Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So guys, one good defensive midfielder in Jan, and then, could we...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

efb wrote: »

Get a grip...defensive midfielder...in January...and a good one???

When did Vieira leave?

Have we replaced him successfully or for any decent period of time since?

So in answer...

...no.

We won't sign that midfielder everybody's looking for. Aside from that, we always have a great chance...injuries permitting (when was the last season our injuries were tolerable because we had strength in depth?).

When you wish upon a star, dreams come true...

'Get a grip' a little harsh, it was clearly wishful thinking!

When you wish upon a star, dreams come true...

'Get a grip' a little harsh, it was clearly wishful thinking!

There is no such thing as harsh right now since i still haven't been to bed from last night.

And I was in bed at 10. Having very Cescy dreams...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

An awesome day.

Given that my only disappointment is that we didn't win by more than 3-0, twas truly an occasion to be happy with.

As regards the Spurs talk before the match about squad depth: I can understand that they want to big themselves up coming into the match with key injuries but it was really stupid stuff for them to come out with.

Walcott and Rosicky missing is comparable to Lennon and Modric. Defoe was a loss for them, no doubt, but realistically they were only missing one of four strikers.

So we can surmise that this second string of players, lauded all week, are basically good enough for route one to Crouch.

(all that said, I thought the spuds were doing quite well until the goals went in, although an awesome save from Gomes had kept them in it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Your having a laugh

Song has been an absolute man mountain for us this year, his improvement has been astronomical.

Himself, Cesc and RVP are our three most important players so far this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Frisbee wrote: »
    Your having a laugh

Song has been an absolute man mountain for us this year, his improvement has been astronomical.

But he's so inconsistent. His distribution can be downright awful at times. Look at that corner he gave away yesterday, you wouldnt see a pass back that bad in the park in an under 10s match. What's worse is that he was under no pressure.
    That said, he did make some excellent tackles later in the game.
    Wouldn't mind bringing in another DM. We have no real viable cover in taht position.

Your having a laugh

To true. While some players (*cough* *cough* DIABY) make a mockery of Wenger's policy as regards educating and developing players, Song and, to a lesser degree as he's been injured lately: Denilson, are really proving him right with their improved performances this year.

As far as I can see it, we only need a goalkeeper.

This might change depending on how injured Rosicky is and how fit Nasri and Walcott will stay but to tell the truth, I think there's a fair argument to be made that we have the best squad in the league. Hopefully they'll have the maturity to deliver on this but they're still very very young as a squad.

It'll be hard to go from being a distant fourth to winning the thing but you'd hope that this year would at least allow them to really taste a title race and give them the experience that will help them go all the way in the future.

In short, things are looking very very very good for the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Galvasean wrote: »
    But he's so inconsistent. His distribution can be downright awful at times. Look at that corner he gave away yesterday, you wouldnt see a pass back that bad in the park in an under 10s match. What's worse is that he was under no pressure.
    Wouldn't mind bringing in another DM. We have no real viable cover in taht position.

I'm pretty sure Wenger has earmarked Nasri as another person who can cover in the DM area. Didn't he play in that position against Liverpool in the Carling cup?

Between him and Denilson as cover there will not be a signing in this area in January.

• Advertisement

In fairness he does a lot better with Rosicky or Denilson beside him as opposed to Diaby.

He's great at breaking up play and finding room in tight situations to get that little 10 yard pass away that gets the whole team moving forward.

Not to harp on about the age thing but he's still three years younger than Fletcher or Mascherano.

Paleface wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Wenger has earmarked Nasri as another person who can cover in the DM area. Didn't he play in that position against Liverpool in the Carling cup?

Between him and Denilson as cover there will not be a signing in this area in January.

Aye, if you consider Fabregas as who we ultimately want playing the role of the front man in a three man midfield I think Wenger see his options for the second and third man as:

Second: Nasri, Denilson, Rosicky, Diaby.
    Third: Song, Denilson.

Provided Fabregas is fit, the only combination I'd be uneasy with starting is one of Denilson and Diaby.

Being inconsistent isn't something I'd associate with Song, I can't think of a game this season where he has put in a bad performance.

As for that bad pass yesterday, I could pick one or two awful passes Fabregas made yesterday over no more than 10metres.

Considering I was one of the people most strongly advocating the need to by a DM in the summer I'm going back on that.

I'm more than happy with Song in there with Denilson and Coquelin for cover.

Right, before I sign off for the day cause I've stuff to do, it's probably worth opening a debate on the next few games.

Next two are Wolves (A) and Sunderland (A).

They shouldn't under any circumstances be taken lightly. Both are away matches against teams that have recently scored goals against very good defenses. More worryingly, both teams yesterday showed a refusal to give up despite being a couple of goals down.

Next week Man U play Chelsea and we MUST capitalise on that. If we win both away games, we'll be either our game in hand away from being clear in second or from being top on goal difference.

Next three games are Chelsea (H), Bolton (H) and Stoke (H). The Bolton game is our game in hand.

Obviously the vital thing here is not to lose to Chelsea. If Man U take points from them, and they've also got a City game coming up, then a draw will keep us with them as we don't drop silly points elsewhere.

I'm not sure how Chelsea and Man U will develop over the season but I think it's clear that they're the favourites for the title. The two things that might count against them are Man U's squad issues (unfit centre backs, ageing squad perhaps the need to rely on some players that are out of their depth) and Chelsea's run in the ANC.

We really need to stick with them until Christmas and hope that they go through a poor spell because it looks like it's going to be a case of 'who blinks first' as regards where the title ends up this year.

I'm still not convinced that Arsenal can maintain a challenge for the entire year but if we're the first to drop off, there's no way we'll catch up.

Being inconsistent isn't something I'd associate with Song, I can't think of a game this season where he has put in a bad performance.

As for that bad pass yesterday, I could pick one or two awful passes Fabregas made yesterday over no more than 10metres.

Considering I was one of the people most strongly advocating the need to by a DM in the summer I'm going back on that.

I'm more than happy with Song in there with Denilson and Coquelin for cover.

i'd agree with that. i was very critical of Song and Denilson last year, but Song has really impressed me this year, he's a great tackler of the ball, ny only concern is his lack of pace which hasn't cost him much this season. He's still young but if he can make anywhere near the same kind of improvement as he did this season, he'll become an excellent player very quickly. Pity about the Afrcan Nations though!

Thing is he's realised he hasn't got a lot of pace and is purposely sitting a little further back the pitch to give him those extra few yards over an attacker.

Thing is he's realised he hasn't got a lot of pace and is purposely sitting a little further back the pitch to give him those extra few yards over an attacker.

Yeah, it's working anyway. i can't remember it being exposed so far this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Id love a new GK as well but it wont happen.

Staying with United and Chelsea until the new year is vital, then anything can happen. There is nothing really between United, Arsenal and Chelsea at the moment. All these teams are going to have their ups and downs but staying with the pack and not falling away like last year is the key.

Then again we have just entered November, a month where Arsenal dont do well usually.

Wolves (A) Win, Sunderland (A) Draw Chelsea (H) Draw, Bolton (H) Win and Stoke (H) Win

I would be happy enough with that. 11 points from 15, of course 15 from 15 would be even better.

Must win against Wolves though, we should be way to strong for them. Sunderland will be tough but we should not lose that game. Chelsea... well it is at home and did give us a leason last year. We could lose 3-0 or win 3-0. Bolton and Stoke we should beat easily enough so the key games here are Sunderland and Chelsea. Do well there things are looking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think Jones will be banned for the Sunderland game. They were in good form for the first 10 games but I still think I'd be disappointed if Arsenal only managed a draw up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Didnt they lose last year? Or was it a score draw. On its own of course a draw would be disappointing but I was taking a longer term view on up coming matches.

• Advertisement

Interesting article on 365:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_5668428,00.html
    The Third-Equal Best Striker In The League
    'Only the unfortunate frequency with which Van Persie hits the woodwork - he has done so on nine separate occasions in the league alone since last August - and his nationality prevents proper acknowledgment of his talents' - Winners And Losers, October 18.

This column was criticised for the suggestion that Van Persie's nationality counts against him when the league's pecking order of strikers is determined but there was partial vindication this weekend when Gary Lineker asked of his panel Match of the Day, "We've seen three great strikers this weekend: Drogba, Rooney and Torres. Which one would you choose?"

Van Persie, who has opened the scoring in each of Arsenal's last three Premier League encounters and claimed the man-of-the-match for his display against Spurs on Saturday, may not be the equal of either Torres or Drogba but MOTD's total disregard of the Dutchman must at least be partially influenced by his nationality - a suspicion borne out by Alan Shearer's selection of Rooney ahead of Torres and Drogba. Treat such blinkered jingoism with the contempt it deserves.

A more serious debate would be a comparative weighting of Van Persie and Rooney. Both joined their current clubs in the summer of 2004 - Van Persie for just £2.7m, Rooney for £25m - and both are now their leading men. Their goals to game ratio is nearly identical, though Rooney has maintained his average in almost twice as many starts (scoring 72 from 151, whereas Van Persie has 46 from 89 plus 36 as substitute). The total number of assists they've each contributed during that time is unknown, though it would be wrong to assume that Van Persie fails in that department from his new role as a mobile centre-forward. He has been credited with six goalscoring assists this season while Rooney has none to his name. Rooney does have an English name, though, and that truly counts for plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just coming in to say I just saw Cesc's goal from the weekend.

i laughed.

i also almost cried at just how good he looks right now.

keep him fit, and i like the prospects for your season.

just stop shipping cheap goals at the end of games though.

MOTD are very biased on a lot of things. Hansen has the Liverpool glasses on constantly and Lineker and Shearer will always have their England glasses on.

Saying that I'm not sure who is the better player between Van Persie and Rooney myself. Both bring different elements to the table. Its a big year for both of them as they are now considered the number one goal scoring threat at their respective clubs which was not the case previously.

However if he can stay injury free my money would be on Van Persie to score more goals over the course of the season due to Arsenal's prolific goal tally so far.

Paleface wrote: »
    Saying that I'm not sure who is the better player between Van Persie and Rooney myself. Both bring different elements to the table. Its a big year for both of them as they are now considered the number one goal scoring threat at their respective clubs which was not the case previously.

Oh I wasn't saying I believe RVP to be the better player.
    As you said they bring different things to the table and are both very good players.

It was the fact that he wasn't even considered that annoyed me really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Oh I wasn't saying I believe RVP to be the better player.
    As you said they bring different things to the table and are both very good players.

Far more annoying imo

Yeah well that's MOTD for you!

Pretty poor form by MotD, but not unexpected. The Dead Ringers sketch had it spot on when Lineker turns around and proclaims, "It's been nearly a minute since we talked about England!"
    Rooney will always get the nod since he's English. Torres gets the nod because Liverpool are basically screwed without him. It would be unPC not to mention the best black striker in the English game. Wheras Arsenal are getting goals from all over the pitch,, so our frontman does not seem all that important.
    Now, not wanting to take away from any of the aforementioned great players' talents. They are all spectacular footballers. But I do feel van Persie is getting short changed by the English media. He got two goals, an assist and a man of the match performance against a team in a Champions League spot and he does not even get acknoledged.

I wouldn't go so far as to say RvP is better than the other 3, but he holds his own against them, while having been purchased for roughly 1/10th (give or take) the money.

Looking at the fantasy football site, as far as strikers are concerned RvP is second only to Drogba
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/stats.mc?element_filter=et_4&stat_filter=&price_filter=&view=
    Obviously fantasy leage points are not the be all and end all, but it's certainly food for thought.

Ah well, let them keep underestimating us. That's the way I like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can't wait for the headlines next summer!!!

VAN PERSIE KNOCKS ENGLAND OUT OF THE WORLD CUP!!! :D

Wreck wrote: »

i had missed that one. it does make me angry, but i would have picked Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

It would be unPC not to mention the best black striker in the English game.

No-one actually thinks like this, do they?
    jasonorr wrote: »
    i had missed that one. it does make me angry, but i would have picked Torres.

Yep, Torres all the way for me too, hilarous that people actually voted for Adebayor though.

I voted for Torres

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I just felt like mentioning how much I love Cesc. 6 goals and 11 assists in 13 games so far this season. Captain and loves the club. Hero.

I just felt like mentioning how much I love Cesc. 6 goals and 11 assists in 13 games so far this season. Captain and loves the club. Hero.

Amen to that!!

His goal at the weekend was quality. Obviously Spurs gave the ball away cheaply but when he picked it up he still had a mountain of work to do if he was going to score. The finish was extremely calm and from the celebration you could see it meant a lot to him.

My hero!

Yeah Cesc is having a fantastic season so far.

Anybody else worried about Arshavin's lack of form? He's been very quiet in most games this season. Not that it matters, the rest of the team is playing so well. I think people (most of them weren't even Arsenal fans) were a little bit quick to label him the next big thing after the Anfield game last year.

No-one actually thinks like this, do they?

You'd be amazed. It's easy to ignore van Persie because he's Dutch and white. No one gives a poop.
    That said, I do think Drogba is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

29lmyp1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Anybody else worried about Arshavin's lack of form? He's been very quiet in most games this season. Not that it matters, the rest of the team is playing so well. I think people (most of them weren't even Arsenal fans) were a little bit quick to label him the next big thing after the Anfield game last year.

Think he had a good start to the season. Gone off the boil a bit recently I suppose. Still think he's a definite starter. And capable of creating something from nothing. Still got 4 goals this season.. To be honest if I was to be start getting worried about anyone it would be Eduardo. Although he hasnt been given many oppurtunities his form hasn't really ammounted to anything this season. One goal that I can remember. Hope he comes good.

Yeah Eduardo's looked poor. I'd definitely have Bendtner in the team ahead of him, never thought I'd say that.

I''m not too worried about Arshavin. Just cause he's not doing something amazing in every game is not the end of the world.

He's an extremely crafty player who will have chances and will score eventually.

He's too much of a threat to defenders to not have him in the starting lineup.

Also I think his form when he came into the team last year was a bit too good. He seemed so keen to make an impression.

Hopefully he'll hit something near that again when it really matters this season!!

I was shocked to see Eduardo miss two glorious chances in the Spurs game though. He was extremely clinical prior to his injury. Maybe he's still finding his feet this season and is suffering from not having a period of consecutive appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

great dvd can't wait to buy it for my spurs supporting brother!

i think every player goes through patches of poor form during the season and the squad should be strong enough to carry the player through it.
    it is true that eddie is off form. maybe a chance for vela to stake a claim esp with bendy out at the moment.

enyone see the RvP quote about the City Carling match??

""I want to play in that one. I'd love to play. If the boss decides to let me play, I'm happy"..... two guesses for who he cant wait to get stuck into?! :)

• Advertisement

Aye, he is lovable in the extreme. Particularly loved the celebration after his goal the other day. In the context of the match, the opponents and the goal that had happened 11 seconds previously, it was such an enjoyable goal for Arsenal to score and he celebrated as such.
    Cesc wrote:
    RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Also, I have to say kudos to RVP. The chap is suddenly playing the way we always thought he could and has become a seriously important player for us.

I still have a good feeling about Bendtner though. I think we could take an injury to RVP if we had Walcott and Arshavin playing either side of the big Dane.

TBH I think this is why he's at the club. He's a handy utility man but realistically he's the only decent cover we have for the position up top should RVP get injured - which going on history is going to happen sooner or later. (Actually going on history it's probably overdue, but I don't want to think about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

gosplan wrote: »
    Aye, he is lovable in the extreme. Particularly loved the celebration after his goal the other day.

This celebration was it.....
    gun__1257153448_5.jpg

Why do you need a DVD when a picture paints a thousand words :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

No surprise that Mr Alan started this poll..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Great celebration however it'll be hard to beat Henry's Spurs goal where he picked up the ball in his own half, danced around half of the Spurs team, pinged it into the bottom corner and skidded on his knees infront of the disgruntled Spurs faithful.

Would stick a pic/video up of it but I'm in work :(

Great celebration however it'll be hard to beat Henry's Spurs goal where he picked up the ball in his own half, danced around half of the Spurs team, pinged it into the bottom corner and skidded on his knees infront of the disgruntled Spurs faithful.

Would stick a pic/video up of it but I'm in work :(

Sounds similar to the goal he scored against the Pool, i think Carragher fell on his arse too!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Lot of man love in the thread right now.. :D

henryspurs.JPG

Speaking of Henry, which was better? Cescs goal v Tottenham, or the famous Henry one?
    Or Henry's classic against Real Madrid?

Speaking of Henry, which was better? Cescs goal v Tottenham, or the famous Henry one?
    Or Henry's classic against Real Madrid?

Henry against Spurs or Liverpool or United or Bergkamp against Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Cesc against AC has to be in there as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Cesc against AC has to be in there as well...

I'll never forget that for as long as I live. Was my first time in the San Siro too. Unreal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement