Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/tv-online-carlos-vela-exclusive

For anyone who subscribes to Arsenal TV.

Really hope he can make an impact this year or he'll be gone by the summer I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Love the reaction when Arshavin scores. From Russia with Love!!!

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16467_5606897,00.html

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/walcott-called-into-england-under-21-squad

Feck sake, I'm sick of him being rushed back by England. Pearce is stupid enough to play him a whole match aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/walcott-called-into-england-under-21-squad

Feck sake, I'm sick of him being rushed back by England. Pearce is stupid enough to play him a whole match aswell.

Sounds like Wenger was ok with it this time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8292956.stm
    England U-21 boss Stuart Pearce said on Tuesday: "I spoke with Arsene Wenger and we both agreed it would be right for Theo to come and join the squad."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That's all we need, Theo's recover being set back by a mistimed challenge from some Macedonian rookie. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

At least this time it's just for the one team not the under21's and senior team. Lets hope he doesnt get injured but this time round he could probably do with the match practice.

Souless wrote: »
    At least this time it's just for the one team not the under21's and senior team.

I'm of the opposite line of thinking. Had it been for the senior team I'd understand (well normally, except the senior match is a formality as they have already qualified), but since its an under 21's game it strikes me as being a decision of greed on account of Pearce and the English FA. Walcott has proven his ability at senior level and thus shouldn't be lowered to playing under 21s football against mediocre U21 teams.
    Typical of the English FA; 'WIN WIN WIN!!! no matter the cost!'

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

A while since i posted, watching the games a bit earlier here in New York, we look so good going forward but the defensive stats must be a worry as always for wenger.

Jesus i love this man!!!

92757.jpg

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/traore-i-need-to-work-hard-and-be-patient

Seems to have a good attitude at least, would be a shame to lose him as he's pretty damn good.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/traore-i-need-to-work-hard-and-be-patient

Seems to have a good attitude at least, would be a shame to lose him as he's pretty damn good.

Always good to see a player focused on improving his game rather than whining about lack of first team chances. The lad is only 20 so he should stick around a while and not do a Bentley and leave early only to have his career go down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Rosicky 'fears for Arsenal future'

Strange one here. I presumed Rosicky would have no trouble securing a contract once he proved his fitness ( which has been so far so good). I find it strange he is talking about "other club(s)" and in "January".

Surely he won't jump ship? He seems like a decent bloke, top footballer IMO. In fact he would be my favourite Arsenal player tbh. Id be devastated to see him go.

Is it just over hyping and poor journalism? The title alone is at odds to the rest of the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Rosicky 'fears for Arsenal future'

Strange one here. I presumed Rosicky would have no trouble securing a contract once he proved his fitness ( which has been so far so good). I find it strange he is talking about "other club(s)" and in "January".

Surely he won't jump ship? He seems like a decent bloke, top footballer IMO. In fact he would be my favourite Arsenal player tbh. Id be devastated to see him go.

Is it just over hyping and poor journalism? The title alone is at odds to the rest of the interview.

I don't rate football365 as gospel. But its an interesting point as there is no denying the fact his contract is up at the end of the season.

He has been so plagued by injury I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger looked at him and decided to replace him with someone of equal quality rather than risk him being sidelined again and having to do without him. His absence has hit the team no doubt.

Whatever happens it will only be in the best interest of Arsenal. He's obviously a class act so if he stays fit I'd have no worries about him leaving. Wenger knows this too and will give him every opportunity to prove his fitness.

It would seem a waste to let him go having spent so much time and effort rehabilitating him, especially considering the lovely football he is playing at the moment.
    That said, perhaps Wenger is worried about his long term fitness and would be tempted to let him go for cash in January as opposed to letting him leave as a free agent at the end of the season. Although if he were to stay injury free until the end of the season I see no reason why Wenger would not offer him a new contract.
    Fortunatelt attacking midfield is a position we have a surplus in at the moment. While it would be sad to see Rosicky go it would leave more opportunities for the likes of Eduardo, Vela and Wilshire, not to mention Walcott who has just returned from injury and Nasri who has yet to return.
    Speaking of Nasri, who wants to bet he will score on his return game? Both Rosicky and Walcott (not to mention Edardo last season, who got two) have done so after spending a lenghtly time out injured. Vermaelen also technically scored on his (professional) comeback, as he spent some time out injured during pre season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

In other news, Vermaelen has been made the new Belgian captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Galvasean wrote: »
    It would seem a waste to let him go having spent so much time and effort rehabilitating him, especially considering the lovely football he is playing at the moment.
    That said, perhaps Wenger is worried about his long term fitness and would be tempted to let him go for cash in January as opposed to letting him leave as a free agent at the end of the season. Although if he were to stay injury free until the end of the season I see no reason why Wenger would not offer him a new contract.
    Fortunatelt attacking midfield is a position we have a surplus in at the moment. While it would be sad to see Rosicky go it would leave more opportunities for the likes of Eduardo, Vela and Wilshire, not to mention Walcott who has just returned from injury and Nasri who has yet to return.
    Speaking of Nasri, who wants to bet he will score on his return game? Both Rosicky and Walcott (not to mention Edardo last season, who got two) have done so after spending a lenghtly time out injured. Vermaelen also technically scored on his (professional) comeback, as he spent some time out injured during pre season.

He will be massively important to the team if he stays injury free. Think he's the only player who really has the creativity in the centre to fee up Cesc a bit.

it's a nothing story though. He hasn't been given a contract because he hasn't really played in the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wouldn't even contemplate letting Rosicky go on a free, unless he does his knee in again tomorrow and doesn't play for the rest of the season.

Arsenal have spent 20 months paying his wages and rehabilitating him, and now finally look to have a decent player on their hands once again. Letting him leave on a free would be a disaster. Said the same about Edu and Flamini though, didn't stop it happening then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sounds to me like the beginning of the usual drawn out professional footballer contract negotiations. I'd presume, Wenger, as he usually does, is trying to leave it 'til the last minute before he makes an offer. To be fair to Rosicky, normally negotiations would have started ages ago, though his situation is exceptionally unusual and I personally don't want to be embroiled in contract negotiations until he's proved his fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Arsenal have spent 20 months paying his wages and rehabilitating him, and now finally look to have a decent player on their hands once again. Letting him leave on a free would be a disaster.

All the more reason Rosicky should stay. He 'owes' it to Arsenal having kept with him and rewarded him with first team football at the end of it.

That is of course if Wenger wants to keep him !

Personally, I think he'll stay once we make it out of CL group stages, which should happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gotta assume with Rosicky they are just hanging on to see if he can avoid another serious injury befopre signing him up to another long term deal. They took up their option to extend his contract by a year last summer so obviously want to keep him and considering how they have backed him the past few years im sure he would also be reluctant to leave them atm. In a month or so if he can stay fit im sure they will extend his contract

• Advertisement

gotta assume with Rosicky they are just hanging on to see if he can avoid another serious injury befopre signing him up to another long term deal. They took up their option to extend his contract by a year last summer so obviously want to keep him and considering how they have backed him the past few years im sure he would also be reluctant to leave them atm. In a month or so if he can stay fit im sure they will extend his contract

I'd be thinking more or less the same. Arsenal have stuck with him through his injuries, he's a quality player and I'd be very surprised if he didn't sign a new contract soon or if he had any intention of leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hate weekends like this one :(

Anyway seems Arsenal TV is expanding its shows online, Friday night preview and phone in back next Friday night :)

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/friday-night-is-back-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Hate weekends like this one :(

Anyway seems Arsenal TV is expanding its shows online, Friday night preview and phone in back next Friday night :)

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/friday-night-is-back-
    Excellent, missed that show since Setanta went AWOL, having said that - I'll probarbly have to pay for it...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

FearDark wrote: »
    Excellent, missed that show since Setanta went AWOL, having said that - I'll probarbly have to pay for it...right?

£45 Per year or £3.99 per month, they also have a match day show with a phone in after on match days, think I'll subscribe.

http://tv.arsenal.com/

What can't he do?

What can't he do?

Score a header from 40 yards out?

• Advertisement

Give him time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Galvasean wrote: »
    Score a header from 40 yards out?

Like Palmero's?? :cool:

FYP

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3618382/

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3618386/

We should play 3 centre backs with himself, Vermaelen and Gallas. They'd get 30+ goals a season between them easy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

What can't he do?

Was a beaut of a goal alright :) lets hope he keeps banging them in for us :D

• Advertisement

Never seen this before. What a legend.

Both Ramsey and rshavin on target for their countries tonight. Good stuff.

Never seen this before. What a legend.

Very funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭dazzday

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8689_5626682,00.html

More good nes...Nasri possibly back for Hammers game.

Although atm its hard to see where he will fit in!

dazzday wrote: »
    http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8689_5626682,00.html

More good nes...Nasri possibly back for Hammers game.

Although atm its hard to see where he will fit in!

Its good that there will be healthy competition for places this season aslong as most of the players can stay injury free. This hasn't been the case for a few seasons but now fingers crossed Wenger will have more or less a full squad at his disposal.

Nasri looked really good at times last season so lets hope he can get back to that level and maintain it!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nasri could take Denilson's spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Looks like nicking that Champions League spot from Spurs in 2006 was just fair revenge. From the Guardian's 'The Knowledge' column:
    THE ARSENAL UEFA CUP MYSTERY - SOLVED

"While looking at an old league table on Wikipedia (don't ask why), I noticed that Arsenal finished second in the First Division in 1972-73, three points behind Liverpool," notes Vincent Lacey. "The table gave notes on European qualification for the following season: Liverpool went into the European Cup, Tottenham went into the Uefa Cup because they won the League Cup, and Sunderland (from the Second Division) went into the Cup Winners' Cup after winning the FA Cup. But while third-placed Leeds, fourth-placed Ipswich and fifth-placed Wolves went into the Uefa Cup, Arsenal didn't go into Europe at all! I couldn't find any reason for this; had they upset someone at Uefa, or did someone forget to send an application for entry?"

One of those rare occasions when the question is longer than the answer. As the world and his wife emailed in to tell us, an early hangover from the days of the Inter-City Fairs Cup was the ruling that only one team from any city could compete in the Uefa Cup. Thus, in a disappointingly conspiracy-free manner, Tottenham qualified through their League Cup win, keeping the Gunners out of the competition.

Apparently Clichy picked up an injury with France and is out of the Brimingham game.

I'd really like to see Traore get the nod ahead of Gibbs at left back for this one.

I wouldn't. Gibbs was superb at LB for England U21 the other day and impressed me a lot more last season than Traore did in his appearances.

I wouldn't. Gibbs was superb at LB for England U21 the other day and impressed me a lot more last season than Traore did in his appearances.

Doesn't Gibbs play LM for the u21s?

An in fairness Gibbs was surrounded by Arsenal players, Traore was surrounded by Portsmouth players. If Gibbs is getting in every time Clichy is injured and Traore never even gets a look in he'll be gone in a flash.

• Advertisement

I don't know generally but he played LB the other day. I didn't see Traore while he was at Pompey, though I've read that he was playing mainly LW there, and he's been playing LW for our reserves this season too. He always looked really dodgy defensively when he was with the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I didn't see Traore while he was at Pompey, though I've read that he was playing mainly LW there
    Yep, he was indeed. And while he did well, he was also dropped for a while and had his performances massively exaggerated by the official site (as it tends to do).

Also, I thought Gibbs played LB for the U21s too. Either way, I'd probably go with Gibbs too - and I think Wenger will as well.

Anyone reckon that a few good performances from whichever one of them gets the nod (and the defence generally) could see Clichy struggling to break back in?

Well Gael's form has been patchy over the last 18 months and Gibbs can actually cross so who knows. I can't see it happening personally though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

is cesc going to be back for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

SlickRic wrote: »
    is cesc going to be back for the weekend?

Skysports say yes.

Gibbs is a better tackler than Traore IMO, but Traore is faster.

Fabianski is back for the Birmingham game, while Almunia is rated 50:50. I really hope Fabianski does not get in ahead of Manonne, who has earned his right to play for us and looks much better than Fabianski (based on his form last season).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Gibbs is a far superior player than Traore, especially defensively.

This better be a whole big pile of baloney...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/117660

Papa Smut wrote: »

I'd say it is. I'd like to think Henry knows better than to come back to England and play for anyone except Arsenal...

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote: »

Its nonsense! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement