Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fabregas scored one in Spain's 6-0 mauling of Poland yesterday.
    Oh, and for anyone wondering, Fabianski did not play that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

stevefinn wrote: »
    jaysus L'Prof you were up early!^^^^

Cycled to work this morning, nearly killed me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    You can't make the perfect decision everytime.

Tell that to:
    xavitp.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

L'prof wrote: »
    Cycled to work this morning, nearly killed me!

good man yourself! :D

Anyone hear this before? Ljunberg's injury problems in his later years in the Prem were apparently because he was playing with a dodgy hip that went undiagnosed. Makes you wonder if the medical team are up to scratch...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/06/09/1967103/ex-arsenal-star-freddie-ljungberg-thanks-seattle-sounders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Remember it was common knowledge that his hip was dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So Fulham have turned down our bid for Schwarzer. Good stop gap if we got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

keano_afc wrote: »
    So Fulham have turned down our bid for Schwarzer. Good stop gap if we got him.

Thing is, he'd be a stopgap until Wenger decides Fabianski is number 1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

According to Goal.com we have signed Cole depending on him passing a stringent medical after the World Cup. His wages with be £80k per week.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2565/exclusives/2010/06/10/1967603/revealed-joe-cole-has-signed-a-contract-to-join-arsenal

80K per week, thats b*ll*x, he was on that or more at chelski.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

80K per week, thats b*ll*x, he was on that or more at chelski.

but he is probably getting a nice big sign on bonus here too aint he?

but he is probably getting a nice big sign on bonus here too aint he?

He'll be looking at a signing on fee of around £5-6m I'd say. That would bring his total earnings up to about the same he could expect from a £120k contract.

John Cross seems to be certain he wont go to Arsenal though so I don't think there's much to those rumours on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Don't really see where we'd fit him in tbh; he strikes me as a similar player to Arshavin.

As for goalkeepers; Rob Green tbh. Wouldn't cost crazy money, solid if unspectacular and he's relatively young at ~30 for a keeper.

Oh and btw; Stringent medical.... Arsenal physio team.... *chortle*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Schwarzer would be a decent signing. Would prefer if he was a few years younger but at least it appears as if we're looking for a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

playa3 wrote: »
    Schwarzer would be a decent signing. Would prefer if he was a few years younger but at least it appears as if we're looking for a keeper.

I'm just happy about that tbh.

John Cross seems to be certain he wont go to Arsenal though so I don't think there's much to those rumours on goal.

It'll be us or Spurs I'd say. He'll likely want to stay in London, I'm guessing Spurs with 'Arrys influence though.

THe Koscielny rumour seems to be taking up pace. Anyone know anything about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Galvasean wrote: »
    THe Koscielny rumour seems to be taking up pace. Anyone know anything about him?

He's French(ish), untried at the highest level and cheap. Therefore, an ideal Wenger signing.

• Advertisement

The new Pascal Cygan? :p

[Really I mean -> :eek:]

cson wrote: »
    The new Pascal Cygan? :p

[Really I mean -> :eek:]

As long as it does'nt take Wenger 2-3 years to figure out he's sh1te.

He's had a great season in France by all accounts. There are a few short youtube clips of him and from that he looks a little like Vermaelen tbh. Good at attacking the ball and throwing himself about, but a little rough around the edges tactically and not quite as good on the ball. Now that could be a totally awful description, but there's not much to go on.

The rumours have actually slowed a bit on this one though. There's been no word of the supposed €10m straight cash offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

As long as it does'nt take Wenger 2-3 years to figure out he's sh1te.

Well as long as he's big, white, fairly dopey looking and baldy with a head a that probably resembles his arse.

With Cygan gone and Silvestre and Senderos going, we need someone to step up to the plate there.

In all seriousness though, Joe Cole last year would have far more of an impact than Rosicky, Vela, and Diaby when we have to play him in an attacking role. I can see Vela improving (I can also see him going) but that's not a good enough reason to let a player like him on a free pass by.

Snap him up I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seems to me he will definitely sign for Arsenal. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6199427,00.html

JPA wrote: »
    Seems to me he will definitely sign for Arsenal. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6199427,00.html

Wenger is always pretty positive when asked about individuals so I wouldn't read into it too much.

If Cole does sign though I'd imagine it'll be the end of Rosicky's time in London. He didn't exactly do much to justfiy that contract extension Arséne gave him. Although I also still think there's a possibility Arsene will look to offload Arshavin if an offer comes. Blah... so many what-ifs :D

Ok, say we sign [ed] these three;

Joe Cole
    Mark Schwarzer
    Something Koscielny

Is that enough to mount a decent challenge on one front at least next season? I think not unfortunately. We are absolutely bereft of CBs should as expected Gallas-Silvestre leave, Senderos is gone and Campbell we don't know. I can only assume Nordveit will be in the squad next season and even then we could do with another CB. Vermaelen-Koscielny-Djourou-Nordveit-Campbell.... hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Does anyone else feel Barca's whoring around Cesc is very similar to Real Madrid's chase of Ronaldo... I thought Barca were supposed to be the team that deal appropriately with this matters...

Does anyone else feel Barca's whoring around Cesc is very similar to Real Madrid's chase of Ronaldo... I thought Barca were supposed to be the team that deal appropriately with this matters...

Sorry to be curt but the Cesc thread is that-a-way --->

I thought Barca were supposed to be the team that deal appropriately with this matters...

laughingm.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

cson wrote: »
    Ok, say we sign [ed] these three;

Joe Cole
    Mark Schwarzer
    Something Koscielny

Is that enough to mount a decent challenge on one front at least next season? I think not unfortunately. We are absolutely bereft of CBs should as expected Gallas-Silvestre leave, Senderos is gone and Campbell we don't know. I can only assume Nordveit will be in the squad next season and even then we could do with another CB. Vermaelen-Koscielny-Djourou-Nordveit-Campbell.... hmmm.

Dont forget Chamakh as well :D

Centre back all depends how good this guy Koscielny might be. If he had an impact like Vermaelen did that could be our centre back pairing straight away. Then you've got Djourou, possibly Campbell, Nordveit, Bartley but I wouldnt like to be relying on the last 2. I think we'd still need another experienced centre back. Djourou's been out a long time and seems pretty injury prone. I never want Arsenal to have to rely on someone like Silvestre playing centre back.

Wenger has used Song there as well maybe he'll see him as an emergency 4th choice...i hope not because at the minute weve no one that can cover when Song is out. Denilson not good enough, Diaby useless (yes I know hes playing that role but apparently French media think he had a great season! :eek::rolleyes:)

gibson wrote: »
    Diaby useless (yes I know hes playing that role but apparently French media think he had a great season! :eek::rolleyes:)

Diabyis the kind of player that you could make a great youtube slideshow of because he does things every now and again that are PFM. Unfortunately he also cocks up simple stuff far too frequently.

Diabyis the kind of player that you could make a great youtube slideshow of because he does things every now and again that are PFM. Unfortunately he also cocks up simple stuff far too frequently.

Diaby is a headless chicken at times, he seems to rarely look up when he's on the ball. Pretty good technique, but runs into trouble. The reason he looks so good is when defences stand off and look to congest Arsenal's play, that gives him space. But press him, and the vast majority of the time he'll just run into the player. He could easily turn it around given his natural ability, but he just doesn't seem to have the right mindset. If he could add more of this to his game he'd be class...

but more often than not he just looks to run at people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Apparently the French want Diaby playing ahead of(or at least alongside) Gourcuff at the WC. Not based on this season's performance as such but more so based on the games he's had recently coming off the bench for France. The french public and the other players have been very impressed with him.

Diaby is a player I feel gets some unnecessary stick. He was absolutely god awful in the barca matches and most matches after them but people forget that 3/4 month portion of the season where he turned in excellent performances and seemed to have cemented his place in the midfield three. He's clearly a very talented player and his main problem right now is maintaining consistency. Although as LB said he struggles too when put under too much pressure.

I much prefer him to Denilson TBH.

Apparently the French want Diaby playing ahead of(or at least alongside) Gourcuff at the WC. Not based on this season's performance as such but more so based on the games he's had recently coming off the bench for France. The french public and the other players have been very impressed with him.

Diaby is a player I feel gets some unnecessary stick. He was absolutely god awful in the barca matches and most matches after them but people forget that 3/4 month portion of the season where he turned in excellent performances and seemed to have cemented his place in the midfield three. He's clearly a very talented player and his main problem right now is maintaining consistency. Although as LB said he struggles too when put under too much pressure.

Actually that's a valid point, he's always been at his best for Arsenal when Cesc has been absent and he's been able to play as the most advanced of the midfield trio, he his very good at making those late runs into the box and getting behind the defensive lines. Alongside Cesc he doesn't get the ball as advanced a position as he likes and his decision making is poor as a result. But in every area of the field he stills runs into people. If he could maintain more awareness of what's going on around him he'd be class, but it's not easy to add that to ones game overnight. If you're not completely confident on the ball, keeping the head up under pressure can be a very difficult thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Id take John Jensen over Denilson at this stage

Denilson is a different player though. His main role is to act as the pivot for the attacking midfielder, it's not really intended that play goes through him, more that he offers a safe option, a foil for the risky adventures that Cesc undertakes more and more. For example, if Cesc drops deep to receive the ball (typically on the right), Denilson will often push forward towards the box (typically on the left) and draw the opposition away from Cesc. And if Cesc moves forward, Denilson moves deeper to cover and offer the (much despised) sideways option.

He's hugely under rated at times and I'm not the only one who thinks this URL="http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/21/denilson-arsenal-arsene-wenger-passing-ratio/"]link[/URL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I don't think Diaby will start for France at all actually, it'll be Malouda beside Gourcuff, with Toulalan just behind IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gibson wrote: »
    Dont forget Chamakh as well :D

Centre back all depends how good this guy Koscielny might be. If he had an impact like Vermaelen did that could be our centre back pairing straight away. Then you've got Djourou, possibly Campbell, Nordveit, Bartley but I wouldnt like to be relying on the last 2. I think we'd still need another experienced centre back. Djourou's been out a long time and seems pretty injury prone. I never want Arsenal to have to rely on someone like Silvestre playing centre back.

The goals we concede aren't down to our centre back pairing.

Unless the wingers and midfielders start tracking back more (especially Walcott, Arshavin, Diaby:mad:, Denilson:mad:), we'll continue to leak far too many goals.

Realistically, there were too many matches last year when only 5 outfield players defended. Unless that changes, it doesn't matter who we bring in to partner Verm.

In relation to the question, what I'm saying is I'd like a midfielder who puts himself around the place and love to tackle, basically someone like a Flamini, De Rossi or Parker who charges around kicking people for 90 minutes. This player IMO is more important than finding the perfect CB.

Song's come on fantastically. His awareness of space around him and use of the ball is excellent but he's not the fastest and he's not the most physical(yet).

If we want to be serious about this year, we can't afford to pair Song with the Denilson/Diaby type of player who's just not good enough going forward or defending. Stick a duracell bunny in beside him to share the workload and let Song focus more on getting the ball out of a tight space and up the pitch as well as covering the back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gosplan wrote: »
    Realistically, there were too many matches last year when only 5 outfield players defended. Unless that changes, it doesn't matter who we bring in to partner Verm.
    Your basic point is bang on. But I'm not sure it was always as high as 5...
    I'd like a midfielder who puts himself around the place and love to tackle, basically someone like a Flamini, De Rossi or Parker
    Absolutely - a while ago, I decided we needed a Lassana Diarra right now. I'd cream myself if we got De Rossi, though it's unlikely. On the plus side, that type of player doesn't always have to be the best-known, just talented, willing and hard-working with a great engine.

I'd be a bit different in one thing though - I think this player could almost be our main DM, with Song liberated a bit. Song got higher and higher up the pitch last season and he's better on the ball than a lot of people think so I'd be tempted to get someone that can play ahead of him as well as behind him.

Id take John Jensen over Denilson at this stage

Good ol' John Nensen,didn't do too bad for hiself. Won the European championship with Denmark, then moved to Arsenal winning the domestic cup double andthe Cup Winners Cup. DEnilson has a bit of catching up to do. That said the lad is only 22 (thought he was older) so plenty of time to improve.

Always remember Grahams quote on Jensen "anytime he scores we lose" after his first goal in a 1-3 home defeat to QPR.

Bit dissapointed with jensen was expecting goals flying in from all over the patch after his goal in the 92 euro final.

Always remember Grahams quote on Jensen "anytime he scores we lose" after his first goal in a 1-3 home defeat to QPR.

In fairness it was the only goal he scored! He was never especially prolific anyhow. I blame the defeat to QPR more on the lack of Seaman in the team than John Jensen.

Found this gem looking for the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

John Cross is now saying Arsenal are in for Joe Cole - looks like he thinks its between us and Spurs - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-transfer-news-Arsene-Wenger-makes-U-turn-over-Joe-Cole-and-joins-Tottenham-and-Manchester-United-in-the-race-for-England-star-article457453.html

On this, is it my imagination or dont Spurs have a much stricter wage structure in place than us, wasn't a couple of seasons ago Robbie Keane their top earner on 70 a week? Modric is probably on alot now after signing the extension, but not more than 80 I'd imagine.

There's not a hope we'd get De Rossi. He's the apple of the Roma fans eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

John Cross is now saying Arsenal are in for Joe Cole - looks like he thinks its between us and Spurs - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-transfer-news-Arsene-Wenger-makes-U-turn-over-Joe-Cole-and-joins-Tottenham-and-Manchester-United-in-the-race-for-England-star-article457453.html

On this, is it my imagination or dont Spurs have a much stricter wage structure in place than us, wasn't a couple of seasons ago Robbie Keane their top earner on 70 a week? Modric is probably on alot now after signing the extension, but not more than 80 I'd imagine.

The promise of Champions League football may have loosened the purse strings a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

gosplan wrote: »
    The goals we concede aren't down to our centre back pairing.

Unless the wingers and midfielders start tracking back more (especially Walcott, Arshavin, Diaby:mad:, Denilson:mad:), we'll continue to leak far too many goals.

In relation to the question, what I'm saying is I'd like a midfielder who puts himself around the place and love to tackle, basically someone like a Flamini, De Rossi or Parker who charges around kicking people for 90 minutes. This player IMO is more important than finding the perfect CB.

Song's come on fantastically. His awareness of space around him and use of the ball is excellent but he's not the fastest and he's not the most physical(yet).

If we want to be serious about this year, we can't afford to pair Song with the Denilson/Diaby type of player who's just not good enough going forward or defending. Stick a duracell bunny in beside him to share the workload and let Song focus more on getting the ball out of a tight space and up the pitch as well as covering the back four.

Ye definitely agree with that we need a box to box midfielder, probably what Wenger was trying to get out of Diaby but he just gives the ball away far too much and is far too complacent in possession.

I'd much rather see, as you said, a box to box midfielder with Song and Cesc

? Cesc
    Song

Nasri could maybe play there but hasnt impressed in my opinion, hes far too inconsistent and dont think his tackling is up to scratch. His dribbling at times is so frustrating, almost goes around in a circle at times going nowhere. Him and Rosicky are the exact same player. Never want to rely on the 2 of them playing as our attacking unit again.

Our star striker starts again SA today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement