Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Frisbee wrote: »
    Of course Ac would be no pushover, no team that made it to this stage will, except maybe Olympiacos and Stuttgart.

But I'd rather AC than a trip to Russia, a Porto or Lyon team in great from or Inter.

Lyon are a different beast to the one of 3 or 4 years ago. They haven't been any great shakes in France this year and having watched them play Liverpool both times I do think that we'd beat them comfortably. Things aren't too rosy in the camp either with Puel having made Toulalan play CB for a large part of the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

cson wrote: »
    Lyon are a different beast to the one of 3 or 4 years ago. They haven't been any great shakes in France this year and having watched them play Liverpool both times I do think that we'd beat them comfortably. Things aren't too rosy in the camp either with Puel having made Toulalan play CB for a large part of the season so far.

As a Lyon fan, I'd love to draw Arsenal.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Isnt Hleb gone back to Stuttgart??

One more reason I cant see them beating us

Guy walked past me the other day with a Barca 'Hleb' jersey.

No 1 all-time massive uber-fail!!!!! Surprised he actually wears it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

gosplan wrote: »
    Guy walked past me the other day with a Barca 'Hleb' jersey.

No 1 all-time massive uber-fail!!!!! Surprised he actually wears it tbh.

Ha!!! Classic, hope you pointed and laughed!!!

What's that, 3 clubs he's had since leaving us only a year and half ago? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

What's that, 3 clubs he's had since leaving us only a year and half ago? :p
    No, just 2 - straight from Barca to Stuttgart. Barca were going to loan him to Inter as part of the Ibra-Eto'o deal but Hleb couldn't agree terms. But his career's clearly gone backwards since leaving us.

I was sure he lined out for Inter at some stage, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I was sure he lined out for Inter at some stage, no?

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Good to see Jens is as mad as ever..

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »

Wont sleep tonight with that news :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bendtner out for another month. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Im reading that book by alex flynn at the moment, Making of a modern super club. The one thing im wondering in the book it seems they pushed DD out because of talking with kroenke and PHW all this we dont want his sort and we don't want his money.

Now it seems the board have warmed to stan kroenke and DD was doing the right thing all along ? Apart then from joining Red and White i understand but maybe i've not read enough and im missing something bluntly in my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Im reading that book by alex flynn at the moment, Making of a modern super club. The one thing im wondering in the book it seems they pushed DD out because of talking with kroenke and PHW all this we dont want his sort and we don't want his money.

Now it seems the board have warmed to stan kroenke and DD was doing the right thing all along ? Apart then from joining Red and White i understand but maybe i've not read enough and im missing something bluntly in my face.

They have warmed to Kroenke but probably because he is the lesser of two evils. The last thing the board want is a takeover from the Russian, Usmanov. That would spell disaster on a massive scale. I think even Wenger has been quoted as saying that if Usmanov takes over then he'll quit. (could be wrong bout that last sentence but I'll try dig out the quote)

No actual Wenger quotes, but this is the story....
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/11/08/1611768/arsene-wenger-threatening-to-quit-arsenal-over-takeover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Wenger saying he might look at sol campbell in january if we no longer have 4 defenders eg, if senderos leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Wenger saying he might look at sol campbell in january if we no longer have 4 defenders eg, if senderos leaves

Could do a lot worse. He's training with Arsenal at the moment. He's anxious to get back with a Premier League team

Yeah wouldnt be bad as an emergency cover and for fa cup games maybe, up against drogba or torres though would be a massacre

• Advertisement

Maybe we should just go into the Championship and try pick up 2 < 25yr olds for cover? Jagielka was plying his trade for Sheffield Utd there for a few years so there is a precedent for it I guess. Surely two half decent CBs from there would be cheap enough and better than Silvestre or Campbell? I know it won't happen and I'm clutching at straws but still. It works in FM :D

On a more serious and realistic note though, we are definitely going to be buying now Bendtner is out - who is the question? Would Van Nistelrooy be that bad?

Doubt Van Nistelroy, HAve a funny feeling itll be between Gignac and Huntelaar, both of whom have not looked the best when ive seen them

Signing Sol Campbell would be a ridiculous step backwards, he couldn't even hack it at Notts County ffs.

Maybe he didn't like what he saw but the last thing we need is another mentally fragile CB.

Letting Senderos go for Campbell would send all the wrong signals.

Senderos >>>>>>> Campbell

I wouldnt mind knabbing van Nistelrooy. An experienced striker for cover would be nice.

Campbell, no way. That man is a disaster. To bleedin' loopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bit harsh on Sol lads, was a great great player for us and imo an underrated player at his peak.

He is currently training with us and if we were to pick up an injury between now and transfer deadline day in that area would be a useful cb to have, and would do a job for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Maybe we should just go into the Championship and try pick up 2 < 25yr olds for cover? Jagielka was plying his trade for Sheffield Utd there for a few years so there is a precedent for it I guess. Surely two half decent CBs from there would be cheap enough and better than Silvestre or Campbell? I know it won't happen and I'm clutching at straws but still. It works in FM :D
    ?

I doubt Arsene has a scout network on players over the age of 16 ... :D
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Sol lads, was a great great player for us and imo an underrated player at his peak.

He is currently training with us and if we were to pick up an injury between now and transfer deadline day in that area would be a useful cb to have, and would do a job for us.

He was a quality player regardless of who he was with, unfortunately the last couple of years he hasn't had the same mentality imo ...

• Advertisement

I really don't think he could do a job for us. He is currently less than half the player he was when playing for us. He's also showed bizarre behavioural patterns which suggest he is not the full shilling. Not worth the gamble IMO.

I really don't think he could do a job for us. He is currently less than half the player he was when playing for us. He's also showed bizarre behavioural patterns which suggest he is not the full shilling. Not worth the gamble IMO.

The fact that he is being allowed train with the first team squad would suggest that is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The fact that he is being allowed train with the first team squad would suggest that is ok.

I wouldn't look on it as anything other than a kind gesture...maybe I'm wrong though!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I wouldn't look on it as anything other than a kind gesture...maybe I'm wrong though!

I know, Arsenal are good like that, but the fact that he is being allowed train with the sqaud would suggest to me that Arsene believes their are no problems with him, but if we were to have a couple of injuries I could honestly see Arsene signing him short term.

I really couldn't see the point of it. Yes he used to be a great player.

But why bother taking the time to sign him.

When Senderos, who is better than him, can't even get on our bench?

• Advertisement

I really couldn't see the point of it. Yes he used to be a great player.

But why bother taking the time to sign him.

When Senderos, who is better than him, can't even get on our bench?

Not going to happen but hearing what Arsene said today suggested to me that if we pick up injuries between now and transfer deadline day, he would sign him short term.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Senderos will be sold in January, and it won't be any great loss. I'm very much against Sol being brought in but I do think an experienced centre-half would be a good idea. Nordtveit seems to be doing well in the Bundesliga so I'd imagine he'll be added to the roster next season, and we'll have Djourou then too. A short term option who is a bit stronger mentally than Senderos would be a welcome addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

jees lads the rumour mill is working overtime on arsenal players from the past rejoining isnt it?! First the vieira rumours, then sol campbell... whos next, hleb? Henry*?

*though I doubt he could handle a move back to the EPL

jasonorr wrote: »

That's all it is. Wenger has let many players train with Arsenal to work on their fitness with no intention of signing them. I believe we did the same with Emmanuel Petit and Ray Parlour in the past. Not to mention,
    C_71_article_1030706_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Doubt Van Nistelroy, HAve a funny feeling itll be between Gignac and Huntelaar, both of whom have not looked the best when ive seen them

Van Nistelroy would be a nice addition, its a striker who'll get you bread and butter goals that we need.. Huntelaar would be decent too imo

Huntelaar will cost afair bit, plus there's the inevitable dilemma when RvP and Bendtner regain fitness (not forgetting Eduardo) as to who will lead the front line.
    Ruud van Nistelrooy is every bit the goalscorer Huntelaar is, but we could get a strong 6 months out of him, then when the lads return from injury he will either be happy to stay as backup or move on.
    Signing Huntelaar would certainly mean offloading someone in the summer.

Huntelaar will cost afair bit, plus there's the inevitable dilemma when RvP and Bendtner regain fitness (not forgetting Eduardo) as to who will lead the front line.
    Ruud van Nistelrooy is every bit the goalscorer Huntelaar is, but we could get a strong 6 months out of him, then when the lads return from injury he will either be happy to stay as backup or move on.
    Signing Huntelaar would certainly mean offloading someone in the summer.

Ya Horse-face is probably the prudent choice alright..

Van Nistelroy would be a nice addition, its a striker who'll get you bread and butter goals that we need..

Or spend most of his time on the treatment table

I agree but two big problems with Van nistelrooy, 1. He has alot of bad history with the club, 'that penalty' and Wenger calling him a cheat. 2. He is really injury prone, do we need another one of them. But yea apart from that hed be ideal.

Huntellar woukldnt be that dear hes been a disaster at Milan

I don't think there's any other player in the world I'd like to see line up in an Arsenal jersey less than Ruud van Nistelrooy.

If he came for 6 months I'd just feel dirty watching him and actually wanting him to score.

• Advertisement

Ya, Ive a good hunch about Huntelaar, our style of play would suit him and Wenger is the man to turn carbon into diamonds.. I hear ya on the injury thing Frisbee..

So thoughts for 2moro lads, going to go out on a limb and say 0-2 to us with Arshavin and Fabs scoring..

I'll say 2-1 to us. I can never predict this Arsenal team getting a clean sheet.

5-5 with Arshavin getting 5

In reality, 2-1 Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think theres a chance in hell Ruud would join Arsenal. Him and Keane embodied the intense rivalry with Arsenal.

5-5 with Arshavin getting 5

In reality, 2-1 Pool

Yup, this is the type of game Liverpool inevitably pox their way to a win. Probably secured by some Mellor-esque screamer from 30 yards by a Mellor-esque player who fades into Mellor-esque obscurity. Along with Fabregas being injured along the way. :(

I'm just hoping they used up all of their good luck against Everton last week, with karma demanding pay back tommorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I don't think there's any other player in the world I'd like to see line up in an Arsenal jersey less than Ruud van Nistelrooy.

If he came for 6 months I'd just feel dirty watching him and actually wanting him to score.

I was the same with Sol Campbell and David Platt....but ya know what....the shirt kinda suited them......just don't bring Keown to the welcome party.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal to win 6-1. Goals (in order): Fabregas, Walcott, Torres, Arshavin, Eduardo, Vela, Vermaelen. You heard it here first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Such a massive no to the RVN idea.

Don't want him and he'd be no use to us anyway.

• Advertisement

Big game tomorrow now... ok yeah it was always a big game. A win and things look very different all of a sudden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement