story with Senderos is? Barely played for Everton.. And haven't heard much in the way of a transfer. Wonder what'll happen to him.

He's out of contract in the summer so I'm sure someone will pick him up for free.

Sútalún wrote: »

His contract expires at the end of the month according to most sections of the media. He'll probably start for Switzerland, so a decent showing at the World Cup and he should be able to engineer himself a decent free transfer. But so far there doesn't seem to have been anyone interested in him. It's like he is tainted.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

His contract expires at the end of the month according to most sections of the media. He'll probably start for Switzerland, so a decent showing at the World Cup and he should be able to engineer himself a decent free transfer. But so far there doesn't seem to have been anyone interested in him. It's like he is tainted.

He wasn't as bad as people make out for us. He had a few dodgy showings (anytime he was up against Drogba) but he would be a decent CB for most Prem teams I reckon. I'd take him instead of Silvestre for sure.

He was too unpredictable, he could be great all game then make a huge mistake or he could be crap and still make huge mistakes. Remember reading a keown interview where he said senderos was amazing in training but could'nt keep it together at match time.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I heard somewhere Newcastle were going to offer him a deal

Would suit their disastrous defense record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Vela scored against Italy. With his right foot too!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

playa3 wrote: »
    Vela scored against Italy. With his right foot too!:eek:

I take it he remembered his passport this time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The commentary is insane. He's like a human vuvuzela.

• Advertisement

Vela, quite possibly the most frustrating player in the world. So good for Mexico, yet so awful for Arsenal. I guess he plays a bit more central for Mexico, but still, he makes his fair share of appearances in the LWF position for them and seems to do ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Maybe someone has looked at this already but has anyone looked at the implications of the new 25-man squad rules for Arsenal.

The rules state that squads must be limited to 25 players over the age of 21, eight of whom must be home-grown. The rules are as follows: Home grown: Registered with any club affiliated to the FA or FAW (irrespective of nationality) for a period, continuous or not of three entire seasons or 36 months before he turns 21 or the end of the season in which he turns 21.

Youths: Under 21 on 1st January 2010, that means born after 2nd January 1989.

I have taken a look at the Arsenal website and at players ages and have worked out that Arsenal have exactly 25 players who are over 21. The list is as follows (Home-grown in bold):

Almunia, Fabianski, Mannone, Diaby, Sagna, Gallas, Rosicky, Fabregas, Clichy, Senderos, Eduardo, Van Persie, Denilson, Song, Djourou, Bendtner, Eboue, Nasri, Silvestre, Arshavin, Chamakh, Campbell, Vermaelen, Simpson, Gilbert

The under-21s that are close to the first-team squad are as follows:

Szczesny, Walcott, Vela, Ramsey, Traore, Wilshere, Gibbs, Eastmond, Lansbury, Nordtveit,

Altogether that gives 35 players but some of them are a long way from the first team. Interestingly there are 11 players who meet the home-grown criteria but up to four of them - Campbell, Senderos, Simpson and Gilbert - are likely to depart this summer. When you add in the two other likely departures from the 25 - Gallas and Silvestre - Wenger could theoretically sign up to six players for the squad, only one of whom (Joe Cole anyone?) needs to be designated as homegrown.

I don't think he will do that as a number of the under 21s - Walcott, Vela, Traore - are in their last year as under-21s. Either way the new squad restrictions can't be used as an excuse if we don't sign anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was thinking how pissed off Wenger must be by Rafas sacking, now the spotlight will focus on him as the great "underachiver" in recent years. (I'm not having a go by the way, its just the way the media works)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mike65 wrote: »
    I was thinking how pissed off Wenger must be by Rafas sacking, now the spotlight will focus on him as the great "underachiver" in recent years. (I'm not having a go by the way, its just the way the media works)

I'm sure he'll manage all the same.

Tbh, he's well used to it now.

He will be far more pissed off by having to fight off a bunch of Catalans for his star player and in not having found a decent gk or centre backs yet.

• Advertisement

I wonder if Mourinho is pissed off that Liverpool didnt sake Rafa sooner, he seemed to really want to go back to the premiership and he wouldve had Stephen Gerrard that he seems to want so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

gibson wrote: »
    I wonder if Mourinho is pissed off that Liverpool didnt sake Rafa sooner, he seemed to really want to go back to the premiership and he wouldve had Stephen Gerrard that he seems to want so much!

He can do better then Liverpool plus Madrid is only minding him for United

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Know what you are saying, but think people realise with the stadium move, he will be cut a little flack.

TheTosh wrote: »
    He can do better then Liverpool plus Madrid is only minding him for United

ye but hes not really gonna prove anything no matter what he wins at Real, he likes a challenge

Vela, quite possibly the most frustrating player in the world. So good for Mexico, yet so awful for Arsenal. I guess he plays a bit more central for Mexico, but still, he makes his fair share of appearances in the LWF position for them and seems to do ok.

He plays up front for Mexico us opposed to on the wing for us. Just look how good he was in the one game played this year in a 4-4-2 with Watt alongside him. Came on when we were 1-0 down and created one goal and scored the other and we won 2-1.

Unfortunately for us he seems to be the least adaptive player going so our 4-3-3 will never suit him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement