Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

He's 25.

But ye developed him when he was under 23.

I'm not sure on the ruling but the Mirror say we have to pay you 3 million in compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

He's 25.

Toure wasn't bought as a left winger. He was a CB prior to coming to Arsenal and was used in other positions to develop him, as he's done with a host of other players. He was developed into a top class CB by Wenger, while he developed Cashley into a top class LB.

He's signed or developed Cashley, Clichy, Sylvinho, Lauren, Sagna, Campbell, Toure, Vermaelen and Gallas. Pretty good for a manager who got lucky.

My lucky comment was specifically in relation to the 97/98 reason btw. I'm almost sure i remember toure starting out at a midfielder...

In terms of our recent defenders believe me i love everyone of them and rate them highly. Yet there is no denying over the past season or two we have conceded very very stupid goals from defensive errors. I know kolo and gallas had their spats but we seen it this season too. I don't know if it's they have not gelled yet as a team or if gallas's departure will help ( i think it will ).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I think Gallas was finished half way through the season and him going will be good but you's are in a bad way for a keeper, someone whose reliable and can pull off saves that keeps teams in games, that with an experienced DM and you's will be title contenders again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

TheTosh wrote: »
    I think Gallas was finished half way through the season and him going will be good but you's are in a bad way for a keeper, someone whose reliable and can pull off saves that keeps teams in games, that with an experienced DM and you's will be title contenders again

I think this is the main problem that other fans are very quick to tell us are problems while well off the mark.

We have a keeper who can pull of saves to keep us in games, infact we have 3 of those. Fantastic shot stopping keepers what we need is a keeeper with good decision making ability. I would gladly sign a keeper with worse shot stopping ability if he could confidently claim crosses and command his area.

Also an established DM why do we need one of those ? Alex Song has had the season of his life and taken that DM role for himself. He only missed parts of the season from so many yellow cards iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'm not sure on the ruling but the Mirror say we have to pay you 3 million in compensation.

That's a nice bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The defensive problems in the team are a collective issue. It isn't simply down to the back four.

Damn straight. I've been harping on for a good while now about the gaps between the CBs and FBs our current formation leaves. That and Song pushed forward a bit too much in the second half of the season left our CBs awfully exposed. Better CBs might limit the damage caused on the counter, but it's a fundamental flaw of the system we are playing at the moment. Hopefully as Song gets more experience of the position he'll learn when to drop deep a bit more and stem it a bit, but we also need the front men to work a lot harder off the ball.
    But ye developed him when he was under 23.

I think there's some weird FIFA rule that entitles a club to be compensated for developing the player on his first transfer even if that player is no longer under contract. And as Senderos is a product of the academy and has never moved before there is some recompense due. I remember hearing something like that in relation to a few former LOI players moving to England before. I don't think it would be anywhere near 3 million though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This gave me a good laugh when I got in from work.

Wenger only got lucky with inheriting a good defense and forgetting all the good defenders he has signed, loltastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

TheTosh....please stop sayin "you's"!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There are a couple of promising young Irish lads at the club now signing pro deals; t'would be lovely if one or two could make it into the first team squad one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Probably another Graham Barret or Stokes.

Arsenal.com taking pre-orders of the away kit from the 15th. A little teaser image with Chamakh is on the home site, seems to suggest it will be yellow.

Arsenal.com taking pre-orders of the away kit from the 15th. A little teaser image with Chamakh is on the home site, seems to suggest it will be yellow.

Awesome, although I have last season's yellow one so might not bother. Have to say I always like when we have yellow away kits, better than the navy this year anyway.

here's the teaser:

f68d87d9b60f5fbb98fbd0dfbb206852.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bit rich asking you to preorder it based on a teaser... Can you cancel the order (without being charged anything) if it turns out to be cack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

You only enter your email address now to receive pics of the kit when its officially launched.

You don't actually hand over any money until you see it.

Its just a marketing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Roaster wrote: »
    Pave the way for selling Hangeland?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Pave the way for selling Hangeland?

Or just back-up as Smalling is gone to Utd. I read somewhere we could be due compensation on this deal, don't know how true it is though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Slightly modified version (more accurate position assignments) of the Arsenal squad page, what it'd look like with the 3 out of contract CBs gone...

modsquad-2.jpg

• Advertisement

Sagna - Vermaelen - Djourou - Clichy

BANG!! Injury to Vermaelen, then to Djourou. What looked to be a league winning season has no turned into a crisis with Fabianski now playing CB with Mannone. Can't wait for the season to start :D:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Senderos has really changed!

_48025207_-26.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah he looks like Peter Stringer

I have to say I feel a bit sorry for Senderos, while he's fallen far short of his original promise he had to endure a fairly tough time of it. Hopefully Hodgson will stick with Fulham and be able to bring out the qualities that made him such a prize as a teenager.

I beginning to think Arsenal will much better off when Gallas leaves.
    France defender William Gallas launches silent protest against manager Raymond Domenech
    Defender announces World Cup media blackout...

France defender William Gallas has launched a silent protest against manager Raymond Domenech's decision to not name him captain by refusing to speak to the press.

Regular skipper Thierry Henry is expected to be on the substitutes' bench throughout World Cup 2010, which has left the role up for grabs. The Arsenal defender was expected to wear the armband, but Manchester United's Patrice Evra was favoured in the recent friendlies against China and Costa Rica.

A spokesman for the France team announced to the press today: "William has decided not to speak with the media throughout the World Cup."

Gallas has gained a reputation as a troublemaker throughout his career. Famously, he was removed as Arsenal skipper after criticising the bravery of his team-mates in November 2008.

Les Blues' build-up for the tournament has been blighted with disruption. Disquiet about Domenech's presence, the announcement that Laurent Blanc will take over after the tournament and last weekend's 1-0 loss to China have all affected the squad.

Despite their problems, the 1998 winners are still expected to cause a few problems in South Africa. Indeed, even with Gallas' media silence, Castrol Football's in-depth assessments of everything World Cup related reveals that France have a 69.3 per cent chance of finishing top of Group A.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/06/08/1965390/france-defender-william-gallas-launches-silent-protest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bit rich asking you to preorder it based on a teaser... Can you cancel the order (without being charged anything) if it turns out to be cack?

Arsenal jerseys are never cack...oh...wait....

arsenal-away-kit-1991.jpg

does anyone else think that steven taylor would be a solid signing?

stevefinn wrote: »
    does anyone else think that steven taylor would be a solid signing?

Not especially, no!

i always thought he was a brave and solid player and dangerous from set pieces. be a great squad player at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

He's solid in the sense that he'd make a good door-stop or bollard. But as a footballer, I only want to see him at the Emirates for one game next year.

Shocking attitude during contract negotiations a few years ago too I seem to recall. Plus he's responsible for this:

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Compilation of Szczesny saves from last season:

And while I'm at it, this was (not surprisingly) voted the club's best ever save last week:

It still amazes me every time...

I wouldn't want Steven Taylor within a hundred miles of the club.

Class :D

knvb_supporter_shirt_01.jpg

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Compilation of Szczesny saves from last season:

And while I'm at it, this was (not surprisingly) voted the club's best ever save last week:

It still amazes me every time...

that seaman save is orgasmic!

L'prof wrote: »
    Senderos has really changed!

_48025207_-26.jpg

At least he hasn't come out with, "I've been a fan of this club all my life, it's my dream to play here" usual yadda yadda...

(Also does he look like a white Silvestre in that photo?)

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote: »
    At least he hasn't come out with, "I've been a fan of this club all my life, it's my dream to play here" usual yadda yadda...

(Also does he look like a white Silvestre in that photo?)

It's not him!

jaysus L'Prof you were up early!^^^^

I dreamt we signed Iniesta last night.

I really hope that was a prophetic dream.

joe cole and michael ballack are to be released when their contracts expire at the end of the month

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_6197951,00.html

Frisbee wrote: »
    I dreamt we signed Iniesta last night.

I really hope that was a prophetic dream.

Oh brilliant, another slight little f*cker too afraid to shoot. :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He doesn't need to shoot...

But at least when Iniesta doesn't shoot he does something worthwhile with the ball most of the time, as opposed to our pack of nothing pass merchants.

Ush1 wrote: »
    He doesn't need to shoot...

Pfft... excessive risk taking and needless over-complication. He should have hit it first time to Touré, who had no one around him and would have been able to launch the counter quicker.

Pfft... excessive risk taking and needless over-complication. He should have hit it first time to Touré, who had no one around him and would have been able to launch the counter quicker.

When you're that good there's no risk, was Real Madrid they were playing, and the counter looked just as quick with a player already on the gallop on that side. Not to mention he sucked in more Madrid players.

Shoots when it matters most ;)

When you're that good there's no risk, was Real Madrid they were playing, and the counter looked just as quick with a player already on the gallop on that side. Not to mention he sucked in more Madrid players.

1) The fullback was at full tilt and was being tracked. Not to mention their was a fullback in position to close down as he received. The risk of losing possession during such a play is considerable no matter how good the team.

2) Secondly, the Madrid midfield were already drawn into their right flank, leaving much more space in the centre. A quick ball to Touré offers the team a lot more options on the counter. For example Touré could then direct the ball quickly for an attack Barca's right flank.

3) That's also an exhibition of absolutely awful defending.

In the first stage the Madrid midfielder stays in line with the forward making to attempt to cover any ground. Instead he should have covered the overlap and forced the Barca defender back across his own goal.

In the second stage, all three Madrid players close Iniesta down. That's like watching 5 year olds all running after the ball.

In the final stage, the defender lunges into a needless tackle. He should have stayed on his feet and ushered the Barca player into the path of the covering defender.

1) The fullback was at full tilt and was being tracked. Not to mention their was a fullback in position to close down as he received. The risk of losing possession during such a play is considerable no matter how good the team.

2) Secondly, the Madrid midfield were already drawn into their right flank, leaving much more space in the centre. A quick ball to Touré offers the team a lot more options on the counter. For example Touré could then direct the ball quickly for an attack Barca's right flank.

3) That's also an exhibition of absolutely awful defending.

In the first stage the Madrid midfielder stays in line with the forward making to attempt to cover any ground. Instead he should have covered the overlap and forced the Barca defender back across his own goal.

In the second stage, all three Madrid players close Iniesta down. That's like watching 5 year olds all running after the ball.

In the final stage, the defender lunges into a needless tackle. He should have stayed on his feet and ushered the Barca player into the path of the covering defender.

Why? There might be Madrid players there ready to defend. A number of Madrid players had been sucked to the Barca left side and now they were all behind a player running with the ball making ground with his head up.

Call it shocking defending but it's the best Barca play against in La Liga and the thing is Iniesta is that good that he can toy with them.

Why? There might be Madrid players there ready to defend. A number of Madrid players had been sucked to the left side and now they were behind a player running with the ball making ground with his head up.

Call it shocking defending but it's the best Barca play against in La Liga and the thing is Iniesta is that good that he can toy with them.

The way they launched the attack there the it looked like the Barca player was running at full tilt into the territory of a Madrid defender. If the defender held his ground well the Barca attacker would have had to check his run, losing a wee bit of momentum, potentially allowing those three Madrid players who were left for dead back into the picture.

Going through Touré (or is it Abidal) you could spread the play better. Touré on the ball in the middle sucking in the defenders toward him, the Barca defender continuing his run down the left and a couple of Barca attackers free right of centre looking to get behind the Madrid lines... In this case Barca would be attacking down the full width of the pitch and should provide a more direct method of attack. At the very least it gives more options.

Tbf Iniesta is good but all the information you've gone through there lenin is an awful lot to process in the split second you have to make a decision on the pitch. You can't make the perfect decision everytime.

Yeah, soooo......Iniesta is great eh?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement