Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TheTosh wrote: »
    He can do better then Liverpool plus Madrid is only minding him for United

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What's the latest on Campbell? Last I heard he was looking at signing a 1 year deal with Celtic.

Currently looks like Vermaelen and Djourou are the only centre backs at the club. Bit of a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

What's the latest on Campbell? Last I heard he was looking at signing a 1 year deal with Celtic.

Currently looks like Vermaelen and Djourou are the only centre backs at the club. Bit of a disaster.

doesnt seem to be any update on Campbell or Gallas. Campbell says he wants to stay but its all in Arsenals court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

John Cross said in the Mirror today that Arsenal have offered Joe Cole a 3 year, £80k per week contract. He still says it'll be after the World Cup before it's resolved though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Vela scores and Fabianski keeps a clean sheet. International football is crazy..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Now that's more like we'd expect in transfer activity.

Right, Im off to ad him to my Football Manager database with -10 potential.

According to that article we have at least six Irish youths on our books. Hopefully one or two will be a success. It's been too long since we had an irish lad in the first team.

McGOLDRICK_Eddie_19940807_NF_R.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Galvasean wrote: »
    Right, Im off to ad him to my Football Manager database with -10 potential.

According to that article we have at least six Irish youths on our books. Hopefully one or two will be a success. It's been too long since we had an irish lad in the first team.

snip

Apparently none of them were actually born in Ireland though. Still though obviously that's never stopped players going on to play for the national team before.

Doesn't bother me. Andy Townsend is one of ireland's favourite sons desopite supporting England when they played Ireland shortly before he goyt called up to the Ireland squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

ha ha. Good man Jens. I miss him. :)

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12606,00.html

edit...just click on the interview below.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

What a man he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Gai Assulin has been linked to the club. Would he be a good addition if he were to sign for us? He's free as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gai Assulin has been linked to the club. Would he be a good addition if he were to sign for us? He's free as well.

He is an Israeli so should be good on the counter :pac:

All joking aside he is talented but didnt really progress in the reserves this season.

His father went to England earlier this week and held discussions with Arsenal and City.

His Barca contract is up at the end of june I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

redout wrote: »
    He is an Israeli so should be good on the counter :pac:

All joking aside he is talented but didnt really progress in the reserves this season.

His father went to England earlier this week and held discussions with Arsenal and City.

His Barca contract is up at the end of june I think.

Just wondering, from some of his appearances in the team, does he offer much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I never want to sign a youngster from Barca again.

His DNA gets too messy.

Whatever about Assulin, it looks like we've signed another young Dutch attacking CM, this time from Feyenoord.

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/06/arsenal-beat-chelsea-to-sign-feyenoords-ebecilio/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Frisbee wrote: »
    I never want to sign a youngster from Barca again.

His DNA gets too messy.
    I dunno, maybe we can sign him on a free, then mould a team around his creative play, and extract 50-60 million from Barca for his return. Then barca will put him on the bench because he isnt good enough to justify breaking up xavi-inesta.

Oh no, wait, that sounds more like cesc!

Some news on Galindo today from young guns. Apparently the club think they can get a work permit for him after United were able get one for Hernandez. If that fails he'll have to go to Spain like Vela did. He's been training with the first team too apparently, so he seems a proper prospect by all accounts.

• Advertisement

Prospects prospects! POSPECTS! IM SICK OF PROSPECTS! WE'VE BEEN GETTING NOTHING BUT 'PROSPECT' FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS! I WANNA WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm sick of us acquiring youngsters who's first team success, and emergence as top quality players coincidentally coincides with them releasing a statement of how they always wanted to play in Italy/Spain (delete as appropriate).

There is a theory that Wenger is an extremely shrewd businessman and knows when to sell a player, because when he does, they go on to be a relative failure at subsequent clubs.

I have a second theory that can also explain that phenomonon. The players aren't half as good as they are made out to be, and are therefore shown up to be what they are when they leave Arsenal.

Buying all these youngsters sickens me because it's the hype around buying them that eventually drives their price up before being sold for profit and therefore keeping the club profitable. A new rule should be brought in that when a youngster is bought there should also be a big name signing, or maybe more realistically for every five youngster there has to be one adult bought. I'm sick of seeing nothing but PROSPECTS bought, processed and sold.

Arshavin, Vermaelen, Chamakh, Eduardo, Sagna - prospects?

Seriously, moaning about us signing young players is stupid. It has **** all to do with senior signings or a lack thereof.

Oh and thanks for that leninb. I guess if the work permit application is successful he'll take Merida's squad role in the first team next season.

New bid for Koscielny in too. In the region of £8m/€10m apparently. Looks like he'll be the first signing of the Summer. Young guns saying Coquelin won't be part of the deal either.

Seems we've had two bids rejected already, but the reported valuations don't seem that far off (€5m at most) so...

• Advertisement

Seems we've had two bids rejected already, but the reported valuations don't seem that far off (€5m at most) so...

Difference is supposed to be in the clauses, apparently previous ones were heavily performance linked. Young Guns suggesting this latest offer will be straight cash up-front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Galvasean wrote: »
    Prospects prospects! POSPECTS! IM SICK OF PROSPECTS! WE'VE BEEN GETTING NOTHING BUT 'PROSPECT' FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS! I WANNA WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forever in transition :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was hoping Arse would sign an established centre back, somebody like Hangeland. And then somebody like this French guy for backup.

I'm hoping that's what's happening here, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

4 days and 3 hours until we've made the majority of our signings!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I reckon Koscielny will fit in straight away, if Wenger is willing to pay 8m for an unproven and to most an unknown player he must be good. Wenger knows good defenders and always puts a good defence together. Koscielny is going to be one of those hidden talents Wenger has a habit of finding. It will be Wenger proving again that any manager can buy world class talent but only the best managers in the world can make world class talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger knows good defenders and always puts a good defence together.
    can I have some of whatever you're smoking? It seems to be some pretty strong stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wenger knows good defenders and always puts a good defence together.

Wenger got lucky in terms of coming in with a brilliant defence already there. Ashley up the ranks and campbell on a free.

Sagna, Clichy, Vermaelon and even Gallas to a point

Sagna, Clichy, Vermaelon and even Gallas to a point

All very good players individually, but we let in far too many goals!

Sh*t keeper and the lack of a good strong player to compliment Fabregas in the midfield(because Diaby isn't cut out for it and Denilson doesn't look like fitting the bill and its in that position you's need experience) thats why goals is being leaked and being raped by injury doesn't help

Sh*t keeper and the lack of a good strong player to compliment Fabregas in the midfield(because Diaby isn't cut out for it and Denilson doesn't look like fitting the bill and its in that position you's need experience) thats why goals is being leaked and being raped by injury doesn't help

So you're just going to overlook the fact that we simply don't look solid at the back, regardless of weaknesses in other positions, that's definitely a concern!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Any sign of our new jersey yet?

The defensive problems in the team are a collective issue. It isn't simply down to the back four.

But I'm not sure how Wenger 'got lucky' with the defense. He won the premiership unbeaten with the lowest goals conceded with a defense he assembled himself. Since then he's struggled to replace Sol Campbell, but even the best managers can struggle with stuff like that and most of them would have greater resources to do so. Wenger's judge of defensive talent is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

The defensive problems in the team are a collective issue. It isn't simply down to the back four.

But I'm not sure how Wenger 'got lucky' with the defense. He won the premiership unbeaten with the lowest goals conceded with a defense he assembled himself. Since then he's struggled to replace Sol Campbell, but even the best managers can struggle with stuff like that and most of them would have greater resources to do so. Wenger's judge of defensive talent is good.
    97/98 Seaman, Bould, Adams, Winterburn, Dixon, Keown were all at the club before wenger came in. Wenger inherited a super back 5.

While wenger has signed eboue, lauren, campbell , toure, gallas and verm all to extents so far, toure was bought at a left winger. Cole came up through the youth system if i recall and he has also signed some stinkers / poor enough players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Cygan, Senderos and the likes.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    So you're just going to overlook the fact that we simply don't look solid at the back, regardless of weaknesses in other positions, that's definitely a concern!

I think 3(Sagna, Vermaelon, and Glichy)of them are solid and Koscielny will be solid too. I think your main problem was losing Fabregas and RVP, the season would of been different and you's might of won the league. When any of your defenders got injured you's didn't have any good enough replacements but when you's had your 1st choice back four they were solid. Physical teams get the better of you's because of the lack of strength in the midfield and no one in the middle is good enough to help out the defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

we have a strong first eleven. but when one gets injured....we need someone who's past puberty to fill in for him! spurs have twice as good a bench for christ's sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Fulham linked with Senderos for THREE MILLION :mad:

Fulham linked with Senderos for THREE MILLION :mad:

I thought he was a free transfer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

L'prof wrote: »
    I thought he was a free transfer!

We have to pay ye compensation or something as he is under 23.

stevefinn wrote: »
    we have a strong first eleven. but when one gets injured....we need someone who's past puberty to fill in for him! spurs have twice as good a bench for christ's sake!

Did Arsenal ever have a strong squad though even in the unbeaten season, I always felt you's had a strong team but never a strong squad

He's 25.
    SDTimeOut wrote:
    While wenger has signed eboue, lauren, campbell , toure, gallas and verm all to extents so far, toure was bought at a left winger. Cole came up through the youth system if i recall and he has also signed some stinkers / poor enough players.
    Toure wasn't bought as a left winger. He was a CB prior to coming to Arsenal and was used in other positions to develop him, as he's done with a host of other players. He was developed into a top class CB by Wenger, while he developed Cashley into a top class LB.

He's signed or developed Cashley, Clichy, Sylvinho, Lauren, Sagna, Campbell, Toure, Vermaelen and Gallas. Pretty good for a manager who got lucky.

Nice one, he's a decent player and worth more than that though...not too much mind.
    Did Arsenal ever have a strong squad though even in the unbeaten season, I always felt you's had a strong team but never a strong squad

Looks fairly strong in '04!

16jdy8.png

The squad last season had better depth than The Invincibles. What the Invincibles had was a brilliant core of players who didn't get injured. When they did in 2002/03, their league campaign collapsed dramatically in a similar fashion to 07/08 and 09/10.

• Advertisement

I expect a lot more goals from you's next season with RVP back and Chamakh up front its definitely something you's missed last season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement