Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I'll be Highbury High when I get my team in.

I'm Glorious Gooners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm Glorious Gooners.

I'm Banditos del Diablo (no idea why:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jasonorr wrote: »
    Been looking through a couple of websites and as it stands, not including Senderos to Everton, Wenger has spent (roughly) £28-43m since he arrived in '96. That's £2-3m a year!!! :eek:

That's amazing! I didn't realise he was THAT stingy when it comes to finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'm Glorious Gooners.

Recession Busters!!

Not very Arsenal themed I must admit but hey I'm a current affairs man!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

Was just reading the Cesc rumours and it really just seems like lazy journalism again. A slight lull in big name moves and they go back to this old gem! There is no way he is going anywhere and if, in some perverse world, he was to go it would be for a lot more than 35m!

And i also agree with jaybud in preferring Djourou as CB cover. He looked more secure in the albeit short run of games he got last season than Senderos had looked the season before. Although if one of him, Gallas or Vermaelen were to get injured we would be looking pretty thin for cover. Another utility back who could play across the back four would be wonderful, especially if Eboue goes. Of course that is in an ideal world and don't now where we would find this player!

My FF team name is RedivideR. I like palindromes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

My team name was "Gary Glitters U' 13's"

I got an email to change the name :pac:

EDIT: "Im now Grampus 8 my hamster", just to keep teh Arsenal/Wenger link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm in now, Highbury High, picked a random system generaed team, so will make changes over the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Pretty slow news day. Some reports of Traore going on loan to Birmingham. I wouldnt mind seeing him stay and fight it out with Gibbs for second choice left back. I think both players are very good and quick, We're pretty spoiled for choice when it comes to left back i think

Yeah, and how weird is it that our last 4 left backs (Cashley, Clichy, Gibbs and Traore) all look pretty much identical?

You're right, slow news day.

Yes, nothing less than a win for the young guns.;)

Nil Nil draw.
    http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/171605/reserves/boreham-wood-v-arsenal-res?tab=report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Galvasean wrote: »

Pity, sounded like a good game with plenty of chances for our lads.
    Well that's an end to the 100% record then for them.

Yeah, and how weird is it that our last 4 left backs (Cashley, Clichy, Gibbs and Traore) all look pretty much identical?

HA HA 4 small slightly black men :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

thorbarry wrote: »
    HA HA 4 small slightly black men :P
    All pacy,quick and an bald to :D.

From arsenal.com

Draw takes place this Friday the 7th, it will be interesting

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/champions-league-who-can-arsenal-face-
    1. Arsenal (QUALIFIED)
    2. Lyon (QUALIFIED)
    3. Shakhtar Donetsk (3QR)
    4. Sporting Lisbon (QUALIFIED)
    5. Panathinaikos (QUALIFIED)
    6. VfB Stuttgart (QUALIFIED)
    7. Fiorentina (QUALIFIED)
    8. Atletico Madrid (QUALIFIED)
    9. Celtic (3QR)
    10. Anderlecht (QUALIFIED)
    11. Dinamo Bucharest (3QR)
    12. Dinamo Moscow (3QR)

The eight teams with QUALIFIED by their name, are already definitely in the hat for the Play-Off Round. The four teams with 3QR by their name must win their Third Qualifying Round ties to secure their place. The second legs of those ties will be completed on Wednesday night.

There are no poor teams on that list. Maybe play stuttgart, see Alex Hleb again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'd take Timisoara or Andelecht...if either of these teams were to cause Arsenal serious problems then we really don't deserve to be there!

Well done Celtic by the way...about time they won away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

belcarra wrote: »
    I'd take Timisoara or Andelecht...if either of these teams were to cause Arsenal serious problems then we really don't deserve to be there!

Well done Celtic by the way...about time they won away!!

You would hope not to meet anderlecht, they have a very good team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nothing official, but it's being talked about here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

JPA wrote: »

to be fair though looking at the teams there who would be an easier draw for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anderlecht would be good I'd say, better than any of the far flung teams (Bucharest, for example) as it's close by - I doubt ye'd have any problem getting through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tbh if Arsenal can't beat any of those teams they don't deserve to be in the Champions League. A touch harsh maybe, but if you harbour ambitions of winning it.... ;)

cson wrote: »
    Tbh if Arsenal can't beat any of those teams they don't deserve to be in the Champions League. A touch harsh maybe, but if you harbour ambitions of winning it.... ;)

spot on

to be fair though looking at the teams there who would be an easier draw for them?

Is it from this list
    1. Arsenal (QUALIFIED)
    2. Lyon (QUALIFIED)
    3. Shakhtar Donetsk (3QR)
    7. Fiorentina (QUALIFIED)
    8. Atletico Madrid (QUALIFIED)
    9. Celtic (3QR)
    10. Anderlecht (QUALIFIED)
    12. Dinamo Moscow (3QR)

If so I'd think these teams would be easier.

9. Celtic (3QR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone have the code for our fantasy football league? PM please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is it from this list
    There's seedings. Arsenal can draw:

Fiorentina
    Atletico Madrid
    Celtic
    Anderlecht
    Timisoara

Interesting that 3 of the teams you wouldn't mind drawing are seeded. :) As long as Celtic avoid Arsenal and Lyon I'm happy.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »

Fiorentina
    Atletico Madrid
    Celtic
    Anderlecht
    Timisoara

Interesting that 3 of the teams you wouldn't mind drawing are seeded. :) As long as Celtic avoid Arsenal and Lyon I'm happy.

I'm not an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

eirebhoy wrote: »

Fiorentina
    Atletico Madrid
    Celtic
    Anderlecht
    Timisoara

No disrespct to Celtic, but would be delighted if we got Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Is it from this list

If so I'd think these teams would be easier.

9. Celtic (3QR)

as said below Arsenal can only meet some teams in the next stage as they are seeded.

Of the teams Arsenal can meet

Fiorentina
    Atletico Madrid
    Celtic
    Anderlecht
    Timisoara

Timisoara are the only team I would consider weaker than Anderlecht the others you can argue but IMO Anderlecht would be almost as good a draw as they can get as compared to the other potential teams I wouldn't consider them as strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Well, if this is true, the only good thing is that our injuries have started before the transfer window closes, so it will allow Wenger to see the true deficiencies in the squad and hopefully splash a bit of cash.

• Advertisement

Wenger needs to get a midfielder ASAP.:(

There were reports of this yesterday, but only from the Sun, thats where every site is basing this on, a report from the sun newspaper!! I'm not saying it isnt true but maybe wait until something is confirmed from a proper source... the Sun, Jaysis according to them we're deffo gonna buy Martins, and Van persie is joining Man U ;)

Well, if this is true, the only good thing is that our injuries have started before the transfer window closes, so it will allow Wenger to see the true deficiencies in the squad and hopefully splash a bit of cash.

Still wont happen. We'll ge the usual "slight niggle, but its days/weeks rather than years/decades" crap.
    thorbarry wrote: »
    There were reports of this yesterday, but only from the Sun, thats where every site is basing this on, a report from the sun newspaper!! I'm not saying it isnt true but maybe wait until something is confirmed from a proper source... the Sun, Jaysis according to them we're deffo gonna buy Martins, and Van persie is joining Man U ;)

Football 365 are usually fairly reliable though. I'd say its genuine, purely because it makes perfect sense!

Football 365 are usually fairly reliable though. I'd say its genuine, purely because it makes perfect sense!

Your missing my point tho, i'm saying that they got their source from the Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Football 365 are usually fairly reliable though.

certainly not. bit like goal, they just repeat sh*te regardless of where it's come from.

according to Arseblog though, the rumour actually started on Ian Wrights talk show thing. so maybe there's some truth to it...

Nah, he'll wheel out the old 'Nasri and Rosicky will be like new signings when they come back' card.
    I wouldn't worry too much until something official emerges TBH, isn't this the same source that said Eduardo would be out for two months (only for him to play and score a goal the very next day)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

The Beebs haven't mentioned anything about Rosicky as of yet. They are the only real reliable source of concrete information IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Paleface wrote: »
    The Beebs haven't mentioned anything about Rosicky as of yet. They are the only real reliable source of concrete information IMO.

Once something is reported in the Guardian is when I usually start taking it seriously.

I really couldnt see the point in selling Senderos, he's great to have as cover / play in the CL.

Also I really can't see the point in buying Chamkah either, last thing we need is another striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    Once something is reported in the Guardian is when I usually start taking it seriously.

i used be all for the guardian, but in the past couple of seasons they've gotten lazt and started reporting all kinds of sh*te.

Galvasean wrote: »
    isn't this the same source that said Eduardo would be out for two months (only for him to play and score a goal the very next day)?

Well no, that was Wengers fault and his bad english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

And now for today's biggest shock:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5475598,00.html
    jasonorr wrote: »
    Nothing official, but it's being talked about here.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Redzer7 wrote: »

Ah I think we all kinda new that thankfully, like so many people have said before it's just lazy journalism to keep linking him to other clubs when he keeps talking about his commitment to the club http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8186333.stm

Looks like Huntellar is off to Milian not that there was ever any sort of solid evidence that we'd ever even made a move for him http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8187805.stm

Can't wait till saturday 15th we've got a hard old schedule starting off though, Everton away, the 2 ECC games, and Man U as well :) lets hope 4 wins ;)

Souless wrote: »

Can't wait till saturday 15th we've got a hard old schedule starting off though, Everton away, the 2 ECC games, and Man U as well :) lets hope 4 wins ;)
    Don't forget Man City, will be really tough to get off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bassong looks to be on his way to Spurs for £8m. Surely he would have been worth a punt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Damn, I would have loved if we got Bassong.

On the plus side, it does seem we'll be getting at least one more player going by these words from Wenger
    "We can still make do with one or two players more.

"One could be in the defensive areas, and one in the attacking areas."

however it is followed by this so we may have to wait til deadline day as always:(
    "Usually the transfer market speeds up from August 26 up to midnight on 31st - especially in the last two hours."

Redzer7 wrote: »

Didn't Know Eboue Could Do This? :rolleyes:

Yeah, must be only the easy things he ****s up on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

At this stage id settle for just another CB and welcome Wenger expressing an interest in Hangeland.

I know after just having one impressive season for Fulham it doesnt make him a top class defender but i think that the fact that he has shown he can defend well against premiership opposition and should be available for hopefully under 10m i think hes definitely a player that fits the bill for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

itsjaybud wrote: »
    should be available for hopefully under 10m.

Atleast 12 mate. Highly doubt fulham will let him go for less than that.

• Advertisement

Hangeland is cup tied for Europe now as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement