Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I'm sure he will, but rightly or wrongly on my part he has gone down in my book.
    Possibly the sheen's come off a tiny bit but he'd only really go down in my estimation if his performances next year (if we keep him, I mean) dropped.

However, I'd be interested to see the date of his most recent "I'm staying at Arsenal" statement - I'd guess March or so? Granted it was a shocking end to the season but still - sure the main difference was Cesc himself not being there anymore. Again though, it could be the failure of others to step up that disappointed him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    has turned out not to be the case (this, remember, was at the time that "the story" was 'Cesc to sign for Barca within a week').
    Where is this reported?

I mean, the very same article you linked to said this:
    Barcelona have made only a tentative enquiry and have yet to make a bid, but Arsenal have told them not to bother as Fabregas has five years left on his contract.

He seems to have been pretty consistent in saying that Cesc wants to leave, but Arsenal don't want to play ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

How do people feel about Cesc?

Has your opinion of him gone down over the summer?

I <3 him still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galatasary had a bid for Song yesterday... and to add further insult only offered a pathetic £4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Galatasary had a bid for Song yesterday... and to add further insult only offered a pathetic £4m.

Haha, the mad Turkish bastards!

Get the boat.

Although I'd be worried that we might actually accept it because we think Eastmond can do a job there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Frisbee wrote: »
    Get the boat.

Although I'd be worried that we might actually accept it because we think Eastmond can do a job there...

That's an interesting point when you think about the central defence and Songs ability to play there.

We could see more of Eastmond this season as the injuries pile up!

Hmmm... anyone see this?

Koscielny's agent is blaming Arsene Wenger for holding up the transfer because he didn't have his blackberry on him and hasn't been able to green light the final terms of the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Hmmm... anyone see this?

Koscielny's agent is blaming Arsene Wenger for holding up the transfer because he didn't have his blackberry on him and hasn't been able to green light the final terms of the agreement.

Internet cafe anyone ??
    Article sounds like an absolute load of b0ll0cks to me

• Advertisement

I mean, the very same article you linked to said this:

He seems to have been pretty consistent in saying that Cesc wants to leave, but Arsenal don't want to play ball.
    Look at the dates - 19 May he said Cesc was definitely going. Then the rowing back started once Arsenal dug in their heels.

Anyway it was never supposed to be a big point and I don't really care all that much (and I suspect no-one else here does) so we should probably just leave it at that. If you still think John Cross is always right, fine, good luck to you. I don't because he said Cesc was definitely going but if you see those words differently, grand.

Hmmm... anyone see this?

Yeah saw it on Arseblog today. I wouldn't put too much stock in it tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Whens the jerseys out again lads? Can't wait for the new season to get underway :).

Middle of July sometime iirc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Whens the jerseys out again lads? Can't wait for the new season to get underway :).

I can't say I share your optimism just yet!

L'prof wrote: »
    I can't say I share your optimism just yet!
    It's not even the thought of us winning something this year, just the thought of club football starting again :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe if it were 4x4million we'd begin toconsider it.
    Redzer7 wrote: »

JUne 28 i think...
    If you sign up on arsenal.com they'll spam you pictures of the new home kit on July 1st. No need. It'll be here on June 30th.

Heard today that we had an 8million bid for Jaqgielka turned down. I'd say it'll take 15million toland him. I also heard Spurs have offered 13million for Kjaer.

I wouldn't even dream of selling Song tbh.
    They'll need 4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4 million then I might reconsider.
    Kjaer looks a decent defender.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I also heard Spurs have offered 13million for Kjaer.

They were after him last summer too.

I've been impressed with him so far at the WC, I'd like to see us try and sign him but:

(1) A decent WC has added about 10M to his price tag

(2) I'm not sure if himself and Verm could forge a decent partnership as they're quite similair.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Look at the dates - 19 May he said Cesc was definitely going. Then the rowing back started once Arsenal dug in their heels.

Anyway it was never supposed to be a big point and I don't really care all that much (and I suspect no-one else here does) so we should probably just leave it at that. If you still think John Cross is always right, fine, good luck to you. I don't because he said Cesc was definitely going but if you see those words differently, grand.
    I don't always think he's right. However I still don't see any huge falsehood here, certainly nothing to claim his reputation has taken a huge hit, if the entire basis is a single tweet that might not have been worded perfectly. He was confirming that Cesc has decided to leave. It's a given that Arsenal have to accept a bid for him to actually go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Koscielny to sign in next few days surely....

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-will-sign-a-new-player-soon
    Arsène Wenger expects to welcome a new defender to Arsenal "quite soon".

The manager has been linked with a number of centre backs this summer as William Gallas, Sol Campbell and Mikael Silvestre all approach the end of their current contracts at Emirates Stadium.

Wenger told Arsenal.com last week that he wanted to announce a new signing before the end of the World Cup but he is staying tight-lipped over the identity of that player amid reports that Lorient defender Laurent Koscielny is close to completing a move to North London.

"Nothing has been done yet but I expect something will be done quite soon on that front, on the defensive front. We will sign a player soon," Wenger told Arsenal.com this week.

"But we do not want to come out with names before we announce it.

"Keep faith in what has always worked well for us and that is to keep it secret as much as we can."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Whats with the increase of Cesc chatter, I thought we lost all of that with the specific thread?

On topic, all of this Schwarzer talk is very strange, especially with his wobbliers in the WC. Surely there are better options available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Id be happy with Kon...y, Cole, a (good) goalie and a new contract for Campbell (plus Chamakh of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anybody who would he happy with the signing of Schwarzer is settling for another trophyless season next season. He's an average keeper who bottles it on big occasions from what I can see. I'd really be hoping for a much better standard of keeper, as we'll need it with the defence we have.

Kjaer should be avoided simply because his fee will be ridiculous and as someone pointed out he's a bit too close to the Verminator to form much of an effective partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't always think he's right. However I still don't see any huge falsehood here, certainly nothing to claim his reputation has taken a huge hit, if the entire basis is a single tweet that might not have been worded perfectly. He was confirming that Cesc has decided to leave. It's a given that Arsenal have to accept a bid for him to actually go.

Correct. Cross has always been pretty on the ball to be honest. He broke the story saying that Cesc had asked to go, not that he was on the way.
    My take on Cesc tonight. #Arsenal will not let him go cheap, don't need to sell, but he wants to go to Barca
    Still gonna be a battle to keep him and still fear he may go, but Arsenal are fighting, believe me. Done my column on it 2moro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Some have mentioned here that Cesc may well stay but only for one more season, if he stays should he keep the captaincy?

I reckon it should be given to Fabianski... might give him the confidence boost he needs.

I reckon it should be given to Fabianski... might give him the confidence boost he needs.

And the captaincy curse might strike again and he will leave :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

take it off him and you KNOW he is gone next summer. Meaning we have agreed to some sort of poxy deal that barca want us to agree to.

RVP or Clichy next captain on a side point imo

Less than three weeks to go until Barnet, happy days :D:D:D

Wow, what did I start by mentioning John Cross?!

If Cesc is still here next year, leave him as captain - I'd guess he'd be here on a 'wait and see' basis so no point taking it off him in case we do enough to keep him for even longer.

I can't see his attitude/will to win dropping so as long as he's on the pitch, he'll be setting the standard for the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

This got buried in the another thread.....

Cesc needs to keep the captaincy.

I'd like to see RVP have the captaincy BUT:

(1) He's injured far too much, you need your captain on the field as much as possible.

(2) I still don't agree with forwards being captains, needs to be your CM or CB, guess that's my dad's old school philosophy rubbing off on me.

I'd like Clichy to do it too but I'm not sure if he's vocal enough. There's no real standout candidate for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

From Sky Sports website -
    According to reports in the Italian press, Arsenal are preparing a double swoop for Inter Milan striker Mario Balotelli and Palermo defender Simon Kjaer.

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfer_clockwatch

Id love to see Kjaer sign but Balotelli seems a bit of a nut case! :D

gibson wrote: »

Buying Balotelli would be an admission that Wenger doesn't see a future for Walcott as a striker then surely... It's one that's been bandied about a lot but I can't see there being much truth to this.

Kjaer wouldn't be too bad but as mention by many, including myself previously, he's a bit too like Vermaelen imo. He likes to step up and get tight where we need someone who can drop off and sweep. The one possibility I see is that maybe Wenger thinks Vermaelen can do the sweeping role, he has the pace for it at least, but I'd question his positioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Balotelli is an amazing player, he's crazy but Wenger is the first person you'd want to help him.

SeanKev wrote: »
    Balotelli is an amazing player, he's crazy but Wenger is the first person you'd want to help him.

2 or 3 years ago I would have agreed, but seeing the way Vela, Walcott, Nasri, Denilson, Diaby and Senderos for example have all struggled to reach their potential and generate consistent form in recent years I'm not sure Wenger is the best at man management these days.

That is a long list of players in fairness...make or break season for Wenger if he doesnt win anything think it could be time for a change and he mightnt sign a new contract anyway

That is a long list of players in fairness...make or break season for Wenger if he doesnt win anything think it could be time for a change and he mightnt sign a new contract anyway

I still don't want to see him leave. The brand of football, the fiscal prudence, the ability to spot gems like Verm, RVP, Clichy, Sagna, Eduardo, Ade (pre-injury), the devotion to the youth system, etc.

I think what happened is that he has mellowed a bit as he's gotten older, he doesn't seem to have the same resoluteness or steel as I remember (although being a kid when he first arrived I may be wrong here). He seems to second guess himself a bit more. But he's still a genius, and the heart and soul of the club at the moment, it will be a big loss when he leaves.

I still don't want to see him leave. The brand of football, the fiscal prudence, the ability to spot gems like Verm, RVP, Clichy, Sagna, Eduardo, Ade (pre-injury), the devotion to the youth system, etc.

I think what happened is that he has mellowed a bit as he's gotten older, he doesn't seem to have the same resoluteness or steel as I remember (although being a kid when he first arrived I may be wrong here). He seems to second guess himself a bit more. But he's still a genius, and the heart and soul of the club at the moment, it will be a big loss when he leaves.

Actually think David Dein was a huge loss to the club and Wenger in particular

• Advertisement

Actually think David Dein was a huge loss to the club and Wenger in particular

Without doubt, seems to have hit Wenger's confidence, increased his workload and upset the stability in the backroom. Ivan Gazidis doesn't seem bad though, he hasn't been there long enough to seriously evaluate but he seems to be making all the right noises and giving Wenger the support he needs.

Without doubt, seems to have hit Wenger's confidence, increased his workload and upset the stability in the backroom. Ivan Gazidis doesn't seem bad though, he hasn't been there long enough to seriously evaluate but he seems to be making all the right noises and giving Wenger the support he needs.

Hope so, will be interesting to see how the transfers work out this summer.

Hope so, will be interesting to see how the transfers work out this summer.

First and foremost we need to make sure there is at least two or three more...

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

No harm, He's just not going to be what he was. Poor lad, He runs like he has a broom up his arse now too. Could of been unbelievable for us if the incident with Taylor hadn't happened. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

x PyRo wrote: »
    No harm, He's just not going to be what he was. Poor lad, He runs like he has a broom up his arse now too. Could of been unbelievable for us if the incident with Taylor hadn't happened. :(

good english hard physicality,nothing wrong with that,it makes the premiership the best league in the world:mad:

• Advertisement

Not only are they trying to steal our best player, now the obnoxious Spaniards are trying to block any move to replace him with Oezil. :pac:
    According to Spanish reports, Barcelona Manager Josep 'Pep' Guardiola wants to stop the 21-year-old Werder Breman player from joining Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester City , deeming all three to be potential close rivals on the European stage.
    Source: Imscouting.com URL="http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Barcelona-enter-Ozil-race-to-block-move-to-Arsenal-Chelsea-or-Manchester-City/8552/"]link[/URL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Not only are they trying to steal our best player, now the obnoxious Spaniards are trying to block any move to replace him with Oezil. :pac:

Source: Imscouting.com URL="http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Barcelona-enter-Ozil-race-to-block-move-to-Arsenal-Chelsea-or-Manchester-City/8552/"]link[/URL

*****NEWSFLASH*****

Renowned Barcelona doctors Xavi and Pique as well as head nurse Puyol hyave found Barca DNA in a second player believed to be Ozil. How do they do it....

Sky Sports reporting that Jay Simpson will be on the way out this Summer. He only has a year left on his contract and is angling for first team football.
    West Ham, Fulham and Blackpool are all thought to be considering whether to offer him a Premier League chance, whilst Millwall, Nottingham Forest, Cardiff, Leicester City and QPR are all keen. Nigel Pearson looks set to become the Hull City manager and will also probably have Simpson on his hit list.

His advisor Uben Gray confirmed Simpson could leave the Emirates Stadium.

"Jay has had discussions with Arsene Wenger and Arsenal," he told skysports.com.

"Everyone at the club only has good things to say about Jay, including Arsene, but they appreciate he needs to be playing first-team football.

"And so they are ready to let him leave, but only if the deal is right for all parties."
    URL="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6235416,00.html"]link to full story[/URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

WOW!!

Take note gutter journalists, if you're going to create a rumour, this is how to do it!!!! :D:D

Balotelli would be a nuts signing, not in a bad way, it'd just be really interesting.

Obviously it's a risk cause he's a headcase but the implied odds are amazing. He no doubt sees his future outside Italy given that the whole country hates him. If Wenger could get him to mature a bit on the pitch and settle down, he could really be one of the world's best(and not in a Rooney sense of world's best:D)

Seriously, I've only seen him a few times but as much raw talent as anyone. If you ever see him have a good game, he just sees so much more and always has three or four options available to him given that he can just as easily beat the man in front of him as switch the play to the opposite wing in the blink of an eye.

In short, probably destined to fail but well worth the gamble!!!!

pretty good at winding people up too :D

gosplan wrote: »
    WOW!!

Take note gutter journalists, if you're going to create a rumour, this is how to do it!!!! :D:D

Balotelli would be a nuts signing, not in a bad way, it'd just be really interesting.

Obviously it's a risk cause he's a headcase but the implied odds are amazing. He no doubt sees his future outside Italy given that the whole country hates him. If Wenger could get him to mature a bit on the pitch and settle down, he could really be one of the world's best(and not in a Rooney sense of world's best:D)

Seriously, I've only seen him a few times but as much raw talent as anyone. If you ever see him have a good game, he just sees so much more and always has three or four options available to him given that he can just as easily beat the man in front of him as switch the play to the opposite wing in the blink of an eye.

In short, probably destined to fail but well worth the gamble!!!!

pretty good at winding people up too :D

I could only realisticly see Kjaer being signed and I dont even think that'll happen now since we look like were signing Koscielny. We need a goalkeeper, another CB and a cover for defensive mid before even thinking of buying another striker... italian press always seem to come up with sensational stories but i think most of the time its bull!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement