Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Roaster wrote: »
    It's got to the stage now that with Almunia out of the team it will be a positive even if his replacement is only a kid. Time to take your chance Mannone. Oh and I'm also glad Denilson isn't travelling. Give Ramsey a run out Wenger!

Jayzus he has a few bad games and all of a sudden he's the worst keeper in the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kolo Toure wrote: »

Kolo Toure has rounded on his former Arsenal team-mates for the treatment of Emmanuel Adebayor. Adebayorspacer.gif is expected to learn his fate on Tuesday for his alleged stamp on Robin van Persie,spacer.gif and his overzealous goal celebrations in the 4-2 victory on Saturday.
    But Tourespacer.gif insists that Adebayor's treatment at the hands of his former colleagues even before the match was 'unacceptable'.
    "I am astounded because he has received blows from all the Arsenal players," Toure told the Sun.
    "Even though he was the first to go and salute them in the tunnel, even those who had an affinity with him didn't want to shake his hand.
    "For me that is unacceptable."

Celebration

Toure admitted Adebayor's confrontation with the fans was regrettable.
    "There was a very difficult moment with the supporters," he said.
    "At the start of the game they were whistling at him as if he never brought anything to the club. It was hard.
    "I don't caution him for his gesture although I tried to stop him and I also have apologised to the fans. It's not to them that he should do this.
    "I told him that this was not a good thing and he apologised. The problem is that they booed him while they applauded me.
    "It was a reaction of pride. The whole world could have a reaction like that."
    Toure also defended Adebayor's move insisting that it was not financially motivated.
    "Certain people want others to believe he left for the money but we know he was pushed to leave. I know it because I was present," he said.
    "I firmly believe he left to bring money to the club.

i just think it's interesting to note that there's always two sides to the story.

i'm not a fan of Adebayor, and am fully behind banning him for the stamp on VP.

but in terms of the celebration I'm not surprised he did what he did, even though again, it was a very stupid thing to do.

i know it's a rag, and we'll see in due course if the quotes are in context, but Toure has been very complimentary to Arsenal in any interview he's done; so if he's criticising ex teammates it might hold a bit of merit.

players did noticably go after Ade throughout the match, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just think it's interesting to note that there's always two sides to the story.

i'm not a fan of Adebayor, and am fully behind banning him for the stamp on VP.

but in terms of the celebration I'm not surprised he did what he did, even though again, it was a very stupid thing to do.

i know it's a rag, and we'll see in due course if the quotes are in context, but Toure has been very complimentary to Arsenal in any interview he's done; so if he's criticising ex teammates it might hold a bit of merit.

players did noticably go after Ade throughout the match, for whatever reason.

Whilst I admit there are two sides to every story perhaps Adebayor is just not a nice person and nobody got on with him at Arsenal apart from the other African players. This is the same the guy who head butted Bendtner on the pitch when they were both playing on the same team! Plus he was always in and out of his national squad for various spats with managers and players. I wouldn't be surprised if he's causing trouble within City's camp sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Frisbee wrote: »

Areas of the pitch we have cover in though.
    Mannone
    Sagna Gallas Vermaelen Clichy
    Song Diaby
    Eboue Fab Rosicky
    Eduardo

I think Rosicky should start, even if he's nowhere near match fit he can do a job for a half or 60 mins. Get the job done, get him off. Bendtner could start instead of Eboue also.

Lads anyone know if the match is on anywhere but Sky tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Lads anyone know if the match is on anywhere but Sky tonight?

Setanta Ireland

PS: Paddy Power is always a good source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Well, not a totally convincing performance last night from the lads but at least it might give them some confidence to be able to come back from a goal or two down (albeit against a mediocre side). It was good to see Rosicky getting another hour of competitive football under his belt without limping off, although he did drift in and out of the game.

Denilson out for "a few weeks" according to AW. A month into the season and the usual injury crap is starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Whats the story with Nasri...thought he was due back by now, even allowing for AW's optimistic estimate on recovery time

• Advertisement

Whats the story with Nasri...thought he was due back by now, even allowing for AW's optimistic estimate on recovery time

He wont even start training until early October. Dont forget he missed a large chunk of pre-season so he's gonna take time to get his sharpness back. Might be close to Christmas before he's properly match ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hey Arsenal fans. Bit of FF help needed. Is it likely that Rosicky will start at the weekend against Wigan?

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hey Arsenal fans. Bit of FF help needed. Is it likely that Rosicky will start at the weekend against Wigan?

I think so, he mightn't get the full 90 minutes though!

I reckon so. with Arshavin and Nasri our Diaby will start on the wing.
    And Denilson is still injured so it will be Rosicky or Ramsey in there.
    I'd tip Rosicky to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Certainly hope so, Iv just signed him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Van Persie passed fit for Wigan game.

Anyone have the highlights of the Standard game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Galvasean wrote: »

Great news... No highlights, here are some lowlights ;)

http://footycast.com/video/champions-league/631-standard-liege-vs-arsenal.html

That footycast website is great, highlights of any game

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3436311/

Arsenalist.com is another good one for highlights and goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Anybody think Cesc looked a bit subdued after scoring today?

I think he picked up a knock towards the end of the game but couldn't be taken off cause Arsenal had used all their subs. Hope its just a minor thing. The fact he managed to score would suggest it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just back from london now having been at the game. Very good result and an enjoyable match even without taking a lot of chances, especially in the first half. Vermaelen's second was a thing of beauty. And everyone shouting shoooot afterwards when he got the ball in his own half :pac:

I dunno if it was picked up on camera's or not but after Eduardo/Eboue(?) scored, Eboue ran over and slid towards the corner on his knees:p

Also here's a pic of the the big ass mural for the 'arsenalisation' of the stadium.
    DSC_0013.jpg

playa3 wrote: »
    Just back from london now having been at the game. Very good result and an enjoyable match even without taking a lot of chances, especially in the first half. Vermaelen's second was a thing of beauty. And everyone shouting shoooot afterwards when he got the ball in his own half :pac:

I dunno if it was picked up on camera's or not but after Eduardo/Eboue(?) scored, Eboue ran over and slid towards the corner on his knees:p

Also here's a pic of the the big ass mural for the 'arsenalisation' of the stadium.
    DSC_0013.jpg

Is that Bergkamp with the turtle shell on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Meh, it was the last goal in a 4-0 win. I can see why Fabgreas wouldn't want to make a song and dance about it.

Hopefully, as captain, he's still hurting too much from the Manchester defeats as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He was most likely hurting from being injured and hobbling around for the previous 10 minutes.

Have you seen Henry's reaction to Adeboyor?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/incoming/Arsenal-old-boy-Thierry-Henry-slates-Emmanuel-Adebayor-for-lack-of-respect-article164545.html
    I won the treble with Barcelona last year, but I know if it wasn’t for Arsene Wenger and Arsenal I would not be the player I am today. I think the same has to be true of Adebayor. He might be one of the world’s top strikers today, but he wasn’t before Arsene got hold of him and gave him that chance.

When he came from Monaco he wasn’t even getting games back in France and then within two seasons he was a player who was wanted by a lot of top clubs in Europe.

Arsene puts a lot of investment in you when he sees talent and I don’t think it would hurt for Adebayor to show him, the club and the fans a little more respect.

I miss his classiness and loyalty to the club :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Have you seen Henry's reaction to Adeboyor?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/incoming/Arsenal-old-boy-Thierry-Henry-slates-Emmanuel-Adebayor-for-lack-of-respect-article164545.html

I miss his classiness and loyalty to the club :(

Classy, no doubt.
    What i wouldn't give to have Henry back at the club.:(
    He may be also partly responsible for Adebayor's arrogance.
    Henry was arrogant at times (in a talented way) and i think it rubbed off on Adebayor.
    His first and second season with Henry , he was copying all the dance moves, remonstrating to other players etc.
    I knew Ade would turn into a pre-madonna.

What i can't understand is Mark Hughes backing a player who gets banned for 3+ matches right when your about to play your biggest rivals.
    City should have fined him themselves on top of it to ensure the other pre-modonna's get the message in the squad.

I did and it didn't look like an injury to me.
    He didn't even say thanks to Bendtner for the inch perfect pass.:confused:
    It looked more like a player who knows this team isn't winning anything anytime soon.
    I feel this could be Fabregas' last season at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Come off it, a manager will never publicly condemn a player no matter what the transgression is. Our own one is particularly adept at it ;)

AW owned up to the I didn't see it thing there recently actually :pac:

cson wrote: »
    Come off it, a manager will never publicly condemn a player no matter what the transgression is. Our own one is particularly adept at it ;)

AW owned up to the I didn't see it thing there recently actually :pac:

AW is the king of that allright.

It looked more like a player who knows this team isn't winning anything anytime soon.

He did get a knock and was hobbling around for a good 5/10 minutes before getting the goal. Also it was the goal to go 4-0 up in the last minute against wigan, not really one to go mad about.

• Advertisement

playa3 wrote: »
    He did get a knock and was hobbling around for a good 5/10 minutes before getting the goal. Also it was the goal to go 4-0 up in the last minute against wigan, not really one to go mad about.

No, but you should at least acknowledge the pass from a team mate, especially one so accurate right infront of goal.
    he didn't even look at him.
    Thats not like a professional happy in his team.:confused:

Lads who celebrates properly after scoring a goal putting you four clear?

i know I wouldnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lads who celebrates properly after scoring a goal putting you four clear?

i know I wouldnt

Eboue :p

No, but you should at least acknowledge the pass from a team mate, especially one so accurate right infront of goal.
    he didn't even look at him.

What are you on about? He jogged over to Bendtner and gave him a double high five.

Anyone see Eboue's hand of God attempt? What the heck is that lad like?

jasonorr wrote: »
    Is that Bergkamp with the turtle shell on?

Think it's just supposed to be a mystery goalkeeper

Anyone see Eboue's hand of God attempt? What the heck is that lad like?

He thinks he's a ninja

He thinks he's a ninja

Cause he's black? Racist! :eek::pac:

Cause he's black? Racist! :eek::pac:

Ninja's are Asian, jeeeeez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This is reading a bit too much into it and TBH you'd have to figure that he'd celebrate an important goal a bit differently.

I'd imagine that he's realised that there's no real victory for Arsenal in tonking a poor enough, allbeit transitory, Wigan side and that the love-in that some of our players and supporters take part in during and following our stylish performances vrs lower sides is a bit self-indulgent and short-sighted considering we just lost two games in Manchester that we should have won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

gosplan wrote: »
    This is reading a bit too much into it and TBH you'd have to figure that he'd celebrate an important goal a bit differently.

I'd imagine that he's realised that there's no real victory for Arsenal in tonking a poor enough, allbeit transitory, Wigan side and that the love-in that some of our players and supporters take part in during and following our stylish performances vrs lower sides is a bit self-indulgent and short-sighted considering we just lost two games in Manchester that we should have won.

I agree with WC on this. Cesc has been brutal so far this season and to me he looks like Vieira and TH in their final seasons, i.e they just don't seem to be trying as hard as they used to.

gosplan wrote: »

I agree with the love-in comment. It should be a given that we convincingly beat sides of the standard of this current Wigan team at home. Getting carried away with it doesn't bode well for the ambition of the club. Even the official site is laden today with plaudits and free wallpapers to download with pictures of the victory. We are starting to look like Spurs!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/team-news

I wonder how he's going to manage to fit in both Traore and Gibbs?
    I'd imagine it might be a 4-4-2 like:

Szczesny

---Hoyte(?)
    Senderos
    Silvestre
    Gibbs---

Wilshere
    Coquelin
    Ramsey
    Traore----

Watt
    Vela

Eboue could certainly play instead of Hoyte.
    Or maybe drop Coquelin, push Wilshere into the middle and play Merida out right.

Or even a 4-3-3 like:

Szczesny

---Hoyte(?)
    Senderos
    Silvestre
    Gibbs---

Wilshere
    Coquelin
    Ramsey

Watt
    Vela
    Traore

Or maybe drop Coquelin, push Wilshere into the middle and play Merida out right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Szczesny

---Hoyte(?)
    Senderos
    Silvestre
    Gibbs---

Wilshere
    Coquelin
    Ramsey
    Traore----

Watt
    Vela

Or even a 4-3-3 like:

Szczesny

---Hoyte(?)
    Senderos
    Silvestre
    Gibbs---

Wilshere
    Coquelin
    Ramsey

Watt
    Vela
    Traore

dont think merida is around, i think he's at the u20 WC in Egypt??

and im of the opinion Coquelin will start - Wenger's a big fan and i must say judging on the very limited viewing Ive had of him , I am too. I think Wenger might see him as a future DM competing for Song's position.

This isn't going to be an easy match. WBA are flying and could well beat us.

Premier League Record:
    Reading               4   4   0   0  11   2   9  12 3.00
    Watford               4   4   0   0   9   3   6  12 3.00
    Barnsley              2   2   0   0   7   0   7   6 3.00
    Wolves                2   2   0   0   6   1   5   6 3.00
    Wigan                 9   8   1   0  21   6  15  25 2.78
    Ipswich              10   8   2   0  23   4  19  26 2.60
    Man City             25  19   3   3  48  18  30  60 2.40
    Charlton             16  12   2   2  36  12  24  38 2.38
    Fulham               16  12   2   2  33   9  24  38 2.38
    West Brom             8   6   1   1  18   8  10  19 2.38
    Derby                14  10   3   1  27  11  16  33 2.36
    Leicester            16  10   5   1  38  13  25  35 2.19
    Crystal Palace        8   5   2   1  16   5  11  17 2.13
    Everton              35  22   8   5  73  28  45  74 2.11
    Birmingham           10   6   3   1  19   5  14  21 2.10
    Nottingham Forest    10   6   3   1  13   7   6  21 2.10
    Portsmouth           13   7   6   0  24   7  17  27 2.08
    Southampton          26  15   7   4  50  24  26  52 2.00
    Sunderland           16   9   5   2  30  11  19  32 2.00
    Oldham                4   2   2   0   4   1   3   8 2.00
    Swindon               2   1   1   0   5   1   4   4 2.00
    Middlesbrough        28  16   7   5  62  26  36  55 1.96
    Coventry             18  10   5   3  25  13  12  35 1.94
    West Ham             28  16   6   6  40  17  23  54 1.93
    Bolton               20  11   5   4  32  22  10  38 1.90
    Blackburn            30  16   7   7  51  26  25  55 1.83
    Villa                34  16  12   6  53  30  23  60 1.76
    Newcastle            32  16   8   8  46  27  19  56 1.75
    Bradford              4   2   1   1   6   3   3   7 1.75
    Chelsea              34  16  11   7  50  39  11  59 1.74
    Leeds                24  12   4   8  43  25  18  40 1.67
    Norwich               8   3   4   1  17   9   8  13 1.63
    Spurs                34  13  16   5  51  36  15  55 1.62
    MK Dons              16   7   4   5  30  16  14  25 1.56
    Sheffield Wednesday  16   7   4   5  21  16   5  25 1.56
    Sheffield United      6   2   3   1   9   4   5   9 1.50
    Stoke                 2   1   0   1   5   3   2   3 1.50
    Hull                  2   1   0   1   4   3   1   3 1.50
    Man United           35  10  11  14  34  45 -11  41 1.17
    Liverpool            34   9  11  14  36  48 -12  38 1.12
    QPR                   8   1   5   2   7   8  -1   8 1.00

This Season v Previous Seasons:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2009-2010:   5   3   0   2  17   8   9   9
    2008-2009:   5   4   0   1  11   2   9  12 ( 4th)
    2007-2008:   5   4   1   0  10   4   6  13 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007:   5   2   2   1   6   3   3   8 ( 4th)
    2005-2006:   5   3   0   2   9   4   5   9 ( 4th)
    2004-2005:   5   5   0   0  19   5  14  15 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004:   5   4   1   0  11   3   8  13 ( 1st)
    2002-2003:   5   3   2   0  12   6   6  11 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002:   5   3   1   1  13   4   9  10 ( 1st)
    2000-2001:   5   2   2   1  10   7   3   8 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000:   5   3   1   1   7   4   3  10 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999:   5   1   4   0   3   2   1   7 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998:   5   2   3   0   9   5   4   9 ( 1st)
    1996-1997:   5   2   2   1   9   7   2   8 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996:   5   2   3   0   5   2   3   9 ( 5th)
    1994-1995:   5   1   2   2   3   4  -1   5 (12th)
    1993-1994:   5   4   0   1   6   4   2  12 ( 4th)
    1992-1993:   5   3   0   2   8   6   2   9 (10th)

Rolling Season:
    2009-2010:  38  19  12   7  74  43  31  69

Current Run:
    2009-2010:   1   1   0   0   4   0   4   3

Szczesny

---Hoyte(?)
    Senderos
    Silvestre
    Gibbs---

Wilshere
    Coquelin
    Ramsey
    Traore----

Watt
    Vela

Or even a 4-3-3 like:

Szczesny

---Hoyte(?)
    Senderos
    Silvestre
    Gibbs---

Wilshere
    Coquelin
    Ramsey

Watt
    Vela
    Traore

Vela is injured no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

keano_afc wrote: »
    Vela is injured no?

He was but he's back tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

keano_afc wrote: »
    Vela is injured no?

From Arsenal.com
    Polish keeper Wojciech Szczesny is set for his debut and Carlos Vela will play his first game of the season after an ankle injury.

So looks like Vela will play some part I am looking forward to seeing him and his chips
    Anyone get good streams feel free to post, you won't be judged :p

Arsenal at -1 and Vela to score will be my bets for tonight.

I heart Vela

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

no doubt it'll be a sumptuous delicate chip to round off a hat trick for the mexican!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

guessing no one has a stream for this evenings match? would like to see how the youths are coming along!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement