Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

DB10 wrote: »
    Be good to have an Irishman in the squad again. And young Conor Henderson is pushing too get in there.

Ireland isn't Irish. He is a lowlife arrogant little gurrier who turned his back on us. i don't want to hear that little sh*tbag even been mentioned in same sentence as an Irishman. He is a nowhere man and good riddance to him

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ireland isn't Irish. He is a lowlife arrogant little gurrier who turned his back on us. i don't want to hear that little sh*tbag even been mentioned in same sentence as an Irishman. He is a nowhere man and good riddance to him

:rolleyes:

Don't like using that smiley but it's suitable here. That's such a stupid statement. Ireland would improve our team big time, And hopefully Mr. Wenger makes an attempt to sign him.

x PyRo wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Don't like using that smiley but it's suitable here. That's such a stupid statement. Ireland would improve our team big time, And hopefully Mr. Wenger makes an attempt to sign him.

AND he won't get injured on international duty (are you listening Mr. Van Persie?)

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Papa Smut wrote: »
    AND he won't get injured on international duty (are you listening Mr. Van Persie?)

Exactry! Yet another positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nationality (or lack thereof) doesn't come into it but why would we want to sign a player that has been deemed not good enough for Man City?

Chelsea agreed to give us Gallas and Gallas wanted to come because he wasn't being played in his preferred CB position by Jose. Wenger then put a lot of faith in him to lead both the Arsenal defence and the Arsenal team and it was the wrong decision. He's been a good player at times but he makes mistakes, we've never been solid with him at CB and he was an awful captain.

Man U decided Sylvester wasn't good enough for their squad. Wenger felt he'd be of use - wrong again.

If City, a team chasing fourth, have decided that Stephen Ireland isn't really of any use to them, I'd put some faith in their decision.

Jose, Alex and Mancini know their stuff. Of course Wenger's good at spotting talent but if managers like that who have worked day-in day-out with these players are willing to let them go to direct rivals, surely that's indactive of something?

I realise a lot of the same factors apply to Joe Cole and tbh, I'd only take him because he's free. Ireland would cost a bomb - last year, he signed a 5-year-contact for 80K per week. If we're going to blow 20+ million on someone in cost and wages, surely we'd have better targets.

BTW, my opinion aside, the story is nonsense. No way would I believe it for a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I wouldn't mind starting to hear rumblings about a new keeper at this stage. I'm getting worried that we're going to have Almunlol/Flapianski fighting it out for #1 next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Aye pretty sure Flappyanski will be nets against Pool first game of next season.

Papa Smut wrote: »

At least Mr Van Persie plays for his country ;)

gibson wrote: »
    Good player but seems to be a bit of a basket case!

Who else would drive a car like this :D

article-1126666-0064ABC200000578-687_468x253.jpg

He might do a 'Shiela's Wheels' commercial yet :D
    x PyRo wrote:

Ok whatever you think :rolleyes: While you've obviously been in a coma somewhere for some time, Ireland has come out with this

Source

By Gareth Maher
    (Archive)

The debate is finally over. No more need for fans to ask when he might come back, or for journalists to write endless column inches suggesting that he could still change his mind. No, the chances of Stephen Ireland playing for his country again in the near future are dead.

GettyImagesA slightly less bald Ireland last played for his country in 2007.

After a lengthy pursuit by manager Giovanni Trapattoni and his backroom staff, the Manchester City midfielder opted not to be seduced by their advances and chose to remain wrapped up in his self-imposed international exile.

The 23-year-old gave an interview last week where he explained how a tough fitness regime is helping him to enjoy his football a lot more and that he doesn't see how international football can fit into his busy schedule. In fact, he sees no reason why he should squeeze it in.

"I'm not thinking about it [coming back for Ireland] at all," he said. "It's just my position and it feels like the best decision I ever made."

The supposed reasons why the player is reluctant to alter his decision range from the other squad members teasing him over a hairpiece he wore at the time, to the embarrassment of lying about the death of both his grandmothers in order to get back to his girlfriend, who had in fact gone through a miscarriage while he was away on international duty.

Added to that is the sour taste left by being involved in a squad that was managed poorly by Steve Staunton and heavily criticised by the media. So it is not that surprising that he does not have many fond memories of his six international caps.

Having not pulled on the green jersey since 2007, it is now highly unlikely that he will feature in the current World Cup qualifying campaign that sees Trapattoni's side occupy second place in Group 8 with three games remaining.

In many ways it is a good thing that Ireland has taken this stance. Not only will it bring an end to the speculation about a possible return, but it allows the current squad of players to focus on the last three qualifiers.

Murmurs from inside the Irish camp recently suggested that if Ireland did come back into the squad at this late stage it would upset some of those who have worked hard to put the team in a position of reaching South Africa next summer.

Then there is also the case of those who are on the fringes of the squad who feel that they would deserve a call-up ahead of someone that doesn't want to play for his country. Amongst them: Stephen McPhail (Cardiff City), Chris McCann (Burnley), Andy Reid (Sunderland) and Keith Fahey (Birmingham City).

Trapattoni, however, doesn't believe Ireland's return would cause such a fuss. He has said he would welcome the midfielder back at any time and, while he doesn't expect that to happen in the near future, he believes that the player will eventually have a change of heart on the issue.

"I know the moment I can call him and look for him and meet him, but not now, not now," stated Trapattoni. "Maybe in the future, if I continue this job with Ireland, I will try again. My door is not closed.

GettyImagesStephen Ireland: Still feeling unwell

"It's a pity because I am sure, when he is old, he can think about it and reflect upon it and say 'Why?' He will regret it. It's a pity. He is still young, but he won't know until the future, when he is an old man, what he is missing at this moment."

It is clear that Ireland would have added some much-needed creativity to the Irish midfield, although Trapattoni has created a system that works and even the Cork-born player would have had to fit into that.

Without him, the boys in green will look to the likes of Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Darron Gibson and Liam Miller to fill the central midfield roles with Whelan and Andrews expected to keep their partnership intact for the Cyprus game.

There is still hope that Blackburn Rovers' Steven Reid will recover from a long-term injury in time to feature in the October double-header against Italy and Montenegro in Dublin, but he still has some way to go in his race to regain full fitness.

So, if the Irish team are to qualify for the 2010 World Cup it will be without one of their most talented midfielders. Although if Trapattoni's team achieve that feat, then few people will be asking "Where is Stephen Ireland?"

Why are you quoting an old article about Ireland not playing for Ireland when the quote your responding to is about Ireland playing for Arsenal?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Why are you quoting an old article about Ireland not playing for Ireland when the quote your responding to is about Ireland playing for Arsenal?

I'm asking the question is this the type of character we want for arsenal? we need leaders, battlers, guys who set an example to the rest of the team. if a player has no pride in their country then how do we expect them to have any pride in their club?

• Advertisement

if a player has no pride in their country then how do we expect them to have any pride in their club?

As during his time at City hehas been nothing but the consumate professional. Training himself when other players were away on international duties and instead of taking summer holidays spending his days in intensive MMA training to improved his core strength and stamina.

As during his time at City hehas been nothing but the consumate professional. Training himself when other players were away on international duties and instead of taking summer holidays spending his days in intensive MMA training to improved his core strength and stamina.

He also came out with this little gem when hughes left, professionalism how do. He has since been dropped by mancini.

He also came out with this little gem when hughes left, professionalism how do.

I'm in work so can't see that.

He has since been dropped by mancini.

Mancini plays a system with two holding midfield players and no central attacking midfielder. Of course Ireland isn't going to fit into it.

We could do a lot worse than signing Stephen Ireland, although CM is probably one of the last positions that needs loking at.

I'm in work so can't see that.

We could do a lot worse than signing Stephen Ireland, although CM is probably one of the last positions that needs loking at.

We could also do alot better im sure. This is the great man arsene were talking about. A great man to find attacking players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

gosplan wrote: »
    If City, a team chasing fourth, have decided that Stephen Ireland isn't really of any use to them, I'd put some faith in their decision.

They let Dunne go and bought Lescott for about 15 million more than he is worth.......I have huge faith in Citys decision making.....only because they are good desicions from an Arsenal perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

4 Arsenal players starting for France today and not one Arsenal player in the English squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Unless Cesc goes.

Gourcuff just sent off for France. Hopefully he'll be run out of France now and come take refuge at the Grove....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Gourcuff just sent off for France. Hopefully he'll be run out of France now and come take refuge at the Grove....

Yes please, hes a great player!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Don't rate Gourcuff all that much. Pathetic in this WC.

Also just think it is really showing us up, 4 players in this French team who are getting destroyed by S.Africa.

All of our players have a shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Don't rate Gourcuff all that much. Pathetic in this WC.

Also just think it is really showing us up, 4 players in this French team who are getting destroyed by S.Africa.

All of our players have a shocker.

TBF to Diaby, I thought he was decent against Uruguay.

Osu wrote: »
    TBF to Diaby, I thought he was decent against Uruguay.

He definitely was, maybe even MOTM.

Dire stuff from him in this game, partly at fault for both goals. And also pretty much our first choice defence getting ripped to shreds.

Typical from Diaby and our defence though. Diaby is briliant one game and a joke then next. Gallas is finished and should not have started.

The other two need to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

He definitely was, maybe even MOTM.

Dire stuff from him in this game, partly at fault for both goals. And also pretty much our first choice defence getting ripped to shreds.

Typical from Diaby and our defence though. Diaby is briliant one game and a joke then next. Gallas is finished and should not have started.

The other two need to improve.

Sagna and Clichy are both 2 on 1 against every time, won't take to much worry from this performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Typical from Diaby and our defence though. Diaby is briliant one game and a joke then next.

Excatly, this is the true Diaby were seeing, the guys a giant and for some reason is too stupid to try jump for a ball when hes defending a corner and his marker then scores lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wouldnt worry too much abourt Arsenal players playing poorly for France. After all tahts happened its hardly surprising. I bet they cant wait to put on the red n' white (or will it be yellow n' claret on day one?) again.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wouldnt worry too much abourt Arsenal players playing poorly for France. After all tahts happened its hardly surprising. I bet they cant wait to put on the red n' white (or will it be yellow n' claret on day one?) again.

true but most of these players have been playing that poor for Arsenal too unfortunately :(

true but most of these players have been playing that poor for Arsenal too unfortunately :(

I wouldn't say Sagna or Clichy played poorly this season. Maybe Gael at the start but after returning from his injury he was quite good I thought.

I wouldn't say Sagna or Clichy played poorly this season. Maybe Gael at the start but after returning from his injury he was quite good I thought.

Clichy was hopeless for a lot of matches and I think if Gibbs didnt get injured we wouldve seen more of him. When Clichy came back from injury though ye your right he did play a lot better. Exclude Sagna though from my statement :)

Clichy was hopeless for a lot of matches and I think if Gibbs didnt get injured we wouldve seen more of him. When Clichy came back from injury though ye your right he did play a lot better. Exclude Sagna though from my statement :)

Sagna - consistently good
    Diaby - hot n' cold
    Clichy - very good when fit (cant blame the guy for underperforming while injured)
    Gallas - looks finished. Id say he's gone anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Great play from Diaby and Sagna in the build-up to France's goal.

• Advertisement

Sagna - consistently good
    Diaby - hot n' cold
    Clichy - very good when fit (cant blame the guy for underperforming while injured)
    Gallas - looks finished. Id say he's gone anyway.

Clichy wasnt the best before his injury though,much better player after though. Diaby only plays well for Arsenal against smaller teams usually goes missing against top teams. Gallas definitely gone as you said and Sagna is a good right back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The Club have had reasonably strong season ticket sales. There's a slightly worrying decline in the number of premium level members dropping out though.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/06/22/1989186/arsenal-given-65m-season-ticket-boost-despite-cesc-fabregas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Sure diaby done an Intense MMA course aswell last year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

From BBC :
    no Joe Cole for Man Utd. I actually think he could have done a turn there. Looks like we're down to Arsenal and Spurs then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Noticed this description of Koscielny in a comment on young guns.
    Andrew wrote:
    Right footed not left but he’s more two footed like Vermaelen
    He lacks physicality and that’s why I never thought he will come to PL other than he’s the perfect defender
    A very clean tackler
    Leaps like Vermaelen so great in the air
    Good speed but not the quickest
    Perfect positioning and I mean perfect like he has a sixth sense
    but not well build I still think he’s a bit lightweight for PL

Good to hear United arent in for Cole. Means we have a much better chance of getting him.
    Now if Barce would just leave Cesc alone...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8736948.stm

Don't think it's Spurs either judging by what twitchy said although maybe he's just playing his cards close to his chest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Would'nt believe a word out of twitchy's mouth.

I actually reckon it's Spurs after Twitchy's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

He was never going to Utd. Their days of spending big on players is gone (I know he's on a free but I'm refering to his wages). Rooney is the only there now on SILLY wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Roaster wrote: »
    He was never going to Utd. Their days of spending big on players is gone (I know he's on a free but I'm refering to his wages). Rooney is the only there now on SILLY wages.

Now if only the glaziers would take over city and Chelski.

Well hope Cole ends up with us I think he'd be a fantastic addition to the team and even better on a free transfer

Well hope Cole ends up with us I think he'd be a fantastic addition to the team and even better on a free transfer

He didn't look that good today i have to say. surely there is better cheaper midfielders out there

He didn't look that good today i have to say. surely there is better cheaper midfielders out there

No he didnt look great but neither did England to be fair despite some of the hype they seem to be getting. Yes they were far better than they were previously but that wouldnt be hard!

Gallas off to Juve I hear.

Good riddance. That swap deal with Cashley was a terrible mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Good to hear United arent in for Cole. Means we have a much better chance of getting him.
    Now if Barce would just leave Cesc alone...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8736948.stm

Maybe if Cesc just comes out and says he wants to play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It was the best deal possible at the time.

really? you'd want to keep that money grabbing traitor at the club? who thought sfa of his own teammates that he slated him in his autobiography?

I thought Gallas done ok for us. He had some mad moments and an unfortunate row with kolo, but he cared more about arsenal then that creature he replaced and gave some fantastic performances and whats more scored some important goals like at emirates v united in 07,chelsea at emirates 07, kyiv 08.
    I think he deserves a thank you and i think he'd have like to have stayed with us.

The Cashley-Gallas swap deal looked great for about a year. Slowly but surely Gallas turned out to be a nutjob and also not as solid as first thought. Clichy's form dropped, and Cashley went on to prove himself as one of the world's best left backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

really? you'd want to keep that money grabbing traitor at the club? who thought sfa of his own teammates that he slated him in his autobiography?

I thought Gallas done ok for us. He had some mad moments and an unfortunate row with kolo, but he cared more about arsenal then that creature he replaced and gave some fantastic performances and whats more scored some important goals like at emirates v united in 07,chelsea at emirates 07, kyiv 08.
    I think he deserves a thank you and i think he'd have like to have stayed with us.

The one thing about Cole, he always gave 100% even in his last couple of months, I personally feel really sad still about the situation, Pires and Cole down the left was really a joy to watch.

If he had stayed with us he would have been captain by now, obviously don't like the way things happened, part of me wishes we had offered him more before things got nasty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement