Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

i dont think so, bendtner improved a lot this season, didnt have the worst of world cups either. hes a good worker and think Wenger likes him a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

they're back in for him again alright
    anything at 10m plus should be snapped up
    also vela, really shown up lately
    another man that needs to be turfed out pronto

conno16 wrote: »
    also vela, really shown up lately
    another man that needs to be turfed out pronto

where did you read about Bendtner? I know they want Luis Fabiano but havent seen what you were sayin :confused:

Just going back to the Wenger debate for a sec, a very good summary of what I think a lot of fans are thinking. This isnt my view its from another arsenal fan on another site
    virtually all of Wenger's success at Arsenal was based on a team full of experienced players, and more importantly winners before they worked with Wenger here...

The A. Coles, Anelkas and Kolos are so very far the exception rather than the rule....

None of Bergkamp, Henry, Viera, Petit, Gilberto, Campbell, Adams, Seaman, Winterburn, Bould, Keown, Parlour, Lauren, Kanu, Overmars, Pires, Wiltord, Van Bronkhorst, Edu, Lehman etc etc were unknown before they worked with Wenger...

these players between them had plenty English domestic honors (league, FA and League cups), World Cup, Champions League, Uefa Cup, French & Dutch League, Brazilian Campeanato, European Cup, Serie A titles, Olympic Gold, etc honors..BEFORE working with Wenger at Arsenal..and were virtually all established internationals, and most signed from big clubs BEFORE working with Wenger... sure it can be argued that for some/many of them their career was enhanced by Wenger, but he certainly didn't "unearth" these gems. Along with being generally larger and more physical, these were the types of players Wenger won with, established players and known young talents... and perhaps most importantly, the majority of them were winners in one way or the other before working with Wenger here... We do not have those types of players en masse any longer that actually made Wenger successful here...

For the gems like Kolo, Cole and Anelka he did unearth, they are many more failed unkowns gems he should have left buried..the Wrehs, the Stepanovs, Luzhnys (though he wasnt that bad), the Cygans that Nigerian bloke (ose..whatever), the Senderos' etc etc..and many more failed next hopes like Jeffers etc.

someone talked about exposing the myth that Wenger hasn't built strong defenses through his personal "discovery" of unknowns... it's similarly time to dispel the myth that Wenger has ever won at Arsenal without a team chock full of established players and/or known talents before they worked with Wenger at Arsenal...

very true point in my opinion it is a bit of a myth that wenger has won things with "unknowns"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I would like to see us line up like this for the first game of the season myself.

Almunia/Stop Gap
    Sagna--Kos--Verm--Clichy
    Song--Cesc--Nasri----
    -Chamakh--RVP--Arshavin/Cole.

Nasri will make that turn into the CM alongside cesc, he excelled in that role when he had to take over for cesc.

Bench
    Fabianski/Wojoich--Gibbs,Eboue,Johan,Diaby,Walcott,Bendtner.

Squad players --Rosicky, Vela, Ramsey.

Denilson can leave this summer, handy to have but diaby's improvements have topped him ahead in pecking order imo.

Arshavin, one more season please where you try. If he's uninterested by jan sell him because i know cole would give all.

• Advertisement

gibson wrote: »
    Just going back to the Wenger debate for a sec, a very good summary of what I think a lot of fans are thinking. This isnt my view its from another arsenal fan on another site

very true point in my opinion it is a bit of a myth that wenger has won things with "unknowns"
    It's interesting. But recently it's not been a case of wenger winning with unknowns. Infact i don't think anybody said the 03/04 team was won with unknowns. We're basing the sucess on the performances on some of the most recent unknowns. The cescs, Ramsey, Diaby, Eduardo, Verm, Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'm gonna call you on this and say you have no real source to justify that story.

Eduardo will probably be the only striker sold by Arsenal now that Chamakh has come in. Bendtner is not that far away from being a good striker and Wenger will want to hold on to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

ac milan back in for bendtner
    arsenal will prob take the cash this time round

Not a hope we should be interested in selling.

Again, no way given the rate he is improving.
    SDTimeout wrote: »

Squad players --Rosicky, Vela, Ramsey.

If Ramsey returns from injury as good as before no way he should be a squad player, he's good enough to start or share a starting spot with another CM.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Not a hope we should be interested in selling.

Again, no way given the rate he is improving.

If Ramsey returns from injury as good as before no way he should be a squad player, he's good enough to start or share a starting spot with another CM.

Agree 100%. I have him there as at the start of the season he won't be ready to play again.

tbf I don't think we'll see a lot of him next season. I reckon he'll make his comeback around February then suffer a multitude of niggly injuries and it will be the season after before we see him back, if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd just like to point out that Bendtners goal scoring ratio in the league over the past two seasons is better than the new boy Chamakh's.

I'd also like to point out Denilson is one of the most consistent performers on the Arsenal team. URL="http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/21/denilson-arsenal-arsene-wenger-passing-ratio/"]link[/URL. He also covers the most ground afaik.

I'd also like to point out that Almunia is an incredibly talented shot stopper, 1st half against Barca a perfect example. Schwarzer or Green would not have been able to keep us in the tie the way he did.

I'd also like to point out the difficult Fergy had in replacing Schmiechel.

I'd also like to point out how **** Valdez looked for Barca a few seasons ago. I'd also like to point out Pep kept faith in him and he's now twice the keeper he was back then.

I'd also like to point out it was rarely individual error that led us to conceding last year. For the most part it was because our defence was targeted on the counter in the space behind the fullbacks.

I'd also like to point out that the vast majority of Arsenal fans I know personally want Arsene to stay as long as possible.

It's interesting. But recently it's not been a case of wenger winning with unknowns. Infact i don't think anybody said the 03/04 team was won with unknowns. We're basing the sucess on the performances on some of the most recent unknowns. The cescs, Ramsey, Diaby, Eduardo, Verm, Sagna.

well ye i guess maybe he was saying wenger needs to buy some more experienced players rather than a persistance with cheap unknowns, theres always exceptions though. he got it right with Verm and ill be delighted if Koscielny turns out the same.

I just thought it was an interesting read :)

loads of things that are correct

+1

I'd just like to point out that Bendtners goal scoring ratio in the league over the past two seasons is better than the new boy Chamakh's.

I'd also like to point out Denilson is one of the most consistent performers on the Arsenal team. URL="http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/21/denilson-arsenal-arsene-wenger-passing-ratio/"]link[/URL. He also covers the most ground afaik.

I'd also like to point out that Almunia is an incredibly talented shot stopper, 1st half against Barca a perfect example. Schwarzer or Green would not have been able to keep us in the tie the way he did.

I'd also like to point out the difficult Fergy had in replacing Schmiechel.

I'd also like to point out how **** Valdez looked for Barca a few seasons ago. I'd also like to point out Pep kept faith in him and he's now twice the keeper he was back then.

I'd also like to point out it was rarely individual error that led us to conceding last year. For the most part it was because our defence was targeted on the counter in the space behind the fullbacks.

I'd also like to point out that the vast majority of Arsenal fans I know personally want Arsene to stay as long as possible.

dont get me wrong id love Arsene to stay and turn things round I just find though that in some cases to some fans he almost untouchable because of past glories and i just think thats a little wrong, how long are they prepared to wait? weve had problems for a long time and they havent been sorted. Big players in the past have left and havent been replaced

Big players in the past have left and havent been replaced

Big players also cost big money to replace. Arsene has kept us competitive without saddling us with shedloads of debt. He made that call in the long term interest of the club.

Think about it, if we actually spent £20+m a season replacing them with superstars, no amount of titles won would be able to pay off the additional 100m or so in short term high interest loans we would ahve had to take to fund such expenditure.

Big players also cost big money to replace. Arsene has kept us competitive without saddling us with shedloads of debt. He made that call in the long term interest of the club.

Think about it, if we actually spent £20+m a season replacing them with superstars, no amount of titles won would be able to pay off the additional 100m or so in short term high interest loans we would ahve had to take to fund such expenditure.

weve been told in the past though that there is money to spend. Hill Wood said it and I think Gazidis said it as well. It was more indicated that Wenger chose not to spend it. He sold Adebayor for £25million, Toure for what £16m? only spent £10mil on Vermaelen then didnt spend in Jan when we couldve done with someone. If money is an excuse again this summer from him after recooping that last summer and not spending most of it i dont think itll be acceptable

I'd say im alone in this but i'd hate wenger to go out and spend 30 million this summer. Then we would have " bought " the league in many peoples eyes. Imagine the staisfaction when im saying inevitably we DO win the league on these players that have been ridicules throughout the media.

weve been told in the past though that there is money to spend. Hill Wood said it and I think Gazidis said it as well. It was more indicated that Wenger chose not to spend it. He sold Adebayor for £25million, Toure for what £16m? only spent £10mil on Vermaelen then didnt spend in Jan when we couldve done with someone. If money is an excuse again this summer from him after recooping that last summer and not spending most of it i dont think itll be acceptable

He chose not to spend in order to pay off the Highbury loan. He could have chose to spend and roll the debt over, and risk it accumulating like what's happened with United. But he didn't, and now the club have only the long term low interest bonds on the stadium left to pay off.

I'd say im alone in this but i'd hate wenger to go out and spend 30 million this summer. Then we would have " bought " the league in many peoples eyes. Imagine the staisfaction when im saying inevitably we DO win the league on these players that have been ridicules throughout the media.

to be honest i cant see us winning the league again until we do that cause i dont think anything is going to change....I will be delighted if Im proved wrong though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

if spurs beat arsenal to joe cole well then that sums up things perfectly for me..
    a real sign of where the clubs are at
    its no secret that wenger has been desperate to sign him

• Advertisement

Especially given the fact the Chelsea and United have bought their titles recently and Man City are trying to do the same.

I just get the feeling we're on the cusp of something special again. I really do. Life in general i've got the everything will work out well approach, not the best seeing as i'm entering into 6th year at the moment :D

He chose not to spend in order to pay off the Highbury loan. He could have chose to spend and roll the debt over, and risk it accumulating like what's happened with United. But he didn't, and now the club have only the long term low interest bonds on the stadium left to pay off.

I dunno im not gonna admit to being an expert on Arsenals finances I just feel maybe there couldve been more of compromise. Im not talking about spending Madrid or City money just a little more. He wouldnt spend an extra £2 million to get Alonso?? Thats way too penny pinching!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

[QUOTE=leninbenjamin;66663285

[/QUOTE]

I didn't bother clicking that link, I can see with my eyes that he is poor.
    Unless you are correct in that he is consistently poor, which is an accurate observation. Nowhere near good enough after 2 full seasons of regular games, time to get rid. If we want to win trophies then he is not good enough. If we want to play football academy and develop players without winning anything then he is.

And stats like that mean very little at all. I would like to see he stats for the amount of times he jogs slowly after players and low tackle rate.

Well we can point out performances to suit many argument. What about the second leg for instance?

What about Bentley scoring from 50 yards?

CL Semi final at the Emirates.

At Anfield falling on the way out for a ball, goal.

Nani at the Emirates.

All big games, he's had more bad than good.

I know alot more that want him out. Or at the very least many who are giving him one more summer to do it right and spend money on our weaknesses.

People with blind faith, will have to give in sometime. Next May is 7 years from we won the league, 6 since a trophy of any sort.

Young team or not that is not good enough.

I just get the feeling we're on the cusp of something special again. I really do. Life in general i've got the everything will work out well approach, not the best seeing as i'm entering into 6th year at the moment :D

The issue is keeping Cesc fit. Without him the win ratio drops by about 20% (from 67% to about 45%). The team is simply too dependent on him at the moment. That's why it would be nice to get in someone like J.Cole or Gourcuff. Still need to sort out the defensive problems for the big matches, but going by the stats Arsene is onto a winning formula with the current side.

DB10 wrote: »
    I didn't bother clicking that link

And I'm not going to bother arguing with you. I suspected your points are born out of ignorance, but that just confirms it.

That is FAR from inevitable.

Really it would be a remarkable achievement but not a realistic one.

You don't win the league with free transfers. 30m is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Absolutely nothing.

Sure the whole point of moving to the Emirates was to move forward as a club and compete with the other big spenders.

If we wanted to get a team of freebies , we could have stayed at Highbury.

And I'm not going to bother arguing with you. I suspected your points are born out of ignorance, but that just confirms it.

ah to be fair hes not been ignorant, i think both him and myself just see things a bit different to you, but thats why were on here! discussion! :D itd be boring if everyone agreed with everyone!! ;)

That is FAR from inevitable.

Really it would be a remarkable achievement but not a realistic one.

You don't win the league with free transfers. 30m is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Absolutely nothing.

Sure the whole point of moving to the Emirates was to move forward as a club and compete with the other big spenders.

If we wanted to get a team of freebies , we could have stayed at Highbury.

But you have to realise that buying players for 30m is not the end of the story. You have to also pay their wages. Thats why most players would go to clubs like Man City right now when they wouldn't have before. Arsenal as a club cannot compete with them on that level.

• Advertisement

Paleface wrote: »
    But you have to realise that buying players for 30m is not the end of the story. You have to also pay their wages. Thats why most players would go to clubs like Man City right now when they wouldn't have before. Arsenal as a club cannot compete with them on that level.

I think the £30 million point depends if the poster was talking about £30 mil on one player or just spending £30mil in one summer on maybe 2 or 3 players

ah to be fair hes not been ignorant, i think both him and myself just see things a bit different to you, but thats why were on here! discussion! :D itd be boring if everyone agreed with everyone!! ;)

Big difference between how you responded to my arguments and how he did. Give yourself some credit ;)

On another note linked to another player from the World Cup...very nice to see were linked with a CB even though were close to signing one
    Arsenal have spoken to the agent of Benfica defender Rafik Halliche, according to reports in France. The 23-year-old is currently on holiday after featuring for Algeria at the World Cup, but a meeting has been planned with the players agent to discuss his availability in the coming days.

Halliche joined Benfica after impressing for Algerian outfit Hussein Dey, and is widely regarded as one of Africa’s most promising young centre backs. The Portuguese outfit sent him on loan to Nacional for two seasons to gain vital experience, and although he sustained some niggling injuries, Rafik largely impressed.

Arsène Wenger has been commentating on Algeria’s matches during this World Cup, and instructed an official to seek talks with the appropriate representatives. Now, according to sources close to Chronofoot.com, Arsenal have booked Halliche’s agent into a hotel room in North London and want to hold further talks regarding a potential transfer.

It’s thought that the powerful centre half would join fellow youngster Håvard Nordtveit in battling for a first-team place, should the Gunners decide to press on with a bid.

Statistics can be shown to prove absolutely anything.

At the end of the day, Denilson isn't good enough. He arrogantly jogs backs after players, easily pushed off the ball, is not productive in attack, has sloppy passing.

He has been a major part of the side that has failed for the last two seasons. I mean criticism is warranted.

I think the £30 million point depends if the poster was talking about £30 mil on one player or just spending £30mil in one summer on maybe 2 or 3 players

There are not many clubs who have £30 mil to spend right now regardless of whether its on one or 10 players.

Money is not an issue at the end of the day. The Emirates brings in more in revenue that any other stadium in England.

Nobody is asking for 30m players on 200k a week.

But spending money on quality players for 15-25m, will repay that fee. Look at United's success.

Our problem is Wenger's frugal policy of refusing to presssure himself with spending money.

• Advertisement

There are not many clubs who have £30 mil to spend right now regardless of whether its on one or 10 players.

Unless of course you've got a helpful local bank willing to ignore hundreds of millions worth of debt not being serviced. :pac:

Big difference between how you responded to my arguments and how he did. Give yourself some credit ;)

In all fairness you just blatantly ignored all my points just because I have a different view to your own and didn'r click a link.

Look up the definition of irony. You are being ignorant yourself.

Money is not an issue at the end of the day. The Emirates brings in more in revenue that any other stadium in England.

Nobody is asking for 30m players on 200k a week.

But spending money on quality players for 15-25m, will repay that fee. Look at United's success.

Our problem is Wenger's frugal policy of refusing to presssure himself with spending money.

To put things in perspective United generate a huge wad of cash each year compared to Arsenal. They are effectively a giant in commercial terms. In recent years they were able to splash their profits on whoever they wanted.

However with the arrival of the Glazers who wrote off all their loans against the club and the financial crisis, United had to sell Ronaldo last year for a record fee just to make a profit! They won't be splashing out this summer I promise you that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Denilson has one of the highest pass completion rates in the league and he fulfils an important role in our team better than the more fashionable players like Diaby, Nasri or Ramsey. Funny to see him being called arrogant; I'd wager he's one of the most humble players in the team.

A 20 million player will typically cost double that with wages added on and signing players in that bracket will quickly dry out the well. Wenger doesn't go in for those sort of signings because if a couple of them don't work out then the club's financial situation will go sour very quickly, not because he's a coward. The funny thing is that he gets accused of acting primarily in the interests of his own reputation, when he is doing the very opposite, sacrificing his own reputation for the long term future of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I dunno im not gonna admit to being an expert on Arsenals finances
    Don't want to sound like I'm having a go here - but I really don't see how people can discuss on-pitch matters without thinking about the off-field part of it too. People bandy around numbers for players and say we should just do it but there's more than just "He's a good player - pay whatever it takes." Every transfer has a huge number of trade-offs and a certain amount of risk, and you can't just ignore that.
    Statistics can be shown to prove absolutely anything.
    Then prove that Denilson has "sloppy passing". Consistently. His performances dipped second half of last season (when I think he was half-injured) but otherwise have been impressive. I think he had a 100% pass success rate in one game early last year, plus his interception/tackle count are impressive.

EDIT: The 100% pass success rate was against West Ham in March.

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Don't want to sound like I'm having a go here - but I really don't see how people can discuss on-pitch matters without thinking about the off-field part of it too. People bandy around numbers for players and say we should just do it but there's more than just "He's a good player - pay whatever it takes." Every transfer has a huge number of trade-offs and a certain amount of risk, and you can't just ignore that.

None of the fans know exactly how much money we have or had but if you take into account the money we received from player sales and the money we spent it looks like we couldve spent a little more.

Im not saying go out and buy Milner for £30 million or whatever stupid price he's being rated at and Id never say hes a good player, pay whatever it takes cause yes obviously we dont want to go bankrupt just to buy a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

if you take into account the money we received from player sales and the money we spent it looks like we couldve spent a little more.
    In a vacuum, yes. But if you look only at the club's outlay in the last 10 years on the stadium and the property deals, it's a wonder we've been able to buy anyone at all. It's a balance.

None of the fans know exactly how much money we have or had

The club regularly publish financial statements that give an indication as towards the financial health of the club.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/half-year-financial-results-announced

And the Arsenal supporters trust do an evaluation/summary of said statements.

http://www.arsenaltrust.org/accounts.php

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    In a vacuum, yes. But if you look only at the club's outlay in the last 10 years on the stadium and the property deals, it's a wonder we've been able to buy anyone at all. It's a balance.

very true it was always going to be a balancing act i just think I remember reading an interview from either Gazidis or Hill Wood that said there would still be transfer funds available that wouldnt impact on the pay back of the loan.

Anyway I have to admit everything I was saying about money being available doesnt seem to be relevant this summer since the loan was paid back. So hopefully if needed there will be more money free for Wenger to use.

Just out of interest though, and Im not saying I agree or disagree, if we dont spend £20m - £30m this summer or next do people really feel we can win the league again? I mean yes there is a recession but this day and age £20 million isnt that much to spend if spent wisely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

very true it was always going to be a balancing act i just think I remember reading an interview from either Gazidis or Hill Wood that said there would still be transfer funds available that wouldnt impact on the pay back of the loan.

Anyway I have to admit everything I was saying about money being available doesnt seem to be relevant this summer since the loan was paid back. So hopefully if needed there will be more money free for Wenger to use.

Just out of interest though, and Im not saying I agree or disagree, if we dont spend £20m - £30m this summer or next do people really feel we can win the league again? I mean yes there is a recession but this day and age £20 million isnt that much to spend if spent wisely
    Its not about how much is spent, but rather what value we get for the money. 30 million can be spent on one Englishman or we could spend 10 million signing an unknown norwegian that turns out to be a better player for the club. Wenger has always fancied going for the latter and this philosophy allows him to buy and process a lot more transfers, therefore giving us a better chance of getting the right players.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Its not about how much is spent, but rather what value we get for the money. 30 million can be spent on one Englishman or we could spend 10 million signing an unknown norwegian that turns out to be a better player for the club. Wenger has always fancied going for the latter and this philosophy allows him to buy and process a lot more transfers, therefore giving us a better chance of getting the right players.

This.

Unfortunately his policy of not buying English players leaves him open to criticism from the media. "Arsenal haven't enough steel etc..."

The club regularly publish financial statements that give an indication as towards the financial health of the club.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/half-year-financial-results-announced

And the Arsenal supporters trust do an evaluation/summary of said statements.

http://www.arsenaltrust.org/accounts.php

I stand corrected I hadnt seen these before :D I had read comments regarding the articles but never actually saw them myself. I didnt realise it was that bad lol

thanks for the links ;):)

It seems this summer we have £35million available for transfers according to that, plus maybe any money from player sales. To be honest though I could see a lot of not that being touched - Chamakh free, maybe Cole free, Schwarzer £3.5m, Koscileny £10 million any maybe some more young signings (we seem to get them every season :D)

I think out of that we would still need another CB and cover for defensive mid or another midfileder that could play along side Song and Cesc in the midfiled three. Someone like Tiago I dont think would break the bank and he would provide defensive cover but also help with attacking moves

Quazzie wrote: »

The post someone made on another Arsenal site kind of contradicts that though and I think theres good points made. Wenger signed a lot more established players than is made believe and hasnt really won things with unknowns.

I stand corrected I hadnt seen these before :D I had read comments regarding the articles but never actually saw them myself. I didnt realise it was that bad lol

thanks for the links ;):)

A lot of people, including many shoddy journalists, seem to be unaware that these exist.
    It seems this summer we have £35million available for transfers according to that, plus maybe any money from player sales. To be honest though I could see a lot of not that being touched - Chamakh free, maybe Cole free, Schwarzer £3.5m, Koscileny £10 million any maybe some more young signings (we seem to get them every season :D)

I think out of that we would still need another CB and cover for defensive mid or another midfileder that could play along side Song and Cesc in the midfiled three. Someone like Tiago I dont think would break the bank and he would provide defensive cover but also help with attacking moves

That £35m though doesn't just equate to money earmarked for transfer fees though. Chamakh for example probably reduced it by about £5-7m in signing on and agents fees. Expect the same sort of reduction should Cole sign happen. And some of it also goes towards our existing players new contracts and stuff afaik.

Arsenal are relatively unusual in that they like to fund transfers and fees from their own reserves, most other clubs will go out and take a short term loan to cover those fees, and hope to pay it back through their usual revenue streams. And that's when you can go the way of P'mouth.

Some places also state that the £35m in the transfer proceeds account also goes towards paying a players wages. I'm not sure, but it does seem likely given the way the club is run that a portion would be set aside for the wage bill increase.

So in effect, if we were to get all the signings of Chamakh, Cole, Koscielny and Shwarzer, that's probably the bulk of the transfer proceeds account gone.

So in effect, if we were to get all the signings of Chamakh, Cole, Koscielny and Shwarzer, that's probably the bulk of the transfer proceeds account gone.

Would you feel that would be enough to challenge for the Premiership?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement