Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I wouldn't want Pavyluchenko anywhere near the squad.

In fact him living in North London alone is too close for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sútalún wrote: »
    I don't believe you have been watching Arsenal this year...
    I certainly have, we have scored 38 goals, more then anyone else, but our defence has looked dodgy at times. Letting in 18 compared to united(13) and chelsea(10), shows that in my humble opinion, we need to focus on defensive areas. losing van persie is a blow, less so rosicky because we could never depend on him, But I think we have enough firepower in Eduardo, bendtner, Vela, Fab, Nasri, Arshavin and walcott if we can keep them fit. I have always felt that there has not been a central midfielder who has really stepped upto the plate to support fabregas, denilson is better all round then diaby and song and is curerently top choice, but I would like a bit more battling toughness in there. Also, I cant watch a game where I feel I would put my house on gallas and almunia to be inpenitrable, we are weak on setpieces. I would love to see a new keeper and an up and coming centre half to really create competition in those areas.

For me, transfer focus should prioritise defensive strenght this time around.

Sorry but, I have to agree with Sútalún here. Song has been amazing this season and has all the qualities that you say we lack in a partner for Cesc. Saying that Denilson is top choice is just wrong too, definitely Song for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

gosplan wrote: »
    TBH lads, there isn't really any merit in discussing who the papers decide we're 'linked' with this week.

The only time I can ever remember anyone actually calling it correctly was with Arshavin.

Ade was known about long before the transfer went through (see here and here). I saw Vermaelen being mentioned long before Arsene admitted interest. Same with Nasri. Eduardo too was mooted in a few places irrc... The papers to be fair do report most deals long before they are done. But for everyone one of them they report another 10 they'ved plucked out of their ass in order to fill the back pages.

edit: i even found a Sagna link from a month before he was signed.

at the end of the day it's a bit of fun though, i'd hazard we'll have another 40 names to add to that list before the window is over. We could evens tart a little pool or something on who get's predicts the correct one :D
    jasonorr wrote: »
    Sorry but, I have to agree with Sútalún here. Song has been amazing this season and has all the qualities that you say we lack in a partner for Cesc. Saying that Denilson is top choice is just wrong too, definitely Song for me.

Vicenzo is right though. Statistically speaking we have no problem scoring goals, even if van Persie is out. Our vulnerability against Chelsea was not our inability to score, but our inability to prevent and then deal with their crosses. I'm beginning to think a bit of competition for the right back spot at least could be a bonus, for the past season or so our fullbacks have been looking very weak, and if we can get someone with a bit more aerial presence for CB then it'll be another bonus.

Vicenzo is right though. Statistically speaking we have no problem scoring goals, even if van Persie is out. Our vulnerability against Chelsea was not our inability to score, but our inability to prevent and then deal with their crosses. I'm beginning to think a bit of competition for the right back spot at least could be a bonus, for the past season or so our fullbacks have been looking very weak, and if we can get someone with a bit more aerial presence for CB then it'll be another bonus.

I'm not really sure why you're directing that comment at me. I never said anything about our strikers or cb's, my only issue was that he wanted rid of Song, who has been far and away, our most improved player this year and is a very capable partner for Cesc.

We'll rarely struggle to score against the lower teams but, sometimes we (naturally enough) find it very tough against the bigger teams, while their attacks seem much more capable of slicing us open. I think our first choice back 4 (individually) is great but, as a collective unit, they need time to gel. We could do with signing another solid cb with a view to (eventually) replacing Gallas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm not really sure why you're directing that comment at me. I never said anything about our strikers or cb's, my only issue was that he wanted rid of Song, who has been far and away, our most improved player this year and is a very capable partner for Cesc.

Sorry, I completely misread your response to his post. I agree, criticising Song is daft, he's been the brightest point of the season so far.
    We'll rarely struggle to score against the lower teams but, sometimes we (naturally enough) find it very tough against the bigger teams, while their attacks seem much more capable of slicing us open. I think our first choice back 4 (individually) is great but, as a collective unit, they need time to gel. We could do with signing another solid cb with a view to (eventually) replacing Gallas.

We have conceded far too many goals in the 3 'big matches' this year so far. 4 against Citeh (I forgot it was that high :eek:), 2 against United and 3 against Chelsea. That's an absolutely shocking defensive record tbh. They aren't half as solid as people think.

(edit: I know City normally wouldn't be included as a big match, but it was a grudge match hyped up to the gills because of Ade and Kolo's move so I'm including it as there was a lot of media coverage and pressure placed on both sides)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

you say you agree with Sútalún on this, but his only bit of constructive comment(?) was that i have not watched arsenal this year.

Anyway, I never singled out song, I simply said that denilson seems to be top choice to partner fabregas. I do think song is a much improved played, but we need to have some real top experienced players in the team. It has been the main weakness over the last couple of seasons. No-one can say for sure which ones will play each week from diaby song or denilson, that is because none of them has done enough to make the place their own. At some point, if we want to be competative for winning trophies, we have to expect one of these players to stamp their authority and make themselves undropable. If they dont have it in their locker to do that now, we need to buy a quality experienced international standerd player that can. these players are all still young and will develope, and will be great for competition in the team, but which one will be the long term answer? that question needs to be answered this year in my opinion.

Also, in defence, senderos and silvestre just are not good enough, we need real competition for first team spots and not just the young guys waiting in the wings. I would love to see gallas put under pressure for his spot, but at the minute we have nobody that will ever do that.

No-one can say for sure which ones will play each week from diaby song or denilson, that is because none of them has done enough to make the place their own. At some point, if we want to be competative for winning trophies, we have to expect one of these players to stamp their authority and make themselves undropable.needs to be answered this year in my opinion.

Song is undroppable at the moment.

Himself, Fab and RVP have been our three most important players this year by a mile.

This season the question isn't which two should partner Fabregas.

It's who should partner Fab and Song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone think that if we had out and out wingers playing in the current Wenger system we'd be tearing teams apart? Off the bat having Ashley Young and Aaron Lennon (just examples) attacking the wings with Arshavin playing AM behind RVP and having Song and Fabregas in the middle might be a pretty potent version of our current attack? It'd rein in Sagna and Clichy a bit more as they wouldn't be needing to overlap in theory. Which you'd hope would give us a more solid defence.

It's all wishful thinking on my part but I remember Chelsea destoying teams with a not too dis-similar set up - Duff and Robben as the wingers.

I'd agree with some of the sentiments here that we need to buy a CB if anything in January. I know I was vocal for us signing Edin Dzeko but I do think we'll be able to manage on the attacking front. A CB and Hugo Lloris would be nice I think. As was mentioned earlier in this thread Lloris would effectively solve the GK position for the next 10-15 years in theory. A max of €2million a year if we were to do the maths on his likely cost.

Rosicky is finished too in my opinion. I can't see him ever getting back to form and tbh I wouldn't be sad to see him go in the summer. Eduardo I'd echo somewhat the same opinion but I'll give him a chance until the summer. He's possibly someone that could turn it around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ade was known about long before the transfer went through (see here and here). I saw Vermaelen being mentioned long before Arsene admitted interest. Same with Nasri. Eduardo too was mooted in a few places irrc... The papers to be fair do report most deals long before they are done. But for everyone one of them they report another 10 they'ved plucked out of their ass in order to fill the back pages.

edit: i even found a Sagna link from a month before he was signed.

Well, throw enough sh1t at a wall and some of it's bound to stick. You're right though, a lot of our transfers are suggested beforehand shortly beforehand but given the sheer number of players we're linked with between each transfer window, I find it's pointless to go into them. Plus we're linked with all these strikers that are out of our price range or cup tied.

+1 on the centre half and keeper thing. Some more terrible stuff from Almunia early on in the Stoke game.

I'm slowly re-appraising him. He's gone from being 'OK' at the start of the year to being 'probably not good enough for Arsenal' to actually being 'a bad goalie'.

• Advertisement

These rumours that Wenger is interested in Bojan are odd.

While I still don't think we need to sign another striker, we probably will, and I don't think the money is there to purchase any of the names mentioned already, @ 8 million he certainly would be affordable but I don't think he would be the answer.

I certainly think he is a great prospect but I don't think we need another one of those. A loan till the end of the season with an option to buy after that (what's currently being touted) would be a good result for both sides. Could be a waste of 8 million signing him if he can't adapt to PL life. We've already had enough experiences with mentally fragile Spaniards imo.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/07/football-transfer-rumours-steven-defour-manchester-united
    Wenger has also lined up the unsettled Barcelona striker Bojan Krkic in his crosshairs, with a view to bringing the youngest player ever to score for Barcelona (17 years and 51 days, since you asked so nicely) in as cover for the injured striker Robin van Persie. Krkic's ability is not in question, but his temperament is: the teenager occasionally suffers from anxiety attacks and missed out on a European Championship medal in 2008 after asking to be left out of the Spain squad on the grounds that he was "physically and emotionally shattered". Now 19, he is believed to want a move away from Camp Nou having slipped down the pecking ord ... well, having failed to move up the pecking order in the past two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bojan? No thanks. Another young striker with potential who's very small and could be easily outmuscled like the rest of the Arsenal squad. Not what is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jaysus imagine a front line of him and Arsh, midget central! Just need to bring in Messi as well to make the line up complete:pac:

Master plan; buy Bojan and then go in for Zigic from Valencia. :D

cson wrote: »
    Master plan; buy Bojan and then go in for Zigic from Valencia. :D

Forget Zigic...
    playa3 wrote: »
    Jaysus imagine a front line of him and Arsh, midget central! Just need to bring in Messi as well to make the line up complete:pac:

:D

No buy Zigic too - imagine the fun of watching all the little midgets running around the giant. Zigic up front, Arshavin in the hole, Messi on the left and Bojan on the right. It'd be one of the funniest looking attacking line ups to ever take the field. :D

• Advertisement

Bring in Cannavaro aswell, for corners like...

Landreau would solve our goalkeeper problem. :p

Very young squad being sent to Greece tomorrow. Lots of first teamers being rested. Good to hear.

Walcott's going though, he'll most likely come back injured.

Walcott's going though, he'll most likely come back injured.

He'll probably injure himself getting off the plane.

Looking forward to seeing Ramsey playing again. Should get the whole match

I'd like to see:

Fabianski

Gilbert
    Silvestre
    Song
    Bartley

Wilshere
    Coquelin----Ramsey

Walcott
    Vela
    Merida

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

It'd be one of the funniest looking attacking line ups to ever take the field. :D
    This has to be the best 'little and large' moment we've ever had though...

Young Guns is reporting that Bartley will play CB with Cruise at LB, which'd be a super young side. I'd like Theo to get some game time and I'd like to see Vela start with the promise of a start against the 'Pool on Sunday if he puts in a good 60/70 minutes. Can't really get myself all that excited about the fact that Alex Song's gone over there though, presumably to play - I know he missed the weekend match but I'll cry if he gets injured or sent off.

• Advertisement

Well if Bartley and Cruise both play there will be no need for Song to play, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Don't think song is that good at CB even though that was his original position.

What does everyone think about the possibility of Wilshere going on loan?

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Don't think song is that good at CB even though that was his original position.

What does everyone think about the possibility of Wilshere going on loan?

Probably needs to happen since he isn't getting many games but, as Wenger already said, it only makes sense if he leaves for the purpose of actually playing somewhere else!

Even apart from playing though, it has to be someplace he won't just be kicked around. I know he's tough, and I know we don't want to be developing him as a lightweight moaner, but I'd be worried about sending him to the Championship.

He's nowhere near as strong as Simpson/Lansbury...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'd agree with some of the sentiments here that we need to buy a CB if anything in January. I know I was vocal for us signing Edin Dzeko but I do think we'll be able to manage on the attacking front. A CB and Hugo Lloris would be nice I think. As was mentioned earlier in this thread Lloris would effectively solve the GK position for the next 10-15 years in theory. A max of €2million a year if we were to do the maths on his likely cost.

Rosicky is finished too in my opinion. I can't see him ever getting back to form and tbh I wouldn't be sad to see him go in the summer. Eduardo I'd echo somewhat the same opinion but I'll give him a chance until the summer. He's possibly someone that could turn it around.
    Couldnt agree more. LLoris could be a great signing. We definetly need defensive re-inforcement a lot more than another striker. Rosicky is definetly on his way out in the summer. If Eduardo gets a run of injury free games he may stay but tbh i wouldnt bet on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lloris was bought for 8.5 million in 2008 and his price has only gone up. He's the best keeper in France and already a hero at the Stade Gerland. He could have went to AC Milan also, can't see him going to Arsenal.

gun__1260278524_510.jpg

The Future of Football adore.gifadore.gifadore.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Even apart from playing though, it has to be someplace he won't just be kicked around. I know he's tough, and I know we don't want to be developing him as a lightweight moaner, but I'd be worried about sending him to the Championship.

He's nowhere near as strong as Simpson/Lansbury...

Yeah I know that Celtic and Mowbray are very keen but I think Wenger might be a bit concerned that he could get a bit 'roughed up' in the SPL, personally I think it would be a good move for im and he would really flourish up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Yeah I know that Celtic and Mowbray are very keen but I think Wenger might be a bit concerned that he could get a bit 'roughed up' in the SPL, personally I think it would be a good move for im and he would really flourish up there

What he needs is regular football, and a bit of roughing up would be no harm at all. Celtic would be great for him if he could get in their first 11..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Celtic would be great for him if he could get in their first 11..

Trust me that would not be a problem, especially with Maloney and Brown out injured, the midfield trio at the moment are Nguemo, Robson and Crosas and I certainly dont think he would have a problem displacing one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

What he needs is regular football, and a bit of roughing up would be no harm at all. Celtic would be great for him if he could get in their first 11..
    Think it would be a good move for him. Oddly enough Ive just started an arsenal game on FM and celtic offer to loan wilshere for the season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Oddly enough Ive just started an arsenal game on FM and celtic offer to loan wilshere for the season...

In that case can you keep us posted on how he does so we can compare :)

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

I'd like to see him go to West Brom or Newcastle.

Both high level Championship sides and if he can help them to promotion it will only do wonders for his confidence (although he seems a pretty confident guy)

Although I'm not sure how mych game time he'd get at either of them, he'd certainly get more at Celtic.

Which I guess is a sad reflection of how poor Scottish football has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wherever he goes, we can be sure of one thing.

He'll get injured at some stage. You can take the guy out of Asrenal blah blah blah.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Lloris was bought for 8.5 million in 2008 and his price has only gone up.
    Exactly. Plus it's a World Cup year - can anyone who thinks we'll sign a big name from a WC finalist explain why you think they'd move 4/5 months before the tournament? I don't see it.
    Frisbee wrote:
    I'd like to see him go to West Brom or Newcastle.
    West Brom was what occurred to me, given their style of play, etc. but I'd be surprised if he got that much gametime (or even an offer) there, given that they're doing so well. If Burnley were interested, or even Birmingham, I think the deal should be done but I'd rather keep him than send him to the wrong place.

Frisbee wrote: »

Although I'm not sure how mych game time he'd get at either of them, he'd certainly get more at Celtic.

I think game time is the key. The lad's a smashing player and needs to be playing competitive games to improve, West brom or Newcastle would be great if he got game time.

So... CSKA, AC, Porto, Lyon, Inter or Stuttgart - let the discussion begin.

I never mind too much because I think we'll need to beat a couple of very good sides anyway if we're ever going to win the thing (which is what I'm really interested in doing) but in terms of just making the QF, Stuttgart stick out a mile from that list, with CSKA and Porto probably next easiest.

Stuttgart please.

Stuttgart
    AC
    CSKA
    Porto
    Lyon
    Inter

In a very specific Order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I always sway the same....lets get Inter and get them out of the way...if we can't beat them now why would we beat them in March.....first smartarse that says RVP gets a free kick up the hole.

Would just prefer the easiest draw possible. Going further in the competition means more money.

Yeah to win the competition you have to beat a decent team as some stage, but you certainly don't have to beat one in every single round.

Lyon.

The way they play, we'd tear them a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Isnt Hleb gone back to Stuttgart??

One more reason I cant see them beating us

Would just prefer the easiest draw possible. Going further in the competition means more money.

Yeah to win the competition you have to beat a decent team as some stage, but you certainly don't have to beat one in every single round.

30 years supporting the Arse and I've never considered the financial implications of supporting my club...I should probably start....but I can't shake off giving captain Kenny Sansom my burger in 1987 cos the fat f*ck was hungrier that me....different times I guess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

30 years supporting the Arse and I've never considered the financial implications of supporting my club...I should probably start....but I can't shake off giving captain Kenny Sansom my burger in 1987 cos the fat f*ck was hungrier that me....different times I guess!!

Haven't seen him on tv for a bit, used to be on Setanta UK a good bit.

• Advertisement

He may or may not have overdosed on cake and internet poker....it is not for us to speculate...ya know who I loved...Brian Marwood.....he was the man when I was a kid.....where is he now?.....probably shifting cake to Kenny Sansom.

Stuttgart
    AC
    CSKA
    Porto
    Lyon
    Inter

In a very specific Order

AC would be no pushover I reckon.. Be gald to avoid Lyon and either Italian team, but Id be confident we'd beat any of them over two legs especially with 2nd leg at the emirates..

Of course Ac would be no pushover, no team that made it to this stage will, except maybe Olympiacos and Stuttgart.

But I'd rather AC than a trip to Russia, a Porto or Lyon team in great from or Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is that list not missing Munich?

Of course Ac would be no pushover, no team that made it to this stage will, except maybe Olympiacos and Stuttgart.

But I'd rather AC than a trip to Russia, a Porto or Lyon team in great from or Inter.

Maybe you're right, but id take CSKA or Porto ahead of AC, just have a sneaky feeling AC will reach Quarters. Also gutted I didnt back Bayern Munich when they were 66/1 as they were my outside fancy this year, they're 18/1 now and I could have bet against and made a tidy profit..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement