Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The leauge will go to Chelsea I think, but apart from them (and drogba) who else can stop us in the Champions League, we seem to ba making The Emirates a fortress these days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dunphy - Arsenal will win the Champions League, they are like Barcelona but better.

Damn, won't win anything now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Dunphy - Arsenal will win the Champions League, they are like Barcelona but better.

Damn, won't win anything now.

LOUL came in to say exactly this.

Ye're F*CKED now that the Dunphy curse has been cast.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOUL came in to say exactly this.

Ye're F*CKED now that the Dunphy curse has been cast.:pac:

God damn Dunphy, and I had just uttered the words I think we'll win it too, we're doubly screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

good win , good performance but nothing won yet.

ps. fabregas is sexxxxxxxxy when he plays football. (yes im a guy)

his form this year has been pretty impressive!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

14 apps, 8 goals & 11 assists.

mmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Corcs001 wrote: »
    If we can keep this form up then nothing will stop us, although I wouldn't be too excited after beating a team who are seventh in the dutch league... but I would get excited after hammering Spurs at the weekend!
    But 'this form' IS against a team who are 7th in the Dutch league. And while I think we would've beaten Spurs at the weekend anyway, they were missing their three best attacking players and self-destructed at 1-0.

Before that, we threw away 2-0 and 1-0 leads against West Ham and Alkmaar and gave Birmingham plenty of chances at 2-1 to make that game tighter.

We might well win something this year but it's not a done deal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't think Chelsea will win it purely because they're going to lose a huge amount of players in January, principally Drogba who is huge for them. In addition Kalou, Mikel and Essien missing means that if they get an injury to Anelka or any first teamer and they could struggle. They were very poor against a bad Atletico side the other night. I predict this Premiership will be won by a very small margin possible even a point or GD. Which is why Arsenal need to stop pissing away points like at West Ham.

On tonights match; only saw the highlights but the football played is phenomenal to watch. Gibbs looked shaky from what I saw - schoolboy stuff getting the wrong side of his man at one stage but hopefully he'll shake that off. And how empty was the Emirates tonight?! Considering how difficult it is to get tickets, the place looked bare. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    We might well win something this year but it's not a done deal yet.

I agree with you 100% on this statement. We'll see after the Chelsea game where we stand. In regards to the Birmingham game, while we didn't play at our best we did grind out a result which is what Utd are or were so capable of doing. If we can grind out results even when we don't play that well I think we can win anything. No team can play at their best in every single game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Fever Pitch on Film 4 +1 , always worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Just thought I'd pop in to say I love how Fabregas has developed his game. He is slowly turning into a Lampard style midfielder, who dictates the play behind the strikers with passing, but is well capable of being involved in goals. It also means he is no longer in direct competition with Xavi, and thus they can both compliment each other amazingly for Spain. It's frightening how well Cesc has been playing this year.

Probably the most impressive player in world football so far this year.

So long as ye leave him to us for another few years Eze, all will be well :)

eZe^ wrote: »
    Just thought I'd pop in to say I love how Fabregas has developed his game. He is slowly turning into a Lampard style midfielder, who dictates the play behind the strikers with passing, but is well capable of being involved in goals. It also means he is no longer in direct competition with Xavi, and thus they can both compliment each other amazingly for Spain. It's frightening how well Cesc has been playing this year.

Probably the most impressive player in world football so far this year.

And Barca.;)

I think we can all accept he will go back to Barcelona at some stage of his career. I do hope though that he'll stay with us until he's 25/26 - which is 3 more seasons because I think he'll become a much better player for it and has a real opportunity to win trophies during that time too. As I highlighted earlier in the thread, very few players sold by AW go on to better things when they wish to leave.

See, I don't like that Barca buy alot of players from Arsenal in the first place. If it was my choice I wouldn't go for Fabregas, we simply don't need him, we'd pay far too much money for him too. Barca are absolute goombas when it the transfer market in general, pay twice as much as a players worse, and sell for 1/2 seems to be the consensus.

At the same time, Fabregas is a great player, and will make any world XI stronger by being included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

See, I don't like that Barca buy alot of players from Arsenal in the first place. If it was my choice I wouldn't go for Fabregas, we simply don't need him, we'd pay far too much money for him too. Barca are absolute goombas when it the transfer market in general, pay twice as much as a players worse, and sell for 1/2 seems to be the consensus.

At the same time, Fabregas is a great player, and will make any world XI stronger by being included.

In lieu of the Eto'o transfer, I think I'd settle for Iniesta/Messi + £30-40m for him :D

Between Petit, Overmars, Henry and Hleb we're almost a Barcelona feeder club. :(

cson wrote: »
    Between Petit, Overmars, Henry and Hleb we're almost a Barcelona feeder club. :(

Ye did f*cking AMAZINGLY out of those four transfer fees, in all fairness. And not one of them (apart from Henry arguably for one season last year) ever came close to their Arsenal form at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Out of those 4, the only one I think they did really well with the transfer fee with was Overmars. They did get huge money for him though.

Petit wasn't much, about £7m. Hleb went for about as much as Arsenal paid Stuttgart for him (yes he was shit at Barca but he had played well for Arsenal and left the club without Arsenal even making a profit from him). Henry was €20m. Yes he was 29 by the time he left, but he was still regarded as one of the world's top footballers then, and €20m is the very least I would have expected him to leave for.

Also add van Bronckhorst to the list. He achieved more at Barca than he did at Arsenal, he actually managed to get into their team for a start.

• Advertisement

Out of those 4, the only one I think they did really well with the transfer fee with was Overmars. They did get huge money for him though.

Petit wasn't much, about £7m. Hleb went for about as much as Arsenal paid Stuttgart for him (yes he was shit at Barca but he had played well for Arsenal and left the club without Arsenal even making a profit from him). Henry was €20m. Yes he was 29 by the time he left, but he was still regarded as one of the world's top footballers then, and €20m is the very least I would have expected him to leave for.

Fair enough, but just as important is that Wenger always knows when to sell his players and they have a handy knack of going off the boil once they leave his tutelage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

cson wrote: »
    Also add van Bronckhorst to the list.

And Silvinho.

Although Cesc and Merida have come the other way so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

If we can keep this form up then nothing will stop us, although I wouldn't be too excited after beating a team who are seventh in the dutch league... but I would get excited after hammering Spurs at the weekend! It seems we have the squad depth now for the most part. Some quality subs coming on tonight. Another defender and a new keeper would be nice though!

I think you are getting carried away with yourself. It's not even mid November. Been here before...........numerous times over the years.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Ye did f*cking AMAZINGLY out of those four transfer fees, in all fairness. And not one of them (apart from Henry arguably for one season last year) ever came close to their Arsenal form at Barca.

To be fair, Henry managed to win to do in two seasons what he never managed to do at Arsenal, win the CL. He may not have been as astounding, but he was playing in a team where he was no longer the big fish. He altered his game perfectly, and was probably the best left winger in the world last season.
    Also add van Bronckhorst to the list. He achieved more at Barca than he did at Arsenal, he actually managed to get into their team for a start.

Van Bronck was a class act for us. Him leaving was probably the most crucial indication that Barca were not going to win anything the following year. Not because he was so good, but because that season he was sold, Barca decided to sell attacking wingbacks (like Van B) for more defensively astute players (Zambrotta, Abidal). That meant the wingers weren't overlapping with the fullbacks as much, and that made Barca much easier to contain. I loved Van Bonckhorst, lovely little player.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    And Silvinho...

Sylvinho wasn't sold directly from Arsenal to Barca, he played at Celta Vigo in between.

Young Guns reporting that Benik Afobe has flown to Barca to check out their facilities and be serenaded, so he may be about to become the latest Gooner to go that way.

Personally, I like that Barca often go for our players. What would it say if they had no interest in them at all...

Young Guns reporting that Benik Afobe has flown to Barca to check out their facilities and be serenaded, so he may be about to become the latest Gooner to go that way.

Wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure you're close to robbing the latest Iniesta MK II from us anyway. :D;)

• Advertisement

http://www.plusmarketsgroup.com/PLUS_news_story.shtml?NewsID=903581&ISIN=GB0030895238/GBX/PLUS-exn

Stan Kroenke has bought more shares and now owns 29.9% of the club. I believe any more purchases would trigger a mandatory takeover bid.

Stay where you are, please Stan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

To be fair, Henry managed to win to do in two seasons what he never managed to do at Arsenal, win the CL.

To also be fair, Henry had the opportunity to win it with Arsenal in 06. In fact the reason they didn't win it was because he pissed away some glorious opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

http://www.plusmarketsgroup.com/PLUS_news_story.shtml?NewsID=903581&ISIN=GB0030895238/GBX/PLUS-exn

Stan Kroenke has bought more shares and now owns 29.9% of the club. I believe any more purchases would trigger a mandatory takeover bid.

If Kroenke tries a takeover bid now he will have to pay 10,500 per share which is the highest he paid in the last 12months. If he leaves it another year he may only have to pay 8,500 per share so as a savy business man I would expect him to stay at 29.9% for a while anyway. The only thing that might change this is if usmanov began to gather more shares.

To also be fair, Henry had the opportunity to win it with Arsenal in 06. In fact the reason they didn't win it was because he pissed away some glorious opportunities.

So inevitably, him, and arsenal, didn't do what was required of them to win the CL? Which was exactly my point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

The shares he is buying currently are coming from shareholders such as the chairman Peter Hill Wood. He seems to have a very good relationship with the board so I don't see it as them cashing in to give control over to him. I think its so that he won't be tempted to sell his shares to anyone else.

I find it hard to believe that he will be making a move to buy 100% of the club anytime soon even if he did I don't think he'd get all the shares anyway. Shareholders are not obliged to sell their shares no matter how much money he offers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Very enjoyable match last night. some cracking goals albeit against a fairly mediocre team.

Just think, we could in theory field this team at the weekend:cool:(not gonna happen of course)

Almunia

Sagna
    Gallas
    Vermaelen
    Gibbs

Fab
    Song
    Nasri

Rosicky
    Arshavin

RVP

That would be so class. even though a little bit lacking in height:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

playa3 wrote: »
    That would be so class. even though a little bit lacking in height:p

Not at all, if football was to be played in the clouds God would have put grass up there, play the beautifull game the way it was intended ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Almunia

Sagna
    Gallas
    Vermaelen
    Gibbs

Fab
    Song
    Nasri

Rosicky
    Arshavin

RVP

That's definitely our strongest team imo, with Nasri and Rosicky interchangeable if needs must

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Had no idea he was so highly rated.
    Personally, I like that Barca often go for our players. What would it say if they had no interest in them at all...

Flattering, isn't it?

I only see one real weakness in this team

Almunia

Sagna
    Gallas
    Vermaelen
    Gibbs

Fab
    Song
    Nasri

Rosicky
    Arshavin

RVP

Another very needless goal let in last night and the frustrating thing is it happened after he made a fantastic save. He will get away with that one cos we were 4-0 up but this will happen again and it we may not be 4-0 up. I hate to flog a dead donkey but I was on such a high lst night at 4-0 then a mistake and all I could think was this IS going to happen again in a more important match. Almunia is a pretty good shot stopper but imo he still does not have good decision making or command of his area. All the other players in the Arsenal team are improving and most are below their peak age. Almunia is in his goalkeeping prime and although he has improved over the last while he still I think lacks the quality of a keeper that Arsenal should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Another very needless goal let in last night and the frustrating thing is it happened after he made a fantastic save. He will get away with that one cos we were 4-0 up but this will happen again and it we may not be 4-0 up. I hate to flog a dead donkey but I was on such a high lst night at 4-0 then a mistake and all I could think was this IS going to happen again in a more important match. Almunia is a pretty good shot stopper but imo he still does not have good decision making or command of his area. All the other players in the Arsenal team are improving and most are below their peak age. Almunia is in his goalkeeping prime and although he has improved over the last while he still I think lacks the quality of a keeper that Arsenal should have.

Think your been very hard on Almunia tbh, Gibbs was pushed off the ball very easy and there was no-one in the centre of defence as they were both up trying to score even though we were 4-0 up and Almunia was caught between two minds i.e cover the near side or cover the ball across the middle, admittedly he seemed to end up doing neither but I think he was wrong footed and it looked worse than it was, with the set-up we have and the football we are oplaying with 10 'ball' players who can all score off course we will concede a few, very harsh to blame Al for this imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Think your been very hard on Almunia tbh, Gibbs was pushed off the ball very easy and there was no-one in the centre of defence as they were both up trying to score even though we were 4-0 up and Almunia was caught between two minds i.e cover the near side or cover the ball across the middle, admittedly he seemed to end up doing neither but I think he was wrong footed and it looked worse than it was, with the set-up we have and the football we are oplaying with 10 'ball' players who can all score off course we will concede a few, very harsh to blame Al for this imo.

Agreed. He was caught between a rock and a hard place and ended up doing neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I've just looked at it again and he was definitely wrong footed whilst trying to cover a cross instead of a shot on goal. Arsenal were really pushing up at that stage and they got caught on the break. Over eagerness on the part of the defenders to get on the score sheet if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Fabregas looked like he was upset with someone after he scored the 1st goal, any idea what was going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Fabregas looked like he was upset with someone after he scored the 1st goal, any idea what was going on?

He was shouting at one of the AZ defenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thought this was cool

verm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Anyone see the interview on SSN there with someone outside the Emirates, and the SSN interviewer said is this the most attacking Arsenal side you've seen, and your man replies " When Arsenal are in free flowing football it's as much fun you could have whilst keeping your clothes on" :pac:

I can see what you are saying regarding the defensive situation but he still did nothing, IMO Given or Reina would have saved that shot. Arsenal are a team that throw alot of players forward which is even more incentive to have a better than average goalkeeper. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I never feel confident that Almunia is going to go through a game without making at least one mistake. I feel confident that arsenal will score, this season I feel confident in Song and our defence is getting better but still not Almunia. Would love to see a new keeper bought in Jan. We were crying out for a DM last window now that Song has stepped up a top class keeper would make us even more formidible.

Paleface wrote: »
    I've just looked at it again and he was definitely wrong footed whilst trying to cover a cross instead of a shot on goal. Arsenal were really pushing up at that stage and they got caught on the break. Over eagerness on the part of the defenders to get on the score sheet if anything.

While I agree that it probably was not Almunia's fault I still think he's not up to the standard of a top four keeper and would prefer if Arsene bought a better keeper. Oh if we only got Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Oh if we only got Given.

I dont think that was ever a runner, as I dont think Given will ever play with a team in the South, his missus is from the North East and apparantly she wont move to London..

I dont think that was ever a runner, as I dont think Given will ever play with a team in the South, his missus is from the North East and apparantly she wont move to London..

I know we never would have or will get him but one can dream!

Gianni was a superb bit of business - look who we got in return :D
    I can see what you are saying regarding the defensive situation but he still did nothing, IMO Given or Reina would have saved that shot.

Ah sure we can buy Reina during the relegation firesale next summer :P

Edit: Actually I'm trying to think who I'd take from Liverpool to us and I can safely say only Reina and Torres would get in our team imo. And of course not forgetting Stevie G, despite the fact I'm not gone on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'd take Mascherano as a defensive midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I know we never would have or will get him but one can dream!

I hear ya!! He'd def be on the xmas list, super stopper and exudes confidence to the 4 on front of him..

• Advertisement

From Sky Sports;

Wolves v Arsenal
    The Gunners will again be without defender Gael Clichy (back) as Kieran Gibbs looks set to continue at left-back after performing well against AZ.

Striker Nicklas Bendtner pulled up in the 3-0 win over rivals Spurs last weekend with a groin injury and he is set to be sidelined for at least four weeks.

Left-back Armand Traore and forward Carlos Vela are also suffering from groin troubles and although they are close to fitness, neither will be included.

Midfielder Jack Wilshere (ankle) and goalkeeper Lukas Fabianski (thigh) are also out, while Brazilian Denilson (back) and England forward Theo Walcott (knee) should resume training following the international break, but centre-back Johan Djourou (knee) remains absent.

Bacary Sagna could return at right-back after missing the game in midweek, with Emmanuel Eboue possibly dropping back down to the bench.

0-3 for me. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement