Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Frisbee wrote: »
    You just never know with Arsene.

The fact Silvestre was even on the bench tonight ahead of Senderos is worrying

Yeah true, Senderos will most likely be sold in Jan/summer so maybe thats why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Silvestre should be gone after this year too.

I'd rather Senderos over Silvestre

Yeah but, I reckon Senderos is gone in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jasonorr wrote: »
    Yeah but, I reckon Senderos is gone in January.

Unfortunately your probably right. Which only leaves Silvestre as cover until Djourou recovers.

Then Silvestre should be done next summer, at least I hope so, he's just not up to it.

Which only leaves us with Gallas, Vermaelen and Djourou.

Gallas will be 33 at that stage so I could only imagine getting one more decent season out of him. Which means next summer one of two things will have to happen:
    • Wenger will have to purchase a replacement for Gallas in order to get him trained up for the season after and one more CB for cover

• Wenger will feel Djourou has what it takes to step up and buys two covering players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Id say Silvestre's (apparent) versatility is what gives him a bench spot ahead of Senderos, who can only play in the centre.
    Id hate to see Silvestre come up directly against the speed of Anelka. We'd be in big trouble. Traore is really fast so i'd rather it be him.

Unfortunately your probably right. Which only leaves Silvestre as cover until Djourou recovers.

Then Silvestre should be done next summer, at least I hope so, he's just not up to it.

Which only leaves us with Gallas, Vermaelen and Djourou.

Gallas will be 33 at that stage so I could only imagine getting one more decent season out of him. Which means next summer one of two things will have to happen:
    • Wenger will have to purchase a replacement for Gallas in order to get him trained up for the season after and one more CB for cover

• Wenger will feel Djourou has what it takes to step up and buys two covering players.

Come on now...you know as well as I do what's going to happen ;)

Come on now...you know as well as I do what's going to happen ;)

Nasri re-invents himself as an old fashioned tough tackling centre half?

Nasri re-invents himself as an old fashioned tough tackling centre half?

Freezing.

I give up, what?

I give up, what?

Djourou is the man and somebody like Nordveit gets promoted to back up.

I'd be very surprised (and delighted) to see us sign another cb.

That Harvard Nortveidt fella lives up to his Football manager potential?
    Tony Adams comes out of retirement?
    Wenger takes to the field himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Kyle Bartley steps it up, and they sign me again except this time as a centre back ;):).

Completely forgot about Nordveit.

A Vermaelen + Gallas/Djourou partnership would work with Nordveit as backup.

I couldn't see Gallas being happy with being involved in rotation though, he's probably look to leave, in which case we'd definitely need a new CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Arshavin will get converted to a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Might work, he's not too bad at the goal line clearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I'd play Sagna at left full and keep Eboue at right full.

I just hope someone cripples Essien either tonight or early Sunday because outside of Song our midfield is so lightweight it's untrue.

Only hope we can hold onto the ball. I'd also play Walcott as Cole is still out, isn't he?

Sagna RB and Traore LB imo

Who is the best bet to partner Cesc in the middle. We have no-one really except Song who can put his weight about. Think I'd prefer Rosicky in there, yes him and Cesc would make for a very lightweight midfield, but they'd keep ball very well.

Can't believe I'm wishing Diaby was fit...

Can't believe I'm wishing Diaby was fit...

Sure Wenger would just play him on the wing anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Sagna RB and Traore LB imo
    With a bit of luck. Wenger hasn't really used Silvestre much this year so I'm hoping he's further down the pecking order than he was last year. Given the fact that we're at home as well, I think we're more likely to see Traore than if we were at the Bridge.

As for midfield, I'd go with Song, Cesc and then one of Nasri/Rosicky. Probably Rosicky, given that he should be fresher. Though I think that people underestimate Denilson - sure he's small but he tackles and intercepts very well.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Though I think that people underestimate Denilson - sure he's small but he tackles and intercepts very well.

Denilson's only coming back from a month and a half out though, don't think this Chelsea game is the kind of game for him to go into..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I'd love to see us sign another cb as well but doubt it will happen. Everyone is forgetting Senderos when they're talking about Silvestre, now don't get me wrong Senderos is hardly a world class player but I'd play him over Silvestre any day of the week!

I'd say it'll be Traore at Lb and Sagna at Rb for the Chelsea match.

Souless wrote: »
    I'd love to see us sign another cb as well but doubt it will happen. Everyone is forgetting Senderos when they're talking about Silvestre, now don't get me wrong Senderos is hardly a world class player but I'd play him over Silvestre any day of the week!

I'd say it'll be Traore at Lb and Sagna at Rb for the Chelsea match.

We're not forgetting him, we just doubt he'll be with us after January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Was at match last night, good seats, great view!

Id say the team will be:

Almunia

Sagna----Vermaelen---Gallas----Traore
    Song
    Nasri
    Fabregas
    Arshavin
    Rosicky
    Eduardo

Not bad, but a bit light for Chelsea's combative style of play.
    Hope Eduardo has found his shooting boots. While his skills (passing, off teh ball etc.) have improved greatly since his return, his finishing has been suspect so far this season.

Also, Arsenal.com reports Song has signed a new long term contract :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Denilson's only coming back from a month and a half out though, don't think this Chelsea game is the kind of game for him to go into..
    True enough - I was more talking in general terms though... he's not a big physical presence but he does get involved physically. But you might be right about not playing him twice in a week straight away.

Galvasean's team is probably about right really.

Galvasean wrote: »

Boom!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Gallas to miss Chelsea Clash
    :rolleyes:

actual quote - "it is badly swollen(his eye) but i am optimistic because we have three days".

fingers crossed he'll ice it to f ck

Really hope Gallas plays against Chelsea. He usually plays really well against them.

I was thinking, with Song going away to Africa for the Cup, how would people feel about snapping up Patrick Vieira as cover?

Tabloids are linking us with Ruud Van Nistelrooy for some reason.

I was thinking, with Song going away to Africa for the Cup, how would people feel about snapping up Patrick Vieira as cover?

No, he was a legend at Arsenal, I could only imagine him coming back and ruining that image, don't think he'd be up to the premier league these days...

I see him as a potential signing, since we need cover for Song and I don't think anyone we currently have is up to the task of filling that role. Plus I don't see Wenger spending much on players in January.
    Maybe get Vieira in as a back up player and offer him a coaching role too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Id say the team will be:

Almunia

Song
    Nasri
    Fabregas
    Arshavin
    Rosicky
    Eduardo

Hope Eduardo has found his shooting boots. While his skills (passing, off teh ball etc.) have improved greatly since his return, his finishing has been suspect so far this season.

We're always going to be a bit light for Chelsea's style of play.

We can deny them the ball for long periods though. Hopefully we can do enough with it to bag a few of goals because there's no way in hell we're keeping a clean sheet for this one.

Maybe Arshavin will have one of his big game blinders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

gosplan wrote: »

Maybe Arshavin will have one of his big game blinders?

We can hope this is the game for him then

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Id say the team will be:

Almunia

Song
    Nasri
    Fabregas
    Arshavin
    Rosicky
    Eduardo

That team is well capable of making sure Chelsea won't see much of the ball. The combative style will only get them so far, when Barca played them last year they were chasing shadows, and scored with a wonder goal from Essien. The key will be whether you can break down the defense or not, Barca had alot of trouble with that, but I don't think Arsenal will. You're well used to bruising midfielders/ defenders. I don't think you'll win, but I don't think your midfield will be as dominated as everyone seems to think, Cesc is the BPITW atm.

Reckon 2-2, goals from Anelka, Ballack, Rosicky and Fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Something brought up on Fans Forum on Arsenal tv tonight was possibly playing Eboue at RB and Sagna at LB.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I might get shot down but I thought Eboue was great the other night,and Sagna can probably play on either side...so give it a go. Who would Sagna be going up against? Anelka? I reckon Bac could manage that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

eZe^ wrote: »
    You're well used to bruising midfielders/ defenders. I don't think you'll win, but I don't think your midfield will be as dominated as everyone seems to think

When Arsenal click on their day, not many can live with them but to suggest they are used to combative games is somewhat false as they are well known for not showing up for games when they can't play to their advantage.Am hoping for a 1.0 Arsenal win but realisticaly can see an emphatic Chelsea win if Arsenal don't turn up for the physical.

;)

OPENROAD wrote: »

A: Thats from the mirror

B: If only *someone who refuses to play for ROI" could read that and understand.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    A: Thats from the mirror

B: If only *someone who refuses to play for ROI" could read that and understand.

re B, I wish Arshavin would be more like that certain someone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8384025.stm

more bad news on the old injury front seems Van Persie's gonna have to get surgery and will be out for around 5 months :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ugh. Might see Chamakh bought in January now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Don't see how any one can lambast RVP here for being injury prone. Ruptured Ligaments as opposed to a tweak in his bolloxed hamstring.

Looking forward tomorrow, Paddypower and arsenal offered a 16/1 cesc first goal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

5 month lay off for Van Persie. A little bit more than 6 weeks there Arsene. Aw well See ya next season Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

shano_88 wrote: »
    5 month lay off for Van Persie. A little bit more than 6 weeks there Arsene. Aw well See ya next season Van Persie.

he'll be back just in time to play for the dutch in the world cup :rolleyes:

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

he'll be back just in time to get injured playing for the dutch in the world cup :rolleyes:
    FYP:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Dzeko in Janurary please AW. A big presence as the focal point of the attack. That is if AW harbours ambitions of us being able to compete and win this season - we simply have to buy someone in January now we're without RVP for the season.

Time for Eduardo to step up big time

Ugh. Might see Chamakh bought in January now.

Apparently his contract is nearly up so he will be available at cut price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Apparently his contract is nearly up so he will be available at cut price.

Be cup tied for Europe though!!!

Quality signing nonetheless and with Wenger guiding him, he will go far with us.

Buying another striker isn't the answer.

We have Eduardo and Vela to do us a job atm and Bendtner to come back in a few weeks.

Buy another striker and next year we have:

RVP, Eduardo, Bendtner, Vela and AN Other all fighting for one starting spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Buying another striker isn't the answer.

We have Eduardo and Vela to do us a job atm and Bendtner to come back in a few weeks.

Buy another striker and next year we have:

RVP, Eduardo, Bendtner, Vela and AN Other all fighting for one starting spot.

Not really, I dont think Eduardo and Vela are ever going to as effective up front on there own. They can both play on the wing as can Bendtner. I really think we need a striker in January now that RVP is out for the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement