Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jasonorr wrote: »
    Diaby doesn't play does he?

Nope, they play a middle three of Toulanan, Diarra and Gourcuff.

Too bad for us (as Irish) with the form Diaby's been in lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I think Song is playing a qualifier?

Oh your right, in that case his legs will probably fall off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

thorbarry wrote: »
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/international-watch-15-gunners-on-duty

there's a full list of all players involved in internationals this week

I'm dreading the France match just hope that Gallas and Sagna come through all right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Apparently Barca fans reckon Fabregas is a certainty to play for them in next couple of seasons. What do you guys reckon?

CHD wrote: »
    Apparently Barca fans reckon Fabregas is a certainty to play for them in next couple of seasons. What do you guys reckon?

He absolutely will.

Unless we start pulling the League and Champions League trophies out of the bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Barca and their fans are a poison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tell me about it, what a bunch of tossers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lol randoments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

eZe^ wrote: »
    Tell me about it, what a bunch of tossers.
    Reported :P

They are no more poison than any group of fans on here. Guess Fabregas is on his way so unless Arsenal have a huge season.

• Advertisement

Guess Fabregas is on his way so unless Arsenal have a huge season.

He won't go this summer. At least I highly highly doubt it unless they come in with a ridiculously huge money offer that the economist in Wenger couldn't possibly turn down.

After the 2011/2012 season is when I'll hazard a guess for him to go, he will have given the club the guts of a decade by then and will probably feel it's time to move on.

Also Xavi will be 32/33 by then so they'll be looking towards a replacement.

I agree with Frisbee on this one. I would be very surprised if he does not move to Barcelona. He's 22/23 and he aint gonna stay at Arsenal forever. When he does eventually move on, we will be fine. When big stars left before we have been fine and Fab leaving will be no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

thorbarry wrote: »
    I agree with Frisbee on this one. I would be very surprised if he does not move to Barcelona. He's 22/23 and he aint gonna stay at Arsenal forever. When he does eventually move on, we will be fine. When big stars left before we have been fine and Fab leaving will be no different.

true to an extent however the difference between fab leaving in two years and vieria and henry for example leaving, is that fabregas will be entering into his (statistically) best years of his game 26-29/30 while the other two were on the other end of the scale, not quite at their peak and on their way down.

however with the likes of ramsey and wilshere really improving im sure Arsenal will regroup and recover with a couple of €€ profit on the fabregas deal!

on another barca note eZe^, ive read (from extremely dodgy sources namely Goal.com) that arsenal are keeping an eye on Gai Assulin the israeli wonderkid; any chance you could give us the lowdown on him? I think I remember himself gio dos santos and bojan were all highly regarded at their age group. what stage is he at?And final question about Pedro... where did he spring out of?? or was he always a player with big expectations at barca? he's doing well for himself this season so far anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

http://youngguns.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/carlos-vela-agrees-terms-on-new-arsenal-contract/
    Carlos Vela will commit his long-term future to Arsenal in the coming weeks after his agent, Eduardo Hernández, successfully negotiated fresh terms on a new deal with Chief executive Ivan Gazidis. Vela has agreed in principle and all that remains is for the formalities to be completed and for the Mexican to ink his name on the paper.

The news comes just days after Arsène Wenger confirmed that the 20-year-old is on the comeback trail following a knee injury sustained in training just hours before the Carling Cup tie with Liverpool. Ironically Vela’s first game back should be the same competition as the young Gunners make the trip to Eastlands where Manchester City stand in their way of a place in the semi-finals.

Carlos’ current contract is due to expire in July 2011 and with a handful of Spanish clubs already inquiring about his availability, Wenger has continued his trend of tieing down his most promising youngsters to long-term deals. The official line from the club will be that it’s a ‘long-term’ contract which is expected to be around 4-5 years in length.

Hernández originally sat down with Gazidis in September where tentative talks were held but both parties have significantly stepped things up in recent weeks and an announcement is set to be imminent.

Excellent news this if true. Hope we get to see more of him when he gets back from his injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

playa3 wrote: »
    http://youngguns.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/carlos-vela-agrees-terms-on-new-arsenal-contract/

Excellent news this if true. Hope we get to see more of him when he gets back from his injury

frisbee's going to like this...

Kirnsy wrote: »

on another barca note eZe^, ive read (from extremely dodgy sources namely Goal.com) that arsenal are keeping an eye on Gai Assulin the israeli wonderkid; any chance you could give us the lowdown on him? I think I remember himself gio dos santos and bojan were all highly regarded at their age group. what stage is he at?And final question about Pedro... where did he spring out of?? or was he always a player with big expectations at barca? he's doing well for himself this season so far anyway!

Gai Assulin is the 'next star' from the Barca cantera. He has all the natural talent in the world, more gifted than Pedro/ Jeffren/ Gio Dos Santos, a potential Iniesta. Plays as an attacking midfielder, very skilled. The best player in the Athletic team at the moment along with Gio's younger brother Jonathan. I really doubt that Arsenal will be able to steal him, he rated very very highly by everyone at Barca, and I have a feeling that Guardiola will be the vital decider, seeing as he has coached all of the Athletic players 2 seasons ago, so they trust him.

Although it's been rumoured that Arsenal are willing to offer around 8 million pounds, which is a heck of alot. If Guardiola doesn't rate him highly enough, or things the likes of Johnaton Dos Santos can easily replace him, he'll be sold.

Pedro was never really seen as the new wonderkid when he played for Barca Athletic, he was more like a solid player who could potentially play for the first team in the Copa Del Rey etc. However he has really taken his opportunities by the scruff of the neck. He's a great little back up player, and is good because he is more direct that other players in the team. He has scored in 5 competitions so far this season, and could potentially score in 6, which I think is some sort of a record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Diaby doesn't play does he?

He's in the squad.
    I think Song is playing a qualifier?

I think Cameroon have already qualified. Not certain though.

PS: Vela! :D

Galvasean wrote: »

I think Cameroon have already qualified. Not certain though.

PS: Vela! :D

Nope, need a win to guarantee qualification, but can still qualify if other results go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Frisbee wrote: »
    He won't go this summer. At least I highly highly doubt it unless they come in with a ridiculously huge money offer that the economist in Wenger couldn't possibly turn down.

After the 2011/2012 season is when I'll hazard a guess for him to go, he will have given the club the guts of a decade by then and will probably feel it's time to move on.

Also Xavi will be 32/33 by then so they'll be looking towards a replacement.

Precisely the thing - Cesc would be better served by toughing out 2/3 more seasons with Arsenal. I think as Arsenal fans we can accept he's not going to be a lifer and as has been mentioned he is Xavi's natural successor, so inevitably he'll end up at Barcelona eventually.

But hold on.... what if he buys into the Arsene Wenger policy of growing from the ground up and bringing players through to add to the experience already there, what then? Maybe Cesc will be happy to lead a revolutionary team against all that is apathethic in the world of football right now? Maybe Arsenal and Barcelona can contest the Champions League Final 11 v 11 this time around and hey, who cares then what nationality/or club he's 'signing' for Cesc is?

Here's hoping. :)

Thats great news on Carlos Vela. He played a decent number of games last season for a striker his age. In a couple of years i think we will see alot more from him, he really does have great potential. I call him chippy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

€50m plus YaYa. I'd snap their hands off.

I think he'll be gone either way. If we win SFA he'll say that's 5 yrs without a trophy and I've had enough but if we were to win the Champs Lge he'd say that was my ambition with Arsenal and I've achieved it and now I wish to return home.

I'd love him to stay though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Hey guys, instead of talking about Cesc leaving why don't we discuss Arsenal as they are this season and our budding title ambition right now.

I've been monitoring this thread for the past couple of days waiting for something interesting to come up but all we seem to be able to manage here is international talk and Cesc's inevitable departure. Neither are a motivational topic!

All the other team threads seem happy to talk about the here and now.

Vela's expected new contract is obviously good news but we've seen nothing of him really this season so where will he fit into the first team?
    What are your thoughts on our next fixture?
    When can we expect players back from injury?
    How do you think we'll do against city in the Carling Cup and who should play?

playa3 wrote: »

YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

cson wrote: »
    Precisely the thing - Cesc would be better served by toughing out 2/3 more seasons with Arsenal. I think as Arsenal fans we can accept he's not going to be a lifer and as has been mentioned he is Xavi's natural successor, so inevitably he'll end up at Barcelona eventually.

I reckon Ramsey will be the deciding factor as to when Cesc's sold. I think it's quite clear he's being groomed as the direct replacement, so whenever Wenger thinks Ramsey's ready he'll cash in on Cesc. Probably 2-3 years like most say, however Ramsey's coming along quite nicely and a large offer from Barca in the summer could be tempting...

Paleface wrote: »

Vela's expected new contract is obviously good news but we've seen nothing of him really this season so where will he fit into the first team?

You wouldn't believe how adored he is at the Emirates. When I was over for the West Brom game when they called out the players' names before the match the massive cheer that went up for Vela, you'd swear it was the second coming of Thierry Henry!
    He can slot in pretty much anywhere into our attacking 5. Nice n' versatile.
    Paleface wrote:
    What are your thoughts on our next fixture?

Sunderland away. Trickyenough fixture, but I'd predicta 2-1 win. actually will Jones still be suspended?
    Paleface wrote:
    How do you think we'll do against city in the Carling Cup and who should play?

Wenger has stated he will stick with the youngsters. Looks like Vela will be available so I'd expect him to be there. I'd also expect Bendtner and/or Walcott to make an appearance as Wenger has a tendancy to put in players recovering from injury.
    I was very pesimistic when the draw was made, but looking at City's current form, they look a very beatable team (yes I realise the irony considering they've only lost one, but they have lost sloppy points to weak opposition).

I reckon Ramsey will be the deciding factor as to when Cesc's sold. I think it's quite clear he's being groomed as the direct replacement, so whenever Wenger thinks Ramsey's ready he'll cash in on Cesc. Probably 2-3 years like most say, however Ramsey's coming along quite nicely and a large offer from Barca in the summer could be tempting...
    I don't think Ramsey will be quite ready to fill fabregas' boots next season. 2/3 years possibly. Fabregas' presence at the club can only benefit the lad, showing him the ropes, teaching him the tricks.
    That said, €50 million plus Yaya would be tempting, but I'd rather wait longer.

Ah who knows, maybe in 2/3 years time Arsenal will have reached their potential and be a bigger club than Barcelona :cool:

I don't think Ramsey will be quite ready to fill fabregas' boots next season. 2/3 years possibly. Fabregas' presence at the club can only benefit the lad, showing him the ropes, teaching him the tricks.

Probably not, but I was very impressed with the performances he's putting this season, at least he's further along in his development than i had realised so I think it remains as an outside possibility.

The other factor is we now have Rosicky back! If he can get back to his old ways he can play the Cesc role in a 3 man midfield no problem (it's his best position after all). And Song, Denilson and Nasri all seem to be getting better slowly but surely so losing Cesc sooner rather than later shouldn't affect the team too badly (obviously it will to some degree, a player like Cesc is practically irreplaceable, but we have enough talent elsewhere to maintain winning ways).

Ah who knows, maybe in 2/3 years time Arsenal will have reached their potential and be a bigger club than Barcelona :cool:

Of course they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If Ronaldo can go for €96 and Kaka €60 then Fabregas has got to be at least €75-80 and I wouldnt settle for a penny less.

redout wrote: »
    If Ronaldo can go for €96 and Kaka €60 then Fabregas has got to be at least €75-80 and I wouldnt settle for a penny less.
    Wouldn't Yaya be worth about €25?

Perhaps but why do you want him exactly ? He is more a combative midfielder with defensive duties than a creator. Surely you would try for a like for like no ?

He's a more experienced version of Song imo, €25 would seem pretty steep to me for that type of player (although I know Eze will be on here like a shot to tell me otherwise ;))

Tbh, the main reason i would completely avoid Yaya now though is that i'd be afraid the relationship with Kolo could cause bad blood in the dressing room.
    Surely you would try for a like for like no ?

We don't need another creative midfielder, even if Cesc were to leave tomorrow. We do lack cover for Song though.

• Advertisement

Both to the circus that is Real Madrid though.

I know Barca aren't the most savvy in the transfer market but I doubt they'd have that kinda money...

I know Barca aren't the most savvy in the transfer market but I doubt they'd have that kinda money...

they spend €45m on Ibrahamovich. They were prepared to offer €75m reportedly (if Eto'o wasn't to be part of the deal). They don't piss it away as much as Madrid do, but they still have it. A price of €75-80m for Cesc isn't unreasonable.

A price of €75-80m for Cesc isn't unreasonable.

He's easily worth that yeah. I can't see Barca having that kinda money to spend though, at least not for a few years yet after the debacle that was the Ibra transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dont think Toure would be a runner simply cant see Wenger drop Song for him. Then again its a few years away so time will tell.

Both to the circus that is Real Madrid though.

New president on the way. The same old ridiculous "I will sign 3 World stars" talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

See "fat" frank lampard :P is out for 3 weeks.....wonder will he make it in time for our clash on Nov 29!

they spend €45m on Ibrahamovich. They were prepared to offer €75m reportedly (if Eto'o wasn't to be part of the deal). They don't piss it away as much as Madrid do, but they still have it. A price of €75-80m for Cesc isn't unreasonable.

I would consider it unreasonable, however not completely unattainable. The pannish big two seem to have money to burn when it comes to transfers. If our best player ever does have to leave I want it to be for extortionate prices. I'm still a bit disappointed about selling Henry for only £20million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

MBC wrote: »
    See "fat" frank lampard :P is out for 3 weeks.....wonder will he make it in time for our clash on Nov 29!

Just comin on to post that:
    McLink

Would really fancy our chances against the 'Pensioners' (what an apt nickname :P) if lampard was out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

MBC wrote: »

McLink

Would really fancy our chances against the 'Pensioners' (what an apt nickname :P) if Lampard was out

Double post, OOPs my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Hey guys, instead of talking about Cesc leaving why don't we discuss Arsenal as they are this season and our budding title ambition right now.

I've been monitoring this thread for the past couple of days waiting for something interesting to come up but all we seem to be able to manage here is international talk and Cesc's inevitable departure. Neither are a motivational topic!

Here, here.

Enough of the negativity lads, I know Fabregas will leave some day, but Id rather not entertain the thought until it happens

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    McLink

Would really fancy our chances against the 'Pensioners' (what an apt nickname :P) if Lampard was out

Double post, OOPs my bad

This is potentially great news as they will more than likely be without Cashley aswell.

Please God we'll have all our main players available but I'm not counting on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Fabs will never leave Arsenal. I have a great feeling about this. When Henry returns to the club in a coaching capacity in the near future, it will be great for us all. Many players have left Arsenal I though would stay (Hleb, Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Kanu) but I just have this feeling Cesc will not. Can't explain it. Maybe he looked at the other players who left the club and never reached the dizzy heights of Arsenal again. We are on the threshold of something huge here and Fabs will be a part of it.

DenMan wrote: »
    We are on the threshold of something huge here and Fabs will be a part of it.

We've been saying that for the past 2-3 years now and nothing has really changed in that time.

As for Cesc: I'd say a lot will depend on this years results. If we do well, it might prove the motivation for Cesc to stay on a few more years, but if it ends up like 07/08 I think he'll look to leave fairly lively. No real rationale for thinking that, but if I were in his boots that's probably what I'd do.

Bring on Chelsea anyway, i think that could be the make or break game for the side. So far in the two big games we've played, we've lost composure and pissed away the game without our opponents necessarily playing well. If something similar happens on the 29th (particularly considering we've home advantage this time), then we can say good bye to any notion of silverware this season imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

DenMan wrote: »
    Fabs will never leave Arsenal. I have a great feeling about this. When Henry returns to the club in a coaching capacity in the near future, it will be great for us all. Many players have left Arsenal I though would stay (Hleb, Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Kanu) but I just have this feeling Cesc will not. Can't explain it. Maybe he looked at the other players who left the club and never reached the dizzy heights of Arsenal again. We are on the threshold of something huge here and Fabs will be a part of it.

I really, really, really hope you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This is potentially great news as they will more than likely be without Cashley aswell.

Please God we'll have all our main players available but I'm not counting on it!

Lampard, Cashley and Boswinga.

Ivanovic seems ok but he looks slow enough and we'd be in a good position to exploit that.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Lampard, Cashley and Boswinga.

Ivanovic seems ok but he looks slow enough and we'd be in a good position to exploit that.

He's a good man to score a header though which we're not fantastic at defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Both RVP and Song are on four bookings, lets hope they don't pick up any bookings next week at Sunderland otherwise I think they miss the Chelsea match.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Both RVP and Song are on four bookings, lets hope they don't pick up any bookings next week at Sunderland otherwise I think they miss the Chelsea match.

Aye, next week would be a great time to rest Song especially...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

These have probably been posted before but I love them :D

Although, this;

Is still far and away my favourite one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Holy ****balls!!!!! :eek::eek:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2729767/Blues-hit-by-crock-crisis.html

Could it be??

If we do in fact get that lucky with injuries and beat a well depleted Chelsea, I might just start believing.

Still, lots of players out on international duty. Hopefully they all come back ok.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement