Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Can we even do that? I remember we couldn't play Arshavin last time, but I'm ignorant of the rules specifically.

We can buy him, but he wouldn't be allowed play for us in the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can we even do that? I remember we couldn't play Arshavin last time, but I'm ignorant of the rules specifically.
    The Hulk like Arshavin is cup tied after having played in Europe for anoother team already. If we were to buy someone that has not played in Europe this season he could be registered for the knock out phases. The reigstration for Europe happens before the groups and then there are changes allowed before the knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

We could buy him but it'd be stupid as he can't play for us. And he's not that good. Actually that's just tempting fate :o Anyway, happy enough with the draw - but as always, I'd be looking to really make a mark on the competition, which I'm not sure we'll do this year without RVP.
    gosplan wrote:
    The credibility of the league and the credibility of the Carling cup are very different things.
    What about the credibility of the Champions League? Our selection against Olympiakos played a big part in giving Standard Liege a lot less chance to go through. I even saw Arseblogger or someone saying "Sorry Standard, but you made your bed now lie in it". I agree, and it seems you do to, which means McCarthy can play what team he wants and Wenger should concentrate on winning the league himself, rather than banking on Wolves to do it for us.

Though as I said, I think he's just distracting from the Burnley result a bit in the hope that a few wins in a row now will see us on a good run overall since the 'Pool match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    We could buy him but it'd be stupid as he can't play for us.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we bought Hulk or Dzeko even though they are cup tied we still have the league. Buying a Champions league cup tied player wouldn't be that stupid at all imo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We can buy a player who has played in the Europa league and register him, just not the CL.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I wouldn't be unhappy if we bought Hulk or Dzeko even though they are cup tied we still have the league. Buying a Champions league cup tied player wouldn't be that stupid at all imo
    Sorry, I also think it'd be stupid because I don't think he's that good.

Good luck getting Dzeko - if he didn't move to Milan last summer, why would he move to Arsenal in January? Or indeed move anywhere in a World Cup year. I think he's holding out for a bigger move after the World Cup, as a lot of players (and agents) probably will be.

EDIT: Personally I think the best we could hope for is a loan deal - and even then I think the player would have to be from a non-WC country (or outside his national squad). Pavlyuchenko is the kind of person I think Arsene might look at, maybe even Kalou again, though I'd find that strange from Kalou's/Chelsea's point of view.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    If Burnley were interested, or even Birmingham, I think the deal should be done but I'd rather keep him than send him to the wrong place.
    Looks like it's a possibility at least:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-wilshere-could-join-burnley-on-loan

Be good experience for him if a deal gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Very favourable draw for us, happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

while we are of course happy enough with the draw let us not forget PSV a few years back.

first leg home or away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

First leg away at Porto as we were group winners. Happy enough with the draw. Need to be careful in the Stadium of the Dragon though. Need an away goal that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

It annoys me to think of how much we've squandered chances this season. Looking at the table the west ham game, the united game, the burnley game there midweek. All should have won and thats an extra seven points. Today's game against hull just got that more important considering how Fulham are treating United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

SDTimeout wrote: »
    It annoys me to think of how much we've squandered chances this season. Looking at the table the west ham game, the united game, the burnley game there midweek. All should have won and thats an extra seven points. Today's game against hull just got that more important considering how Fulham are treating United.

Didnt deserve any more than a point against Burnley, you could argue we didnt even deserve a point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

sorry if its already been posted but is their a live stream on the match today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Good news with UTD dropping points. I have my suspicions Chelsea won't take all 3 pts tomorrow, either.

Hull is a must win now, we must take advantage of this. Might give the team some confidence before heading into the game.

Didnt deserve any more than a point against Burnley, you could argue we didnt even deserve a point..
    Exactly - you can't just say we're a better team, so we should've had those points. In fact, even at that, United are probably a better team than we are. All you can do is deal with what happens during the season and hope you're on top at the end.

A win today would put us 2 points behind Utd with a game in hand, and 5 points behind Chelsea with the same amount of games played before they play West Ham tomorrow. Not the time to slip up.

• Advertisement

Liverpool dropped points earlier, and United look like they're on the way to a loss.
    3 points today would be huge

Frisbee wrote: »
    Liverpool dropped points earlier, and United look like they're on the way to a loss.
    3 points today would be huge
    Can't wait for the match! Is it on TV or will we be streaming it?

ESPN

which means a stream for me

I see Denilson is back aswell, might mean we don't see Ramsey... :(

Team according to Arsenal.com:

Almunia

Eboue
    Gallas
    Vermaelen
    Silvestre

Diaby
    Song
    Denilson

Nasri
    Eduardo
    Arshavin

Frisbee wrote: »
    ESPN

which means a stream for me

I see Denilson is back aswell, might mean we don't see Ramsey...

Same here, gonna stream this game. I would rather have Ramsey playing, we'll probably see him come on as a sub anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Here's hoping Eduardo puts in a good performance tonight

Here's hoping Eduardo puts in a good performance tonight
    I'll...try to be optimistic before this game.

Rivals dropped points today.
    Don't mess up guys!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Any good streams lads?

Good result, no, great result. Especially without Fabregas, it has shown we can get the points in style even without our captain. Diaby played really well today, but I'm still not so sure he can play like that against the 'bigger' teams.

Nice to see Denilson score from the free as well.

Walcott should have scored. Unfortunate but no surprise there.

Haven't bottled the title yet.

Abou Diaby MotM? :D

Absolutely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

One good game doesn't change anything. He's still useless. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone here subscribe to Arsenal TV?

Great to see Ray Parlour tonight on the post match show, he seems to think we may well sign a couple of players on loan rather than buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

In the quiet words of Tim Lovejoy; it's only Ray Parlour tbh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

cson wrote: »
    In the quiet words of Tim Lovejoy; it's only Ray Parlour tbh. :D

Was there that day with one hell of a hangover from the night before, had a bet on Parlour for man of the match @28/1 which he won, paid for the trip :)

I was just reading bluemoon there, curious as to how dear old Ade was doing. Not sure what game it was from, but below were all the ratings he was given. Does anyone know - do they do their ratings out of 5 or 10?
    Adebayor 1 f**k off
    Ade..................3
    Adebayor 2 - LaShocking performance. Never looked bothered, out of position, and the 1 chance he did have missed. Should have been taken off, not robinho.
    Adebayor 4 - The only reason why I knew he was playing was because he was f****g s***e
    Adebayor - a generous 1
    Adebayor 3 - Another I've never rated, never in the right place at the right time and nearly every touch he had was poo.
    Adeayor 1 Turned up
    Adebayor 3
    ade 4 too lazy
    Adebayor 4 - Laughable.
    Adeybayor - 3 LAZY. Gooners are laughing their tits off at us now
    Adebayor - 5 - Don't like saying this about player but looked uninterested tonight. Not his best game to say the least.
    Adebayor 1 - Lazybayor
    Adebayor 5 - Minimal impact, didn't look bothered...LAZY.
    Glad to see he's proving Arsenal fans wrong :)

Mind you he got two 5s and a paycheck so he's probably happy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

City supporters must be thrilled with him :pac:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Anyone here subscribe to Arsenal TV?

Great to see Ray Parlour tonight on the post match show, he seems to think we may well sign a couple of players on loan rather than buy.
    Kind of agree, that seems to be the reality of it but Song turned around really well so maybe Diaby might too. They're around the same age so we may see something consistent yet from him.

...As for Adebayor, I can't say I'm surprised. Good we got rid of him, absolutely useless most of the time as he just didn't care. I reckon he would have fallen in value at the end of this season as well once people realised this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I was just reading bluemoon there, curious as to how dear old Ade was doing. Not sure what game it was from, but below were all the ratings he was given. Does anyone know - do they do their ratings out of 5 or 10?

Mind you he got two 5s and a paycheck so he's probably happy enough

Said it here before, he's a player that has no trouble motivating himself when it's personal but is useless at doing so when it's for a team.

A good footballer but all in all, a sh1te professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

great result today lads and as an added bonus a really good read about Arsenal's academy from the daily mail no less!

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We're coming for you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dont know if this has been posted before, but too funny not to re-post anyway...

Arshavin vs Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

jasonorr wrote: »
    Diaby gets slated on here but, I'm always impressed when I see him playing through the middle, his favourite position!

Ahem ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Diaby has always played well for us...much better than Denilson in my opinion and offers so much more.

That said, Denilson's free kick and that really long pass (to walcott or eduardo, can't remember) towards the end were impressive; but overall I fail to see what he offers in comparison to Diaby. Diaby can tackle, has a strong physical presence to knock players off the ball, can play through balls, get into good attacking positions and a good finisher.

Denilson is a decent passer and we just realised he can score free kicks.

Denilson is far more consistent and is better defensively. More disciplined, reads the game better, a much better all-round CM and he offers the added insurance that gives Cesc license to get forward. At any rate Diaby is competing for Cesc's position so as soon as he comes back he'll be back to where he belongs - on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Fabregas is playing behind the front man right now - I don't see why Diaby can't compete for Denilson's position alongside Song. And I don't agree Denilson is better defensively. Diaby played the holding midfield role a couple of times last season and is a great ball-winner.

Denilson, Diaby and Fabregas are all completely different players imo. It just doesn't feel right comparing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I think yesterday was a massive win for us given that our two most influential attackers and top scorers were both out. Six points from our games against Villa and Pompey please Santa :pac:

Fabregas is playing behind the front man right now - I don't see why Diaby can't compete for Denilson's position alongside Song. And I don't agree Denilson is better defensively. Diaby played the holding midfield role a couple of times last season and is a great ball-winner.
    Diaby doesn't have the discpline for that role at all and he's not a great ball winner either. He's a big lad with madskillz but he doesn't have a clue defensively. Clumsy, highly prone to making moronic decisions, generally takes far too long to release the ball and has no idea how to position himself. He's an attacking midfielder, simply. Good at holding onto the ball, bringing it forward and has a decent shot, while his decision making is fractionally better than Eboue's.

• Advertisement

Chelsea dropped points. Happy days.

Denilson, Diaby and Fabregas are all completely different players imo. It just doesn't feel right comparing them.
    Bingo.

But where's all this stuff about Diaby being a great ball-winner coming from? Denilson wins far more ball, Song likewise. Ever since Arsene trotted out those stats last year about Denilson's tackles and interceptions I've watched out for it and he mops up some amount of attacks. Having said that, I think Denilson and Diaby will both get gametime alongside Cesc and Song over the next while.

Great week for us, taking 7 points compared to Chelsea's 5 and United's 3. See I said after the Burnley match that a point wasn't bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Another weekend where results from other games goes the way of Arsenal. Super stuff from West Ham and Fulham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Another weekend where results from other games goes the way of Arsenal. Super stuff from West Ham and Fulham

Now all there is to do is capitalise on it... which seems to be easier said than done these days.

5 games in the space of 2 weeks over the Christmas period.

27th - Villa (H)
    30th - Portsmouth (A)
    3rd - West Ham (Cup)
    6th - Bolton (H)
    9th - Everton (H)

Should make for a few good games.

Our record at Emirates against Villa is less than good and without Bendtner or van Persie this is going to be very tough. I'll be rather surprised if we win tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement