Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't think so.

Wenger will not sell one of our top players at the age of 22 unless he asks to leave

I don't mean now but, in 2 or 3 years if we get a massive offer, it could happen! It's unlikely to happen that way but, who knows what the financial situation really is really like now or what it will be like then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Off to the match tonight- flght delayed atm! 3-1 Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Some of Webngers comments from a press conference yesterday:

In todays Indo
    IT IS rare to hear Arsene Wenger swear. But the Arsenal manager chose a couple of choice expletives yesterday in an impassioned plea for his players to remain focused on the season in hand rather than the World Cup at the end of it.

"Listen, a guy who has a poor season has a poor World Cup. It is as mathematical as that," he said. "A guy who wins with his club then goes to the World Cup, has a good chance to win. Players are not afraid of you if you do f*** all the whole season."

Tonight's match could also bring only a second start of an injury-ravaged season for Theo Walcott -- and it was talk of his World Cup prospects that riled Wenger.

"For f*** sake, the World Cup is in June. Is he on holiday until June 9? You cannot be serious? He's paid by Arsenal every week to perform. And well paid.

"Why should I, today, worry for what will happen on June 9 at the World Cup? He doesn't even know if he will go to the World Cup.

"He's not played this year, it's not his fault but it's not my worry what happens at the World Cup.

"The reality in life is, 'Do your job, my friend'. That's the reality. And make sure that never anybody can say, 'you're not committed every day in your life for what you're paid for'. I don't have to tell him that, he knows that."

AW is really putting pressure on the players to perform in the coming weeks. I can't really remember any other times he has openly criticised his own players. I like to read this tbh. Hopefully it works.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Some of Webngers comments from a press conference yesterday:

In todays Indo

AW is really putting pressure on the players to perform in the coming weeks. I can't really remember any other times he has openly criticised his own players. I like to read this tbh. Hopefully it works.

I don't think he's criticising the players, just making it clear that he has more important things to worry about than the world cup and whether Walcott will be there or not.

Can anybody blame him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jasonorr wrote: »
    I don't think he's criticising the players, just making it clear that he has more important things to worry about than the world cup and whether Walcott will be there or not.

Can anybody blame him?

I'd prefer Walcott to not play in the WC as every time he goes away on international duty he seems to end up injured.

England also have this ridiculous policy of playing him for the u21's and Senior Squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Frisbee wrote: »
    England also have this ridiculous policy of playing him for the u21's and Senior Squad.

Yea it really should be one or the other

I'd prefer Walcott to not play in the WC as every time he goes away on international duty he seems to end up injured.

A lot of our injuries come from international matches and I think it's a bit of a sore point with Wenger.

Playing at both levels for England is ridiculous unless (as happened more recently) he's returning from injury and needs the practice.

Playing at both levels for England is ridiculous unless (as happened more recently) he's returning from injury and needs the practice.

I still thin k that's too much.

The last thing you want as your returning from injury is to be involved in double the amount of international matches as everyone else.

It's ridiculously unfair to expect him to play both underage and senior imo.

I still thin k that's too much.

The last thing you want as your returning from injury is to be involved in double the amount of international matches as everyone else.

It's ridiculously unfair to expect him to play both underage and senior imo.

No, you don't get me.

Last time he was coming back from injury and wasn't selected for the seniors. Wenger was more than happy for him to play for the u21s as he needed time on the pitch!

• Advertisement

Can anybody blame him?

I still think it's a dig at the players saying cop yourselves on and focus on the season straight in front of you rather than the world cup on the horizon. Arsenal have lost 2 of their 3 league matches after international breaks. I know tiredness may be a factor but Chelsea and Man U are also full of international players.

I still think it's a dig at the players saying cop yourselves on and focus on the season straight in front of you rather than the world cup on the horizon. Arsenal have lost 2 of their 3 league matches after international breaks. I know tiredness may be a factor but Chelsea and Man U are also full of international players.

Possibly but, I think "criticising" is a bit strong.

No, you don't get me.

Last time he was coming back from injury and wasn't selected for the seniors. Wenger was more than happy for him to play for the u21s as he needed time on the pitch!

Ah ok, sorry, I get ya now

Ah ok, sorry, I get ya now

Should have made myself clear.

So, turning 21 in March, is he eligible for another year?

Should have made myself clear.

So, turning 21 in March, is he eligible for another year?

I'm pretty sure James Milner able to play with the England under 21's when he was 22 because he was 21 at the start of the qualification for the tournament.
    So I'd say Walcott is eligable for another year at least

I'm pretty sure James Milner able to play with the England under 21's when he was 22 because he was 21 at the start of the qualification for the tournament.
    So I'd say Walcott is eligable for another year at least

Probably another 2 so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I heard Wenger plans to go with the trio of Vela, Eduardo and Walcott tonight. Id very much like to see that

Galvasean wrote: »
    I heard Wenger plans to go with the trio of Vela, Eduardo and Walcott tonight. Id very much like to see that

Me too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

SSH. Don't jinx it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Arsenal: Almunia - Eboue - Vermaelen - Gallas - Gibbs - Song - Denilson - Cesc - Arshavin - Vela - Nasri. tonights team, glad to see vela get a game

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

paul150 wrote: »
    Arsenal: Almunia - Eboue - Vermaelen - Gallas - Gibbs - Song - Denilson - Cesc - Arshavin - Vela - Nasri. tonights team, glad to see vela get a game

Delighted to see Vela starting although I would have liked Eduardo to start also.

• Advertisement

Damn It, game is not on Setanta ireland :mad:
    Any good streams would be appreciated :)

Damn It, game is not on Setanta ireland :mad:

What? Really? I was sure it was!

EDIT: Shafted for Baca v Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Vela starting although I would have liked Eduardo to start also.

In the wordsof my rural housemate; I wouldn't he's playing cat melodeon lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Should be good via here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Eduardo has been complete garbage this season, can't blame Wenger for dropping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Yeah Eduardo hasn't been great this season,hopefully he's one of those players who can just turn his recent form on it's head :).

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Yeah Eduardo hasn't been great this season,hopefully he's one of those players who can just turn his recent form on it's head :).

That's why I was hoping he would start so he might find some form, but you definitely can't blame Wenger for dropping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Great news here. He is one for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Through to knock out stages as Group winners :)

We can now play our laidies team in our last match.

Only worry is Gallas injury and possibly Gibbs also who went off in the last seconds of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Song really is the real deal.Love it.

• Advertisement

I totally agree. He's only 22 and is hopefully going to be a big player for Arsenal for years to come. I think he has the potential to go on and be a world class defensive midfielder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Only worry is Gallas injury and possibly Gibbs also who went off in the last seconds of the match.
    Yeah I was surprised Gibbs played - I'd have been tempted to hold him back for Sunday. Hopefully be okay though. Reckon Gallas will shake off the concussion without any major problem.

As an aside though, quite worrying that they managed to hit the post a couple of times and have a few other chances even when we were dominating possession and slipping passes around comfortably for large parts of the match. It's a clean sheet but might not have been, and it's really something we need to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Agreed.Last ten minutes the lads were thinking about Sunday.Need to stay focussed to the end.

Arsene " Gallas should be ok, Gibbs is serious, needs an x ray gone to hospital, very bad challenge, does not look good, very very doubtful for sunday, vibes from medical team are not good, Arshavin will be available for weekend, first half was good 2nd half we switched off a bit and lacked urgency in final 3rd. It was important to win today after saturday and to prepare for Chelsea match.

We have been consistent in cl over last ten years. Two competitions in cl one is a league and now a different competition i.e. a knock out competition.

Wanted to give a Vela a game tonight as he has not played much, pleased with his off the ball movement.

Sky sports reporting that Gibbs has broken a metatarsal in his left foot :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Deliberating the big boy trip now and considering heading to the hull game on the 19th by myself this time :D

Good game tonight, thought it was going to be one of those nights when the sexy football couldn't put the ball in the net

Disappointed but, not surprised. We have a lot of very small, not very tough players and so we get a lot of injuries.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Deliberating the big boy trip now and considering heading to the hull game on the 19th by myself this time :D

Good game tonight, thought it was going to be one of those nights when the sexy football couldn't put the ball in the net

Will be a great game to go to considering it is Phil Brown, sure to make for a good atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

So , Traore , Silv or Eboue at LB on sunday ?

I dispise eboue , i don't like him he is a diver and a cheat as he showed tonight with his attempt at a penalty.

I've not seen too much of traore and Silvestre is Silvestre. So it's a real cause for concern

SDTimeout wrote: »
    So , Traore , Silv or Eboue at LB on sunday ?

I dispise eboue , i don't like him he is a diver and a cheat as he showed tonight with his attempt at a penalty.

I've not seen too much of traore and Silvestre is Silvestre. So it's a real cause for concern

Not sure I'd want Eboue at LB but, you're being very harsh on the guy. He does go down easily but, he also works very hard for us.

Traore is decent cover and I'd prefer him in there than Silvestre. God forbid Silvestre ever had to cover for Gallas or Vermaelen!

I thought Traore looked good against Sunderland although I didn't see all of the match. He gets forward anyway. Just not sure how solid he is defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Another man of the match performance today. I have been one of his biggest critics on this thread, but I must put my hand up and say he has come on in leaps and bounds. His passing has improved a lot, while his technical abilities are also getting really good.
    Today for example he was immense; cleaning up every lose ball and making great strong (but fair) tackles. He has even gotten into the habit of giving away 'useful fouls' that break up opposition attacks while avoiding bookings and not giving away free kicks in dangerous positions.
    I'm actually dreading him going to the African Nations Cup as I don't think we have anyone who can do the things he does for the team.

That's a disaster on Gibbs, hopefully it will be Traore and not Silvestre at LB on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

That's a disaster on Gibbs, hopefully it will be Traore and not Silvestre at LB on Sunday
    this

• Advertisement

I'm actually dreading him going to the African Nations Cup as I don't think we have anyone who can do the things he does for the team.

I was thinking this today as well.
    It's going to be Denilson put in there, and he's not the same kind of player at all.

It shouldn't be allowed to have the African Nations the same year as the WC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Traore by a mile.

newbie2 wrote: »
    this
    Redzer7 wrote: »
    Traore by a mile.

You just never know with Arsene.

The fact Silvestre was even on the bench tonight ahead of Senderos is worrying

You just never know with Arsene.

The fact Silvestre was even on the bench tonight ahead of Senderos is worrying

Senderos is gone I reckon. No point in playing him.

Senderos is gone I reckon. No point in playing him.

Silvestre should be gone after this year too.

I'd rather Senderos over Silvestre

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement