Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Breaking news on SSN saying that Clichy has suffered a stress fracture in his lower back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah, the injuries are piling up now.

Clichy
    Traore
    Wilshere
    Vela
    Fabianski
    Rosicky
    Bendtner
    Walcott
    Denilson
    Djourou

I think out of the first XI Clichy is the player that can be coped without best. Gibbs is an alright backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

keano_afc wrote: »
    Breaking news on SSN saying that Clichy has suffered a stress fracture in his lower back.

Sounds bad. Hope Gibbs is up to it. Glad we have Traore in the squad too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

keano_afc wrote: »

:mad: and so it continues!!!

Yeah, the injuries are piling up now.

Clichy
    Traore
    Wilshere
    Vela
    Fabianski
    Rosicky
    Bendtner
    Walcott
    Denilson
    Djourou

How long is Traore out for? Luckily, Clichy is the only one on that list I'd definately consider in our 'best eleven', possibly Rosicky or Walcott too (although we've been coping without them for a good while now).

edit: Yeah, Im one of the few who prefers Diaby to Denilson.

Galvasean wrote: »
    How long is Traore out for?

Not long. Says he might be back this weekend, but I'm just using physioroom.com and I'd never take their estimates as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

jasonorr wrote: »
    :mad: and so it continues!!!

Yep I'm afraid so. Poor Gael. :(

Great for Kieran Gibbs though. I hope he really steps up now and show's us the great player his is/can be for both Arsenal and England.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5671725,00.html

Prognosis there is only a month, so it moght not bee that bad. Rosicky is back in the squad for the CL game tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

And Eboue is off to PSG :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If clichy is out for a month as projected, this will give Kieran Gibbs a good run in the team. He is a player i would definetly be excited to see more of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'm just using physioroom.com and I'd never take their estimates as gospel.

I've become accustomed to seeing Arsenal at the top of the list on physioroom.com!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just heard that Clichy news on the radio.

He's had a bad start to the season but over the past few games he was regaining his form I felt, bad timing...

cson wrote: »
    And Eboue is off to PSG :pac:

Yeah? source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If Clichy is just out for a month then the only really big game he'll miss is Chelsea. To be honest though, given Clichy's error count this year and the promise that Gibbs has shown, I'm not too sure that it's a massive loss for us.

For me the big news is that Rosicky's back in the squad again for tomorrow.

I think he's a massive player for us, partly for keeping Diaby off the pitch but also because of his own ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Yeah, I was very happy to see Rosicky in one of the training pictures on the official site earlier. I think he's been very good in the games he's been back for so far, and I've no doubt there's more to come.

He also seems to help bring Arshavin into the game, which can only be a good thing. I'd agree with those who say Arshavin's been quieter than last year, but with Cesc back on the pitch there's obviously going to be less going through Arshavin so I'm not too worried. He's still a cracking player who's well worth a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Also, is there any interest in a team for the Gearoid Walsh tourney?

I've just been catching up on posts after being away but he was my godmother's nephew so I'd obviously be interested if there's an Arsenal team.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Also, is there any interest in a team for the Gearoid Walsh tourney?

Id be up for an Arsenal team. Would make our uniforms easy. Both myself and Frisbee have Vela 12 jerseys. We could call ourselves 'The Flying V(ela)' :o

One other thing, is Diaby really that poorly rated among us Gooners? I think (United game aside) he has done quite well for us this season.

One other thing, is Diaby really that poorly rated among us Gooners? I think (United game aside) he has done quite well for us this season.

Depends which Diaby turns up.

Sometimes he can be the best player on the pitch.
    Sometimes he's a passenger.

He doesn't seem to have a middle ground...

Id be up for an Arsenal team. Would make our uniforms easy. Both myself and Frisbee have Vela 12 jerseys. We could call ourselves 'The Flying V(ela)' :o

i think Diaby is great and thrives when played through the middle, he's regularly stuck out on the wings though, which never brings out the best in him!

He's just very inconsistent, although I have to disagree and say that apart from that bizarre own goal, he played very well against United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

I definitely agree with the Diaby inconsistency thing. I find him quite similar to Bendtner in that way. At times they do things that make you think 'wow, this guy could really be a great player for us', and at other times they do things that make you think 'wow, how did this guy get in the Arsenal starting XI'!
    I have always wondered how these kinds of players perform week in week out in training... Especially last season when AW kept sticking with Bendtner all the time, when he was having some fairly atrocious moments in most games! I was thinking AW must be seeing something in training that we just don't get to see...

RedivideR wrote: »
    I definitely agree with the Diaby inconsistency thing. I find him quite similar to Bendtner in that way. At times they do things that make you think 'wow, this guy could really be a great player for us', and at other times they do things that make you think 'wow, how did this guy get in the Arsenal starting XI'!
    I have always wondered how these kinds of players perform week in week out in training... Especially last season when AW kept sticking with Bendtner all the time, when he was having some fairly atrocious moments in most games! I was thinking AW must be seeing something in training that we just don't get to see...

15 goals is hardly atrocious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

He's probably cost us more than that.

I want him gone! C'mon Arsene, sell him. Complete liability.

How has one of our forwards cost us 15 goals?

Yeah? source?

I joke. Well kind of.

It's on the Sky Sports Arsenal homepage as a story that Eboue would love to play for PSG at some stage of his career. The bit I loved was along the lines of 'we'll see what happens in the summer'. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I'd have bendtner over kalou, keane, crouch, ngog, voronin, owen, ffs id prefer him over adeboyar too.

the lad is only 21. established himself as first choice with Denmark and is scoring goals with them too. he works extremely hard for the team, scores a fair few goals especially when put up front in his natural striker's position, he has a good attitude IMO, you never see him moan and groan like adeboyar ok he's cocky but i kind of like that about him. he's playing outside right at the moment and doing a good job especially when holding the ball up.
    i think he haas both the potential abililty and mindset to achieve what he wants and i hope its at arsenal!

Just looking at a Stuttgart - Sevilla preview there and I couldn't help but notice Aleksandr Hlebs demise from the time he left Arsenal. Ineffectual at Barcelona, unwanted at Inter and now turning out for his old club Stuttgart who are struggling hugely in the Bundesliga.

Very rarely does a player who leaves Arsenal go onto better things. Im thinking Cole and Henry have done pretty good but other than that I'm stumped to come up with someone who left and did well. Anelka is debatable I suppose but its taken him nigh on 10 years since he left Arsenal to finally become a proper consistent force and make his mark. He was a journeyman up until then - Bolton ffs! Overmars and Petit while not disgracing themselves never really did too much of note either. The jury is still out on Adebayor but I'm confident he'll find some way of screwing City over before his time is out. As for Vieira, he has disappeared quietly into the night. Jose Reyes is the most alarming, he's gone off the radar completely although he was playing for Atletico tonight. Toure has been shaky alongside Lescott this season from the matches I've seen too but again too early to judge. Pires and Ljungberg both went to lesser teams albeit with Pires helping Villareal to overachieve.

Basically a lot of those players thought the grass was greener and in hindsight would have been much better served by staying where they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

cson wrote: »
    Just looking at a Stuttgart - Sevilla preview there and I couldn't help but notice Aleksandr Hlebs demise from the time he left Arsenal. Ineffectual at Barcelona, unwanted at Inter and now turning out for his old club Stuttgart who are struggling hugely in the Bundesliga.

Very rarely does a player who leaves Arsenal go onto better things. Im thinking Cole and Henry have done pretty good but other than that I'm stumped to come up with someone who left and did well. Anelka is debatable I suppose but its taken him nigh on 10 years since he left Arsenal to finally become a proper consistent force and make his mark. He was a journeyman up until then - Bolton ffs! Overmars and Petit while not disgracing themselves never really did too much of note either. The jury is still out on Adebayor but I'm confident he'll find some way of screwing City over before his time is out. As for Vieira, he has disappeared quietly into the night. Jose Reyes is the most alarming, he's gone off the radar completely although he was playing for Atletico tonight. Toure has been shaky alongside Lescott this season from the matches I've seen too but again too early to judge. Pires and Ljungberg both went to lesser teams albeit with Pires helping Villareal to overachieve.

Basically a lot of those players thought the grass was greener and in hindsight would have been much better served by staying where they were.

great post and a good point.

i have to say that i love hearing Hleb bleating on now about how he shouldn't have left.
    same with adeboyar. the more you listen to him moan about arsenal the more its apparent that he wishes he was loved here.
    you could add bentley and pennant to that list as well. both really could have made a real impression on arsenal if they were patient and bided their time but they jumped ship.
    and its been downhill from there (though pennant played a Champions League final AFAIK)

however one might say that matty upson ,steve sidwell and fabrice muamba have done well, they were let go basically by arsenal and all have progressed to a very decent Premiership level player, Sidwell even joining Chelsea and Upson almost rejoining us.

final point. you forgot to mention flamini and diarra. both coincidentally played tonight for their respective teams milan and RM. Both were bought in the same position and ironically diarra who is now arguably one of R Madrids best players left cos flamini was keeping him out of the Arsenal line up! now look who is where?! flamini on the bench for milan being used as a RB and back up for the dodgy ambrosini. id say he wouldn't mind being back at arsenal.

the grass is rarely greener on the other side for ex-gunners!

that was kind of point though! with bendtner it is often the sublime to the ridiculous... the 15 goals weren't atrocious but i watched plenty of matches where some things he did definitely were!

that was kind of my point though! with bendtner it is often the sublime to the ridiculous... the 15 goals weren't atrocious but i watched plenty of matches where some things he did definitely were!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think one of the main points is just how great Wenger is, for all the protection he gives his players, he's also one of the best in the business at knowing when a player has run his race.

Saying that his philosphy on football is something that some players will of course thrive under, some will probably never be able to play well in teams that don't play in the Arsenal way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Kirnsy wrote: »
    I'd have bendtner over kalou, keane, crouch, ngog, voronin, owen, ffs id prefer him over adeboyar too.

the lad is only 21. established himself as first choice with Denmark and is scoring goals with them too. he works extremely hard for the team, scores a fair few goals especially when put up front in his natural striker's position, he has a good attitude IMO, you never see him moan and groan like adeboyar ok he's cocky but i kind of like that about him. he's playing outside right at the moment and doing a good job especially when holding the ball up.
    i think he haas both the potential abililty and mindset to achieve what he wants and i hope its at arsenal!

Have to agree with you here. I would have been head of the anti-Bendtner club a year or two ago but the progress he has made over that time has been great. He really has come along as a player so much and hopefully there is more to come. His attitude is great he is constantly looking to get the ball and puts himself about.

With that said he has still missed a few sitters this season but what player hasn't? ;) it doesn't help he is being played as a right winger mind you, his goal against pool in the cup was sublime :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

My mistake, thought ye were taking about Diaby.

I coming around to Bentner however he could be a lot more consistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Kirnsy wrote: »

Ahead of ngog and voronin, yes. Kalou maybe. Others def not. Bendtner is an average player, he has improved, but that is because he used to be very poor. IMO, he gives the ball away top often high up the pitch and can often take to much out of the ball, allowing opposition defenders filter back. Unless VP gets an injury, he wont be missed over the next month, I dont feel he brings an awful lot to the team except his ability to score headers..

If ye get an Arsenal team together, I'll play. I'm a midfielder by the way..

As for Diaby, I dont think he's been that bad to be honest, in fact the whole team has been fairly strong so far this season, and to be honest it's no coincidence that Eboue has been sitting on the bench most of the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

are Arsenal fans worried about Kroenke increasing his shareholding in Arsenal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Headshot wrote: »
    are Arsenal fans worried about Kroenke increasing his shareholding in Arsenal ?

Not particularly, he's been on the board a while now and hasn't done anything worth drawing attention to himself. People were sceptical of him at first, but he seems to have won over trust internally. But the main factor would be that he's better than some (Uzbek) alternatives.

Well compared to the American owners of other top clubs, *cough* Glazer, Hicks, Gilette *cough* I'd be happy enough with him. He seems a shrewd businessman and obviously sees Arsenal as a shrewd investment where he can make money - lets not kid ourselves that he's here for anything else. He's not going to put the club in further debt and he's been going about the takeover (if it happens) the right way - quietly building up his stake rather than a full frontal assault. Its a good thing for the club imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I think the only other American owner in the premiership he compares to is Randy Lerner. They both own other sporting franchises in the States and they both tend to keep in the shadows rather than mingling in club issues.
    The AST have gone to meet Kroenke in the US and from what I read were very impressed, so thats satisfaction enough for me. It's rumoured that if Kroenke was to take over the club that he will wait till 2011 in order to reduce the price per share he has to pay.

• Advertisement

I'm happy enough with him buying up shares.

Not sure I'd like it if he reached a majority share though. I like the way Arsenal is run currently and I'm not a big fan of one person having too much power.

I'm not sure how everyone else feels about this but I think Arsenal could be on the cusp of a lot of success in the coming years. I definitely expect us to win something this year and as always the key is keeping the side together. Hopefully Xavi can stay going well with Barcelona for a few more years so they won't be needing Cesc too soon. :pac:

I do think with a couple of signings and keeping the squad together we could become a serious force - even the squad depth now is decent, look at the amount of players we have out and its having little effect on the team if any.

Anyway, hope to **** we can overcome the Koeman jinx tonight. Heres hoping for a cagey 2-0... even though Arsenal don't do cagey. :p

I think Arsenal will go to town on them tonight, 4-0, with Arshavin turning in a man of the match performance.

Arshavin needs a big game. Would love to see Eddie start, he really needs games to get his sharpness back.

I'm not worried about Kroenke. He seems to understand Wenger's policies and he has a proven track record at other sports teams.

I predict arsenal to net 3 or 4 against AZ. Can't see them making the same mistake as last time. Especially not at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Lads, I think this is our greatest chance of lifting the champions league this year, im genuinely excited by it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

FearDark wrote: »
    Lads, I think this is our greatest chance of lifting the champions league this year, im genuinely excited by it now.

Have to agree I think we really could be on the cusp of greatness :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

One game at a time fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

If we can keep this form up then nothing will stop us, although I wouldn't be too excited after beating a team who are seventh in the dutch league... but I would get excited after hammering Spurs at the weekend! It seems we have the squad depth now for the most part. Some quality subs coming on tonight. Another defender and a new keeper would be nice though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

tbh what pleases me most is just look at the subs we were able to bring on tonight despite the injury list we have I would confidently predict if, and i know its a big if, Cesc and RVP stay fit for the season or even say 85% of it we will win a trophy and possibly more than the one ;)

One game at a time fellas.

This, tbf we've lost the only two real tests we've had this year.

Let's see how we compare to Chelsea, who imo, will walk the league this year.

Very early to be talking about winning anything yet, although I would admit I like the way the team is playing atm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement