Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jasonorr wrote: »
    Ah, the stick your ársé out dance? That can be learned surely???

Look at how he pops those hips, that can't be taught. That's instinctive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Frisbee wrote: »
    That's instinctive.
    Ah now that's a bit just racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Haha just kidding, but really, I can't wait until we lose 5 more games in the league!!

DEFEAT AT STOKE HERE WE COME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

What did yous think of Watt? Electrifying performance all around.

Gets coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rizzee wrote: »
    What did yous think of Watt? Electrifying performance all around.

Gets coat

Haven't seen much of him and didn't get to watch the match today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Haven't seen much of him and didn't get to watch the match today.

Lucky. It was pretty poor imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Only back after a night out. Just read the report of the game. Not happy!!! :( :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This was one game too much for the kids but ironically Rosicky, the most experienced perhaps, was the worst player on the pitch. Played centrally, looked waaaay off the pace. Eboue was Arsenals best player and no disrespect but that says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Ush1 wrote: »
    This was one game too much for the kids but ironically Rosicky, the most experienced perhaps, was the worst player on the pitch. Played centrally, looked waaaay off the pace. Eboue was Arsenals best player and no disrespect but that says it all really.

Only caught a replay of the match today as was in work for it yesterday. Rosicky did look like the worst player on the pitch constantly gave away the ball it was infuriating :mad: Eboue probably was the best player as well.

Over all we didn't play well but I dunno if the 3-0 score line reflects the game itself we'd most of the posession but couldn't score with it, thought Ramsey had a bad game as well had plenty of chances to get something on target. I thought Vela looked lively though and if he'd got a bit better support then I'd be playing him infront of Eddie at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Lads, Eboue was far from Arsenal's best player - he gave away some shocking ball passing out of defence and gave Bellamy loads of room all night. He drove forward well but put us under lots of pressure at the back.
    In_tuition wrote: »
    No doubt others will disagree with some if not all my thoughts, but that's exactly what they are, my personal thoughts on the current state of things.
    Bit OTT if you ask me - I don't think you'd have been dissing Sagna (who didn't even play last night) if the last few games had gone better. Long-term, I think he's fantastic for us. Especially at £6m.

The problem last night was that we lost loads of ball in midfield by being hassled (not even that physically sometimes, just quicker than Eastmond, Rosicky, Ramsey, Merida and Wilshere were prepared for). Rather than responding by upping the pace of our passing and movement, they stayed at the same pace all night which isn't good enough.

Only Vela and (yes, I'm going to say it) Silvestre* looked hungry (plus Wilshere and Rosicky at times, though it was more narkiness for them I think).

* showing SWP onto his good side for the second goal baffled me though - reminded me of Dixon v Giggs in '99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Souless wrote: »
    Over all we didn't play well but I dunno if the 3-0 score line reflects the game itself we'd most of the posession but couldn't score with it

this can't keep being the excuse.

teams set themselves up to contain arsenal, out work them, pressurise them and out muscle them, then spring counter attacks.

teams never mind letting arsenal have possession.

wenger also needs to stop peddling this myth that just because you have more possession, this means you have controlled the game. it's nonsense. you had the vast majority of possession against chelsea for example, but nobody in their right mind would claim you deserved anything.

city executed the gameplan perfectly last night, and were worth their win.

In_tuition wrote: »
    I know we scored the same amount at the end of season but consider the amount of possession we have in the final 3rd each week, we should be looking at an extra 10-15 goals and goals win games and those wins means extra points.
    On this point, I think your logic is flawed. Yes, we could start trying to score more goals from crosses but that'd mean that we score less by playing through balls or whatever because the ball's gone wide instead. Plus Villa's 24 goals or whatever would have come from probably 100+ attempted crosses.

So you can't just say that we'd score all our 'normal' goals plus 10 or 15 - to add on goals, you either improve your chance conversion rates or up the amount of chances you get. Focusing on crossing the ball more doesn't do either.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Lads, Eboue was far from Arsenal's best player - he gave away some shocking ball passing out of defence and gave Bellamy loads of room all night. He drove forward well but put us under lots of pressure at the back.

Bit OTT if you ask me - I don't think you'd have been dissing Sagna (who didn't even play last night) if the last few games had gone better. Long-term, I think he's fantastic for us. Especially at £6m.

The problem last night was that we lost loads of ball in midfield by being hassled (not even that physically sometimes, just quicker than Eastmond, Rosicky, Ramsey, Merida and Wilshere were prepared for). Rather than responding by upping the pace of our passing and movement, they stayed at the same pace all night which isn't good enough.

Only Vela and (yes, I'm going to say it) Silvestre* looked hungry (plus Wilshere and Rosicky at times, though it was more narkiness for them I think).

* showing SWP onto his good side for the second goal baffled me though - reminded me of Dixon v Giggs in '99.

Who was better than Eboue positively? I couldn't see anyone, Vela looked lively but apart from that. Song was waaay too slow aswell and sorry Silvestre for Wright-Phillips goal was shocking. He moved the ball twice and Silvestre was nowhere near him to get a block on. If that's him hungry, I'd hate to see him laid back.

SlickRic wrote: »

teams set themselves up to contain arsenal, out work them, pressurise them and out muscle them, then spring counter attacks.

teams never mind letting arsenal have possession.

wenger also needs to stop peddling this myth that just because you have more possession, this means you have controlled the game. it's nonsense. you had the vast majority of possession against chelsea for example, but nobody in their right mind would claim you deserved anything.

Totally agree and Wenger showed a real lack of class not shaking hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A bit of perspective lads.

We played one first team player last night and went out to a very expensively assembled team.

Chelsea tried resting players and also conceeded 3 ... to Blackburn.

Yes, Arsenal have problems but I don't think this match is indicitave of them.

Who was better than Eboue positively? I couldn't see anyone, Vela looked lively but apart from that.
    Eboue was playing right back. His primary job was to cut down City's chances and instead, he consistently put our goal at risk. Therefore not the team's best player (you never said "positively" before). He was alright going forward but still put in some pants crosses, making zero effort to actually pick anyone out. Overall (not just offensively), I'd rate Vela, Fabianski, Merida and Wilshere ahead of him. At least the last two kept the ball semi-decently.

As for Silvestre, City would undoubtedly have scored more without him there - he made some excellent tackles/interceptions. He made some howlers too (and I already mentioned the SWP goal specifically) but my point was that at least he looked like he gave a sh*t (not that he was brilliant).

Eboue was playing right back. His primary job was to cut down City's chances and instead, he consistently put our goal at risk. Therefore not the team's best player (you never said "positively" before). He was alright going forward but still put in some pants crosses, making zero effort to actually pick anyone out. Overall (not just offensively), I'd rate Vela, Fabianski, Merida and Wilshere ahead of him. At least the last two kept the ball semi-decently.

As for Silvestre, City would undoubtedly have scored more without him there - he made some excellent tackles/interceptions. He made some howlers too (and I already mentioned the SWP goal specifically) but my point was that at least he looked like he gave a sh*t (not that he was brilliant).

Fair enough but costing a goal is the biggest mess up you can make, despite any other good play. And I thought Merida looked lively in the opening 20 or so, but then went to ground and moaned alot and also got his pocket picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

On this point, I think your logic is flawed. Yes, we could start trying to score more goals from crosses but that'd mean that we score less by playing through balls or whatever because the ball's gone wide instead. Plus Villa's 24 goals or whatever would have come from probably 100+ attempted crosses.

So you can't just say that we'd score all our 'normal' goals plus 10 or 15 - to add on goals, you either improve your chance conversion rates or up the amount of chances you get. Focusing on crossing the ball more doesn't do either.

I disagree and find you are incorrect in what you say.

I don't disagree with you don't get me wrong we could of had 80% possesion but with out a goal it doesn't mean a thing ;)

As for me defending the fact that I said Eboue was one of the best players on the field last night I do understand that when he went forward he left us overly exposed but when it comes to Arsenal and fullbacks recently who doesn't leave us exposed on a regular basis? I'm not saying I agree with the tactic but it's they way they play.

As for Eboue being better than Sagna in the long run I'd have to disagree Sagna has had a few poor games with us lately particularly against Chelsea but who had a good game against Chelsea? I mean i was very pissed off that we lost 3-0 but it can't all be Sagna's fault.

Lets just hope that we steady the boat against Stoke on the weekend...a nice 7-0 or something lol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Vela start on Saturday.

Eduardo may be a better player but at least Vela looks interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'd like to see Vela start too. One person who wont start is Theo, who's injured again unsurprisingly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

keano_afc wrote: »
    . One person who wont start is Theo, who's injured again unsurprisingly :rolleyes:

This is starting to happen too regularly with him, starting to worry he will be plagued with injuries.

Anyone else think we might sign Thierry on loan for the rest of the season as replacement for RVP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Anyone else think we might sign Thierry on loan for the rest of the season as replacement for RVP?

Ha, it crossed my mind. Don't think he'd play particularly well in RVP's current role. Wenger also has more sense than to bring him back purely to please the (non Irish) fans, ala Benitez/Fowler.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

That would be my Christmas present :), I can only hope.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    That would be my Christmas present :), I can only hope.

I think he could do a job for us, it will be hard to buy players in January, a loan deal for him might be the solution, will be very interested to see what happens in January, I would hope that Arsene realises we need to replace RVP.

Would love to see him back.

I dunno if it has been regular form or what and I did hear it on Sky Sports news but hasn't he found his form again with Barcelona anyway? I know he got a goal the other night for them against I think it was Xerez. If that's the case then definatly not but either way I can't see him being signed not that I'd mind to see him back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Personally I'd hate to see him come back. He left a legend and I think if he came back all he'd do is tarnish that. As much as I love him I like to think of him how he was.

He's lost his pace and presence in important games. I don't want to see him fo that in an Arsensl Jersey. I want all my Henry memories at Arsenal to be successful ones of him ripping defences apart and threading a mazy run through the spuds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Id absolutely love to see him back and I really think he'd do a job for us. Cant see Wenger bringing him back though, It would be seen as going backwards and we know how stubborn Arsene is also what kind of a signal is it sending to Eduardo, Vela, Bendyboots etc.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Personally I'd hate to see him come back. He left a legend and I think if he came back all he'd do is tarnish that. As much as I love him I like to think of him how he was.

He's lost his pace and presence in important games. I don't want to see him fo that in an Arsensl Jersey. I want all my Henry memories at Arsenal to be successful ones of him ripping defences apart and threading a mazy run through the spuds.

This, Henry is an Arsenal legend in my eyes, don't want him to ruin that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

henry would be taking a step backwards.

adeboyar on the other hand....
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So then, Gignac, Dzeko, Balotelli, Pazzini - what do you guys think are the likelihood of any of those coming to fruition? Was reading on Goal.com that Gignac will be out of our price range - £12m. Surely we can afford that? :eek: Out of those 4 I'd happily take Dzeko pls

So then, Gignac, Dzeko, Balotelli, Pazzini - what do you guys think are the likelihood of any of those coming to fruition? Was reading on Goal.com that Gignac will be out of our price range - £12m. Surely we can afford that? :eek: Out of those 4 I'd happily take Dzeko pls

I'd be surprised if we signed any of those but, I would be very interested in Gignac at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Out of those 4 I'd happily take Dzeko pls

his club rejected £22m last summer from AC Milan.

his stock has only risen since then.

you've no chance unless you have an absolute minimum of £25m hanging around.

I'd be surprised if we signed any of those but, I would be very interested in Gignac at that price.

I'd be very suprised if you got him for that price.

Lyon tried with over 15m euro in the summer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=660472&cc=5739

his club rejected £22m last summer from AC Milan.

his stock has only risen since then.

you've no chance unless you have an absolute minimum of £25m hanging around.

There's no way we're going to spend anywhere near that amount of money on one player.
    I'd be very suprised if you got him for that price.

Lyon tried with over 15m euro in the summer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=660472&cc=5739

£12m is ~€13.3m, if anyone can do it, Wenger can. I'm not sure how big the rivalry is between Toulouse and Lyon but, that might be a big part of why they didn't want to sell to them.

There's no way we're going to spend anywhere near that amount of money on one player.

£12m is ~€13.3m, if anyone can do it, Wenger can. I'm not sure how big the rivalry is between Toulouse and Lyon but, that might be a big part of why they didn't want to sell to them.

There is no rivalry and he stated many times he wanted to go to Lyon. Since then he's an international starter for France, price would only go up.

Any of the players mentioned would be beyond our price range.

If we are going to buy in January he needs to find another Adebayor, someone dirt cheap who will do a job.

I'm still not convinced we need to buy in January though

Frisbee wrote: »
    Any of the players mentioned would be beyond our price range.

If we are going to buy in January he needs to find another Adebayor, someone dirt cheap who will do a job.

I'm still not convinced we need to buy in January though

We do, he's not going to change the formation and even when/if Bendtner does come back we don't have any cover for him in that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

I agree he will certainly have to buy as only bendnter can play there, don't think that position would really suit van nistelrooy or henry really, could see gignac or chamakh being most likely. Please tell me gignac is not as bad as he looked against Ireland??

Also Gattuso is leaving milan in January apparently,(milan saying today he can leave) hed be excellent for us, cover for song in jan, competition for him and old enuf that it wouldnt ruin him or denilsons development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Please tell me gignac is not as bad as he looked against Ireland??

Ah to be fair to him the piebald got loose at home, his mind wasn't on the game. :pac:

Arsenal tv online is free tonight if anyone wants to watch the phone in.

Just go to www.arsenal.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I would like to see arsenal strenghten goal defence and midfield before going for more attacking players.

hugo lloris (Lyon) in nets - 10 mil
    Gregory Van der weil (ajax) to bolster defence for 10 mil
    jaoa mountino of sporting for 12-15 mil

sell off almunia, senderos, silvestre, one of diaby or song,

would do nicely for me.

eguardo, nasri, denilson will all become a lot stronger with games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I would like to see arsenal strenghten goal defence and midfield before going for more attacking players.

would do nicely for me.

no way would i let Song go atm if I was in charge nor would i believe that LLoris will only cost 10m from Lyon despite GKs generally going for less than top outfield players

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

would do nicely for me.

I don't believe you have been watching Arsenal this year...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... and signing another central midfield playmaker midget like Moutinho will really solve all our problems...

Not to mention you'd only get a few locks of Hugo Lloris' hair for 10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

We can't change the formation because that undoes all the good work the midfield has put in this season. While it would solve the Eduardo Vela thing in a 4-4-2. I think bendtner will shine when he comes back. We just need a cover until then

However if we are signing a Striker in Jan, Mirko Vucinic please :)

Agreed on Lloris. Big fan of him admittedly from the Pro evo days when we played for 2 euro to go to the shop. Followed him since then.

We need a defender as cover, not one to dislodge gallas, and personally i cannot see a defender ( the type every one claims we need, eg hangeland ) coming in and willing to play second fiddle. It all depends on how many seasons gallas has left in him. I think one more after this personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No sign of Eduardo today. Wenger will no doubt say he's injured, even if he's not.

Almunia
    Sagna
    Gallas
    Vermaelen---Traore
    Denilson

Nasri
    Fabregas
    ---Eboue
    Rosicky--
    Arshavin

Subs: Fabianski, Senderos, Vela, Ramsey, Silvestre, Wilshere, Merida

This discussion has been closed.